Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,597 members, 7,812,956 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:41 PM

The Role Of Religion/trad. Towards Enhancement Of A Viable Democratic Society - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Role Of Religion/trad. Towards Enhancement Of A Viable Democratic Society (1593 Views)

What Is The Role Of Santa Claus In Christianity And Christmas? / Tb Joshua - 'Pray Against The Interruption Of Democratic Practice (Throwback) / Thank God For Slavery- A Case Of Religion Turning Blacks To Fools (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Role Of Religion/trad. Towards Enhancement Of A Viable Democratic Society by paxonel(m): 6:55am On May 29, 2018
Proverbs 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.

Proverbs 14:34 Righteousness exalteth a nation: but sin is a reproach to any people.

Matthew 15:3 But he answered and said unto them, Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition?

Let me identifying some core values of the African tradition which are antagonistic to the 10 commandments(commandments of Love) which are still inculcated to children growing up in Africa by their parents and their religious leaders in all churches and mosques in Africa, which have indirectly plunge Africa(Nigeria as a nation) into the current level of moral decadence we are experiencing in our nation today among our youths and our political elites.
Now, not all African traditional beliefs and values are bad.
We have good values such as the way we relate to one another, our traditional dressing codes, our music and dances,
The various kind of food in our cultures, the way we show respect to our elders by prostrating before them etc. All these are good traditional values that should be sustained.
But the ones that are antagonistic to
Love and the 10 commandments of God like i said, has to do with this two:

1. Superstitious beliefs : Africans are so superstitious(perhaps, out of fear of the unknown) that they now practice their superstition in churches and mosques. When you hear Christians casting and binding demons and witchcrafts or sowing financial seed or tithe to pastors rather than going out there to work for their fortune they are just simply being superstitious.

2. Unnecessary regards to superiors: This traditional value is very common among the Yorubas and Hausas(Muslims in particular)
I'm not against the youths showing repects and regards to their leaders or parents at home, ofcourse that is paramount to their success in life, but when the leader is taking undue advantage of his position and infringe on the rights of his subordinates or his children at home or the people of the constituency he is representing at the state or national level, or the church or mosque he is leading, then it becomes something unfortunate and sympathetic that requires the people to fight for their emancipation.

In Africa, cases where parents are infringing on the rights of their children at home still exist,
or the man shifting the responsibility of taking care of the children to the woman saying I'm the man of house, or pastors threatening church members of hell fire if they do not comply to their financial requests
Or some Imam fundermentalists assuming the mouth piece of Allah, compelling the ignorant innocent people to be sympathetic to their course of killing Christians and even Muslims who do not share their beliefs.
or politians not being accountable to the people saying i owe no one explanation.

How long shall we continue to suffer under them in silence without speaking out atleast?

Today, we are celebrating democracy day and i believe it is time for the youths to reflect on the type of life we are living, whether we are living it democratically at all levels or we prefer being autocratic, not giving explanation to what we do to our subordinates, because certainly, some of us will find ourselves up there someday leading the country.
If we eventually do, are we going to continue with these corrupt fundermentals we were brought up with in the name of tradition and religion?

Ofcourse, we have the option to make amendments to our values and belief systems it is never too late.

lalasticlala, Mynd44

1 Like

Re: The Role Of Religion/trad. Towards Enhancement Of A Viable Democratic Society by vaxx: 8:49am On May 29, 2018
for your article to become a valid conclusion.. Present to us the negative effect of Christianity teachings in African society . i agree not all its teaching are bad . so you can compliment it. With the already said about African tradition. It is not intelligent enough to be bias. What is it that is not good in biblical teaching. I await your unbiased response.
Re: The Role Of Religion/trad. Towards Enhancement Of A Viable Democratic Society by paxonel(m): 9:15am On May 29, 2018
vaxx:
for your article to become a valid conclusion.. Present to us the negative effect of Christianity teachings in African society . i agree not all its teaching are bad . so you can compliment it. With the already said about African tradition. It is not intelligent enough to be bias. What is it that is not good in biblical teaching. I await your unbiased response.
i mentioned superstitious beliefs in churches .
Just because there is existence of the supernatural,it does not imply that witches and wizards are the ones responsible for the predicaments of Nigerian christians.
When you go to churches, the order of the day is always prayer against device of the demons which is not bad anyway.
But by the time the idea presented by the prayer leader or the pastor is that someones misfortune in life comes from one old woman or mother in the village(always woman) or some fellow human who they think is a witch, guess what the effect will be?
The fellow will end up hating the woman or mother or the person.

