Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,220 members, 7,811,616 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:44 PM

Costly Mistakes To Avoid When Travelling Abroad - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Costly Mistakes To Avoid When Travelling Abroad (28393 Views)

Stop Travelling Abroad Without Proper Documentation, Dabiri-Erewa Warns Nigerian / DON'T LISTEN TO Anyone Who Discourages You From Travelling Abroad / Things A Newbie Should Know About Travelling Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Costly Mistakes To Avoid When Travelling Abroad by Revolva(m): 8:04am On Jun 06, 2018
We all make mistakes, but when it comes to travelling abroad, we can make costly mistakes without even trying. Some of them are quick to fix and easily forgotten, others can be expensive, and time-consuming. When next you are travelling abroad, I highlight mistakes you should avoid.

Failing to Check their Passport Dates

Did you know that many countries require your Passport to be valid for at least six months after your return? If you go through customs with a passport that is soon to expire, you may be turned away. Check the passport regulations for your destination country well in advance of your trip.

Forgetting to buy travel insurance

Many travellers forget to buy travel insurance, but having a good travel insurance plan is cheap and smart protection from accidents, injuries and illnesses, passport and card theft, and even travel delays. Travellers who buy travel insurance know that they have the coverage they need in a travel emergency as well as a person to call for help when things go wrong on their trip.

Packing the wrong things

If a traveller packs well, they will have the right clothing, medicine, and tools they need to be comfortable. While you can’t plan for everything that can go wrong, having what you need when you need it can make a big difference in your safe and healthy return back home. Additionally, do not pack too many things.

Forget travel adapters

The electrical plugs that are standard in your home country are not the same in other countries, and you will need adapters to use your electronic devices and appliances. Buy the adapters you need for the country you are visiting and whatever you do, if the plug doesn’t fit, don’t force it.

Convert currency at expensive places

Travelling abroad is never cheap and it can get even more expensive when converting currency. Getting the best exchange rate is important. The best way to exchange currency is by visiting official bureau de changes.

24 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Costly Mistakes To Avoid When Travelling Abroad by Exwizard: 8:13am On Jun 06, 2018
Well. It's informative, even though I've never traveled out before, but am surely optimistic that somehow sometime I will surely do

Anyway have you ever notice this?
Nigerian Army has been training since I was a kid but have never had any war... Why can't they just organize a friendly match with Iraq or Pakistan?JUST THINKING

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Costly Mistakes To Avoid When Travelling Abroad by manforgu: 8:24am On Jun 06, 2018
Seriously?
Re: Costly Mistakes To Avoid When Travelling Abroad by nairalandaddict: 8:24am On Jun 06, 2018
brilliant article, this was what we used to know Nairaland for back in its days of glory

35 Likes

Re: Costly Mistakes To Avoid When Travelling Abroad by skills50(m): 8:25am On Jun 06, 2018
seen

Next post joor
Re: Costly Mistakes To Avoid When Travelling Abroad by okomile(f): 8:25am On Jun 06, 2018
Good
Re: Costly Mistakes To Avoid When Travelling Abroad by somto811(m): 8:25am On Jun 06, 2018
nice
Re: Costly Mistakes To Avoid When Travelling Abroad by OboOlora(f): 8:25am On Jun 06, 2018
Op, how can u forget the most important thing?!

Wrap your green passport with a blue pouch, so people don’t start staring at you like a criminal from a sh1thole while at the airport

69 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Costly Mistakes To Avoid When Travelling Abroad by Cowbuhari: 8:26am On Jun 06, 2018
me na germany visa i need oooo
Re: Costly Mistakes To Avoid When Travelling Abroad by MrBrownJay1(m): 8:26am On Jun 06, 2018
Revolva:
Convert currency at expensive places
Travelling abroad is never cheap and it can get even more expensive when converting currency. Getting the best exchange rate is important. The best way to exchange currency is by visiting official bureau de changes.

the above is a funny one as there are many official bureau de change at airports, and sadly, these are the worst rates you will get in the world.... airport/major train stations etc should be avoided when changing money (whether official bureau de change or not).

what about:
NEVER to buy food/drinks at the airport... if you must then buy it at your local supermarket before getting to the airport.

UNDERSTANDING how much weight you can carry... because if your luggages are over the weight limit, these airlines will charge you an arm and a leg, unless you want to drop your future kids college tuition on excess luggage fees

18 Likes

Re: Costly Mistakes To Avoid When Travelling Abroad by jrusky(m): 8:28am On Jun 06, 2018
You are hearing 30,000 are coming back from Germany alone you are still talking costly mistakes.
Re: Costly Mistakes To Avoid When Travelling Abroad by bigerboy200: 8:29am On Jun 06, 2018
Cowbuhari:
me na germany visa i need oooo
30000 Nigerians are about to be deported from Germany. So choose another country.North Korea Dey find people sha
Re: Costly Mistakes To Avoid When Travelling Abroad by sahm4u2nv(m): 8:30am On Jun 06, 2018
cool
Awesome
Re: Costly Mistakes To Avoid When Travelling Abroad by hepzibahpraise(f): 8:31am On Jun 06, 2018
Keeping your land documents with members of your family instead of the bank.

