Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,160 members, 7,953,605 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 08:25 PM

US Activist To Chimamanda: Go And Concentrate On Nigeria’s Problems - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / US Activist To Chimamanda: Go And Concentrate On Nigeria’s Problems (463 Views)

Binyavanga Wainaina Is Dead! HIV Positive Gay Rights Activist And Author Dies / Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie: 'I Was Happy To Wear Dior Cleavage-Baring Dress' / Ivara Esege, Chimamanda Adichie's Husband, Pictured With Her Brother, Kene (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

US Activist To Chimamanda: Go And Concentrate On Nigeria’s Problems by singwa: 10:43am On Jun 17, 2018
Dana Loesch, a United States spokesperson on gun ownership and the Second Amendment, has dissed a Nigerian novelist, Chimamanda Adichie for attempting to redefine chivalry as a concept, and therefore advised her to concentrate on Nigeria’s problems.

In her view, Chimamanda would do better by dissipating her energy on the many ills in her country, Nigeria, citing particularly the disturbing rate of genital mutilation.

Loesch, who responded to Chimamanda’s appearance on the Today Show, where she spoke against what people consider acts of chivalry, which in her opinion was subtle sexism, said Chmamanda’s position exposed her limited understanding of the idea of chivalry.

While on the Today Show, Chimamanda had said, “I think gestures like holding the door shouldn’t be gender-based. I’m quite happy for people to hold the door for me. But I hope they’re not doing it because of this sort of idea of chivalry.

“Because chivalry is really about the idea that women are somehow weak and need protecting. But we know that really, there are many women who are stronger than many men.”

However, convinced that Chimamanda did not understand the concept of chivalry, Loesch said she should focus more on the ills in her nation such as genital mutilation.

“I don’t think she understands quite the concept of chivalry, which was a code of conduct for gentlemen. With all due respect to Chimamanda – and I’m familiar with her – I think it’s a luxury of third-way feminism to complain about holding doors open for people, where her country, Nigeria, ranks top in the world for female genital mutilation, which I think is far more of a disservice to women and far more suppressive than someone courteously opening the door for someone else.”

Source: https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2018/06/17/us-activist-to-chimamanda-go-and-concentrate-on-nigerias-problems/amp/

Re: US Activist To Chimamanda: Go And Concentrate On Nigeria’s Problems by GossipCheff(m): 10:48am On Jun 17, 2018
Chimamada just dey open mouth anyhow
Re: US Activist To Chimamanda: Go And Concentrate On Nigeria’s Problems by tukdi: 10:55am On Jun 17, 2018
Deep!!!
A word is enough for the wise! grin
Re: US Activist To Chimamanda: Go And Concentrate On Nigeria’s Problems by Abjay97(m): 11:03am On Jun 17, 2018
Pls oyinbo.. help me talk sense to that open feminist who is happily married!
Re: US Activist To Chimamanda: Go And Concentrate On Nigeria’s Problems by Masterppower: 12:06pm On Jun 17, 2018
Chimamanda will rule the world whether Yorubas like it or not.....

Buhari is here to solve Nigeria's problems created by him and his Yoruba Muslims....

Chimamanda is solving problems of the world . she has outgrown operating at national or continental levels.

She is an icon and will remain so.....

(1) (Reply)

Short Story: When The Passengers Are More Than The Taxis / NKPORO III / The Purpose Of Humanity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.