Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,252 members, 7,811,698 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:33 PM

Is The "King Of The South" Yung6ix Changing The Nigerian Hiphop? - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Is The "King Of The South" Yung6ix Changing The Nigerian Hiphop? (472 Views)

Nigerian Hiphop Artiste, SlimJoe [Oti Yanyan] Suffers Kidney Failure / Roman Goddess And Yung6ix Spotted At A Strip Club (Photos) / "PD Had Sex With Akpororo's Wife, Impregnated Her 5 Times, Aborted" Yung6ix's DJ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Is The "King Of The South" Yung6ix Changing The Nigerian Hiphop? by Zarazzini: 10:58am On Jun 15, 2018
Onome Onokohwomo popularly known as Yung6ix is a name which rings bells in the music industry is also a force to reckon with in Hip-hop. Being born and raised up in the oil-rich niger-delta area of Warri, in the present day Delta State. Apart from Olamide, Mayorkun, Davido, Adekunle Gold, Simi and Wizkid who is repping the West, Phyno, Flavour, Lucy Q, Ken P and Zoro who are making records in the East, MI Abaga, Ice Prince, Terry Tha Rapman (Lord TR), Jesse Jagz, Morell, Kheengz, Pherowshuz, Lyrical Dr. Smith, DJ Abaa, Classiq who are Northern Nigeria, Yung6ix is one of the few music artistes from the south who are currently making hit songs to show that the South isn't left out and he is putting his region on the map.
Yung6ix is never scared or ashamed of his roots, you hear him continuously saying "King of the South' or "Warri Boy blow like a bad IC" or "Warri Boy flow, you might hate this, now we don dey dodge bullets like Matrix" or "I'm the King of the South, You can ask her". This gives him that respect and admiration from his fans because musicians and rappers from Southen Nigeria have for a long time been separated and segregated from the Mainstream and A-List of musicians in Nigeria.
Apart from the fact that Yung6ix isn't ashamed of his roots and beginnings, he isn't scared to talk about his grind and his hustle. I remember him saying that he had one shoe, selling his Gold Chain to get to Jimmy Jump off (he had one of the craziest freestyles on Jimmy Jump off back then Also, his love for music made him use his WAEC fees to record his very first song, his own father broke his music demo tapes and CDs apart... Now think of this, if he had given up because of his background or the marital problems between his mom and dad ,are we going to hear anything like Yung6ix or if he had entered into social vices like kidnapping, armed robbery, oil bunkering or joined the militants in the Niger Delta Area without believing in his dreams, will they be any king of the south? The Answer is no and that grind, hustle, and perseverance are currently paying for him.
How many rappers and hip-hop musicians can flaunt cash like Yung6ix? How many rappers can boldly call himself the King of the rap in Nigeria even when the legends are still alive? But Yung6ix is doing this, if you can recall closely it was MI Abaga who endorsed Onome Onokohwomo as the King of the South after featuring him in his mixtape [Illegal Music 2] and since then, this Warri boy has never been scared of calling himself king and nobody seems to challenge him, that is what is called "Respect".
I reminisce and recall memories back then, when we had Trybe records, Choc Boys of Chocolate City, Storm Records and 411 Entertainment, at this period in the year 2010, Ice Prince Zamani had one of the best HipHop songs of all time in Nigeria which was the song of the year at that time, Oleku was remixed and covered by so many musicians and rappers, it was exactly that song that gave birth to Yung6ix, his cover version of the song went viral and created hype for him as the future of Hip-hop in Nigeria.
As a hip-hop fan, if you don't haven't listened to Oh My Gosh by Yung6ix, then you are still backward and not ready to move to the promised land. He was nominated for the "Most Promising Act" at the 2012 Nigeria Entertainment Awards [NEA Awards], but lost to Eva, his "Oh My Gosh" song made him a leading figure in the Headies 2012 list, as he was nominated for the Best Rap single and Lyricist on the Roll, but he didn't win because he was merged with big names such as MI Abaga,Ice Prince and Modenine.
HIS RESURGENCE
Now, Yung6ix has grown so well that he manages himself and he doesn't need the support of any record label to push him or give him the needed publicity for his music growth. He runs and manages Kash Kamp Trick Billionaire Music (KKTBM) and he already has a personal Disc Jockey in the name of Baddest DJ Timmy, an in-house producer, Disally and three music artistes, Sean Dennis, LK Kuddy and a girl called She. Not only that, he has continued to support upcoming artistes, remember his "Respeck on my Name contest" which was remixed by so many rappers who sent him their cover songs for him to listen and possibly win the cash price.
After the 6ix O' clock Album, he pushed himself further by releasing the Billionaire Ambitions Ep and now High Star album, this proves true that everybody can be a star. Olamide who is currently releasing music albums back to back is a star, Wizkid who filled a hall in London is a star, Ice Prince Zamani who won a BET Award is a star or is it Cassper Nyovest who filled a 60,000 capacity stadium to the brim but amongst all Yung6ix released this album to prove to all that he is a High Star.
Cc: Mynd
Lalasticala
SOURCE: http://www.mp3musichype.com/2018/04/warri-born-rapper-yung6ix-high-star.html

Re: Is The "King Of The South" Yung6ix Changing The Nigerian Hiphop? by Bluezy13(m): 11:17am On Jun 15, 2018
Damn long piece!

At least he didn't use a goat.
Re: Is The "King Of The South" Yung6ix Changing The Nigerian Hiphop? by daryoor(m): 11:21am On Jun 15, 2018
Everything gucci around me...

I like young six but he is not all that, we can even count his hits, e no go fit pass two hits.

I just like his fake americana swag.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Modupe Ozolua Reveals She Paid To Let The Nigerians Know She Had Breast Surgery / Mercy Aigbe Buys An Exotic House In Lagos / Chioma Congratulates Davido After Winning BET AWARDS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.