17 Likes

Re: Costly Mistakes To Avoid When Travelling Abroad by 2odd(m): 8:31am On Jun 06, 2018
OboOlora:

Wrap your green passport with a blue pouch, so people don’t start staring at you like a criminal from a sh1thole while at the airport
Babe , I suppose give u one chilled odeku ,but I guess u dey fast , �

5 Likes

Re: Costly Mistakes To Avoid When Travelling Abroad by lonelydora: 8:31am On Jun 06, 2018
Good info

2 Likes

Re: Costly Mistakes To Avoid When Travelling Abroad by MPESA(m): 8:31am On Jun 06, 2018
OboOlora:

Can't just stop laughing.
Re: Costly Mistakes To Avoid When Travelling Abroad by Blossom78(f): 8:32am On Jun 06, 2018
Informative nice

2 Likes

Re: Costly Mistakes To Avoid When Travelling Abroad by Nobody: 8:32am On Jun 06, 2018
cool
Re: Costly Mistakes To Avoid When Travelling Abroad by 2odd(m): 8:32am On Jun 06, 2018
hepzibahpraise:
Keeping your land documents with members of your family instead of the bank.
Biggest mistake, n sending money for building house or something,no try am o!!!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Costly Mistakes To Avoid When Travelling Abroad by sahm4u2nv(m): 8:33am On Jun 06, 2018
OboOlora:

Hate speech angry

Anywhere any day, try and be proud of yh Country

Proud to be a Nigerian

God bless Nigeria and Nigerian

3 Likes

Re: Costly Mistakes To Avoid When Travelling Abroad by CID: 8:34am On Jun 06, 2018
Another very valid point should be; no help person carry any thing (bag or baggage) for airport, lest you become a drug courier unknowingly.

22 Likes

Re: Costly Mistakes To Avoid When Travelling Abroad by alphaconde(m): 8:36am On Jun 06, 2018
i will soon travel but this is not what i want to hear, its how to remain there without coming back i want to know

4 Likes

Re: Costly Mistakes To Avoid When Travelling Abroad by IMASTEX: 8:38am On Jun 06, 2018
Okay
Re: Costly Mistakes To Avoid When Travelling Abroad by Nobody: 8:40am On Jun 06, 2018
All the points are very helpful:
That packing the wrong things is a good point. Know the local weather conditions where you're travelling to. Summer clothes are different from spring and winter wears. Avoid yourself the embarrassment of shaking like a goat cos you only came around with shirt and jeans. You would end up with unbudgeted expenses.
That travel adapter thing is on point. Once had a long over in Istanbul, had to watch in horror as my battery ran down, couldn't enjoy the airport free WiFi and was too stingy to buy an adapter for 10 Lira. grin angry

8 Likes

Re: Costly Mistakes To Avoid When Travelling Abroad by Albert0011(m): 8:41am On Jun 06, 2018
Thanks for the enlightment.

2 Likes

Re: Costly Mistakes To Avoid When Travelling Abroad by Yoshy: 8:42am On Jun 06, 2018
alphaconde:
i will soon travel but this is not what i want to hear, its how to remain there without coming back i want to know

Lol! You want to run forever? Don't worry, unless you eventually have a family there and real love that can keep you, you will soon run back home to visit.

2 Likes

Re: Costly Mistakes To Avoid When Travelling Abroad by Nobody: 8:42am On Jun 06, 2018
Hahaha.. cover your green passport with a blue pouch... Very important!

2 Likes

Re: Costly Mistakes To Avoid When Travelling Abroad by Yameater(m): 8:42am On Jun 06, 2018
nairalandaddict:
brilliant article, this was what we used to know Nairaland for back in its days of glory

So are now saying that our nl is in its days of bulls. I. I. T?

1 Like

Re: Costly Mistakes To Avoid When Travelling Abroad by Cowbuhari: 8:46am On Jun 06, 2018
bigerboy200:
30000 Nigerians are about to be deported from Germany. So choose another country.North Korea Dey find people sha

bros you gat no chill fa grin grin
those being deported enter from libya illegally na
with 1.2mil you get a german visa and a resident permit
i no wan dat short man for NK mke im use me test missile

7 Likes

Re: Costly Mistakes To Avoid When Travelling Abroad by Ogalanyaidi(m): 8:48am On Jun 06, 2018
I traveled with my techno charger. Omo when I reach australia I discovered that it was different.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian Embassy Has No Stamp In South Africa, As Man Blasts Nigeria / Nigerians In India Deported As Immigration Officers Break Into Homes / Multiple Cars Collide With Each Other At Iyana Oworo, Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.