Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,650 members, 7,816,665 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:44 PM

OBASANJO: A Nation With Short Memories - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / OBASANJO: A Nation With Short Memories (1691 Views)

Obasanjo A Failure, Unfit To Recommend President For Nigerians- Tinubu / Endsars/covid19 Palliative: Nigerians Have Short Memories / Obasanjo: A Nation With Short Memories (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

OBASANJO: A Nation With Short Memories by Dexpro: 4:39pm On Jun 01, 2018
OBASANJO: A nation with short memories

When Obasanjo became President in 1999, Nigeria was on a ground zero, it was a frustrated nation with years of dirty and tribal politics of IBB, Abacha and Abdul Salam.

It was also a nation with a dirty military with loyalty only to the assasinations of political opponents with almost $50b debts and $2.4b foreign reserved openly stolen by Abdul Salam regime in the last days of his administration, it was a task very few could handle.

Nigeria of 1999 was a people traumatised by the years of oppression in which a President Obasanjo had to contend with, his health was in problem due to years of incastration by Abacha and, his diabetic condition took a downturn on his look, a robust Obasanjo before he was jailed appeared ugly and mean, despite all that, he never went out of the country for medical attention, he believed in his people and like the last soldier in the Biafra war, Obasanjo became the redeemer of Nigeria.

The Military was cleaned up, with massive retirement of those who worked in any political capacity with the past military leaders, he went for the best hands to handle both politics and economic policies of the nation, he hired technocrats in and out of Nigeria to help in nations re-building.

Obasanjo was not a failure, he got results for his efforts, the military became an institution ready to listen to civilian authority, his administration introduced EFCC and other agencies to battle corruption and he got vissible result, he jailed his Inspector General of Police, and 3 Senate Presidents lost their jobs, and his VP Atiku was almost removed.

In his job, nobody could accuse him of tribalism, because he gave his best to his nation, those who tried to be like him failed on the platform of three goals of religion, tribalism, and godfather mentality, Obasanjo is above the class of all Nigeria leaders since 1960.

Those who hated him wanted him to be like them, but Obasanjo is above all sentiments, he covered his behind with solid facts, he documented things beyond ordinary, he wrote too details even in his books.

General Danjuma at one time called Obasanjo as the greatest President Nigeria ever had, he knew him as boss, and as a friend. No doubt Obasanjo is a proud man, he loves to make fun of those with half education, and he is a man very difficult to fool, and his words are just what it is.

The nation's electricity in 1999 had no base with only Kainji dam to feed the whole nation power grill, President Obasanjo created a new foundation for electricity in Nigeria, with new six new power stations based on gas pipeline from SS, and two new hydro stations in Mambilla, and Zungeru.

Private stations like AGIP, and Mobil went into energy prodiction but Nigeria population outspaced the very much he could do in office, which was why he asked for a third term and was denied.

All his projects started the new energy revolution which Yar'Adua and Jonathan mismanaged, as frugal and misery Obasanjo's presidency was, it is difficult to see how he will not be freed of corruption if Buhari is strong enough to drag him to Court.

When Obasanjo said, even though $16b was approved for electricity, he made it clear his administration actually got less than $10b and only $3.7 was spent, and the balance of $6.3b was kept in the escrow account of Central Bank of Nigeria.

The Oracle says It is very easy to believe Obasanjo because of his records in documentation. If not, why did the CBN not dispute his words?

However, when you live in a nation where leaders are too lazy to read, rumors and beer parlor stories will be the bedrock of political decisions.

EFCC and CBN can still take a second look at books of Obasanjo on the $16b but it is doubtful if it will not end up as a wasted venture.

- Kunle Sowunmi writes from Brooklyn, New York

3 Likes

Re: OBASANJO: A Nation With Short Memories by planetuzor(m): 4:49pm On Jun 01, 2018
Obasanjo. No dull momment with him

1 Like

Re: OBASANJO: A Nation With Short Memories by yarimo(m): 6:21pm On Jun 01, 2018
Stop writing false news from brooklyn in new York as you claim, come to zungeru and show me the hydro station you claim obasanjo build.

1 Like

Re: OBASANJO: A Nation With Short Memories by herraph: 4:03am On Jun 02, 2018
Anybody accusing Obasanjo for anything is a stupid fellow who hasn't open any book to Read about all that transpire in his administration and has low memory due to so much wanking.

