Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,332 members, 7,811,971 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:21 AM

Who Enlighten Me The Difference Between (com.ng) And (ng) - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Who Enlighten Me The Difference Between (com.ng) And (ng) (16954 Views)

General Advice On .com.ng And .ng Domains / Best .ng and .ng.com Registrar / How Do I Create Wordpress Affiliate And Reward System Like Nnu.ng And Wakanda.ng (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Enlighten Me The Difference Between (com.ng) And (ng) by Nobody: 7:39pm On Jun 07, 2018
I would like to know the difference between these two domains and is it's good to use (ng) than using (com)

What's is the big difference between these domains? #
Because if there is no big difference why are top companies using (com.ng)
Re: Who Enlighten Me The Difference Between (com.ng) And (ng) by yomalex(m): 8:36pm On Jun 07, 2018
Karahubs:
I would like to know the difference between these two domains and is it's good to use (ng) than using (com)

.ng is a top level domain while .com.ng is a second level domain. A top level domain is preferable.

Need a website/blog for your business, ecommerce, bulk sms site etc Whatsapp 080 5150 4392

8 Likes

Re: Who Enlighten Me The Difference Between (com.ng) And (ng) by kelvinnaira: 10:43pm On Jun 07, 2018
.Com.ng - commercial (can serve everyone) but built with nigerians in mind or as d main focus.

.ng - serving nigerians only

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Enlighten Me The Difference Between (com.ng) And (ng) by Nobody: 7:36am On Jun 08, 2018
Thanks for the brief explanation

2 Likes

Re: Who Enlighten Me The Difference Between (com.ng) And (ng) by nabegibeg: 7:04am On Jun 09, 2018
Karahubs:

sk google ooo
Re: Who Enlighten Me The Difference Between (com.ng) And (ng) by Nobody: 7:04am On Jun 09, 2018
Same... But .ng is more professional

1 Like

Re: Who Enlighten Me The Difference Between (com.ng) And (ng) by Alejoc(m): 7:05am On Jun 09, 2018
This topic should be in nairaland archive.... Has been discussed before but answer no dey my head shocked grin shocked grin
Re: Who Enlighten Me The Difference Between (com.ng) And (ng) by akeentech(m): 7:07am On Jun 09, 2018
CertifiedGuy:
Same... But .ng is more professional
Nice one

1 Like

Re: Who Enlighten Me The Difference Between (com.ng) And (ng) by lapo(m): 7:11am On Jun 09, 2018
.ng identifies a domain as absolutely Nigerian. Customers are confident they are relating with a Nigerian company. That's why registration is costlier. But. .com.ng is not limited to Nigeria.
Re: Who Enlighten Me The Difference Between (com.ng) And (ng) by DIYhackers: 7:25am On Jun 09, 2018
One is N500/bonus the other is N10,000

Check my signature to learn blogging
Re: Who Enlighten Me The Difference Between (com.ng) And (ng) by Cool83(m): 7:27am On Jun 09, 2018
quite educative
Re: Who Enlighten Me The Difference Between (com.ng) And (ng) by Donald3d(m): 7:29am On Jun 09, 2018
Nice
Technically there is really no difference and really no negative or positive effect in terms of SEO etc
Take Jumia for example, they use .com.ng did it affect their ranking or how "professional" they are ?
The issue between .com.ng and .ng is just like asking what the difference between buying a land and building a house in Sango(.com.ng) or Lekki(.ng).There is nothing special about Lekki, its just for "class" or percived "professionalism".
In conclusion its your content that matters and how well and beautiful you build your house(website) in terms of structure, SEO, layout etc.

I am organizing a training that would clear out doubts and enlighten folks that are always confused about a lot of things on blogging, it would help guide about blogging from the point of creating a blog, all the way to monetizing the blog check this thread link below, also check my signature :
https://www.nairaland.com/4549363/blogging-everything-single-thing-need

5 Likes

Re: Who Enlighten Me The Difference Between (com.ng) And (ng) by Donald3d(m): 7:30am On Jun 09, 2018
Sorry, double post

1 Like

Re: Who Enlighten Me The Difference Between (com.ng) And (ng) by thegloor: 7:37am On Jun 09, 2018
ok.

.com.ng a second level domain of a global brand targeting a country (in this case Nigeria). Google has .com.ng for Nigeria, .com.gh for Ghana etc

.ng - top level domain of a country, by a country, for a country. it personalize the domain and shows it's serving people from a particular country. techpoint is a good example.

