Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,762 members, 7,817,104 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:49 AM

6 Million Die From Smoking Globally Every Year Says WHO - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 6 Million Die From Smoking Globally Every Year Says WHO (5757 Views)

Over 2 Millions Die Globally Every Year Due To Consumption Of Much Salt, Says S / Over 700 Nigerians Die From Oral Cancer Annually – Ehanire / 72 Die From Lassa Fever In Nigeria - CNN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Million Die From Smoking Globally Every Year Says WHO by Nwaforj44: 10:24am On May 31, 2018
The World Health Organisation (WHO) latest data says that smoking is responsible for the death of about six million people across the world each year with many of the deaths occurring prematurely.

According to the report, no fewer that 1.1 billion people are smokers in the world today, the same number as at the turn of the century.

WHO’s ‘Global Report on Trends in Prevalence of Tobacco Smoking 2000-2025’, coincided with World No Tobacco Day 2018 observed every May 31.

The report states: “Tobacco is the only legal drug that kills many of its users when used exactly as intended by manufacturers.

“WHO has estimated that tobacco use (smoking and smokeless) is currently responsible for the death of about six million people across the world each year with many of the deaths occurring prematurely.

“This total includes about 600,000 people that are also estimated to die from the effects of second-hand smoking.

“Although often associated with ill-health, disability and death from non-communicable chronic diseases, tobacco smoking is also associated with an increased risk of death from communicable diseases’’.

The global health agency, in the report by health experts, said spreading the message that tobacco caused deadly illnesses such as heart disease and stroke helped prevent “needless” loss of life.

WHO warned that tobacco use and exposure to second-hand smoke were “major causes” of cardiovascular disease, contributing to three million deaths annually.

It said lack of awareness about the risks of tobacco use was most common in low and middle-income countries.

The report said in China, more than six out of 10 people were unaware that smoking could cause a heart attack while in India and Indonesia, more than half of all adults did not know that the habit could lead to a stroke.

Dr Douglas Bettcher, Director, Department for the Prevention of Non-communicable Diseases at WHO, said tobacco use was falling globally but it still killed more than seven million people a year.

“Progress is uneven in protecting consumers from the tobacco industry,’’ Bettcher said.

He explained that higher income countries were making “faster progress” than their poorer counterparts at protecting consumers, partly owing to stronger regulations.

“In spite of the apparent lack of progress in tackling the total number of smokers, the report highlighted that only one in five people smoked today, compared to more than one in four, 18 years ago.

“The decline was masked by the world’s growing population.’’

On efforts to encourage people to quit, the UN health expert warned that only around 12 per cent countries were on track to meet global targets to reduce by one-third the number of people dying from non-communicable diseases by 2030 as part of the Sustainable Development Goals agenda.

In a bid to promote a healthy heart, the WHO wanted every one of its 194 Member States to implement a series of increasingly strict tobacco control measures.

These include making indoor public and workplaces smoke-free and insisting that tobacco packaging carries warnings that demonstrate the health risks for users.

“The good news is that these deaths are preventable and we know what needs to be done,’’ Bettcher said.

He named Ireland and Uruguay as countries that had achieved the highest level of tobacco control before, adding that since 2007, the number of people around the world to have benefited from these measures has more than quadrupled, from one billion to five billion. (NAN)

http://www.akelicious.net/2018/05/6-million-die-from-smoking-globally.html

1 Like

Re: 6 Million Die From Smoking Globally Every Year Says WHO by SalamRushdie: 10:38am On May 31, 2018
This is where I owe Mountain of Fire Ministries...I went to their church once to part about cigarette addiction ( a habit I picked up as a restless teenager ) and boom like joke like joke since that day I have not been able to smoke again till date ...

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Million Die From Smoking Globally Every Year Says WHO by ViaFast: 10:40am On May 31, 2018
lipsrsealed
Re: 6 Million Die From Smoking Globally Every Year Says WHO by Ucheosefoh(m): 10:41am On May 31, 2018
If six million dies every year from smoking tobacco how many people will remain if you add other causes of death.

5 Likes

Re: 6 Million Die From Smoking Globally Every Year Says WHO by kagari: 10:45am On May 31, 2018
SalamRushdie:
This is where I owe Mountain of Fire Ministries...I went to their church once to part about cigarette addiction ( a habit I picked up as a restless teenager ) and boom like joke like joke since that day I have not been able to smoke again till date ...

