Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,526 members, 7,823,285 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:06 AM

Is Deception A Sin? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Deception A Sin? (3996 Views)

The Deception Of Malachi 3:10-11 "Devourer" And "Storehouse" EXPOSED / Pastor Chris Oyakhilome- self-service Is Not A Sin. / Is Fornication Really A Sin? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Deception A Sin? by Nobody: 11:28am On Jun 02, 2010
Hi pals, i want to know if deception is a sin. is deceiving any person by any means a sin? share your views lets begin from there.
Re: Is Deception A Sin? by Missybabe(f): 11:32am On Jun 02, 2010
I think it is bad, may be not a sin entirely but it just isn't good.  undecided grin

Re: Is Deception A Sin? by Nobody: 11:38am On Jun 02, 2010
hey missy welcome.
Re: Is Deception A Sin? by makajibbz(m): 11:59am On Jun 02, 2010
only if you fall for it,
Re: Is Deception A Sin? by OLULAW: 5:33pm On Jun 02, 2010
In the Book of Genesis Abram used deception at least on two separate occasions, vis-à-vis, in Egypt during his encounter with Pharaoh and his men (Genesis 12:10-20), and in Gerar when he encountered Abimelech, the King of Gerar (Genesis 20:1-18). In both cases, Abram deployed deception with a view to averting potential threats to his life. Quite clearly, Sarah was Abram’s half-sister. Nonetheless, the reality was she was also his wife. The half-truth to be declared when Abram was asked to reveal Sarah’s identity was to go down the route of “she’s my sister.” Conversely, the whole truth was “she’s my wife.”  Opting for the former ostensibly prevented Abram from being killed ("There is surely no fear of God in this place, and they will kill me because of my wife"wink. One could also argue that Abram could have told the truth and still be spared by God so as to enable Him fulfilled the promises he made to Abram. But Abram, the father of faith chose to lie and God still fulfil his promises in his life: this is really the polemic aspect of this phenomenon of deception in the Bible.

However, the fact that on both occasions Sarah became a concubine of Pharaoh and Abimelech, albeit for temporary periods, meant that God’s promises to make Abraham in Genesis 12: 2-3 ("I will make you into a great nation and I will bless you; I will make your name great, and you will be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you"wink would not have come to pass. This is because, if (and it’s a BIG if) Pharaoh seized the moment and had carnal knowledge of Sarah (we really don’t know if he actually did, the bible only says, “when Pharaoh's officials saw her, they praised her to Pharaoh, and she was taken into his palace” (Genesis 12:15), God’s promise to Abram wouldn’t have come to fruition. Indisputably, Abimelech didn’t have carnal knowledge of Sarah because the bible affirms, "But God came to Abimelech in a dream one night and said to him, 'You are as good as dead because of the woman you have taken; she is a married woman.' Now Abimelech had not gone near her, so he said, 'Lord, will you destroy an innocent nation? Did he not say to me, "She is my sister," and didn't she also say, "He is my brother"? I have done this with a clear conscience and clean hands.' Then God said to him in the dream, 'Yes, I know you did this with a clear conscience, and so I have kept you from sinning against me. That is why I did not let you touch her'" (20:3-6).

On balance, abstaining from deception could have led to Abraham’s sudden death, preventing God’s promises from coming into fruition (Abraham could simply have been killed in order for Pharaoh/ Abimelech to permanently take Sarah). Conversely, using deception could have thwarted God’s promises to Abram (Sara could simply have become pregnant for King Pharaoh). Whether or not deception is a sin is as tricky as the phenomenon of trickery itself, extensively used in biblical narratives. Nonetheless, it is, in ethical and moral terms, inappropriate!
Re: Is Deception A Sin? by Jenwitemi(m): 5:35pm On Jun 02, 2010
babaearly:

Hi pals, i want to know if deception is a sin. is deceiving any person by any means a sin? share your views lets begin from there.
It is not a sin to offer deception, but it is a sin to fall for one. To be a mugu is a sin, therefore.
Re: Is Deception A Sin? by Nobody: 9:51pm On Jun 02, 2010
OLULAW:

Whether or not deception is a sin is as tricky as the phenomenon of trickery itself, extensively used in biblical narratives. Nonetheless, it is, in ethical and moral terms, inappropriate!

I cant remember the verse now when God sent a lying spirit among some prophets. If you remember ,was that inapropriate?
Re: Is Deception A Sin? by nuclearboy(m): 10:32pm On Jun 02, 2010
Deception is lying. So re-phrase your question - is lying a sin?
Re: Is Deception A Sin? by Nobody: 11:11pm On Jun 02, 2010
Does God Deceive People? Ezekiel 14:9?
2Thessalonians 2:11-12, where it says God "shall send , strong delusion, , that they all might be damned who believed not the truth".