4 Likes

Re: Who Enlighten Me The Difference Between (com.ng) And (ng) by BOLAJIAJANI(m): 7:41am On Jun 09, 2018
Well just like it has been mentioned above, .ng is a Nigerian country code Top Level Domain(ccTLD) managed by NIRA. Implication is, it is suitable for businesses(or stuffs) created for the Nigerian market(or people). On the other hand, .com.ng is a country code Second Level Domain(ccSLD) also managed by NIRA, it is also suitable for the Nigerian market.

Basically, people consider .ng domains and its other subs(e.g .org.ng, .com.ng) to have more authority for stuffs relating to Nigeria especially as far as search engines are concerned. However, some people believe even .ng has more authority than the second level-domain(e.g. .com.ng) but as far as I know that's not true. But I would take a .ng over .com.ng and you should probably do that as well except if cost is an issue.

Although, it is important to note that while .ng is more desirable for many obvious reasons like ease of remembrance, small length and all, .com.ng is more specific for commercial businesses and that is the major reason ccSLDs are created. .com.ng for commercial businesses, .org.ng for Non-profit organizations, edu.ng for educational institutions and what have you.

1 Like

Re: Who Enlighten Me The Difference Between (com.ng) And (ng) by fredpaul: 7:54am On Jun 09, 2018
They are both Top Level Domains. The only difference is that .ng is government owned and controlled by NIRA while .com.ng is owned by a private individual/organization. Anybody can buy and register a TLD if you have the funds.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Enlighten Me The Difference Between (com.ng) And (ng) by sirgalahad26(m): 8:41am On Jun 09, 2018
Donald3d:
Sorry, double post
and what about ..com
Re: Who Enlighten Me The Difference Between (com.ng) And (ng) by Nobody: 8:44am On Jun 09, 2018
Donald3d:
Nice
Technically there is really no difference and really no negative or positive effect in terms of SEO etc
Take Jumia for example, they use .com.ng did it affect their ranking or how "professional" they are ?
The issue between .com.ng and .ng is just like asking what the difference between buying a land and building a house in Sango(.com.ng) or Lekki(.ng).There is nothing special about Lekki, its just for "class" or percived "professionalism".
In conclusion its your content that matters and how well and beautiful you build your house(website) in terms of structure, SEO, layout etc.

I am organizing a training that would clear out doubts and enlighten folks that are always confused about a lot of things on blogging, it would help guide about blogging from the point of creating a blog, all the way to monetizing the blog check this thread link below, also check my signature :

There are differences depending on the main objective of the website or blog.

Jumia is an e-commerce platform with main focus on Nigeria (.com.ng).

Google is a search engine portal who want to serve its users revelant search results based on location and revelance. E.G if you search for "how to plan a wedding" if you get results from pages in America, and you're planning for wedding in Sango Otta, would you say all the information you get from the America page is relevant to your location.

Now the basic rule, if you're a blog stick to .com for your web traffic across board without any limitations, if you wanna start an e-commerce website with major focus on Nigeria, you can go for .com.ng or .ng just know that you will only get search traffic from people that search for your keywords locally.

And please if you ever thought of doing Drop shipping never make the mistake of using .com.ng or .Ng

There is a world of difference between .com, .com.ng and .ng but your market focus would dictate the perfect choice.

Cheers

3 Likes

Re: Who Enlighten Me The Difference Between (com.ng) And (ng) by Donald3d(m): 8:49am On Jun 09, 2018
TheCar:

There are differences depending on the main objective of the website or blog.

Jumia is an e-commerce platform with main focus on Nigeria (.com.ng).

Google is a search engine portal who want to serve its users revelant search results based on location and revelance. E.G if you search for "how to plan a wedding" if you get results from pages in America, and you're planning for wedding in Sango Otta, would you say all the information you get from the America page is relevant to your location.

Now the basic rule, if you're a blog stick to .com for your web traffic across board without any limitations, if you wanna start an e-commerce website with major focus on Nigeria, you can go for .com.ng or .ng just know that you will only get search traffic from people that search for your keywords locally.

And please if you ever thought of doing Drop shipping never make the mistake of using .com.ng or .Ng

There is a world of difference between .com, .com.ng and .ng but your market focus would dictate the perfect choice.