You would be a good media marketer

2 Likes

Re: 6 Million Die From Smoking Globally Every Year Says WHO by Sirpaul(m): 10:45am On May 31, 2018
yet they won't listen
Re: 6 Million Die From Smoking Globally Every Year Says WHO by moneyadulttube: 10:45am On May 31, 2018
Cigarette caused death of 6 million people across the world so how many has Weed caused that most countries don't allow it. Benson and Hedges, St. Morris e.t.c should be closed since they produce products that kill people en mass. Hypocrites

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Million Die From Smoking Globally Every Year Says WHO by Inioluwa01(m): 10:47am On May 31, 2018
SalamRushdie:
Power has changed hands in your life. Another special 'power must change hands' program comes up on Saturday, 2nd June, 2018. It's a special deliverance package and promises to be powerful, as always. Go with a picture of you to any MFM church around you. Time is 7am. God bless you.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Million Die From Smoking Globally Every Year Says WHO by hushshinani(m): 10:47am On May 31, 2018
they chose their destiny themselves....
Re: 6 Million Die From Smoking Globally Every Year Says WHO by Semoleei2014(m): 10:48am On May 31, 2018
You would be a good media marketer.
Fraudster?
Re: 6 Million Die From Smoking Globally Every Year Says WHO by Ogb222: 10:49am On May 31, 2018
Cigarettes not weed grin

5 Likes

Re: 6 Million Die From Smoking Globally Every Year Says WHO by nabegibeg: 10:50am On May 31, 2018
Nwaforj44:
The World Health Organisation (WHO) latest data says that smoking is responsible for the death of about six million people across the world each year with many of the deaths occurring prematurely.

According to the report, no fewer that 1.1 billion people are smokers in the world today, the same number as at the turn of the century.

WHO’s ‘Global Report on Trends in Prevalence of Tobacco Smoking 2000-2025’, coincided with World No Tobacco Day 2018 observed every May 31.

The report states: “Tobacco is the only legal drug that kills many of its users when used exactly as intended by manufacturers.

“WHO has estimated that tobacco use (smoking and smokeless) is currently responsible for the death of about six million people across the world each year with many of the deaths occurring prematurely.

“This total includes about 600,000 people that are also estimated to die from the effects of second-hand smoking.

“Although often associated with ill-health, disability and death from non-communicable chronic diseases, tobacco smoking is also associated with an increased risk of death from communicable diseases’’.

The global health agency, in the report by health experts, said spreading the message that tobacco caused deadly illnesses such as heart disease and stroke helped prevent “needless” loss of life.

WHO warned that tobacco use and exposure to second-hand smoke were “major causes” of cardiovascular disease, contributing to three million deaths annually.

It said lack of awareness about the risks of tobacco use was most common in low and middle-income countries.

The report said in China, more than six out of 10 people were unaware that smoking could cause a heart attack while in India and Indonesia, more than half of all adults did not know that the habit could lead to a stroke.

Dr Douglas Bettcher, Director, Department for the Prevention of Non-communicable Diseases at WHO, said tobacco use was falling globally but it still killed more than seven million people a year.

“Progress is uneven in protecting consumers from the tobacco industry,’’ Bettcher said.

He explained that higher income countries were making “faster progress” than their poorer counterparts at protecting consumers, partly owing to stronger regulations.

“In spite of the apparent lack of progress in tackling the total number of smokers, the report highlighted that only one in five people smoked today, compared to more than one in four, 18 years ago.

“The decline was masked by the world’s growing population.’’

On efforts to encourage people to quit, the UN health expert warned that only around 12 per cent countries were on track to meet global targets to reduce by one-third the number of people dying from non-communicable diseases by 2030 as part of the Sustainable Development Goals agenda.

In a bid to promote a healthy heart, the WHO wanted every one of its 194 Member States to implement a series of increasingly strict tobacco control measures.

These include making indoor public and workplaces smoke-free and insisting that tobacco packaging carries warnings that demonstrate the health risks for users.

“The good news is that these deaths are preventable and we know what needs to be done,’’ Bettcher said.

