Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,323 members, 7,819,103 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:22 AM

Another Heartbreak, Another Democracy Day - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Another Heartbreak, Another Democracy Day (310 Views)

Nigeria May Not Celebrate Another Democracy Day Says Soyinka / Nigeria May Not Celebrate Another Democracy Day Except… —soyinka / Caption This Photo Of President Buhari And Saraki At The Democracy Day Lecture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Another Heartbreak, Another Democracy Day by gbenyi: 6:43am On May 29, 2018
Each time I think of Nigeria, my heart goes sobber. I feel shattered like a Humpty-dumpty falling off the wall. I feel like walking through the Sahara Desert and swimming the Mediterranean sea. Every democracy day, my heart aches and breaks.

What is the Democracy Day in Nigeria?

For political leaders and politicians, democracy day is one of the most important holidays in the country. It is the day "they" celebrate the return of democracy in Nigeria.

And how has this democracy fared since then?

Some (politicians especially) will argue that we now have Freedom of speech, Freedom of association, Massive development, Better governance at the local levels etc but it's all a facade. If you doubt me, name your dog "buhari" or cry when your people get killed. The only development I see is "there is a yearly increase in the number of pregnant men wearing agbada, building mansions and driving fancy cars". I see a few hijack all engines of government and run the entire country to suit their needs. I see a people manipulated by the privileged elite class using ethnicity and religion for their own selfish aggrandisement.

Now, they say democracy is the best system of government, and I ask how? How can a man who knows not his left from his right be let to choose what suits him better? He is most likely to make a bad choice.

And we have always made bad choices.

Nigerians don't deserve democracy, we would have educated ourselves to a certain level before even thinking of it.

I write mostly about lifestyle and relationships
Re: Another Heartbreak, Another Democracy Day by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:46am On May 29, 2018
TRUE words
Re: Another Heartbreak, Another Democracy Day by horlarwereleh(m): 6:51am On May 29, 2018
Hmmnmm

(1) (Reply)

Budget Padding: Court Orders Buhari To Prosecute Indicted Lawmakers / Dino Melaye Requests For Sit Change In The Senate, Opt To Sit With David Mark / Some Lessons We Can Learn From Saraki’s Ordeal With The Police

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.