Cheers
He didn't ask for difference between .com and .com.ng
he asked for difference between .com.ng and .ng
Re: Who Enlighten Me The Difference Between (com.ng) And (ng) by Nobody: 8:55am On Jun 09, 2018
.NG is a god sent to webmasters if not for the insane price.

Kissi.ng
Farti.ng shocked
drivi.ng
divi.ng
Screwi.ng (Carpentry, you sickos) sad
Boxi.ng
Licki.ng
Feedi.ng

I give up.

2 Likes

Re: Who Enlighten Me The Difference Between (com.ng) And (ng) by Nobody: 9:04am On Jun 09, 2018
Donald3d:

He didn't ask for difference between .com and .com.ng
he asked for difference between .com.ng and .ng

Maybe the op can clarify better.

Title was about .com.ng and .ng

Comments was about .com, .ng and .com.ng

Re: Who Enlighten Me The Difference Between (com.ng) And (ng) by Itzogunsakin(m): 9:09am On Jun 09, 2018
I see no difference. But your posts may not show in Global search in Google search but show only to Nigerian audience.

I have UK adsense for sale at a very cheap price. Contact me on my signature or on WhatsApp with 090-6417604-2
Re: Who Enlighten Me The Difference Between (com.ng) And (ng) by Nobody: 9:11am On Jun 09, 2018
EgunMogaji:
.NG is a god sent to webmasters if not for the insane price.

Kissi.ng
Farti.ng shocked
drivi.ng
divi.ng
Screwi.ng (Carpentry, you sickos) sad
Boxi.ng
Licki.ng
Feedi.ng

I give up.

Don't mind NIRA people with the exorbitant price tag on .ng and there unnecessary conditions.

Some juicy domain names were reserved and some were hijacked after registration.

.ng would have being a global accepted domain name like .me .co etc but there is always a Nigeria factor in almost everything done in Nigeria.
Re: Who Enlighten Me The Difference Between (com.ng) And (ng) by opalu: 9:43am On Jun 09, 2018
Good
Re: Who Enlighten Me The Difference Between (com.ng) And (ng) by Viktor1983(m): 9:44am On Jun 09, 2018
Still waiting for nira to cut down . Ng to like N5000. Until then I'm sticking with the simple and wonderful .com
Re: Who Enlighten Me The Difference Between (com.ng) And (ng) by ewizard1: 10:15am On Jun 09, 2018
Prefer ".com.ng" anytime as my services are not limited to Nigerians only!
Re: Who Enlighten Me The Difference Between (com.ng) And (ng) by Nobody: 10:35am On Jun 09, 2018
ewizard1:
Prefer ".com.ng" anytime as my services are not limited to Nigerians only!

The only advantage .com.ng has over .com is the price.
You can get a .com.ng for as low as 1k and .com is minimum 4k.

Also what are your services exactly?

Also please give us a comparison with a major compititor in your industry using .com

Let us do a global comparison between you using a .com.ng and them using .com to see if truly you have the advantage using .com.ng targeting audiences outside Nigeria.
Re: Who Enlighten Me The Difference Between (com.ng) And (ng) by HigherEd: 11:10am On Jun 09, 2018
Donald3d:
Nice

Hey Donald what about .com. Is .com OK for a website with a focus for Nigerian customers?
Re: Who Enlighten Me The Difference Between (com.ng) And (ng) by Donald3d(m): 11:22am On Jun 09, 2018
HigherEd:

Hey Donald what about .com. Is .com OK for a website with a focus for Nigerian customers?
.com is fine
Re: Who Enlighten Me The Difference Between (com.ng) And (ng) by CodeTemplar: 11:59am On Jun 09, 2018
HigherEd:

.com is very OK. .ng is just an extension within .com .
.com.ng is there to help create new possibilities in terms of domain names. Just like company names. there can be a jumia worldwide with jumia.com domain name and there can be a jumia Nigeria which has a . Going back to your question, .com for a Nigerian site is equally as good as .com.ng but it doesn't hint a novice looking at the site name it could be associated with Nigeria.
Nairaland is a cold example. It has .com domain but focuses on Nigeria.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Help, My Xampp Is Not Showing My Projects On Localhost / Nigerian Online Ventures That Are Offshoots Of Nairaland / Wikipedia’s Most Popular Articles Of 2023

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.