Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,818,008 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:43 AM

Clattenburg Claims Mikel Almost Ended His Career In England - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Clattenburg Claims Mikel Almost Ended His Career In England (308 Views)

Mark Clattenburg: Mikel Obi Almost Made Me Quit Refereeing – Ex-EPL Referee / Mark Clattenburg: "I Once Threw My Boots At Mourinho" - EPL Referee / Clattenburg: Mikel Obi, Bellamy, Roy Keane Are Among My 5 Most Annoying Players (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Clattenburg Claims Mikel Almost Ended His Career In England by Eastatlantaniqqa(m): 4:42pm On Jun 06, 2018
Former Premier League referee Mark Clattenburg has stated one of the most challenging moments in his career.

The 43-year-old who will be part of ITV's team at this summer's World Cup opened up on the racist allegations made against Super Eagles captain Mikel Obi back in 2012.

The referee was alleged to have abused the then Chelsea midfielder after a clash with Manchester United and admits he considered quitting as a result.

"The first few days I was soul-searching you know you’re innocent yet you’re made to feel otherwise.

"I knew it wasn’t true, but I could not speak. Me and my family went through hell — I even thought about quitting."

Meanwhile, out of the 99 officials chosen, no England referee and assistant were chosen to officiate at the forthcoming Russia 2018 World Cup.

It had earlier reported that retired Juventus goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon has been handed a three-match ban by UEFA for his spat with England referee Michael Oliver.

Buffon was sent off by Oliver for misconduct following the penalty the English referee awarded to Real Madrid in their Champions League second league quarter final clash.

Medhi Benatia was adjudged to have fouled Lucas Vasquez in the 93rd minute of the match as the Serie A side were three-goals up.

Cristiano Ronaldo converted the resulting spot-kick to seal Real's passage to the semis but Oliver and his family received several threats on social media afterwards.

http://footballflaver..com/2018/06/clattenburg-claims-mikel-almost-ended.html?m=1
Re: Clattenburg Claims Mikel Almost Ended His Career In England by Nobody: 4:43pm On Jun 06, 2018
It's possible.

Instead of watching Chinese league, I'll rather snore

(1) (Reply)

World Cup: Pig Predicts Nigeria Will Get To Semi-finals / How Mo' Salah Returns May Spell Doom For Russia / Nigeria Footballers Should Remember

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.