Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,414 members, 7,850,474 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 10:09 PM

Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture - Celebrities (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture (6184 Views)

7 Celebrities That Have Had Serious Problems With Olamide! / Fans Attack Afrocandy For Insulting Stephanie Okereke / Stephanie Okereke Vs. Genevieve Nnaji (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by youngbest(m): 6:11pm On May 29, 2010
eww gay scares me,
stay in London pls gay prick,
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by Nobody: 8:05pm On May 29, 2010
Bloc Party frontman Kele Okereke finds it difficult to relate to his Nigerian heritage - because of the country's stance on women's rights and homosexuality.

The openly gay singer was born in Britain, but both his parents hail from Nigeria, where homosexuality is a highly contentious issue.

And Okereke insists the country's viewpoint on gays, as well as women's rights, makes it tough for him to feel a connection to the African nation.
Why dont you guys read article provided before yabbing. . . .

I dont think he has problem with Nigerian culture in whole, just part of it.

And why are ppl vexing and getting angry? Have you not disliked part of our Nigerian culture? I'm sure not all these women here agree with the part of our culture that forces women to relinquish her family's property to his brother after his death. Or the part of culture that expects us to respect our elders when  that elder does not deserve it.

So what da fcukin hell if he has a problem with it?
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by samnaija: 8:19pm On May 29, 2010
hope ur prick gets choped off in ur boy friends ass, very sick need God,
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by ezeagu(m): 8:55pm On May 29, 2010
So much focus on one part of the issue by guys. . . . . a lot of insecurities in this thread.  grin
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by Outstrip(f): 9:16pm On May 29, 2010
LOL @ people saying he is a disgrace to Nigeria. Nigeria does not need him to disgrace itself. It's doing a fine job already
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by londoner: 9:20pm On May 29, 2010
However people may feel about him being homosexual, the guy is speaking the truth. As usual in Nigerian culture, we rush to deny the elephant in the room.

Nigerian culture in general DOES treat women as second class citizens along with young people. The reason why Nigeria is in this mess is because noone dares stand up to the elder people who are doing the country wrong.

I remember the rubbish some people here were spewing because some Nigerians in the Uk decided to show Obasanjo the disgust they had for him. They ran to his defence and all in the name of him being an "elder".

This guy is gay and he is probably sleeping with a concenting adult (even though I dont agree with it), meanwhile one of our senators has married and may have already slept with a thirteen year old girl, and people have the cheek to say Kele has misplaced priorities, lol
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by Mobinga: 9:21pm On May 29, 2010
How the bleep does this in anyway concern us?
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by Sonofpeace(m): 9:33pm On May 29, 2010
We know that some parts of our culture needs updating but we dont just need advice from a gay atleast for now.
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by freshera: 9:56pm On May 29, 2010
Na wa oh! very soon, people will start sleeping with dogs and cats, start marrying them, and start campaigning for rights. Nonsense. He should stay in UK.I only pity the innocent children brought up by "daddy" and "daddy" or "mummy" and "mummy".
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by londoner: 10:07pm On May 29, 2010
Its funny to me how people here are talking. As if Nigeria of present has any moral standing or pedegree to even tell right from wrong, let alone good from evil.
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by mbulela: 10:07pm On May 29, 2010
londoner:

Nigerian culture in general DOES treat women as second class citizens along with young people. The reason why Nigeria is in this mess is because noone dares stand up to the elder people who are doing the country wrong

That is not true at all. People have been standing up and are still standing up to the injustice in the country.It is just that the monster we face is so gigantic that victory is taking longer than imagined.By the way, what have you done to clear the mess? apart from sitting behind your laptop to type sermons?
There may be limitations in the way women are treated in the country but the same applies all over to varying degrees.Even in the western world there are boardroom celings limiting women in the corporate world.
I guess he needs to try Saudi Arabia et al?
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by Outstrip(f): 10:08pm On May 29, 2010
londoner:

However people may feel about him being homosexual, the guy is speaking the truth. As usual in Nigerian culture, we rush to deny the elephant in the room.

Nigerian culture in general DOES treat women as second class citizens along with young people. The reason why Nigeria is in this mess is because noone dares stand up to the elder people who are doing the country wrong.

I remember the rubbish some people here were spewing because some Nigerians in the Uk decided to show Obasanjo the disgust they had for him. They ran to his defence and all in the name of him being an "elder".

