Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,835 members, 7,824,475 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 10:56 AM

Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture (6180 Views)

7 Celebrities That Have Had Serious Problems With Olamide! / Fans Attack Afrocandy For Insulting Stephanie Okereke / Stephanie Okereke Vs. Genevieve Nnaji (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by e36991: 2:24am On May 29, 2010
[size=14pt]Okereke has "problems" with Nigerian culture[/size]

Kele Okereke has "problems" with Nigerian culture

Bloc Party frontman Kele Okereke finds it difficult to relate to his Nigerian heritage - because of the country's stance on women's rights and homosexuality.

The openly gay singer was born in Britain, but both his parents hail from Nigeria, where homosexuality is a highly contentious issue.

And Okereke insists the country's viewpoint on gays, as well as women's rights, makes it tough for him to feel a connection to the African nation.

He tells Attitude magazine, "I was born in the U.K. and my parents are Nigerian. Fundamentally, I do have problems with a lot of what I perceive to be Nigerian culture. How they treat women. How they treat gays. It's a very hierarchical system where you always have to defer to your elders even if you know them to not be right. That's something I personally disagree with. I think everything should be open to discussion. To reason is part of being human.

"Nigeria is part of my heritage. I'd like to explore it. I love African music. I love African food. I love African people when I meet them. But these things are very complicated for me personally."

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/1/20100509/ten-okereke-has-problems-with-nigerian-c-c60bd6d.html

[flash=640,385]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciR33xgnlCI&hl=en_GB&fs=1&[/flash]
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by adconline(m): 12:03pm On May 29, 2010
He's gay
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by Nobody: 12:12pm On May 29, 2010
Another gay related nollywood actress. I am disappointed with what some my people are into
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by Travelista(f): 12:15pm On May 29, 2010
I still listen to his music but he needs to step to the left. Don't like Nigerian culture? Keep the one you were raised with and live your life. I can't stand when people don't like a culture that has existed before they came into existence (and will continue after they're gone) because it doesn't cater to what they want.
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by showbobo(m): 12:20pm On May 29, 2010
Pathetic gay. . . . . . .
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by adconline(m): 12:24pm On May 29, 2010
Does he like polygamy or polyandry?
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by ezeagu(m): 12:31pm On May 29, 2010
Who brainwashed gave Nigeria its laws and values? Right. . . . . . . .
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by mbulela: 12:34pm On May 29, 2010
pls let him stay where he is.
we have enough issues to deal with here.
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by Nobody: 1:12pm On May 29, 2010
and how does that freaking affect me? hiss.
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by defemz(m): 1:15pm On May 29, 2010
Could anyone please tell him to shut the Zap UP and mind his bleeding anus. He is simply delusional
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by blackboi(m): 1:32pm On May 29, 2010
adconline:

He's gay

Alas! what a pity, he's missing out on c@@l nipples & booty Calls grin tongue
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by queenafric(f): 1:53pm On May 29, 2010
blackboi:

Alas! what a pity, he's missing out on c@@l unmentionables & booty Calls grin tongue

lol smiley
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by Oba234: 1:54pm On May 29, 2010
He is completely right. Nigeria has a hierarchical system that leaves younger people out and old people in charge. Young people are wrong in nigerian society and old people are always right even if they don't know what they are talking about. The young is not allowed to question the old and the old is the know it all. Women don't what their rights are and allow men to treat them like dirt. I may not agree with homosexuality, but it is none of my damn business what someone is doing in their bedroom. I think Nigeria government should mind their business concerning homosexuality and focus on changing the corruption ridden country including the senators that are making more money than American presidents.
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by joeycrack: 1:55pm On May 29, 2010
Travelista:

I still listen to his music but he needs to step to the left. Don't like Nigerian culture? Keep the one you were raised with and live your life. I can't stand when people don't like a culture that has existed before they came into existence (and will continue after they're gone) because it doesn't cater to what they want.

By your logic we should love every culture in the world just because it existed before we came into existence and will continue after we're gone. I take it you don't have a problem with a senator marrying a 13 yr old then.
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by Travelista(f): 2:32pm On May 29, 2010
joeycrack:

By your logic we should love every culture in the world just because it existed before we came into existence and will continue after we're gone. I take it you don't have a problem with a senator marrying a 13 yr old then.

So, you're just going to read the first part of that sentence and then pass judgment? Cultures evolve over time and I said nothing about love but somehow you think having respect is synonymous with love. I was referring to the issues that Kele has with Nigerian culture and not customs and norms from around the globe; don't come at me regarding logic when your view point is black and white. As for Yerima, he's a dog and most that have been following the situation are aware that what he is engaging in is a bastardization of Islam and NOT their culture.

