Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,532 members, 7,823,316 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:35 AM

Should I Resign From My Current P.P.A? - NYSC (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Should I Resign From My Current P.P.A? (18922 Views)

Should I Continue With My Current PPA Or Change It / How Do I Make My Current Job Place My Ppa / NYSC Allawee For All States In Nigeria 2018 (current) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Resign From My Current P.P.A? by Centcanada: 8:03am On Jun 15, 2018
The misery about life is this: Not what you want temporary that matter but what God wants you to be everlastingly remain the main thing. Stay where you are and you will know what the Lord has in store for you. Profession or no profession, you love teaching or not, it never matter. There is no work in this country and who knows if with time, the NGO will become big and you occupy a very mighty position, what will you now say? Patience.
Re: Should I Resign From My Current P.P.A? by Lexusgs430: 8:03am On Jun 15, 2018
I would not normally do this, but considering the fact that you want to impact our young one's......

Summit - What North Korea vs Trump had
Submit - Tender
Re: Should I Resign From My Current P.P.A? by saintneo(m): 8:04am On Jun 15, 2018
Negotiate with your employer on your interest in teaching. NGOs should be able to allow such an opportunity, it also increases their profile and yours. Be discreet though.
CsRockefeller:
Good evening everyone, pls i really need your advice on this issue.

I was posted to an NGO for my service year in February, they got me a house without pay. In April we had a project on HIV and AIDS and I was paid 20k. Ever since, I just go to work and sit down from morning 8am till 5pm doing nothing, I started and finished Game of Thrones from 1 to 7.

Before I was posted in camp I always dreamt of teaching in a secondary school, because that's were my passion is and, I have an ambition of being a lecturer.

Now, I recently saw a school were I can teach for twice in a week, but my current ppa closes by 5pm, which means I only have my cds on Wednesday free to teach, I have taught twice, and I really love it and want to continue.

The problem is how do I tell my Director at my NGO that I want to leave? He has been good and nice to me and they rely on me to do a lot of clerical work in the office, but inside of me I'm not fulfilled and don't have time for myself.

Its 6 months into my service and I'm not feeling like I'm impacting any live or my community.

I want to summit my resignation letter by the end of the month, and focus on my students especially in economics and accounting, if I leave I will also leave their accommodation, that means I will be coming twice a week from my uncle's house which is far (N500) daily to the school.

I've been praying about this for a month now, and even discussed it with my mum with her giving me her blessings to leave, today my Director during a meeting said teaching profession is the best ever, I was wondering if that's a sign, and I'm also planning on visiting my grandma in August when schools are on break, an opportunity my NGO won't give me.

Guys, what's ur take?
Leave or stay?
Re: Should I Resign From My Current P.P.A? by OluwaWizzy(m): 8:04am On Jun 15, 2018
Bro!
I understand the situation here but instead of quitting from the NGO. you could discuss with the NGO mgt then arrange on how you could teach in any school closer to the NGO locality on part time basis even if the school won't pay you, if I didn't misunderstood you; you rightly said you're passionate about teaching.. grin
Re: Should I Resign From My Current P.P.A? by Lexusgs430: 8:04am On Jun 15, 2018
CsRockefeller:

I was posted to an NGO for my service year in February, they got me a house without pay. In April we had a project on HIV and AIDS and I was paid 20k. Ever since, I just go to work and sit down from morning 8am till 5pm doing nothing, I started and finished Game of Thrones from 1 to 7.

Before I was posted in camp I always dreamt of teaching in a secondary school, because that's were my passion is and, I have an ambition of being a lecturer.

Now, I recently saw a school were I can teach for twice in a week, but my current ppa closes by 5pm, which means I only have my cds on Wednesday free to teach, I have taught twice, and I really love it and want to continue.

The problem is how do I tell my Director at my NGO that I want to leave? He has been good and nice to me and they rely on me to do a lot of clerical work in the office, but inside of me I'm not fulfilled and don't have time for myself.

Its 6 months into my service and I'm not feeling like I'm impacting any live or my community.