The fellow will never know exactly where his problem is coming from, in order for him to find a lasting solution himself.

The fellow will become perpetually confused and loose his self esteem and confidence depending on pastors and prayers

The fellow will never grow to become truly intelligent

1 Like

Re: The Role Of Religion/trad. Towards Enhancement Of A Viable Democratic Society by vaxx: 10:35am On May 29, 2018
paxonel:
i mentioned superstitious beliefs in churches .
Just because there is existence of the supernatural,it does not imply that witches and wizards are the ones responsible for the predicaments of Nigerian christians.
When you go to churches, the order of the day is always prayer against device of the demons which is not bad anyway.
But by the time the idea presented by the prayer leader or the pastor is that someones misfortune in life comes from one old woman or mother in the village(always woman) or some fellow human who they think is a witch, guess what the effect will be?
The fellow will end up hating the woman or mother or the person.

The fellow will never know exactly where his problem is coming from, in order for him to find a lasting solution himself.

The fellow will become perpetually confused and loose his self esteem and confidence depending on pastors and prayers

The fellow will never grow to become truly intelligent
good , you are still repeating African tradition believe that has been ingrained to main Christianity which should be discarded. I quite agree with you. Since it does not add value to African society.

But my question is What are the core tradition teaching of Christianity that is not really good for african society and needs immediate abrogation? If African want to move forward.
Re: The Role Of Religion/trad. Towards Enhancement Of A Viable Democratic Society by paxonel(m): 12:51pm On May 29, 2018
vaxx:
good , you are still repeating African tradition believe that has been ingrained to main Christianity which should be discarded. I quite agree with you. Since it does not add value to African society.

But my question is What are the core tradition teaching of Christianity that is not really good for african society and needs immediate abrogation? If African want to move forward.
non!
Except those African beliefs i mentioned.

Christianity or Islam if allowed the way their holy books presented their ideas will never constitute any problem to any nation rather they admonish adherenents to obey God's laws which will improve the way they live

1 Like

Re: The Role Of Religion/trad. Towards Enhancement Of A Viable Democratic Society by vaxx: 3:19pm On May 29, 2018
paxonel:
non!
Except those African beliefs i mentioned. [sub][/sub]

Christianity or Islam if allowed the way their holy books presented their ideas will never constitute any problem to any nation rather they admonish adherenents to obey God's laws which will improve the way they live
You just make a bogus claim ......these book you called holy are written by human and human by nature are bound to err. And if you claim this book are so holy that every principle , moral guide and rituals in them are perfect, therefore no need for further modification or correction. You just become primitive and it will be right for me to call you fundamentalist who refuse to evolved....

This indeed is a very dangerous concept to the development of African society.....

1 Like

Re: The Role Of Religion/trad. Towards Enhancement Of A Viable Democratic Society by paxonel(m): 4:16pm On May 29, 2018
vaxx:
You just make a bogus claim ......these book you called holy are written by human and human by nature are bound to err. And if you claim this book are so holy that every principle , moral guide and rituals in them are perfect, therefore no need for further modification or correction. You just become primitive and it will be right for me to call you fundamentalist who refuse to evolved....