We lived in a prosperous and hopeful country during Obasanjo time, now everyone wants to leave the country or divide it.

2 Likes

Re: OBASANJO: A Nation With Short Memories by Alejoc(m): 5:25am On Jun 02, 2018
You are part of the problem Sir..... And obviously not part of the solution cos you are still driven by self agenda!
Re: OBASANJO: A Nation With Short Memories by ZombiePUNISHER: 6:50am On Jun 02, 2018
Buhari the terrorist and his zombie supporters will not make heaven

2 Likes

Re: OBASANJO: A Nation With Short Memories by ElsonMorali: 6:58am On Jun 02, 2018
Tell your godfather to account for the misappropriated 16 BILLION DOLLARS that was supposed to be used to fix electricity problem in Nigeria.

Some youths are just plain dumb. The op is a special case in either stupidity or selfishness..

1 Like

Re: OBASANJO: A Nation With Short Memories by Kingbabu: 7:27am On Jun 02, 2018
Even the most foolish man would not keep the military who had tasted political appointment in office then.It should also be noted that the North which dominated the Army had a degree of trust in him for handing over government to Shagari.Lastly,what else could he have done than to look for experts who would rule with him but what was the infrastructural result of all these when he left office ?
Re: OBASANJO: A Nation With Short Memories by fergie001: 8:47am On Jun 02, 2018

In his job, nobody could accuse him of tribalism, because he gave his best to his nation, those who tried to be like him failed on the platform of three goals of religion, tribalism

I did not read the rest...
But with this Nigeria is eternally grateful to him...
Nobody can fault this.....

Irrespective of his shortcomings, God Bless You.

2 Likes

Re: OBASANJO: A Nation With Short Memories by Dexpro: 10:24am On Jun 02, 2018
The way to zungeru is not hidden bro, go check yourself.

yarimo:
Stop writing false news from brooklyn in new York as you claim, come to zungeru and show me the hydro station you claim obasanjo build.
Re: OBASANJO: A Nation With Short Memories by orunto27: 10:24am On Jun 02, 2018
Thanks for this very good Report.
Re: OBASANJO: A Nation With Short Memories by Dexpro: 10:29am On Jun 02, 2018
ElsonMorali:
Tell your godfather to account for the misappropriated 16 BILLION DOLLARS that was supposed to be used to fix electricity problem in Nigeria.

Some youths are just plain dumb. The op is a special case in either stupidity or selfishness..

The Military had looted Nigeria dry including the regime of the present President and Abacha.
And billions were mismanaged in PTF under PMB with importation of expired drugs and obsolete medical equipment.

Yet focus was never on the negatives.

Under this regime, no single power plant equipment has been imported apart from those bought by OBJ and Jonathan.

Me think the reason God will continue to punish Nigeria is because we have a very short memory, we are not just and we view things only from the prism of tribe and religion.

Let's give Buhari 8 more years, and let's see the state of things after 12 years in power.

We are yet to weep!
Re: OBASANJO: A Nation With Short Memories by orunto27: 10:38am On Jun 02, 2018
ZombiePUNISHER:
Buhari the terrorist and his zombie supporters will not make heaven

That's what good Trump is trumpeting to him.
Re: OBASANJO: A Nation With Short Memories by Dexpro: 10:39am On Jun 02, 2018
How can you say PMB improved the foreign reserve with $3billion and he borrowed $11billion and people are clapping?

As for me, I'm 47yrs old, nothing more to live for other than the truth. And I'm not poor so I need no favour from no one. I'm contented with my life.

The calamity ahead will descend on both Moslems, Christians, pagans, Fulani, Yoruba, Igbos and on everyone. So keep supporting blindness to satisfy your religious and tribal sentiments instead of grabbing the bull by the horn.

worksmart:
He made $16billion disappear!

He gave our $1 trillion Malabu oil block to his white nation master as a gift.

He gave our Nigerian land Bakassi to Cameroon with no referendum.

Devalued Naira massively

Hike fuel prices massively

Sold any national assets he was able to.

Mismanaged and liquidised Nigeria Airways

Bribed NAss to allow him 3rd term

Massacred communities in Odi and Zaki Baum.