I want to summit my resignation letter by the end of the month, and focus on my students especially in economics and accounting, if I leave I will also leave their accommodation, that means I will be coming twice a week from my uncle's house which is far (N500) daily to the school.

I've been praying about this for a month now, and even discussed it with my mum with her giving me her blessings to leave, today my Director during a meeting said teaching profession is the best ever, I was wondering if that's a sign, and I'm also planning on visiting my grandma in August when schools are on break, an opportunity my NGO won't give me.

Guys, what's ur take?
Leave or stay?

Stay enjoy your time and proceed to teaching when you are done.......
Re: Should I Resign From My Current P.P.A? by autonomous22: 8:05am On Jun 15, 2018
If ur current PPA has another Corp member that can take ur position if u leave, then approach them they will let you go. But if they don't, then there is nothing u come do about it.... And forcing ur self to leave might be disastrous to u...

The same thing happened to me but I was lucky they freed me.
Re: Should I Resign From My Current P.P.A? by victorVIC1(m): 8:06am On Jun 15, 2018
I would suggest you continue working in the NGO as you can always coin the Job Description to boost your profile on your CV. That would further enhance your employability when you're through with service

1 Like

Re: Should I Resign From My Current P.P.A? by valentineuwakwe(m): 8:08am On Jun 15, 2018
I can see you are not focus, you have too many things on your mind. . .why not go step by step. . .first its almost 6 months, and the nysc thing will be over soon. . .instead of resigning why not talk to your director to gov u another off on Fridays so as to teach in that school of passion u have. . .besides, compare the school pay and that of the NGO. . .the NYSC is about making money n saving o...forget about the passion thing or that your parent have money. . .
so my dear, stay on the NGO thing if your director refuse the extra day. . .after it, enrol for ur masters, then still find a place to teach n sharpen ur skills before the lecturing job comes. . .cheers
Re: Should I Resign From My Current P.P.A? by debolayinka(m): 8:09am On Jun 15, 2018
Talk to your employer. He can spare you one more day apart from your CDS day.
Re: Should I Resign From My Current P.P.A? by AtoyebiTaiwo(m): 8:09am On Jun 15, 2018
Good morning, you don't need to leave your present PPA, During my service year, I served in Bauchi state, Toro LG. I was posted to a day secondary school, the school open by 12:30pm closed by 5pm. I applied to teach civic education at a nearby by Sch without leaving my PPA. I was given a room at coper's Lodge as well at my PPA. My advice for you is this: Talk to your present boss and explain to him, find out from the school you wish to teach the days you have class, sit your boss down and let him see reasons why you need to impact knowledge on student. He will allow you to teach and add value to your live and others. Don't resign from your present PPA since you have spent 6months already. Remain bless.

1 Like

Re: Should I Resign From My Current P.P.A? by Chommieblaq(f): 8:09am On Jun 15, 2018
Who even told you, you can resign from your ppa?
You can't resign except they reject you, then you go through the process of getting a request letter from the school before you will be posted there.

Guy stay put, just ask for friday off add to your cds day , teach on those days.
If he's a nice man like you said, he will give in. Don't burn bridges, you might need that man tomorrow.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Resign From My Current P.P.A? by omusiliyu(m): 8:10am On Jun 15, 2018
buttlover:
Hope you are not eyeing those secondary school girls.
Some people are mad
Re: Should I Resign From My Current P.P.A? by Sterope(f): 8:11am On Jun 15, 2018
Your director may be nice but you need to think about yourself. They should get a clerical officer if they needed one. You are a graduate, you need to put your education into better use. Explain to the director before you go ahead to resign but don't give him. Uou can start wih your passion fot teaching. You can still use the NGO in your CV. It will come in handy. Best of luck!

CsRockefeller:

Leave or stay?
Re: Should I Resign From My Current P.P.A? by wiloy2k8(m): 8:11am On Jun 15, 2018
Talk to your employer, he might give you the best option ... if he listens to you and he is good to you just talk to him.