Or perhaps of the book of Isaiah, chapter 6 verse 10, (which Jesus quotes in John 12), where he describes how "God has blinded their eyes and deadened their hearts". (NIV translation)

Does God Sometimes Deceive People? - Ezekiel 14:9

There are many truths found in the Holy Scriptures that many present day Christians find unpalatable. Most Christians today do not read their Bibles, so they don't come across these truths, and the modern versions are doing their best to hide them, if one should stumble upon them in God's word. Such is the case with Ezekiel 14:9.

The context is clearly about a false prophet and the person who comes to him. Beginning at Ezekiel 14:7 we read: "For everyone of the house of Israel, or of the stranger that sojourneth in Israel, which separateth himself from me, and setteth up his idols in his heart, and putteth the stumblingblock of his iniquity before his face, and cometh to a prophet to enquire of him concerning me; I the LORD will answer him by myself; And I will set my face against that man, and will make him a sign and a proverb, and I will cut him off from the midst of my people; and ye shall know that I am the LORD. And IF THE PROPHET BE DECEIVED when he hath spoken a thing, I the LORD HAVE DECEIVED that prophet, and I will stretch out my hand upon him, and will destroy him from the midst of my people Israel. And they shall bear the punishment of their iniquity; the punishment of the prophet shall be even as the punishment of him that seeketh unto him." (Eze. 14:7-11)

God does deceive. 2 Thessalonians 2:11 tells of those who received not the love of the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness and "for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie."

Isaiah 29:10

"For the LORD hath poured out upon you the spirit of deep sleep, and hath closed your eyes; the prophets and your rulers, the seers hath he covered."

Matthew 11:25-26

"At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because THOU HAST HID THESE THINGS from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes. Even so, Father: for so it seemed good in thy sight."

John 12:37-40

"But though he had done so many miracles before them, yet they believed not on him: That the saying of Esaias the prophet might be fulfilled, which he spake, Lord, who hath believed our report? and to whom hath the arm of the Lord been revealed?

Therefore THEY COULD NOT BELIEVE, BECAUSE that Esaias said again, HE HATH BLINDED THEIR EYES, and HARDENED THEIR HEART; that they should not see with their eyes, nor understand with their heart, and be converted, and I should heal them."

Isaiah 63:17

"O LORD, why hast thou made us to err from thy ways, and hardened our heart from thy fear? Return for thy servants' sake, the tribes of thine inheritance."

In 1 Kings 22:19-23 the LORD was sitting on his throne and all the host of heaven were about Him. He asked who shall persuade Ahab that he may go up and fall at Ramothgilead. A spirit volunteered to go forth and be a lying spirit in the mouth of his prophets. "Now therefore, behold, the LORD hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of all these thy prophets."

Job 12:16 tells us "the deceived and the deceiver are his."

Here in Ezekiel 14:9 the phrase "If the prophet be DECEIVED when he hath spoken a thing, I THE LORD HAVE DECEIVED that prophet" is the same in the Geneva Bible 1599, Coverdale 1535, Bishop's Bible 1568, the Revised Version 1881, the ASV 1901, the RSV, NRSV, the 2001 ESV, Green's interlinear, the 1936 Hebrew-English translation put out by the Hebrew Publishing Company, New York, the Catholic Douay Version 1950, the St. Joseph New American Bible 1970, Bible in Basic English 1961, the Spanish Reina Valera 1960, the KJV 21st Century, the Itlalian Diodati, the Greek Septuagint, Lamsa's 1933 translation of the Syriac Peshitta, and the 2003 Holman Standard Version.

The NIV departs the least from the true reading with its "if the prophet is ENTICED to utter a prophecy, I the LORD have ENTICED that prophet."

The NKJV changes the whole meaning with: "if the prophet IS INDUCED TO SPEAK anything, I the LORD have INDUCED that prophet."

The NASB basically agrees with the NKJV saying: "if the prophet IS PREVAILED UPON to speak a word, it is I , the LORD, who have PREVAILED UPON that prophet."

Both the NKJV and NASB obliterate the sense of God's deceiving this prophet, and have blandly substituted the idea of God merely moving upon him to cause him to speak.

With the NIV, we could well ask: With what did God entice the prophet? It doesn't hint at any incentive given, or temptation offered. Rather, the prophet is deceived by God as well as the man who comes to him because they have separated themselves from the LORD and set up their id

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100328113738AAlzEjJ
Re: Is Deception A Sin? by Nobody: 9:44pm On Jun 04, 2010
@op if i had to deceive u to obtain from u,then i have sinned. save gor exceptional cases like that of Abraham.
Re: Is Deception A Sin? by helenk579: 10:57am On Jun 07, 2010
I think it is bad, may be not a sin entirely but it just isn't good.
I also think so.

(1) (Reply)

Killing Children Is Bible Miracle! / The Challenges Faced By Muslims Turned Atheist / Jim Bakker To Christians: You Must Love Trump To Prove You're 'Saved'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.