Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,835 members, 7,810,214 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:07 AM

Mark Clattenburg: Mikel Obi Almost Made Me Quit Refereeing – Ex-EPL Referee - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Mark Clattenburg: Mikel Obi Almost Made Me Quit Refereeing – Ex-EPL Referee (32464 Views)

EPL Referee Anthony Taylor Is DEMOTED To The Championship / Mark Clattenburg: "I Once Threw My Boots At Mourinho" - EPL Referee / Clattenburg: Mikel Obi, Bellamy, Roy Keane Are Among My 5 Most Annoying Players (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mark Clattenburg: Mikel Obi Almost Made Me Quit Refereeing – Ex-EPL Referee by Businesslist: 1:42pm On Sep 18, 2021
Former Premier League referee, Mark Clattenburg, has revealed that allegations made by former Chelsea midfielder, John Mikel Obi, almost made him quit.

In 2012, Clattenburg was accused of racially abusing the Nigerian player.

This followed a 3-2 defeat to Manchester United at Stamford Bridge .

Clattenburg had sent off two Chelsea players Branislav Ivanovic and Fernando Torres and the officials missed an offside for United’s winning goal.

In his new autobiography, Whistle-Blower, he wrote: “Chelsea made a formal complaint to the FA three days after the game. They were saying I had racially abused Mikel and for the first time, I was made aware of the specifics of their accusation, which was also leaked to the press.

“According to Chelsea, I had said to Mikel, ‘Shut up, you monkey.’ The language disgusted me, it was damaging and fictitious.

“Twenty-five days after the game, the FA dismissed the case. I was not guilty, something I had known all along.”

Source: https://dailypost.ng/2021/09/18/mikel-obi-almost-made-me-quit-refereeing-ex-epl-referee-mark-clattenburg/

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mark Clattenburg: Mikel Obi Almost Made Me Quit Refereeing – Ex-EPL Referee by bigdammyj: 5:26pm On Sep 18, 2021
Noted
Re: Mark Clattenburg: Mikel Obi Almost Made Me Quit Refereeing – Ex-EPL Referee by inoki247: 5:26pm On Sep 18, 2021
ok

1 Like

Re: Mark Clattenburg: Mikel Obi Almost Made Me Quit Refereeing – Ex-EPL Referee by Calibrator: 5:27pm On Sep 18, 2021
That particular match was full of bias decisions.

Evans fouled Torres and as Clattenburg blew his whistle for a foul, Evans feeling guilty was already holding his head in his hands in anticipation of a straight red being the last defender, imagine the surprise when this biased referee pointed a second yellow card at Torres and sent him off for simulation.

Don't even get me started on the winning goal scored by United on the day.

Fraudulent decisions like that is why Karma is dealing with Manchester United post-ferguson era.

Long may it continue!

KTBFFH!

245 Likes 20 Shares

Re: Mark Clattenburg: Mikel Obi Almost Made Me Quit Refereeing – Ex-EPL Referee by chatinent: 5:27pm On Sep 18, 2021
It hurts to say things against sb, esp when they aren't doing them.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mark Clattenburg: Mikel Obi Almost Made Me Quit Refereeing – Ex-EPL Referee by BrickDevo: 5:27pm On Sep 18, 2021
V
Re: Mark Clattenburg: Mikel Obi Almost Made Me Quit Refereeing – Ex-EPL Referee by Passionate888: 5:27pm On Sep 18, 2021
They are the only ones that knows the truth

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Mark Clattenburg: Mikel Obi Almost Made Me Quit Refereeing – Ex-EPL Referee by Jameszinchenkov: 5:27pm On Sep 18, 2021
J
Re: Mark Clattenburg: Mikel Obi Almost Made Me Quit Refereeing – Ex-EPL Referee by tillaman(m): 5:27pm On Sep 18, 2021
angry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mark Clattenburg: Mikel Obi Almost Made Me Quit Refereeing – Ex-EPL Referee by tradepunter: 5:27pm On Sep 18, 2021
Ok
Re: Mark Clattenburg: Mikel Obi Almost Made Me Quit Refereeing – Ex-EPL Referee by Vinnie2000(m): 5:28pm On Sep 18, 2021
All these Man U Refs..Him and Howard Webb +Anthony Taylor, currently sad

U don talk this Thing B4 nah! undecided

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Mark Clattenburg: Mikel Obi Almost Made Me Quit Refereeing – Ex-EPL Referee by Sniper4real(m): 5:28pm On Sep 18, 2021
G
Re: Mark Clattenburg: Mikel Obi Almost Made Me Quit Refereeing – Ex-EPL Referee by Whitecoal711: 5:28pm On Sep 18, 2021
False call

2 Likes

Re: Mark Clattenburg: Mikel Obi Almost Made Me Quit Refereeing – Ex-EPL Referee by Vulcanheph(m): 5:28pm On Sep 18, 2021
That one concern am...
Re: Mark Clattenburg: Mikel Obi Almost Made Me Quit Refereeing – Ex-EPL Referee by SamgoldBaba: 5:28pm On Sep 18, 2021
This man's making headline today shocked
Re: Mark Clattenburg: Mikel Obi Almost Made Me Quit Refereeing – Ex-EPL Referee by blaque7: 5:28pm On Sep 18, 2021
ClattenUNITED!