This guy is gay and he is probably sleeping with a concenting adult (even though I dont agree with it), meanwhile one of our senators has married and may have already slept with a thirteen year old girl, and people have the cheek to say Kele has misplaced priorities, lol

This is the problem I have with people like you. You just come into a thread and start making too much sense. Stop making sense doggone it. You sense maker
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by chika98: 10:09pm On May 29, 2010
Interesting view he has there. I had no idea he was gay though. *crosses him off the list* cry
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by mbulela: 10:10pm On May 29, 2010
londoner:

you err again.
That is the beauty of democracy.everyone has a right to air a view no matter how wrong.Those supporting Obasonjo had a right to and did just that.
It does not make them right.
After all, BNP has supporters in the UK.
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by mbulela: 10:15pm On May 29, 2010
londoner:

There you go again!!!
what planet have you been on?
People have been making their voices heard non stop for the last 3 wees about yerima.
due processes have begun, petitions have been submitted and all that.
What do you want us to do?cut of Yerima's Joystick?
just because one man slept with a minor does not make us a nation of pedophiles.
after all in europe people have slept with minors and the law too its course in a gradual and meticulous manner.
I care less who and what kelechi Okereke opens his backside to.i am more concerned about him making sweeping generalizations to look cool to his gay community.
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by londoner: 10:19pm On May 29, 2010
mbulela:

you err again.
That is the beauty of democracy.everyone has a right to air a view no matter how wrong.Those supporting Obasonjo had a right to and did just that.
It does not make them right.
After all, BNP has supporters in the UK.

mbulela:

That is not true at all. People have been standing up and are still standing up to the injustice in the country.It is just that the monster we face is so gigantic that victory is taking longer than imagined.By the way, what have you done to clear the mess? apart from sitting behind your laptop to type sermons?
There may be limitations in the way women are treated in the country but the same applies all over to varying degrees.Even in the western world there are boardroom celings limiting women in the corporate world.
I guess he needs to try Saudi Arabia et al?

You and I both know that the glass ceiling which exist elsewhere is childs play compared to what happens in Nigeria concerning womens rights. in fact the two are so far apart that Nigeria is literally light years behind anything resembling equal rights, either legally or morally.

ALL rights and priviledges in Nigeria are at the disposal of rich men. Everyone else has to wait by the sidelines, especially woman and children. I for one agree with Kele.
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by londoner: 10:24pm On May 29, 2010
@mbulela, if you look closely, the thrust of any backlash against that paedo has been from WOMEN. At the end of the day, the man still has his job, all his priviledges and has not been arrested.

Is it only him? There are many and people give excuses either through religion or culture.The same religion and culture they use to condemn others.

Kele may have made a generalisation, but is he wrong ? Is it untrue? Then maybe we should admit it and address it instead of trying to fool ourselves into thinking its all fabricated. The reactions of most here simply prove his assertions to be right, do they not?

Why delude ourselves into thinking we dont know what he is talking about?
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by ezeagu(m): 10:32pm On May 29, 2010
londoner:

Its funny to me how people here are talking. As if Nigeria of present has any moral standing or pedegree to even tell right from wrong, let alone good from evil.

A country where 1/4 or was it 1/3 of girls will be molested (no one should contest me on this, I've beard witness to these frequencies myself), it is a random British musician we will raise our voice against. Nigerians; as usual scared to face the actual problems destroying the country.
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by nnaemmy(m): 10:42pm On May 29, 2010
GUY or abi na GAY; just stay where u dey ee? no bother to come home.

FREEDOM OF LIFE(LIVE)
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by londoner: 10:44pm On May 29, 2010
ezeagu:

A country where 1/4 or was it 1/3 of girls will be molested (no one should contest me on this, I've beard witness to these frequencies myself), it is a random British musician we will raise our voice against. Nigerians; as usual scared to face the actual problems destroying the country.

Thank you! Its not even that these things happen so frequently, the difference is that it is done in such an unashamedly manner. Is it people forcefully sleeping with their housmaids/boys? Is it lecturors sleeping with students? Is it female bankers sleeping with clients as part of their duties? Is it child trafficking and prostitution?

No, which one is it that we will stand on and shout that we have have any moral high ground? Then they mention glass ceiling as if its in the same category. I will take that glass ceiling gladly over the above.

Oh and one other thing, do you know there are MANY gays in Nigeria, born and bred there? So why front?
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by bawomolo(m): 10:57pm On May 29, 2010
ezeagu:

you are making too much sense. i'm disappointed in you.

guys like hackney are the problem in nigeria, attacking the messenger instead of the message.
it's hilarious how people thinking the dude's priorities are mixed up when they most likely share the same sentiments as the gay brit/nigerian on the issue of gender inequality in Nigeria.  why should he be proud of a culture that thinks he is insane and belongs in a jail cell?

anyway burn the battyboy i guess.
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by ezeagu(m): 10:59pm On May 29, 2010
Hmm, I must have been disappointing people often. . . . . . .
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by marabout(m): 2:24am On May 30, 2010
I was about to start a thread on this last Friday but I hesitated because I thought nobody even knows Okereke outside of UK.

Okereke has again demonstrated the kind of self-loathing that only black people are capable of sepecially those who want to distance themselve from some negative views of their land of origin/motherland to please other people, improve personal profile or get some other percuniary gains.

