Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,306 members, 7,811,908 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:07 PM

Who Is A Scientific Officer In A Teaching Hospital - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Who Is A Scientific Officer In A Teaching Hospital (10680 Views)

University Of Nigeria Teaching Hospital Graduate Internship Recruitment-9 Positi / See Nine (9) Dos And Don'ts While Going For A Teaching Job Interview In Nigeria / Recruitment At Igbinedion University Teaching Hospital, Okada (9 Positions) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Is A Scientific Officer In A Teaching Hospital by Treshmike(m): 10:46pm On Jun 06, 2018
Pls admin help move this to front-page. I'll like to know what it takes to be a scientific officer in a teaching hospital. Like the job qualification, job description, areas of specialization, remuneration and what it takes to build a career around it. Please the information will be very useful to me. I've search the internet but not satisfied.
Re: Who Is A Scientific Officer In A Teaching Hospital by henrygale(m): 4:42am On Jun 07, 2018
It is just one of the cadres created in hospitals by management of tertiary hospital to be able to accommodate people who ordinarily has nothing to do in the hospital. However, after employment, the management of such hospitals posts them to departments they need extra hand for non clinical works.
E.g. some of them are posted to nhis department to do the administrative jobs of the unit, some to departmental offices, some even to staff schools of the hospital. So there is no direct job description for them as far as I know

3 Likes

Re: Who Is A Scientific Officer In A Teaching Hospital by Polchiz(m): 8:42pm On Oct 25, 2020
henrygale:
It is just one of the cadres created in hospitals by management of tertiary hospital to be able to accommodate people who ordinarily has nothing to do in the hospital. However, after employment, the management of such hospitals posts them to departments they need extra hand for non clinical works.
E.g. some of them are posted to nhis department to do the administrative jobs of the unit, some to departmental offices, some even to staff schools of the hospital. So there is no direct job description for them as far as I know
Why waste resources if they have nothing to do with the hospital?
Even developed countries have scientific officers and their responsibilities are:

i. Devising research proposals and programs based on the desires of the organization's executives.

ii. These professionals coordinate meetings, both within and among teams they lead, and they shoulder administrative responsibilities in personnel and budget management.

iii. Scientific officers also supervise the implementation of programs and coordinate the work between different labs and phases of the research for maximum efficiency and progress. Scientific officers then report these results to executives.

iv. They may also meet with clients or regulators to discuss, report or explain projects.

v. Scientific officers also work with other departments on tasks related to policymaking, intellectual property or management of lab sites

vi. With proper hospital organization, they can stand in for Medical lab. scientists when they go on leave or if they need additional hands.
Re: Who Is A Scientific Officer In A Teaching Hospital by henrygale(m): 10:48pm On Oct 27, 2020
The job description you highlighted can only work in a well organised society.
Which research do they do in our so called tertiary institutions?
Their job description in Naija is what I mentioned.
Welcome to Nigeria

Polchiz:

Why waste resources if they have nothing to do with the hospital?
Even developed countries have scientific officers and their responsibilities are:

i. Devising research proposals and programs based on the desires of the organization's executives.

ii. These professionals coordinate meetings, both within and among teams they lead, and they shoulder administrative responsibilities in personnel and budget management.

iii. Scientific officers also supervise the implementation of programs and coordinate the work between different labs and phases of the research for maximum efficiency and progress. Scientific officers then report these results to executives.

iv. They may also meet with clients or regulators to discuss, report or explain projects.

v. Scientific officers also work with other departments on tasks related to policymaking, intellectual property or management of lab sites

vi. With proper hospital organization, they can stand in for Medical lab. scientists when they go on leave or if they need additional hands.
Re: Who Is A Scientific Officer In A Teaching Hospital by desertboom(m): 3:00pm On Nov 09, 2020
Nothing is straight forward in Nigeria
Re: Who Is A Scientific Officer In A Teaching Hospital by Nobody: 7:53am On Sep 20, 2022
henrygale:
This is not true. Scientific Officer are from many discipline of science like Scientific Officer (Microbiology), Scientific Officer (Biochemist), Scientific Officer (Immunology) , so Federal Govt doesn't call them by their discipline but call them Scientific Officer so if you are recruited by Federal Govt you will be called scientific Officer and you will be posted to a govt parastaltal to perform your duty, a microbiologist scientific Officer will be working in the micro lab, a scientific Officer (Biochemist) in NAFDAC performing Physiochemical test on product that are brought in, lackwise scientific Officer (geoscience) in NNPC will work on soil samples. Record Management is everyone role, why you see them on system when they are not in the lab, they must do proper documentation on SAP or Microsoft NAV. People tend to judge when they are not in the system, some report to Public Health or Primary health department which are basically the sensitization and administration part of the job

1 Like

Re: Who Is A Scientific Officer In A Teaching Hospital by 1TenderTouch: 6:10am On Aug 03, 2023
I studied Pure and Applied Chemistry. Can a Chemist apply for this position in the hospital?
Re: Who Is A Scientific Officer In A Teaching Hospital by Edibleskit: 10:40am On Oct 15, 2023
1TenderTouch:
I studied Pure and Applied Chemistry. Can a Chemist apply for this position in the hospital?
Yes you can work in an hospital as a scientific officer (biochemistry) but depending your level of connection.

(1) (Reply)

Apply For Sahara Group Limited Fresh Job Recruitment (5 Positions) / Can One Settle Down With Teaching In A Private School / Do Not Expect Payment If You Are Yet To Complete Npower Physical Verification

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.