Brother to Howard Webb.

Nephew to Sir Alex Ferguson!

40 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Mark Clattenburg: Mikel Obi Almost Made Me Quit Refereeing – Ex-EPL Referee by babalonshee(m): 5:28pm On Sep 18, 2021
Aiit
Re: Mark Clattenburg: Mikel Obi Almost Made Me Quit Refereeing – Ex-EPL Referee by Blakpot: 5:28pm On Sep 18, 2021
Lol
Read somewhere Mikel said Ramires told him that's what Clattenberg said, even tho Ramires could barely understand or speak English for that matter.

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Mark Clattenburg: Mikel Obi Almost Made Me Quit Refereeing – Ex-EPL Referee by WibusJaga: 5:28pm On Sep 18, 2021

Black man will ever continue to suffer victim of racial abuse. The root cause is that feeling of inferiority to the whites.

30 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Mark Clattenburg: Mikel Obi Almost Made Me Quit Refereeing – Ex-EPL Referee by Blacknote: 5:29pm On Sep 18, 2021
Re: Mark Clattenburg: Mikel Obi Almost Made Me Quit Refereeing – Ex-EPL Referee by kingthreat(m): 5:29pm On Sep 18, 2021
Civilization may need to be reviewed.
Anything that seems anti-women, anti-LGBT or racist is demonized and the person is criticized like the devil himself.
Glad the FA investigated and dismissed the claim. See how a man's diligent refereeing career would have become history years ago.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mark Clattenburg: Mikel Obi Almost Made Me Quit Refereeing – Ex-EPL Referee by IAMTHEHERO: 5:29pm On Sep 18, 2021
Chelsea players and their fans na their way..
Anytime they loose match they bring out accusations..

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mark Clattenburg: Mikel Obi Almost Made Me Quit Refereeing – Ex-EPL Referee by brainpower(m): 5:30pm On Sep 18, 2021
This man was guilty. It took media propaganda and especially Alex Ferguson because he was an influential and respected coach to come and speak out in his favour before things started to turn around for him. He should go and sit down.

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Mark Clattenburg: Mikel Obi Almost Made Me Quit Refereeing – Ex-EPL Referee by kenzysmith: 5:31pm On Sep 18, 2021
Yes Mikel obi lied against him that very low of him , how on earth will a ref call him a monkey for England o wey they are strict about racist

2 Likes

Re: Mark Clattenburg: Mikel Obi Almost Made Me Quit Refereeing – Ex-EPL Referee by McOluOmo: 5:31pm On Sep 18, 2021
Ok

Guys wey no get girlfriend get peace of mind

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mark Clattenburg: Mikel Obi Almost Made Me Quit Refereeing – Ex-EPL Referee by XaintJoel20: 5:32pm On Sep 18, 2021
Since these men (Howard Webb and Mark) left, Manchester United have not been able to win any major trophy in England.
Mikel Obi may have been wrong in his accusations, but no denying the fact that Mark was United referee...

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mark Clattenburg: Mikel Obi Almost Made Me Quit Refereeing – Ex-EPL Referee by Sonnobax15(m): 5:32pm On Sep 18, 2021
lipsrsealed
Re: Mark Clattenburg: Mikel Obi Almost Made Me Quit Refereeing – Ex-EPL Referee by Nobody: 5:33pm On Sep 18, 2021
Imagine. Blaming someon else for your decisions.

So Mikel also made you go to the Middle East to earn millions of pounds?
Re: Mark Clattenburg: Mikel Obi Almost Made Me Quit Refereeing – Ex-EPL Referee by Blakpot: 5:33pm On Sep 18, 2021
brainpower:
This man was guilty. It took media propaganda and especially Alex Ferguson because he was an influential and respected coach to come and speak out in his favour before things started to turn around for him. He should go and sit down.

That's why he was Man U favourite ref wink

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Man Slumps, Dies During Early Morning Jogging Exercise In Lagos (photo) / Julen Lopetegui: Spain Sacks Coach After He Takes Real Madrid Job / Mohamed Salah Named 2018 African Player Of The Year [Full Awards List]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.