Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,744 members, 7,837,703 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 09:38 AM

Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture - Celebrities (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture (6181 Views)

7 Celebrities That Have Had Serious Problems With Olamide! / Fans Attack Afrocandy For Insulting Stephanie Okereke / Stephanie Okereke Vs. Genevieve Nnaji (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by suprted(m): 4:47pm On May 30, 2010
riight, i'm sure he's dying to go back.

Nigerians are the most touchy people in the world.

And keep lying to yourselves that there aren't gays in Naija. Maybe you should go and pray for your brothers and sisters in single-sex schools.
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by philips70(m): 4:55pm On May 30, 2010
Does that make it glorified? or should we also ask them to come out and fight for their gay rights here in Naija? Social miscreants!
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by bawomolo(m): 6:33pm On May 30, 2010
philips70:

@londoner why so much pain in defending a sick and uncultured child? What has the so called women and child rights brought to the Uk if not broken homes, drug addicts and gays/lesbians in the name of freedom? Children going wacko and killing fellow schoolmates is a common thing in the western world. The vices that these so called rights brings about is an endless list. We dont even need the likes of Okereke and you to come to Naija and pollute our wards for us. Live your cultureless and frustrated lives and die in the UK. Thank you

homosexuality must have started because of the children's right movement.
you guys are geniuses. i also find it out funny you cultured and mannered nigerians are lining up everyday to get visas into a "cultureless" country.
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by tlops(m): 6:44pm On May 30, 2010
who wants him? tongue tongue
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by ezego3(m): 7:36pm On May 30, 2010
The reason why i love this thread is the poor guy(kele) is vindicated. Just by reading all the ignorant responses by some hungry sounding, myopic, (suffering and smiling) nigerians you will just see the guy is so spot on.
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by philips70(m): 7:53pm On May 30, 2010
@ Bawomolo, ordinarily I wouldn't have dignified you a reply but you need to be schooled concerning your feelings about Nigerians. How many Nigerian missions abroad have you visited? Please try to visit at least one and you will be shocked to find out that your countrymen are also scrambling to come to Nigeria for the same reasons we want to go there. It has nothing to do with culture or societal background because you have none. It is finding a means of livelihood. Anybody can go anywhere to get that. Get a life at least! All homosexuals and lesbians need to be checked into rehab homes just like drug addicts. Enough said. I rest my case.
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by marabout(m): 12:00am On May 31, 2010
@e36991

Mrs Fumilayo Kuti is one of our greats. You will have noticed that I said , and many more. I didn't even mention my mum who of course is one of the many great women (no nepotism). grin grin grin
I hope you are not a hermaphrodite yourself because your profile does not show your gender. grin grin grin

@Londoner

I do not particularly care is somebody decides to fancy the hairy bony backside of a fellow bloke!! Kele  can do whatever  pleases him. But you cannot condemn a particular culture simply because it doesn't pander to your individual lifestyle. Last time Elton John said they should do away with all religions. shocked shocked

As for 1967 and so on, considering that homosexuality has been very prevalent and widely known in Europe for millenia, both in ancient Greece and Rome, it took a pretty long time to be legally accepted. Britain gradually came under Roman influence and by extension Greek influence as since AD43! Before that  both Mark Anthony and Julius Caesar had male lovers, the Hegemon of Macedon (Alexander) was also widely rumoured to be have had at least one gay lover.  Yet it was only in 1967 that it became legal in England. I had the opportunity to be educated with middle and upper class Brits. I know what most think of gays. grin grin grin