This indeed is a very dangerous concept to the development of African society.....
whether they are truly holy or not that's not the issue.
The issue I am saying is that, if any of these books serves as references to moral codes for Nigerians using them, then they should abide by the moral codes and ignore external traditional influences that will make them do otherwise grin

1 Like

Re: The Role Of Religion/trad. Towards Enhancement Of A Viable Democratic Society by vaxx: 4:31pm On May 29, 2018
paxonel:
whether they are truly holy or not that's not the issue.
The issue I am saying is that, if any of these books serves as references to moral codes for Nigerians using them, then they should abide by the moral codes and ignore external traditional influences that will make them do otherwise grin
you earlier labelled them holy not me.and I complement it. Your assumptions had once been practiced and it was not successful. Read how France separate church from state. The reasons behind it.

1 Like

Re: The Role Of Religion/trad. Towards Enhancement Of A Viable Democratic Society by MuttleyLaff: 5:26pm On May 29, 2018
vaxx:
good, you are still repeating African tradition believe that has been ingrained to main Christianity which should be discarded. I quite agree with you. Since it does not add value to African society.

But my question is
What are the core tradition teaching of Christianity that is not really good for african society and needs immediate abrogation?
If African want to move forward

paxonel:
non!
Except those African beliefs i mentioned.

Christianity or Islam if allowed the way their holy books presented their ideas will never constitute any problem to any nation
rather they admonish adherenents to obey God's laws which will improve the way they live
I agree, non, with paxonel

vaxx, you earlier made the below quoted comment:
"Present to us the negative effect of Christianity teachings in African society.
i agree not all its teaching are bad. so you can compliment it.
With the already said about African tradition. It is not intelligent enough to be bias.
What is it that is not good in biblical teaching. I await your unbiased response.
"

Please go ahead and share this strong personal opinion(s) you have,
about core tradition teaching of Christianity that is not really good for african society and and so needs immediate abrogation
Re: The Role Of Religion/trad. Towards Enhancement Of A Viable Democratic Society by vaxx: 11:12pm On May 29, 2018
MuttleyLaff:

I agree, non, with paxonel

vaxx, you earlier made the below quoted comment:
"Present to us the negative effect of Christianity teachings in African society.
i agree not all its teaching are bad. so you can compliment it.
With the already said about African tradition. It is not intelligent enough to be bias.
What is it that is not good in biblical teaching. I await your unbiased response.
"

Please go ahead and share this strong personal opinion(s) you have,
about core tradition teaching of Christianity that is not really good for african society and and so needs immediate abrogation
I am honest to my self . the op had done well by pointing out some flaws with our traditional cuilture which I agree it is not fashionable to our current society if we yarn for development.

But he was primitive enough to called Christianity flawless while you also compliment him. A higher form of biased. You are even requesting i shouild present what i consider not good enough so you can apply some mental gymnastic to solve it while living the truth in limbo. How dishonest can that be bro....

This is a sign of fundamentalist...... We can never be wrong....... My bible is inerent till infinity...

1 Like

Re: The Role Of Religion/trad. Towards Enhancement Of A Viable Democratic Society by paxonel(m): 3:26am On May 30, 2018
vaxx:
you earlier labelled them holy not me.and I complement it. Your assumptions had once been practiced and it was not successful. Read how France separate church from state. The reasons behind it.
oh!
I will rather have them seperated too in Nigeria.
And do you know why those books are still referred to as holy in France and elsewhere till this moment?
It is simply because seperating the church from the state did not stop people from reading the bible.

Now, let me ask you, what reference book do you fall back to as an atheist?
Whatever it is, that is your holy book
Re: The Role Of Religion/trad. Towards Enhancement Of A Viable Democratic Society by vaxx: 6:04am On May 30, 2018
paxonel:
oh!
I will rather have them seperated too in Nigeria.
And do you know why those books are still referred to as holy in France and elsewhere till this moment?
It is simply because seperating the church from the state did not stop people from reading the bible.