Okereke probably doesn't know the history of UK well enough because until 1861, people were hanged for sodomy/buggery shocked shocked

Until 1967, people were sent to jail for sodomy in England. So he should not make it appear as if UK has always been gay-friendly. Oh Nigeria does NOT  have official history of hanging people for being gay. Talking about women's rights, there are still some countries where women cannot drive a car! Prominent people originate from those countries and they do not go to media houses and rubbish their land of ancestry.
Nigerian women can do any job, occupy any position (judiciary, civil service, government/politics, academia), vote, own properties, most can chose their partner/husband and more.
Historically Queen Amina, Queen Idia, Queen Moremi, Madam Tinubu, and later Margaret Ekpo and many more are well-known for their abilities and contribution and are our heroines. So Mr Okere we have known for centuries that our women are great.
Joy Ogwu, Alele Williams, Ngozi, Kema, Dora, Ifueko, Diezani and many more represent the modern Nigerian woman and what they can do if given  a chance. For a country jumbled together by Britain with the intention of perpetual subjugation, WE HAVE A LONG WAY TO GO but the Nigerian woman's condition can only get better. Problems Nigerian women face is just a reflection of the wider societal challenges.

What has Okereke ever done to EMPOWER a single Nigerian woman if he really cares If he's angry because he cannot go and sodomise desperate Nigerian boys, let him say so. He would be welcome in Phuket grin grin. There must be a more decent way to get noticed for MBE or OBE.
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by londoner: 7:49am On May 30, 2010
Its funny how people equate gays with being paedophiles,

Anyway, marabout you are talking of the Uk in 1851 and 1967. How about Nigeria in 2010?
There are draconian laws and mindsets towards the Nigerian woman and child, no matter how educated or highflying their job may be.
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by e36991: 8:32am On May 30, 2010
Marabout:

Historically Queen Amina, Queen Idia, Queen Moremi, Madam Tinubu,

and later Margaret Ekpo  and many more are well-known for their abilities and contribution and are our heroines.

So Mr Okere we have known for centuries that our women are great.

Joy Ogwu, Alele Williams, Ngozi, Kema, Dora, Ifueko, Diezani

and many more represent the modern Nigerian woman and what they can do if given  a chance.

For a country jumbled together by Britain with the intention of perpetual subjugation,

WE HAVE A LONG WAY TO GO but the Nigerian woman's condition can only get better.

Problems Nigerian women face is just a reflection of the wider societal challenges.

@Marabout

[size=14pt]Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti[/size]

How did you manage to leave Iku Baba Yeye's (i.e. Fela's) mum  out of the list?

- Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti

First Nigerian woman to drive a car in Nigeria

She battled against indiscriminate taxation of women by the colonial government.

She was the first Nigerian woman to drive a car

and she was member of the team that negotiated Nigerian independence with the British
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by philips70(m): 12:25pm On May 30, 2010
@londoner why so much pain in defending a sick and uncultured child? What has the so called women and child rights brought to the Uk if not broken homes, drug addicts and gays/lesbians in the name of freedom? Children going wacko and killing fellow schoolmates is a common thing in the western world. The vices that these so called rights brings about is an endless list. We dont even need the likes of Okereke and you to come to Naija and pollute our wards for us. Live your cultureless and frustrated lives and die in the UK. Thank you
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by mbulela: 12:38pm On May 30, 2010
@londoner, okay all is forgiven.
Tell your man Kele to come to Nigeria and pick a groom of his choice.
We will not cut off his wee wee.
I vouch for the whole country, he will be safe to pick and test as he desires.
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by osifred(m): 1:31pm On May 30, 2010
this thread does nt require me to put on my thinking cap b4 passing judgement. d dude is jst delusional pls remain in UK, 9ja does nt need pple like u, d disoriented in d society.
i dont and i will never support gay right even if dat will mean am arcahaic and ancient i agree
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by sulad82i(m): 2:06pm On May 30, 2010
hisssssss
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by samdigo(m): 3:02pm On May 30, 2010
he needs prayers
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by tayo4me(f): 3:51pm On May 30, 2010
He is being delusional as he has been brainwashed by the British culture. I agree there are some wrongs about Nigerian culture and some of its practices, but definitely not this one. Instead of them to admit they are abnormal or that they have being rejected by the opposite gender, they hide under the freedom of privacy.

He should not even bother coming to Nigeria cuz we dont need his sorry a.r.s.e polluting the country
Re: Okereke Has "Problems" With Nigerian Culture by AloyEmeka8: 4:13pm On May 30, 2010
marabout:

What has Okereke ever done to EMPOWER a single Nigerian woman if he really cares If he's angry because he cannot go and sodomise desperate Nigerian boys, let him say so. He would be welcome in Phuket grin grin. There must be a more decent way to get noticed for MBE or OBE.
LWKMD grin grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Photos Of Rick Ross In Nigeria Now / When I First Met My Wife, All I Wanted To Do Was "Hit And Run" - Chris Attoh / Is President Obamas so Called Wife Is a man? true or not watch it your self.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.