As for Kele and his talk about how he can't get with Nigerian culture because of their stance on homosexuality, women's rights and elders always being right; dude, whatever. He's worried about the plight of women but not that of children? Or corruption? Or the fact that tribalism is still a hindrance to permanent unity? What he really means is that he can't hang with Naija culture and elders always being right because they come down like a ton of bricks on him because he's gay; he just threw women in there for good measure. Now, he can't enjoy Nigerian folks, food or music because of those 3 issues?! He needs to book an appointment with a psychiatrist ASAP.
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by kayc33(m): 2:33pm On May 29, 2010
shocked dude is gay?  shocked shocked his parents are well respected back home(they happen to be from my home town)
i wonder how embarrassed they would feel  embarassed
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by Travelista(f): 2:36pm On May 29, 2010
kayc33:

shocked dude is gay?  shocked shocked his parents are well respected back home(they happen to be from my home town)
i wonder how embarrassed they would feel  embarassed

He's been out for years; he even has a song talking about experimenting with homosexuality as a young boy. Don't the people back home know that he's gay? If not. . . DRAMA!!!
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by MissyB1(m): 2:47pm On May 29, 2010
Travelista:

Co-signed!
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by Princek12(m): 3:51pm On May 29, 2010
Because dem born am for U.K. we np go hear word. If you disagree with certain Nigerian beliefs, why not speak about those issues rather than categorically berating Nigerian culture. Abeg make you go touch your toe and point your behind to your boyfriend.
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by Princek12(m): 3:55pm On May 29, 2010
Because dem born am for U.K. we no go hear word. If you disagree with certain Nigerian beliefs, why not speak about those issues rather than categorically berating Nigerian culture. Abeg make you go touch your toe  and point your behind to your boyfriend.
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by Nwaaba1(m): 4:07pm On May 29, 2010
that Guy is a disgrace to we Nigerians he better remain there or come back home.
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by shawn123: 4:19pm On May 29, 2010
Who is this guy? Please remain a British man! We have adopted the sensible things the westerners taught us and rejected the lame ways, NO we don not condone homosexuality in Nigeria, and YES you make no difference to the Naija music Market, After all you arent even as close to being as big as Fela or new kid on the Rap scene WALE, we really do not need u dude!
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by joeycrack: 4:22pm On May 29, 2010
Travelista:

So, you're just going to read the first part of that sentence and then pass judgment?

No, I read the full sentence but only highlighted where I had a problem with and no I wasn't passing judgement, just highlighting the logic in your statement.

Cultures evolve over time and I said nothing about love but somehow you think having respect is synonymous with love.

You never said anything about respect either, 'don't like' and 'love' are actually more of antonyms than 'don't like' and 'respect' if you had used the word respect, I wouldn't have come at you.  Here's your statement again:

Moving on,

I was referring to the issues that Kele has with Nigerian culture and not customs and norms from around the globe;

Again, you said

I can't stand when people don't like a culture that has existed before they came into existence because it doesn't cater to what they want

The wording implied you had a problem with people not liking a culture that has existed before them becuase it doesn't cater to them not specifically Nigerian culture.

don't come at me regarding logic when your view point is black and white.

On the contrary I was pointing out the black and white nature of your view point which was against people having issues with customs on the logic that 'it had existed before them'. I'm happy you agree cultures eveolve, they don't evolve on their own, they do so with criticism and people moving them in a differenct direction.

As for Yerima, he's a dog

Agreed.

most that have been following the situation are aware that what he is engaging in is a bastardization of Islam and NOT their culture.

I wouldn't be too quick to explain it simply as 'bastardization of Islam'. It was reported that the leader of the women's group campaigning for him was a christain woman.

As for Kele and his talk about how he can't get with Nigerian culture because of their stance on homosexuality, women's rights and elders always being right; dude, whatever. He's worried about the plight of women but not that of children? Or corruption? Or the fact that tribalism is still a hindrance to permanent unity? What he really means is that he can't hang with Naija culture and elders always being right because they come down like a ton of bricks on him because he's gay; he just threw women in there for good measure. Now, he can't enjoy Nigerian folks, food or music because of those 3 issues?! He needs to book an appointment with a psychiatrist ASAP.

Again you're drawing up a conjecture on what you think he means. I haven't seen where he said he dislikes Nigerian culture, all he's said is he finds it difficult to relate to certain aspects of the culture. Infact he goes on to say

Nigeria is part of my heritage. I'd like to explore it. I love African music. I love African food. I love African people when I meet them. But these things are very complicated for me personally."

If I was a non-straight, non-gender specific person who grew up with a single mother, I would probably find it difficult to relate to some aspects as well and those would likely be the most important bits to me as they affect me personally rather than 'tribalism and unity of nation'.

Is there a point to all of this grin Yes; It's that you can criticise aspects of a culture without throwing it all under the bus. Having a problem with the way women are treated doesn't equate to tramping all over the culture or disrepecting it.
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by WhyAWhy(m): 4:44pm On May 29, 2010
[size=14pt]why would any guy be attracted to another guy, ew . The last time I checked, fine and beautiful women wey make sense still full ground brekete [/size]   angry    undecided
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by Cogito(m): 5:06pm On May 29, 2010
Travelista:

He clearly has his priorities mixed up.
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by Travelista(f): 5:11pm On May 29, 2010
joeycrack:

No, I read the full sentence but only highlighted where I had a problem with and no I wasn't passing judgement, just highlighting the logic in your statement.