8 good years & not a single infrastructural project completed.

8 years that saw greatest level of unsolved political murders including his serving Attorney General of Federation Bola Ige.

Obasanjo is today at liberty and preaching good governance. Indeed we have a short memory
Re: OBASANJO: A Nation With Short Memories by SalamRushdie: 10:44am On Jun 02, 2018
The worst Obasanjo is 1 million times better than the best Buhari !!!!!!! ...Buhari is an enemy of all Nigerians born and unborn
Re: OBASANJO: A Nation With Short Memories by ElsonMorali: 11:28am On Jun 02, 2018
Dexpro:

The Military had looted Nigeria dry including the regime of the present President and Abacha.
And billions were mismanaged in PTF under PMB with importation of expired drugs and obsolete medical equipment.

Yet focus was never on the negatives.

Under this regime, no single power plant equipment has been imported apart from those bought by OBJ and Jonathan.

Me think the reason God will continue to punish Nigeria is because we have a very short memory, we are not just and we view things only from the prism of tribe and religion.

Let's give Buhari 8 more years, and let's see the state of things after 12 years in power.

We are yet to weep!

May God punish all politicians who have ruled since democracy came back to Nigeria.

May God punish all their supporters too.

I'm sure you were paid to come and launder Obasanjo's image online abi?

What's the game plan?

Is he coming back to contest? Because I don't understand the reason behind this very foolish thread.

Obasanjo mismanaged and misappropriated 16billion DOLLARS, an amount that could build a new nation from ground up and some idiot is telling us Obasanjo tried.

Ko de ni ragba fun gbogbo won lae.

Which kain nonsensical nonsense be did early mormor?

Buhari is a failure.

As the people of Benue are being massacred and he's lax about it, may he also never see peace.

We are supposed to be stoning these people instead of praising them. Are we so blind we can't actually see what's in from of our nose?

O ga o.
Re: OBASANJO: A Nation With Short Memories by Dexpro: 12:00pm On Jun 02, 2018
Is there a need insults here? I shudder at thought of people like you being at helms of affairs.
ElsonMorali:

May God punish all politicians who have ruled since democracy came back to Nigeria.

May God punish all their supporters too.

I'm sure you were paid to come and launder Obasanjo's image online abi?

What's the game plan?

Is he coming back to contest? Because I don't understand the reason behind this very foolish thread.

Obasanjo mismanaged and misappropriated 16billion DOLLARS, an amount that could build a new nation from ground up and some idiot is telling us Obasanjo tried.

Ko de ni ragba fun gbogbo won lae.

Which kain nonsensical nonsense be did early mormor?

Buhari is a failure.

As the people of Benue are being massacred and he's lax about it, may he also never see peace.

We are supposed to be stoning these people instead of praising them. Are we so blind we can't actually see what's in from of our nose?

O ga o.
Re: OBASANJO: A Nation With Short Memories by yarimo(m): 12:05pm On Jun 02, 2018
Dexpro:
The way to zungeru is not hidden bro, go check yourself.

nothing in zungeru
Re: OBASANJO: A Nation With Short Memories by ElsonMorali: 3:57pm On Jun 02, 2018
Dexpro:
Is there a need insults here? I shudder at thought of people like you being at helms of affairs.

You should shudder if you are part of those embezzling our commonwealth.
Re: OBASANJO: A Nation With Short Memories by luvmijeje(f): 4:54pm On Jun 02, 2018
I like him, if not for anything, for being a nationalist. He never tried to divide us. He gave every part of this country a chance in his government. He didn't play favoritism the way his successors did. He didn't give criminals rooms to thrive though he's a criminal.
Re: OBASANJO: A Nation With Short Memories by Dexpro: 5:59pm On Jun 02, 2018
luvmijeje:
I like him, if not for anything, for being a nationalist. He never tried to divide us. He gave every part of this country a chance in his government. He didn't play favoritism the way his successors did. He didn't give criminals rooms to thrive though he's a criminal.

LMAO...Though he's a criminal got me...

Chai...

(1) (Reply)

US Deports 34 Nigerians Over Various Offences / Ekiti 2018: Fayemi Jittery As PDP Prepares For Tribunal / See The Birthday Cake Presented To Emir Sanusi By His Yoruba Friend(pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.