Now, let me ask you, what reference book do you fall back to as an atheist?
Whatever it is, that is your holy book
they are labelled holy, since human are anthropocentric in nature. We always want to put reference/relevance on a particular object over another. Just like the way we honour and value gold more than every other stones. Let me enlightened you on how the world holy was inscribed into the bible

In a tradition settings of the bible, it is an expanded form of the name held over from its original Greek title, τὰ βιβλία τὰ ἅγια, which literally means "the holy scrolls." In the original Greek, τό βιβλίον (τὰ βιβλία is the plural form) is a generic, therefore not a proper noun, so the adjective τὰγια was necessary to specify which scrolls were being talked about: the holy scrolls, not just any old scrolls. In Latin, this expression was partially translated and partially borrowed as biblia sacra (Latin at the time did not use definite articles). Greek words were borrowed into Latin all the time, so even in Latin it might have needed clarification.it is about identify which manuscript should be scriptural. Have you ever hear the Muslim referring to Quran as holy Quran or the Hindu referring the Vedas as holy. Or the jews referring tanakh as holy?

To your question, I am not an atheist, and i am surprised you labelled me as one. I am a traditionalist who tolerate every idea that add value to humanity. And it cut across every religion while using IFA teaching as my watchwords. In essence i fall back to myself within. I am the keeper of my own conscience.

My Biggest victory is not to be found outside , it is to win myself.

A self realised person is like bright illuminating light. Hope that answer your question.

So tell me why you are a fundamentalist?
Re: The Role Of Religion/trad. Towards Enhancement Of A Viable Democratic Society by paxonel(m): 6:58am On May 30, 2018
vaxx:
they are labelled holy, since human are anthropocentric in nature. We always want to put reference/relevance on a particular object over another. Just like the way we honour and value gold more than every other stones. Let me enlightened on how the world hold holy was inscribed into the bible

In a tradition settings of the bible, it is an expanded form of the name held over from its original Greek title, τὰ βιβλία τὰ ἅγια, which literally means "the holy scrolls." In the original Greek, τό βιβλίον (τὰ βιβλία is the plural form) is a generic, therefore not a proper noun, so the adjective τὰγια was necessary to specify which scrolls were being talked about: the holy scrolls, not just any old scrolls. In Latin, this expression was partially translated and partially borrowed as biblia sacra (Latin at the time did not use definite articles). Greek words were borrowed into Latin all the time, so even in Latin it might have needed clarification.it is about identify which manuscript should be scriptural. Have you ever hear the Muslim referring to Quran as holy Quran or the Hindu referring the Vedas as holy. Or the jews referring tanakh as holy?
that's the point!
Being anthropocentric is a characteristic of the human nature. Whether we call the books holy or not the fact still remains that they serves as guidelines to the human conscience over the years till this moment cos everyone have their flaws.

To your question, I am not an atheist, and i am surprised you labelled me as one.
because you sounded as one who never had a reference book to fall back on, when you need some principles guiding your morals like most atheists do.

I am a traditionalist who tolerate every idea that add value to humanity. And it cut across every religion
good religion, keep it up!

while using IFA teaching as my watchwords.
then IFA is your holy book

In essence i fall back to myself within. I am the keeper of my own conscience
My Biggest victory is not to be found outside , it is to win myself.
adherents of other religions do this too. Christians, Muslims, atheists, Buddhists or whatever

A self realised person is like bright illuminating light. Hope that answer your question.
yes! It answers my question

So tell me why you are a fundamentalist?
in the real sense everyone is a fundamentalist. Atleast you just gave me a few shot of your traditional fundamental beliefs which is very good
Re: The Role Of Religion/trad. Towards Enhancement Of A Viable Democratic Society by MuttleyLaff: 7:47am On May 30, 2018
vaxx:
I am honest to my self .
the op had done well by pointing out some flaws with our traditional cuilture which I agree it is not fashionable to our current society if we yarn for development.

