Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,378 members, 7,819,377 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:12 PM

How I Discover My Writing Voice Through Keeping A Journal - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / How I Discover My Writing Voice Through Keeping A Journal (493 Views)

Keeping Up With The Chukwumas Vol.1 (18+) [Book 3 of Xav-Verse] [Completed] / Kanu: The Journal Of A Rogue / Why Writers Should Have A Journal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How I Discover My Writing Voice Through Keeping A Journal by marenx: 9:18am On May 29, 2018
How I discover my writing voice through keeping a journal

If you are following me on wordpress or facebook or twitter, you will know well how I wish I become a better writer but it is unfortunate even though I have some well written blogs by hazard.

Usually, I try to explore different ways of writing something that pleases me: extracting sentences from well written blogs to imitate, numbering sentences from the first draft and writing sentence by sentence. Yet, none of these techniques helps me. They only make me delete a great part of my writing on earth. Perhaps, who knows if I would have written a big book?

So depressed, I tell myself: "I will not write again for publication. I will only keep a journal in French for mastering french."

Then I discover a lot of what I write in my journal can be published. In other words, I discover my voice.

The truth is...

We fail in writing because we want to write something that looks or sound similar to that of our favorite writer. To write better, it is advised that we write without trying to sound like someone else.

Particularly, just write without fear and you will atleast appreciate your writing.

One day I do an experiment_____to know the better way to write for publication. First, I extract a fraction of [my] journal and translate it to English. And what I discover shows we should just write without fear, editing will not be difficult as we think.

Finally, I am very happy that I continue to write in my journal since its beginning. I would write with no interuption. Obviously, I love writing and the reason for writing [the] journal is an inspiration earned from that journaling helps in mastering a foreign language. And I witness improvement in my French. Attempting to write my thought and experience in French forces me to absorb a lot of French new words and expressions. This one you are reading is translated from my French version.

Maren John Mafuyai

2 Likes

Re: How I Discover My Writing Voice Through Keeping A Journal by okwabayi(m): 10:26am On May 29, 2018
This is something I have always preached. Writing a diary, blogging on Twitter, chatting on Facebook or Whatsapp has made writers out of the everyday individual.
Good writing is nothing but a skill. Like every other skill, the more you do it, the better you become at it.

2 Likes

Re: How I Discover My Writing Voice Through Keeping A Journal by marenx: 5:33pm On Jun 24, 2018
He stretched his right hand to put on the radio. His colar was dirty. There was also a dirt on his shoulder. The shirt expired. I carried a remote control and put on the TV. After some minutes, we sarted watching: a woman sashayed, then a man sashayed. It was a fashion show. Masok laughed and I poutted: because of this power presence, he would spend other four or five hours. I suffered in town, s'il vous plaƮt.

(1) (Reply)

Creative Nonfiction: Diary Of A Disappointed OAU Freshman / Save Our Soul [sos] / Your Worst Typographical/autocorrect Error Experience.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.