Btw you still gonna leave when you complete your servixe year .
Re: Should I Resign From My Current P.P.A? by orobs93(m): 8:15am On Jun 15, 2018
buttlover:

you are not far from the truth
Re: Should I Resign From My Current P.P.A? by ETHIX(m): 8:21am On Jun 15, 2018
CsRockefeller:

Guys, what's ur take?
Leave or stay?

Op please think about it well oooo. Any profession you choose should be able to cater for Ur own needs financially. Cos if u don't see it that way now with time Ur eyes will be clear.

You will marry and have children and if Ur profession cannot cater for them hmmmmmm

Please OP if I can secure u a job with 4m per annum will you reject it for Ur teaching career ?

1 Like

Re: Should I Resign From My Current P.P.A? by Kobicove(m): 8:24am On Jun 15, 2018
CsRockefeller:

Those two statements I highlighted in your post are contradictory undecided
Re: Should I Resign From My Current P.P.A? by milemimi93(m): 8:27am On Jun 15, 2018
CsRockefeller:

Guys, what's ur take?
Leave or stay?

Guy don't leave that NGO. You never can tell what God has in stock for you there.

Tell your employer that he should give you a day off excluding your CDS day that you want to use that day to develop yourself (learn a skill).
You may tell him you registered for SAED and that your SAED day falls on a particular day and when you make him see reasons with you, he will give you those days (CDS & SAED days) off.

1 Like

Re: Should I Resign From My Current P.P.A? by Shezkid: 8:30am On Jun 15, 2018
Re: Should I Resign From My Current P.P.A? by Bigval5: 8:32am On Jun 15, 2018
Chommieblaq:
Who even told you, you can resign from your ppa?
You can't resign except they reject you, then you go through the process of getting a request letter from the school before you will be posted there.

Guy stay put, just ask for friday off add to your cds day , teach on those days.
If he's a nice man like you said, he will give in. Don't burn bridges, you might need that man tomorrow.

I love you smiley
Re: Should I Resign From My Current P.P.A? by twosquare(m): 8:40am On Jun 15, 2018
@CsRockefeller, you dey look for wetin no lost. You have a free time that you ought to put to good use. My advice? Stay put where you are. The amount of time you have at your disposal should be used for:

1) Research.... Since you said you desire to be a lecturer. Have you started researching where you want to do your postgraduate studies? If it's abroad, shouldn't you start at this free time on what to do, perhaps scholarship abroad and what to put in place? Being in a high school, and teaching doesn't even bring you close. Right now, you need your PhD to at least lecture. Start learning the process to have an hitch-free PG year.

2) Business: If you are planning to do your studies in Nigeria or abroad, think about what you will use to sustain yourself, except you're from a wealthy family. The probability of getting a job outside NYSC is low. The earlier you start researching online on what business to do, the better for you. There are a lot of online business there you can do and use your free time for. Either virtual or physical, start now.

3) Invest in your future: I know teaching in that school is part of investing in one's future, as pertaining to the career line you desire. However, it's good to relax too with entertainment, but watching season films from 1-7 shows how bereft of ideas you are concerning what can bring you money while still serving NYSC. I know some corp members who became millionaires doing side hustle during their service year. Most don't even have the spare time you've got on your hand. Don't waste your time going to a high school. God actually gave you a good gift to prepare yourself and you are wasting it away. Think again. Think.

1 Like

Re: Should I Resign From My Current P.P.A? by freeman67: 8:49am On Jun 15, 2018
As someone earlier pointed out.. Place of Primary Assignment PPA is not like a job where you would say you can resign at will. The two ways you can go about are ;
1. You have to negotiate with you boss Notwithstanding the fact that he already gave someone permission to do what she loves.. That someone is not you. So when you put in your own request it should be considered from the point of view that you do not have enough work/challenge.. At least granting you permission would still afford you the opportunity to be in their accommodation and when he has serious work he will notify you to take permission from the sch you teach and concentrate. Mind you, staying with your Uncle may later not be as smooth as you assumed.

