Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,124 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:40 PM

BREAKING: "How Can You Honour Abiola And Still Honour Abacha" - Soyinka LIVE - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / BREAKING: "How Can You Honour Abiola And Still Honour Abacha" - Soyinka LIVE (2594 Views)

Can You Identify MKO Abiola And Obasanjo In This Throwback Photo? / Throwback Photo Of MKO Abiola And Obasanjo In Secondary School / This 12 Pictures Will Make You Honour May30th Biafra Heroes Day And Sit-at-home (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BREAKING: "How Can You Honour Abiola And Still Honour Abacha" - Soyinka LIVE by Nobody: 2:53pm On Jun 12, 2018
I knew that man was not happy at all with the look on his face...he didn't even clap whenever they praise Buhari

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: "How Can You Honour Abiola And Still Honour Abacha" - Soyinka LIVE by sunsewa16: 3:19pm On Jun 12, 2018
wole soyinka old self re-incarnate, kudos to him

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: "How Can You Honour Abiola And Still Honour Abacha" - Soyinka LIVE by ofai: 3:21pm On Jun 12, 2018
I know there are still sane Yorubas who arent fooled by buharis moves. Thank you wole Soyinka.
Re: BREAKING: "How Can You Honour Abiola And Still Honour Abacha" - Soyinka LIVE by lanaVello(m): 4:02pm On Jun 12, 2018
I thought it was IBB that tormented MKO tho
Re: BREAKING: "How Can You Honour Abiola And Still Honour Abacha" - Soyinka LIVE by Babacele: 6:52pm On Jun 12, 2018
lanaVello:
I thought it was IBB that tormented MKO tho
Yes and No. Yes because he started the psychological torment by annulling the election in the first place and tactically paved way for the bull into the Nigerian China shop in the person of Abacha after deliberatly compromising the elite class including kings except a few like the then Oba of Benin and the Awujale of Ijebu whom MKO himself publicly eulogized for disagreeing to join IBB in his ignoble venture. Abacha later took over and put Abiola in jail for declaring himself President. So many lost their lives ,health ,freedom and resources while engaging Abacha. But Abacha kept MKO alive until Abacha died in 1997 for IBB cousin or whatever Abdusalami to take over and finished the last phase of IBB's mess - the annihilation of MKO with the intention of killing June 12 and its spirit - a culture which subsequent PDP government has tried to sustain until the PMB declaration few days ago which has woken the spirit nationally no matter how belated. Caught in between IBB and Abacha - under whom he found his voice as PTF chairman after several years of being incarcerated literarily and physically by the same anti June 12 forces in the person of Ibrahim badamosi Babangida who never forgave Mamman Vatsa,ironically his best man, for casting the decisive vote for PMB to emerge as the C in C after the coup that oust Shagari- is Muhammadu Buhari.
Soyinka and other human rights activists including Bola Tinubu had narrowly escaped overseas from Abacha's onslaught to launch the long fight for the reclamation of the June 12 mandate.
It is a difficult situation for a Muhammadu Buhari who might have voted for MKO for I can tell you he wouldn't have voted for IBB in the person of Bashir Tofa. It is pertinent to point out here that Soyinka must not throw away the baby with the bathwater of Buhari's indiscretion of praising Sani Abacha publicly. Soyinka was once in this difficult position PMB presently found himself - a position of being in between two evils and where you just have to choose one: the lesser one.

While celebrating his Nobel laureate in 1985, Dele Giwa was 'silenced 'by drug barons in power who had overthrown Buhari and Idiagbon who were planning to deal with the drugs lords in the then military who later annulled June 12 several years later. Dele Giwa's death was so painful that it left ' ashes in our mouths' according to Kongi himself who later served under IBB to birth a beautiful baby now a lovely Lady - The FRSC. Who would have thought that a Soyinka- Fela's cousin would have served under IBB after the Dele Giwa experience? But Soyinka chose to serve Nigerians rather than the emperor from Minna- at least we believe him. And I m giving PMB that benefit tonight.

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: "How Can You Honour Abiola And Still Honour Abacha" - Soyinka LIVE by lanaVello(m): 7:39pm On Jun 12, 2018
@babacele, thanks for the apt explanation.
I saw this picture and was like funny how times change and loyalties shift

Re: BREAKING: "How Can You Honour Abiola And Still Honour Abacha" - Soyinka LIVE by Babacele: 7:58pm On Jun 12, 2018
lanaVello:
@babacele, thanks for the apt explanation.
I saw this picture and was like funny how times change and loyalties shift
IBB knew what he was doing by paving way for Abacha. Don't forget Abacha wouldn't have been so emboldened if IBB had done the right thing. IBB worked tirelessly to make sure Abacha finished what he had started by frustrating the June 12 mandate. But posterity is now using the same Abacha energy which revived a dying Muhammadu Buhari earlier destabilized by the same IBB to right the wrongs of the annulment. It is funny how MKO some years before the picture had saved the life of Abacha . Legend has it that Sani Abacha had been referred overseas to treat a life threatening ailment but no money until the news got to MKO who large heartedly paid for the trip sparing the life of a would be future tormentor. ...hmmm life, person no dey know finish.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Question For The People Of Biafra / FG Approved Ruga Settlement For Herdsmen In All States / Northerners Regret Buhari Over Sanusi Dethronement

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.