You never said anything about respect either, 'don't like' and 'love' are actually more of antonyms than 'don't like' and 'respect' if you had used the word respect, I wouldn't have come at you.  Here's your statement again:

Moving on,

Again, you said

The wording implied you had a problem with people not liking a culture that has existed before them becuase it doesn't cater to them not specifically Nigerian culture.

On the contrary I was pointing out the black and white nature of your view point which was against people having issues with customs on the logic that 'it had existed before them'. I'm happy you agree cultures eveolve, they don't evolve on their own, they do so with criticism and people moving them in a differenct direction.

Agreed.

I wouldn't be too quick to explain it simply as 'bastardization of Islam'. It was reported that the leader of the women's group campaigning for him was a christain woman.

Again you're drawing up a conjecture on what you think he means. I haven't seen where he said he dislikes Nigerian culture, all he's said is he finds it difficult to relate to certain aspects of the culture. Infact he goes on to say

If I was a non-straight, non-gender specific person who grew up with a single mother, I would probably find it difficult to relate to some aspects as well and those would likely be the most important bits to me as they affect me personally rather than 'tribalism and unity of nation'.

Is there a point to all of this grin Yes; It's that you can criticise aspects of a culture without throwing it all under the bus. Having a problem with the way women are treated doesn't equate to tramping all over the culture or disrepecting it.

Just like you're doing to me? grin  I was talking about Nigerian culture in that first comment and continued to do so; just because you thought otherwise doesn't change what I meant. You should have just asked for clarification and you would have received it.

As for Kele, his argument holds no water with me because he chose to generalize about Nigerian culture in a cowardly way. Instead of coming right out and saying he's uncomfortable with how [b]some [/b]Nigerians behave regarding those 3 issues, he threw an entire country and culture under the bus to justify himself and his choices in life. He's older than me but uses 'Nigeria' and 'Africa' interchangeably; that doesn't sound like someone that is truly interested in their heritage to me but different strokes, for different folks. He should either man up or find a shrink to help him through his issues.

Couldn't find the article in Attitude but found the cover:

Dude is confused. They have his quote of, "Can't we have a gay pop star that is edgy and tough" next to a picture of him topless with a pair of daisy dukes on with high top sneakers. *sigh* I guess.
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by stagger: 5:21pm On May 29, 2010
A bloody gay!

How can a right thinking man ask another man to open his arse for him to put his JT inside, with all the beauty we have around in women?
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by Nwaka77: 5:24pm On May 29, 2010
Oba234:

He is completely right. Nigeria has a hierarchical system that leaves younger people out and old people in charge. Young people are wrong in nigerian society and old people are always right even if they don't know what they are talking about. The young is not allowed to question the old and the old is the know it all. Women don't what their rights are and allow men to treat them like dirt. I may not agree with homosexuality, but it is none of my damn business what someone is doing in their bedroom. I think Nigeria government should mind their business concerning homosexuality and focus on changing the corruption ridden country including the senators that are making more money than American presidents.

I agree
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by WhyAWhy(m): 5:25pm On May 29, 2010
stagger:

A bloody gay!

How can a right thinking man ask another man to open his arse for him to put his JT inside, with all the beauty we have around in women?

Abi na, it's just inconceivable, even if struck by Alzheimer's disease which now makes you forget that human beings are either men or women  angry
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by proudly9ja(m): 6:00pm On May 29, 2010
I think Science needs to do more research on this gay issue. I have my thoughts but I think scientists need to do more and come out and tell us the truth about it.

I personally do not believe that 'whatever a man does in his bedroom is his business' when it comes to sodomy/beastiality and same sex relationships. Unless we know the true reasons why some people are gay (apart from those who do it out of curiousity), then I personally believe that it shouldn't be allowed in our society.

As for Mr Okereke, my prayers are with you.

Just my thoughts
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by hackney(m): 6:00pm On May 29, 2010
I still believe that homosexuality is demonic or at least a mental anomaly.
Dont care if they claim they were born with it.

How can a man  fu.c.k.ing fancy another man ? ? ?
With all the goodies on a woman you want  a fellow man? ? ?

He should keep his battered a.r.s.e away from Africa pls abeg rather than trying to enlighten us on
demonic practices.

I'm off to throw up and then go look at my sweetheart.
(and then pics of Martha Ankomah,mercy johnson, omo2sexy and jackie appiah)

Nonsense. i don vex angry angry
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by fowler: 6:06pm On May 29, 2010
See  me  see  wahala,   ah!   Abi  no  be   the  same   Kelechi   Okereke  wei   I  sabi?  You  don   craze   sootee  na  man  dey  sweet   u,   do?   Tufia  kwa,  Oshi,   Dan'iska!   You're  just  another  wasted   personality,   Nigerians  dont  give   2    f*cks  about  u   or  ur   stupid   music    genre

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Battle Of The Hips: Jocelyn Dumas, Juliet Ibrahim Vs Mercy Johnson / Photo:Davido Acquires The Latest Selfie Stick In Town / Lagos Big Boy Displays 4millions Dollars In Cash On Instagram.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.