Thus, the social evolution took a very long time. We in Africa should be given enough time too for our "gay evolution".  Let outsiders not force their new-found social norms down our throat. OH LONDONER, a British minister concealing his gayness just lost his portfolio!! So Britain  doesn't seem to be an El Dorado for gays afterall. LONDONER, a male who is 18 to 21 years old can be called a boy. So your paedophilia talk is bizarre. I relate daily with gay Brits and I know better.
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by ifebosco: 12:35am On May 31, 2010
we  have     a    serious   problem  in  nigeria  most  espacially  our  womens, most  of  them  are  too  conservative  in  their  ideologies. homosexuallity   is  not  the   end  of  the  world.why  should  you  hate  somebody   just   because  of  his/her   private  part?why  can´t  we  judge  them  normally  as  we   can  judge  our  selfs  with  knowledge  and  not  their  sexual  part."racism"   tomorrow   whiteman   "oyibo"  will  insult  you  and  you´ll  say  is   racist,what  are  you  people  doing  now  to  your  our  blood  GOD  HELP  THEM," may  be  we  don´t  have  gays  in  naija"hypocrites   i  use  this  opportunity   to  tell  womens  in  nigeria  that  if  a  man  wants  you  to  be  second  wife,  tell  him  i  want  you  to  be   second  man  and  see  how  he  will  feel.our  nigerian  womens  are  too  close  to  religion,i´m  not  saying religion  is  not  good  don´t  quote  me  wrong.  but  don´t  be  fanatic  about  religion  try  and  teach  other  womanswomen's to  accept polygamist  in  their  comunity  and  help  your  husband  with  good  family  planning.
all  around  the  world  the  greatest    way  of  changing  a  society  is  to  alow  allowdom  of  speech and  liberty   that    every  woman  been  is  equal  in  front  of  our  laws,we  don´t  have  to  discriminate  gays  because  of  our  religion  and  live  in  western  world  were  the  is   relative  peace  and  stability.we  need  our  nigeriaNigerian  to  come  up  and  change  this  our  rotin   society.remenber  i´m  not  a  gay  neither  a  women  just  a  call  for  reflection
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by hbrednic: 4:32am On May 31, 2010
too many gays in this thread,wonder what nigeria is turning into
the so called kelechi can drop dead,who cares
embarassed
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by hbrednic: 4:37am On May 31, 2010
ifebosco:

we have a serious problem in nigeria most espacially our womens, most of them are too conservative in their ideologies. homosexuallity is not the end of the world.why should you hate somebody just because of his/her private part?why can´t we judge them normally as we can judge our selfs with knowledge and not their sexual part."racism" tomorrow whiteman "oyibo" will insult you and you´ll say is racist,what are you people doing now to your our blood GOD HELP THEM," may be we don´t have gays in naija"hypocrites i use this opportunity to tell womens in nigeria that if a man wants you to be second wife, tell him i want you to be second man and see how he will feel.our nigerian womens are too close to religion,i´m not saying religion is not good don´t quote me wrong. but don´t be fanatic about religion try and teach other womanswomen's to accept polygamist in their comunity and help your husband with good family planning.
all around the world the greatest way of changing a society is to alow allowdom of speech and liberty that every woman been is equal in front of our laws,we don´t have to discriminate gays because of our religion and live in western world were the is relative peace and stability.we need our nigeriaNigerian to come up and change this our rotin society.remenber i´m not a gay neither a women just a call for reflection
my prof used to say "somebody is beating about the bush"
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by Zapence(m): 10:12am On May 31, 2010
hbrednic:

too many gays in this thread,wonder what nigeria is turning into
the so called kelechi can drop dead,who cares
embarassed

NFCS Does!
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by proproman(m): 10:33am On May 31, 2010
I know my Nigerians. The general spite against Kele is because he's gay, not because of his reservations about certain aspects of Nigerian culture. His first statement might have been a generalisation, but he went on to specify the particular areas he has problems with. Let's face the facts, can everyone on this thread truthfully tell me they wholeheartedly love all aspects of Nigerian culture and has never objected to any of them? So why all the hate, when the guy has made a valid point? All this talk about what is obtainable in other countries is trash, Kele has nothing to do with other countries. He is born to Nigerian parents so he can only really talk about either the British culture or Nigerian culture. I personally dont give a flying fu, c.k about his homosexuality or gay rights. He made some valid points and I recognise them. Nigerians, really. Nobody even bothered to highlight his love of Nigerian food, music and people. More or less everyone rushed to lambast him just cos his gay. If the devil were to tell you Jesus Christ is Lord, he may be the devil but he's by no means wrong. Na wa for una rough tackling o.
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by TmeD0(m): 4:52pm On May 31, 2010
marabout:

@Londoner

I do not particularly care is somebody decides to fancy the hairy bony backside of a fellow bloke!! Kele  can do whatever  pleases him. But you cannot condemn a particular culture simply because it doesn't pander to your individual lifestyle.

^^gbam! my thoughts exactly!

@topic, until now, i've never heard of this kele guy. . .saw the headline on the home page and was just curious to read about it.

personally, i don't give rat's yansh if he wants to be a butt knocker (that's his prerogative as long as no child is being hurt) but what i have a problem with is someone giving a lame reason to justify the acceptance of a lifestyle they chose to lead.

yes, naija has it's fair share of societal issues that still needs to be addressed but what country doesn't!

and for this kele dude to try to make it seem like naija totally denies women their rights is absolutely ludicrous.

if at all the reverse is the case. . .i know we still have a long way to go but we are gradually getting there. 

if kele wants to talk about women's right being violated, he should go to Saudi Arabia or other middle eastern countries and see what women rights (if such word exists in that region) is like.

so, all his excuse for having a problem with the way the country treats women and its views on homosexuality is imo bologna! 

newsflash kele, naija's not the only society that's not receptive to your lifestlye dude.

and just because naija happens to be one of the many societies that still frown at the acceptance of homosexuality doesn't mean it should be shoved down the people's throats (that, imo is your goal).

herein lies a lesson to all our folks in the diaspora. . .TEACH ya children our culture and tradition from the moment they alter their first words.  a little of it, believe me, goes a long way.

it's really sad to see so many naijas (in fact, africans in general) go overseas and quickly throw away all our culture/tradition (though, not always perfect but most of it keeps you grounded) out of the window in order to embrace the lifestyle of their new environment. 

**some of these degenerates sha. . . na wa o!  undecided***
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by amefi(m): 8:13pm On May 31, 2010
[size=16pt]DELIVERANCE IS WOT KELE NEEDS, PLS JOIN HANDS AND PRAY 4 HIM FOR SATAN TO RELEASE HIM FROM CAPTIVITY[/size]
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by NIKKnJAZZ(f): 10:10pm On May 31, 2010
ifebosco:

we  have     a    serious   problem  in  nigeria  most  espacially  our  womens, most  of  them  are  too  conservative  in  their  ideologies. homosexuallity   is  not  the   end  of  the  world.why  should  you  hate  somebody   just   because  of  his/her   private  part?why  can´t  we  judge  them  normally  as  we   can  judge  our  selfs  with  knowledge  and  not  their  sexual  part."racism"   tomorrow   whiteman   "oyibo"  will  insult  you  and  you´ll  say  is   racist,what  are  you  people  doing  now  to  your  our  blood  GOD  HELP  THEM," may  be  we  don´t  have  gays  in  naija"hypocrites   i  use  this  opportunity   to  tell  womens  in  nigeria  that  if  a  man  wants  you  to  be  second  wife,  tell  him  i  want  you  to  be   second  man  and  see  how  he  will  feel.our  nigerian  womens  are  too  close  to  religion,i´m  not  saying religion  is  not  good  don´t  quote  me  wrong.  but  don´t  be  fanatic  about  religion  try  and  teach  other  womanswomen's to  accept polygamist  in  their  comunity  and  help  your  husband  with  good  family  planning.
all  around  the  world  the  greatest    way  of  changing  a  society  is  to  alow  allowdom  of  speech and  liberty   that    every  woman  been  is  equal  in  front  of  our  laws,we  don´t  have  to  discriminate  gays  because  of  our  religion  and  live  in  western  world  were  the  is   relative  peace  and  stability.we  need  our  nigeriaNigerian  to  come  up  and  change  this  our  rotin   society.remenber  i´m  not  a  gay  neither  a  women  just  a  call  for  reflection