But he was primitive enough to called Christianity flawless while you also compliment him. A higher form of biased.
Why dont you go ahead and share the flaws you are aware of then?

vaxx:
You are even requesting i shouild present what i consider not good enough
so you can apply some mental gymnastic to solve it while living the truth in limbo.
How dishonest can that be bro....
Stop shuffling please.
Just present what you considered not good enough and leave out there so others can determine the merit of the opinion(s)

vaxx:
This is a sign of fundamentalist......
This comment is out of place

vaxx:
We can never be wrong...
This line of thought is unneccesary

vaxx:
My bible is inerent till infinity...
Please here is an opportunity to share where the bible is inerrant
Re: The Role Of Religion/trad. Towards Enhancement Of A Viable Democratic Society by vaxx: 9:45am On May 30, 2018
paxonel:

then IFA is your holy book
adherents of other religions do this too. Christians, Muslims, atheists, Buddhists or whatever
yes! It answers my question
in the real sense everyone is a fundamentalist. Atleast you just gave me a few shot of your traditional fundamental beliefs which is very good
The Yoruba spiritual system is not a “revealed” religion made up by a clergy of prophets as seen in Constantine’s Christianity or Muhammad’s Islam less than 1,700 years ago.

The Yoruba spiritual system, like all indigenous African systems, was developed over hundreds of thousands of years from the village culture. This was mastered at a time when no Homosapien lived outside of Africa. When the the Black African was not only the first but only practitioner of civilization. Therefore IFA is not to be found in book but in society.

The nature of ifa system is about how to achieve harmony in the village. As the village developed into a town and then a city and then a kingdom, the system became more complex in order to deal with larger issues.

However, IFA: was never imperialistic like Islam or Christianity which was designed for control over vast territories. This is why the Yoruba system, which is profound in its original form,can be easily adjustedde for it to address the communal needs of its intercontinental community. A great challenge, for we have seen all other religions fail. Expecially those with fundamentist mimd.in IFA, the same principle that was the pillar of the village is also the pillar of the global society. This principle odudu iwa “Balanced Character.” that got modify ,adjusted as the need for the needs for the society development increase.

I am not a fundamentalist , as my faith did not allow that.....
Re: The Role Of Religion/trad. Towards Enhancement Of A Viable Democratic Society by vaxx: 9:58am On May 30, 2018
MuttleyLaff:
Why dont you go ahead and share the flaws you are aware of then?

Stop shuffling please.
Just present what you considered not good enough and leave out there so others can determine the merit of the opinion(s)

This comment is out of place

This line of thought is unneccesary

Please here is an opportunity to share where the bible is inerrant
I am not ready for mumbo jumbo , selective perception, cognitive dissonance and confirmation bias. If I feel the urge to play the mental game where the obvious truth will be glaring at us and we will still feel the need to debate it . I will create a thread over it and mention you..... You once honour my john 3 vs 16 thread right? So anticipate another one from me soon.
Re: The Role Of Religion/trad. Towards Enhancement Of A Viable Democratic Society by paxonel(m): 10:08am On May 30, 2018
vaxx:
The Yoruba spiritual system is not a “revealed” religion made up by a clergy of prophets as seen in Constantine’s Christianity or Muhammad’s Islam less than 1,700 years ago.

The Yoruba spiritual system, like all indigenous African systems, was developed over hundreds of thousands of years from the village culture. This was mastered at a time when no Homosapien lived outside of Africa. When the the Black African was not only the first but only practitioner of civilization. Therefore IFA is not to be found in book but in society.

The nature of ifa system is about how to achieve harmony in the village. As the village developed into a town and then a city and then a kingdom, the system became more complex in order to deal with larger issues.

However, IFA: was never imperialistic like Islam or Christianity which was designed for control over vast territories. This is why the Yoruba system, which is profound in its original form,can be easily adjustedde for it to address the communal needs of its intercontinental community. A great challenge, for we have seen all other religions fail. Expecially those with fundamentist mimd.in IFA, the same principle that was the pillar of the village is also the pillar of the global society. This principle odudu iwa “Balanced Character.” that got modify ,adjusted as the need for the needs for the society development increase.