He named Ireland and Uruguay as countries that had achieved the highest level of tobacco control before, adding that since 2007, the number of people around the world to have benefited from these measures has more than quadrupled, from one billion to five billion. (NAN)

http://www.akelicious.net/2018/05/6-million-die-from-smoking-globally.html

what is inside the cigar that is killing people that is not inside weed when it is the same fire used in litting them both

abi the thing wey kill dey select their kind of smoke

Re: 6 Million Die From Smoking Globally Every Year Says WHO by BlissB(f): 10:56am On May 31, 2018
And when you try to dissuade them....they always tell you to point out one person you know it has killed.....Smh
Re: 6 Million Die From Smoking Globally Every Year Says WHO by urbanemind(m): 10:56am On May 31, 2018
Rubbish, How many die from Fulani herdsmen, Boko Haram, etc every year??
Cigarette is legal, whoever dies from smoking knew d risk before smoking, this is not supposed to be News.
WHO should focus their attention on more important things please..
Re: 6 Million Die From Smoking Globally Every Year Says WHO by johnkey: 10:56am On May 31, 2018
smoking cigarettes I guess, not cannabis. Not my precious cannabis.

9 Likes

Re: 6 Million Die From Smoking Globally Every Year Says WHO by DesireKizzy: 10:57am On May 31, 2018
My nysc roommate will not read this
Re: 6 Million Die From Smoking Globally Every Year Says WHO by Nobody: 10:57am On May 31, 2018
Man must die no matter what. Face your fears .
Re: 6 Million Die From Smoking Globally Every Year Says WHO by Blackfire(m): 10:58am On May 31, 2018
Ganja people looking at this topic like....

Khnksoimlksuiodpnkskkdn
Re: 6 Million Die From Smoking Globally Every Year Says WHO by Rangel: 11:04am On May 31, 2018
Yet they keep allowing these guys to sell their deadly tobacco product.
Re: 6 Million Die From Smoking Globally Every Year Says WHO by oladele00(m): 11:04am On May 31, 2018
Smokers are liabe to die young.. But mind u, people die young everyday for one ailment or the other.. Smoking isn't bad if it gives u maximum satisfaction.. Smoking takes away my depression

3 Likes

Re: 6 Million Die From Smoking Globally Every Year Says WHO by killuminati(m): 11:07am On May 31, 2018
Stop smoking cigarette my niggas.. Smoke weed and feel highery. Weed addi best ting inna di world.. #LegalizeIt

1 Like

Re: 6 Million Die From Smoking Globally Every Year Says WHO by Nobody: 11:16am On May 31, 2018
grin
kagari:

You would be a good media marketer
Re: 6 Million Die From Smoking Globally Every Year Says WHO by trapQ: 11:18am On May 31, 2018
Wow thank God.
SalamRushdie:
Re: 6 Million Die From Smoking Globally Every Year Says WHO by brodalokie: 11:22am On May 31, 2018
It contains lead, what do you expect? Lead poison is dangerous to our health. There are other things to watch out for as related to lead poisoning. Water pipes, Lead pots, women makeup pencil and cosmetics, alcoholic beverages, wine and food tainting with lead to sweeten it many many other ways to get poisoned by lead. I even think those Chem trails in the sky contains lead or aluminum which also contributes to it.
It is only God that saves. We're all in for it.
Re: 6 Million Die From Smoking Globally Every Year Says WHO by DivinelyBlessed: 11:39am On May 31, 2018
Thank God weed and s.k are not on the list
Re: 6 Million Die From Smoking Globally Every Year Says WHO by spencekat(m): 12:39pm On May 31, 2018
SalamRushdie:
Really?
Re: 6 Million Die From Smoking Globally Every Year Says WHO by enemyofprogress: 12:40pm On May 31, 2018
Rokia2, funjosh, lalasticlala, abimbawealth and ajepako please stop smoking cigarettes and the other ones
Re: 6 Million Die From Smoking Globally Every Year Says WHO by SalamRushdie: 12:41pm On May 31, 2018
spencekat:
Really?

100 percent facts
Re: 6 Million Die From Smoking Globally Every Year Says WHO by spencekat(m): 12:43pm On May 31, 2018
SalamRushdie:

100 percent facts
Glory be to God
Re: 6 Million Die From Smoking Globally Every Year Says WHO by enemyofprogress: 12:45pm On May 31, 2018
SalamRushdie:
all I know is that all liars shall go to hell fire

(1) (2) (Reply)

Spiced UP! Dont Just Drink Ogi/pap! This Type Works Best For You And Your Babies / Pls I Want To Know More About Genotype AC / How To Experience Pregnancy Without Sickness

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.