2. You can go back to the NYSC office and request for a change of PPA... The hardest part of changing a PPA is finding a suitable place that is willing to accept a corps member and the terms and conditions will be suitable for all on one hand and the present place willing to let the corps member go on the order hand. You can try to convince them at the NYSC office to repost you from there and probably repost another corps member that needs accommodation back to them.
Re: Should I Resign From My Current P.P.A? by Bluehill1051: 8:58am On Jun 15, 2018
Aaaahhh I hate the fact that there's a closing time and an opening time.
Whr I'm currently serving is a secondary school and the best part of it is that no one really cares what you do. Just be jovial n free with everyone. Even the so-called teachers themselves don't even have time for the students.
Now I looked for opportunity. I got myself busy with extra lessons. Whr I work 2pm to 6pm Mon to Fri for a pay of 35k/month.
The school gave me a very decent accommodation with water in it.
Nna ehn, u better resign from that cage and enter street. Your money dy street.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Resign From My Current P.P.A? by qanda: 9:03am On Jun 15, 2018
Dear Ajuwaya,
Your Service year will be one of the ‘shortest’ one year span you’d experience in your lifetime. How you spend it can make or mar you. I have long desired writing this piece but kept putting it till another day until my recent visit to the Lagos State NYSC Secretariat. I was there to distribute Q and A App flyers, with an intent to make them aware of an App that makes sourcing of Job Test and Professional Exams Questions and Answers seamless.

I was taken aback by the attitude of a majority of the Corp members. They lacked a sense of curiosity and behaved as if wearing the NYSC Khaki qualified them as the Grand Commander of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. I must not forget to commend a few who received the flyer, read it and thanked me for the information.

In my opinion, your service year is as important as the time you spent acquiring tertiary education. It offers you an opportunity to acquire life skills and the experience you’d need to run your private or future employers business. Do not be like the unwise Corp members who think service year is all about FUN, a time to see movies without any moderation and time to party hard.

Primarily, your service year affords you an opportunity to add value to yourself and your host community, particularly your Place of Primary Assignment (PPA). Summarily, it provides you 12 months to figure out your next steps, setting the stage for you to chase your dreams.

Find below accounts of individuals that made the most of their Service Year, the names used are not real names.

Yusuf, an Electrical Engineering graduate developed interest in coding and spent his service year studying coding and Android App development. He continued learning coding after his service year. His opportunity came when he was shortlisted for an interview with a leading Software development company. He impressed at the interview and got an offer. Today, he is a Senior Software developer with one of Nigeria’s most reputed Software Company.

Segun spent his service year promoting Computer Education. He pioneered the first Computer room at his PPA and succeeded in training 40 students on how to use Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Internet Browsers.

His activities earned him the Local Government Chairman’s Merit Award and a good reputation at his PPA. His NYSC exploits was a great asset to him at Job interviews. The account of how he spent his service year literally blows his interviewers away and makes him seem like the ideal staff they seek.

Nneka spent her NYSC year to learn dress making. She also enrolled with a hair making and beauty shop. She now runs her own business as a fashion designer and Beauty consultant.

John studied and sat for National Institute of Management exams. He saved some money with which he obtained MSc form from the University of Ibadan. He was able to save for his first Semester tuition from income earned as a private tutor to some of the students at his PPA.

All the accounts given above are real life stories. I hope they motivate you to ACT. I am not asking you to tow their path. I am advising you to be intentional about making your Service year Count. Make it one of the best years of your life.

Don’t wait until you complete your service year before learning how to prepare a Curriculum Vitae and Cover Letter. Add value by attending relevant Seminars and Workshops. Volunteer to serve at events that will offer you valuable experience. Get involved in Community development projects and sharpen your networking skills.

I hope you find this heart to heart advice useful. Permit me to introduce Q and A App, it is specially built for you. Source Job Test Study materials and Professional Exams Questions and Answers on the App. Q and A is available for Download on Google Playstore

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Resign From My Current P.P.A? by Nobody: 9:06am On Jun 15, 2018
mbahjohnpaul:
Let me advice u bro, people do voluntary work for 2 yrs just to get NGO experience. Kindly complete ur service year with d NGO.. U might get employed..