I am not a fundamentalist , as my faith did not allow that.....
so, where was these ifa and odudu when white people came to Africa to conquer it ??
Re: The Role Of Religion/trad. Towards Enhancement Of A Viable Democratic Society by vaxx: 10:14am On May 30, 2018
paxonel:
so, where was these ifa and odudu when white people came to Africa to conquer it ??
the same way white paganism was attack.and replaced with Christianity.
Re: The Role Of Religion/trad. Towards Enhancement Of A Viable Democratic Society by paxonel(m): 1:30pm On May 30, 2018
vaxx:
the same way white paganism was attack.and replaced with Christianity.
hmm!
Is that why you think imperialism is a christianity thing?

How about colonial masters, do you realize their agenda in Africa was not to propagate christianity but to exploit Africans?
Re: The Role Of Religion/trad. Towards Enhancement Of A Viable Democratic Society by vaxx: 2:11pm On May 30, 2018
paxonel:
hmm!

How about colonial masters, do you realize their agenda in Africa was not to propagate christianity but to explore Africans?
There is no much difference between the colonists and Christian marketer's (missionary) the whole idea of propagating Christianity is to make it universal religion And the most relevant
Missionaries (marketer) came with the attitude that all things European were superior to all things African. Most missionaries believed that once Africans were colonized by European countries they would be more likely to seek after Western Education and Christianity which the missionaries controlled. It was their mission to do anything necessary to convert Africans who were viewed as uncivilized and barbaric.

And in doing so, they indirectly help to further the cause of their colonial friend which is explotation. You can only exploit a brainwashed mind. Not by gun but by engaging his mind.

1 Like

Re: The Role Of Religion/trad. Towards Enhancement Of A Viable Democratic Society by MuttleyLaff: 4:16pm On May 30, 2018
vaxx:
I am not ready for mumbo jumbo, selective perception, cognitive dissonance and confirmation bias.
I dont know where all these "mumbo jumbo, selective perception, cognitive dissonance and confirmation bias" air is coimng from

vaxx:
If I feel the urge to play the mental game where the obvious truth will be glaring at us and we will still feel the need to debate it.
You made a confident and forceful statement
but when asked to share it, you suddenly developed cold feet and choose to cow into silence
Just one, one, one

vaxx:
I will create a thread over it and mention you.....
You once honour my john 3 vs 16 thread right?
So anticipate another one from me soon.
So you are unable to mention anywhere here on this thread, the core tradition teaching of Christianity that is not really good for african society and so needs immediate abrogation?
Re: The Role Of Religion/trad. Towards Enhancement Of A Viable Democratic Society by MuttleyLaff: 4:20pm On May 30, 2018
paxonel:
hmm!

How about colonial masters, do you realize their agenda in Africa was not to propagate christianity but to explore Africans?
I think your mobile phone predictive text feature mistakenly let you type "explore" instead of "exploit" there
Re: The Role Of Religion/trad. Towards Enhancement Of A Viable Democratic Society by vaxx: 5:03pm On May 30, 2018
MuttleyLaff:
I dont know where all these "mumbo jumbo, selective perception, cognitive dissonance and confirmation bias" air is coimng from

You made a confident and forceful statement
but when asked to share it, you suddenly developed cold feet and choose to cow into silence
Just one, one, one

So you are unable to mention anywhere here on this thread, the core tradition teaching of Christianity that is not really good for african society and so needs immediate abrogation?
when i feel the urge to do so. I will gladly mention you. As for now I am interested with the op discussion.
Re: The Role Of Religion/trad. Towards Enhancement Of A Viable Democratic Society by paxonel(m): 5:19pm On May 30, 2018
MuttleyLaff:
I think your mobile phone predictive text feature mistakenly let you type "explore" instead of "exploit" there
you are absolutely correct, it's keyboard suggestion error.
Thanks
Re: The Role Of Religion/trad. Towards Enhancement Of A Viable Democratic Society by paxonel(m): 5:50pm On May 30, 2018
vaxx:
There is no much difference between the colonists and Christian marketer's (missionary) the whole idea of propagating Christianity is to make it universal religion And the most relevant
Missionaries (marketer) came with the attitude that all things European were superior to all things African. Most missionaries believed that once Africans were colonized by European countries they would be more likely to seek after Western Education and Christianity which the missionaries controlled. It was their mission to do anything necessary to convert Africans who were viewed as uncivilized and barbaric.