Ummm,  I don't know where to begin with this post. First of all, I don't think you understand what homosexuality is. I can tell you that it is not about private parts, and it is not about the male species dominating the female species. It is having a sexual attraction to the same sex, hence, homo. Second of all, "womens"?? Come on now,
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by PokerFace(f): 10:43pm On May 31, 2010
Princek12:

Because dem born am for U.K. we no go hear word. If you disagree with certain Nigerian beliefs, why not speak about those issues rather than categorically berating Nigerian culture. Abeg make you go touch your toe  and point your behind to your boyfriend.

ROFLMAO grin grin grin
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by NIKKnJAZZ(f): 11:14pm On May 31, 2010
NIKKnJAZZ:

Ummm, I don't know where to begin with this post. First of all, I don't think you understand what homosexuality is. I can tell you that it is not about private parts, and it is not about the male species dominating the female species. It is having a sexual attraction to the same intimacy, hence, homo. Second of all, "womens"?? Come on now,

I feel like I'm seeing things? I'm pretty sure I wrote "same sex" not "same intimacy", that does not even sound right!! What da??
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by benzine: 12:27am On Jun 01, 2010
Gud, let him stay there in the UK and not bring his gay a** here. We dont tolerate such cos we are the "special ones".
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by favouredjb(f): 4:31pm On Jun 02, 2010
Friggin,rotte gay boy,onishe kushe

he should pls remain in his Uk and not bring his God forsaken self to naija

who needs his a.s.s here anyway,am hearing abt him for the first time

here on NL.like som1 pointed out,what has all this rights brought to the western world but trouble?
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by favouredjb(f): 4:36pm On Jun 02, 2010
ezego_1:

The reason why i love this thread is the poor guy(kele) is vindicated. Just by reading all the ignorant responses by some hungry sounding, myopic, (suffering and smiling) nigerians you will just see the guy is so spot on.

And aw are we suffering and smiling because most ppl dnt like gays like him sad
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by otitoju1: 12:15am On Jun 08, 2010
I dont think anyone should discriminate againt okereke,he is gay and that is what he chose to be. At least segun olaleye is gay and also lives a normal life in houston TX. If Segun gele can lead a normal life and even have a finance (According to his facebook profile) who is ready to marry him despite his gay status then we should leave okereke and let him be.
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by mamagee3(f): 12:21am On Jun 08, 2010
He's not the only one that has problems with Nigeria Culture. . .

I have worst problems with it, too.
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by redsky1: 9:43pm On Jun 26, 2010
I don't really care if this man is gay - that is between him and his maker when the time comes. But please people there are some aspects of our culture that are seriously messed up. women and children's rights in this country are next to nothing - try reporting to the police that ur husband raped u or beat u up, and what the heck does it mean that a married woman has to get permission from her husnad to renew her nigerian passport - if that is not middle ages thinking then i don't know what is - how many times have elders committed so many evils (especially against widows) and no one questions them cos they are elders,

if his adopted culture is so messed up then tell all those people who apply for visa everyday and brag about how many times they have travelled out to stop - if naija is so great then holiday and do ur shopping here, make sure u don't dream or send ur kids to universities abraod cos this is such a GREAT nation. abeg some of our culture is good but alot leaves a lot to be desired. the only people who love the culture are men who get away with anything including raping (under the guise of marriage) 13 year old girls,
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by shotster50(m): 11:35pm On Jun 26, 2010
I think Proproman made the most reasonable point here. Most people here are screaming murder because it is coming from some gay boy. I think he has a point there.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Pictures Of Wizkid's Baby-mama With Her Son / Photos: Cossy Orjiakor Goes Totally Nude In Support Of Super Eagles / See The Lady Behind Most Exotic And Luxurious Cars In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.