Like this man said...'you might get employed'.

Are you craving to be noticed by sch girls or craving to get a job at the end of the day?

You want to become a teacher...! The last time I checked,most teachers in various states are being owed over 6 months salaries and teaching job will not make you rich considering the Nigerian factor.However,to become a lecturer also isn't easy,you must have at least a master's degree...even now,they don't accept master's without experience and where would you have gotten the experience before applying?would you tell them you got it teaching secondary sch girls while serving or how?

My man,go twice a week if you are chanced as you use to do and face your primary assignment..thank me later.
Re: Should I Resign From My Current P.P.A? by Adasun(m): 9:07am On Jun 15, 2018
buttlover:

well during my own days in service, i taught three schools plus extra lesson. ogun village close to benin republic. i was the geography master to the three school. teaching was fun, you meet lot of people though the ewedu wasn't that sweet as overhyped.
yes teaching was fun indeed. sad

after lashing those school girls cheesy
Re: Should I Resign From My Current P.P.A? by SoftP(m): 9:17am On Jun 15, 2018
Connoisseur:
Leave or stay?
You can do both.

I believe you should discuss with your director. Let him know of you poison and the positive impact you'd like to make in the community. Since your days are often free, I believe he'd permit you too so you're two days a week job.

If he refuses, then you should leave.

My two cents

RIP to English meehn
Re: Should I Resign From My Current P.P.A? by Nobody: 9:24am On Jun 15, 2018
You may like teaching but NGO sure for you. You have done 6 months, why not complete it? If you influenced your posting, reap the "benefits" naw. They may retain you.
Re: Should I Resign From My Current P.P.A? by ElsonMorali: 9:26am On Jun 15, 2018
CsRockefeller:

Thanks boss.

Maybe you can organize coaching classes for students after work.

Speak to your boss if you can close by 4 after all you aren't doing anything according to you.
Re: Should I Resign From My Current P.P.A? by CsRockefeller(m): 9:29am On Jun 15, 2018
Kobicove:

Those two statements I highlighted in your post are contradictory undecided

I get home by minutes past 5pm, I will then proceed to cook, tidy my room before u sleep, the next day by 6am I'm awake, and the cycle continues till Friday except Wednesdays, sometimes I work overtime, and still come to work on my cds day. I'm only free on weekend's. I need time to do something else for my career and well being, for instance my fellow corps members in other places close by 2pm, they do other things/learn a skill before 6pm. I'm hoping to learn solar panel installation, do evening lessons and prepare for the ican sept ATS diet but no time, if I leave the office for an hour(I did it only once) and they quiered me, they prefer I sit in the office from 8am to 5pm, and sometimes , they send on frivolous errands (buying meals and co).
Re: Should I Resign From My Current P.P.A? by dreamangel: 9:40am On Jun 15, 2018
You have been praying you said, then act on your faith not your fears. What is best for you without hurting others. Trust that God will intervene on your behalf to your best benefit whether you understand it not. Do not bother about who has been given permission or not you are you not them. Go see your boss and explain things to him. Assure him that you will go the extra mile.
If permission is granted see how both can work together. For example is it possible to organise an HIV/ AIDS workshop or any other where the NGO can participate?. As for being idle come up with ideas to impact the community, what doing something for free with schools in the area. You can do something with youths in the church or community to carry out an activity. Pray there lots you can do. Do not worry much about financial rewards now it will come. Whatever you are doing record them faithfully by pictures and video and put on your social media. This is also that helps to get international scholarships and employment as well.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

NYSC ONLINE REGISTRATION 2020 @MaySystem Cybercafe. 2nd Rainbow, Mile 2 / Yusuf Bomoi Is Dead (Ex NYSC Director-General) / NYSC Ogun State: 96 Pregnant Women, Nursing Mother Excused From Camp

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.