And in doing so, they indirectly help to further the cause of their colonial friend which is explotation. You can only exploit a brainwashed mind. Not by gun but by engaging his mind.
and you also agree that the first christian mission in Nigeria predates colonialism or imperialism (15th century). At that point in time will you say that the people were brainwashed to accept christianity?

However you are looking at it, christianity never originated from countries like Italy, Germany, England and other European countries practicing the religion before the era of imperialism. These countries were never primitive before they started accepting christianity.
That means, they were never brainwashed to accept the religion. They saw something better than their pagan religion in christianity that's why there was a mass conversion which i think it was not spontaneous but a gradual process that took many years.
Well, i will say that because Africans were primitive during the pre-colonial period does not necessarily mean that they were brainwashed to accept Christianity even though at a time conversion was done by conquest, but people later agreed by comparison that, christianity was far more better

1 Like

Re: The Role Of Religion/trad. Towards Enhancement Of A Viable Democratic Society by vaxx: 6:42pm On May 30, 2018
paxonel:
and you also agree that the first christian mission in Nigeria predates colonialism or imperialism (15th century). At that point in time will you say that the people were brainwashed to accept christianity?

However you are looking at it, christianity never originated from countries like Italy, Germany, England and other European countries practicing the religion before the era of imperialism. These countries were never primitive before they started accepting christianity.
That means, they were never brainwashed to accept the religion. They saw something better than their pagan religion in christianity that's why there was a mass conversion which i think it was not spontaneous but a gradual process that took many years.
Well, i will say that because Africans were primitive during the pre-colonial period does not necessarily mean that they were brainwashed to accept Christianity even though at a time conversion was done by conquest, but people later agreed by comparison that, christianity was far more better
You should not have go thru this section, it exposes the essence. Of Christianity..... No,they were brainwashed and manipulate..the Portuguese were the first Europeans to arrive the shores of Nigeria via the Atlantic. According to history. The Portuguese brought Christianity with them but were unable to successfully plant Christianity because of their involvement in slave trade. The actual intent behind their voyage was more in the interest of slave business, than it was for missionary goals and objectives.

Most of the Portuguese slave traders took Nigerian slaves to be resold in the Americas and parts of Europe. Hence, they were not committed to missionary work. So it s this enlave Nigeria that were brought back to us after slavery was abolished in the west that aid the envagelism.You see the likes of ajayi crowther that was educated in Sierra lone and the rest..... The land called Nigeria now was never backward as the west may made you think. I can even argue we are more civilized than our colonial master in many ways but that will be another day.discussion.

This former slave missionaries were sent all over Africa to preach Christianity while giving feedback to their white boss . To this very day many African minds still view Jesus as a white blue eyed , blonde haired handsome looking. If you go many houses in Africa you will see this picture on the walls of their houses. You see the brainwashing now as it is still common in Nigeria.

Our fore parents were told that they were born in sin and they had to repent. Land was stolen in that way. Masses were convinced that that real happiness is in heaven and life on earth was a toil. This make them owing acres of land.

