Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,834 members, 7,817,445 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:22 PM

Democracy Day: MKO Abiola’s Daughter, Hafsat, Sings Buhari’s Praises In Epic Poe - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Democracy Day: MKO Abiola’s Daughter, Hafsat, Sings Buhari’s Praises In Epic Poe (449 Views)

Buhari Praises Dangote, Elumelu, Atiku, Banks and Other For Donations / Senate Confirms Omolola Abiola-Edewor, MKO Abiola’s Daughter NDIC Director / Meet Waliyah Abiola, Daughter Of Late MKO Abiola, Who Is A Music Artiste (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Democracy Day: MKO Abiola’s Daughter, Hafsat, Sings Buhari’s Praises In Epic Poe by Atandakk: 7:16am On Jun 07, 2018
NewsmakersNG

By Hafsat Abiola-Costello/

Twenty five years after June 12: Our Long Wait for Justice is Ending

I had expected that the handover from military rule to democracy would be held on the 12th of June.

That would have signaled the completion of a circle that began with a dream deferred.

That became one fulfilled.

But I waited in vain.

The handover was set for May 29, a date pulled out of thin air, signifying nothing.

Then I thought that the chief beneficiary would ask the country to observe a minute of silence,

In memory of MKO, Kudirat, Alfred Rewane, Umaru Yar’Adua, Bagauda Kaltho, the thousands of students, the tens of journalists, traders and politicians who lost their lives fighting to actualise an unjustly annulled election.

Again, I waited in vain for he started his inauguration speech…

And nothing was said.

The first four years passed and it became clear that the goal was to erase the name of the man whose sacrifice paved the way for our democracy.

Those four years set the tone.

And I got tired of waiting

As it slowly became clear that to wait was to wait in vain.

I stopped expecting my country to do the right thing by my father and instead began to understand why Nigeria struggles to find patriots among its leaders.

Until today.

Today when President Muhammadu Buhari gave an executive order to declare that June 12 was Nigeria’s Democracy Day;
To confer on MKO the title of GCFR, an honour reserved for presidents of the Federal Republic of Nigeria;
To confer on Gani Fawehinmi, the dogged fighter for justice, and my father’s running mate, Babagana Kingibe, the title of GCON, the second highest in the land;
And in one day, demonstrated to my bruised heart that integrity, fairness, honour were alive and well in a country for which both my parents had sacrificed their lives.

There are no words that...http://www.newsmakersng.com/democracy-day-mko-abiolas-daughter-hafsat-sings-buharis-praises-in-epic-poem-condemns-obasanjo/
Re: Democracy Day: MKO Abiola’s Daughter, Hafsat, Sings Buhari’s Praises In Epic Poe by Baawaa(m): 7:23am On Jun 07, 2018
Obasanjo see your life for ground grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Baba ofo, Baba jatijati, Baba rederede Baba jagbajagba,Baba shaku-shaku grin grin grin
Re: Democracy Day: MKO Abiola’s Daughter, Hafsat, Sings Buhari’s Praises In Epic Poe by Nobody: 7:32am On Jun 07, 2018
Nice
Re: Democracy Day: MKO Abiola’s Daughter, Hafsat, Sings Buhari’s Praises In Epic Poe by seunmsg(m): 7:42am On Jun 07, 2018
This is very emotional. Whatever the motive, Buhari got this perfectly right. We should look beyond the motive and appreciate the justice that was done to the memory of MKO and Gani Fawehinmi. This is a great decision for Nigeria's democracy.

1 Like

Re: Democracy Day: MKO Abiola’s Daughter, Hafsat, Sings Buhari’s Praises In Epic Poe by chichar1(f): 8:03am On Jun 07, 2018
this news is meant for ZOMBIES!!!!!!!!!!!! as for me across the ocean I don't know who the hell is Abiola!!!!!!!!!! pls don't quote me!!!!!
Re: Democracy Day: MKO Abiola’s Daughter, Hafsat, Sings Buhari’s Praises In Epic Poe by limeta(f): 9:51am On Jun 07, 2018
What is all this

(1) (Reply)

We Are Re-strategi‎zing To End Kidnapping, Cattle Rustling – Buratai / The Real Truth About The Csws Of Cleaner Lagos / Sina Kawonise (SK) : A Possible Ogun Governor In 2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.