If you want to know how Christianity enter Europe thru the Romans. Go and leari the historical war Saxon wars? It will open your mind.
Re: The Role Of Religion/trad. Towards Enhancement Of A Viable Democratic Society by MuttleyLaff: 7:37pm On May 30, 2018
vaxx:
when i feel the urge to do so. I will gladly mention you.
As for now I am interested with the op discussion.
vaxx, no one has mentioned nor suggested discussion
No one has asked that you back up your assertion that Christianity has core tradition & teaching that is not really good for african society and so needs immediate abrogation
but merely to share what you see, is the case

Just eager to learn what these "the core tradition teaching of Christianity" are.
To know, without exchanging posts, what they are
Re: The Role Of Religion/trad. Towards Enhancement Of A Viable Democratic Society by vaxx: 7:47pm On May 30, 2018
MuttleyLaff:
vaxx, no one has mentioned nor suggested discussion
No one has asked that you back up your assertion that Christianity has core tradition & teaching that is not really good for african society and so needs immediate abrogation
but merely to share what you see, is the case

Just eager to learn what these "the core tradition teaching of Christianity" are.
To know, without exchanging posts, what they are
indirectly i am discussing some of my veiw with the op. You just need to look up and see it. Must I make a bullet point before you can decipher?
Re: The Role Of Religion/trad. Towards Enhancement Of A Viable Democratic Society by MuttleyLaff: 8:09pm On May 30, 2018
vaxx:
indirectly i am discussing some of my veiw with the op.
You just need to look up and see it.

Must I make a bullet point before you can decipher?
Seriously?
You are indirectly and/or have already been discussing some "core tradition teaching of Christianity" with Paxonel?
Hmm, I'll again go over the thread to see and guess what you've worked out to mean and be "core tradition teaching of Christianity"

vaxx:
Must I make a bullet point before you can decipher?
You gat jokes
Very funny indeed
but seriously that's the truth, I was hoping for bullet points of Christianity practices and/or beliefs that aren't really good for African society and so needs immediate abrogation?

I dont like making assumptions, if and when I can help it
That's why bullet point(s), would have been very much appreciated
and nice to read from them Christianity practices and/or beliefs not good for African society
Re: The Role Of Religion/trad. Towards Enhancement Of A Viable Democratic Society by superhumanist(m): 8:20pm On May 30, 2018
MuttleyLaff:
Seriously?
You are indirectly and/or have already been discussing some "core tradition teaching of Christianity" with Paxonel?
Hmm, I'll go over the thread for these "core tradition teaching of Christianity"

You gat jokes
Very funny indeed but seriously that's the truth, I was hoping for bullet points of Christianity practices and/or beliefs that aren't really good for African society and so needs immediate abrogation?

I dont like making assumptions, if and when I can help it
That's why bullet point(s), would have been very much appreciated
and nice to read from them Christianity practices and/or beliefs not good for African society

Here is a bulletpoint

These are the things that religion does to the black/african man

1. Christianity makes blacks worship a white (Italian looking) Jesus

2. Christianity makes blacks to praise their slavemasters because they brought christianity

3. Christianity makes black to become slaves to Isreal. Pilgrimage and supporting Isreal over Palestine. Also see the clowns called "Igbo Jews".

4. Christianity makes religious Nigerians to support a madman like Donald Trump over Obama.

5. Islam.........Just take a look at Northern Nigeria.....enough said.
Re: The Role Of Religion/trad. Towards Enhancement Of A Viable Democratic Society by MuttleyLaff: 8:23pm On May 30, 2018
superhumanist:
Here is a bulletpoint

These are the things that religion does to the black/african man

1. Christianity makes blacks worship a white (Italian looking) Jesus

2. Christianity makes blacks to praise their slavemasters because they brought christianity

3. Christianity makes black to become slaves to Isreal.
Pilgrimage and supporting Isreal over Palestine.
Also see the clowns called "Igbo Jews".

4. Christianity makes religious Nigerians to support a madman like Donald Trump over Obama.

5. Islam.........Just take a look at Northern Nigeria.....enough said.
superhumanist, c'mon now, get a grip
Re: The Role Of Religion/trad. Towards Enhancement Of A Viable Democratic Society by superhumanist(m): 8:26pm On May 30, 2018
MuttleyLaff:
superhumanist, c'mon now, get a grip

You asked for something and I gave it to you.

Why are you complaining? Shows that you are not honest.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Legend Of Lilith: Adam's First Wife / Let It Go For 2006 / The Glories Of Perfect Celibacy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.