Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,359 members, 7,815,760 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:54 PM

June 12 1993: How Old Were You Then? What Do You Remember? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / June 12 1993: How Old Were You Then? What Do You Remember? (1102 Views)

2023 Elections Vs June 12, 1993 Elections - Daily Trust / The Unofficial Results Of The Annulled June 12 1993 Election / Abiola: Sowore Protesting Annulment Of June 12, 1993 Election (Throwback Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

June 12 1993: How Old Were You Then? What Do You Remember? by Timibabaj(m): 12:39pm On Jun 18, 2018
Still basking in the euphoria of Buhari's declaration of June 12 as our new democracy day, I thought I should ask these questions because personally, I had this nostalgic feeling about it the moment the President made that declaration.

June 6th, 2018 felt like June 12th, 1993 all over again.

I wasn't eligible to vote at that time yet but I was old enough to feel the emotions in the atmosphere when it was certain that Abiola had won the elections.

There was genuine joy everywhere. It was a victory for Nigeria as a whole. It felt like an emancipation.

Unfortunately, that joy was stolen.

Most of us had moved on from that considering the kind of country we've become used to - a country where it seems like justice is a myth, but Buhari thought it wise to right the wrongs and serve us justice when we never even expected it.

What do you remember about June 12, 1993?

Please share smiley

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: June 12 1993: How Old Were You Then? What Do You Remember? by Paperwhite(m): 12:56pm On Jun 18, 2018
I will forever remember June-12 1993 as a day I started to participate in the Nigerian democratic struggle. Though underaged then @ 16years of age,the nostalgic feelings of my involvement still lives with me.
Unfortunately the Nigerian military robbed the nation of that national rebirth.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: June 12 1993: How Old Were You Then? What Do You Remember? by Cyynthialove(f): 1:03pm On Jun 18, 2018
Paperwhite:
I will forever remember June-12 1993 as a day I started to participate in the Nigerian democratic struggle. Though underaged then @ 16years of age,the nostalgic feelings of my involvement still lives with me.
Hmmm.
No b today u begin politics.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: June 12 1993: How Old Were You Then? What Do You Remember? by Jakinola01(m): 3:00pm On Jun 18, 2018
Walahi... Buhari just did something that sweet my body. I must say so myself as a Yoruba man.

Timibabaj:
Still basking in the euphoria of Buhari's declaration of June 12 as our new democracy day, I thought I should ask these questions because personally, I had this nostalgic feeling about it the moment the President made that declaration.

June 6th, 2018 felt like June 12th, 1993 all over again.

I wasn't eligible to vote at that time yet but I was old enough to feel the emotions in the atmosphere when it was certain that Abiola had won the elections.

There was genuine joy everywhere. It was a victory for Nigeria as a whole. It felt like an emancipation.

Unfortunately, that joy was stolen.

Most of us had moved on from that considering the kind of country we've become used to - a country where it seems like justice is a myth, but Buhari thought it wise to right the wrongs and serve us justice when we never even expected it.

What do you remember about June 12, 1993?

Please share smiley

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: June 12 1993: How Old Were You Then? What Do You Remember? by lezan(m): 3:16pm On Jun 18, 2018
I remember missing a primary 4 promotional exam cause all roads leading to school was blocked after riot broke out that the election was annulled. As small as I was then I knew there was injustice with that election....cause Mko was well received and loved even among kids then. That was truly the fairest and freest election conducted in Nigeria till today.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: June 12 1993: How Old Were You Then? What Do You Remember? by Nobody: 3:22pm On Jun 18, 2018
I don senior Tonyebarkanista by then o grin . Na 'condense' or adeyo(indomie children sorry) 50kobo we de buy for school. grin

I remember that we travelled then in a Mercedes Benz (faka bus). See as northerners pack themselves like sardine in trailers (no offense) from Okokomaiko(Lagos) to the North. Some people sold their properties at outrageously low prices and some never made it alive.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: June 12 1993: How Old Were You Then? What Do You Remember? by TonyeBarcanista(m): 3:23pm On Jun 18, 2018
June 12 1993, I was 5 years old going 6 and in Pry 1 cheesy but I had a clue about what was going on then.

I remember returning from school under the rain and chanting "Babangida must go, Abiola must be President". Just after the announcement of the annulment.

Our teachers and NUT guys had instructed us to be doing the chants while going home.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: June 12 1993: How Old Were You Then? What Do You Remember? by TonyeBarcanista(m): 3:27pm On Jun 18, 2018
Senselin:
I don senior Tonyebarkanista by then o. Na 'condense' or adeyo(indomie children sorry) 50kobo we de buy for school. grin We travelled then in a Mercedes Benz (faka bus). See as northerners pack themselves like sardine in trailers (no offense) from Okokomaiko to the North. Some people sold their properties at outrageously low prices and some never made it alive.
"Tonyebarcanista"

Haha, how old were you then/what class were you in school?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: June 12 1993: How Old Were You Then? What Do You Remember? by Nobody: 3:28pm On Jun 18, 2018
TonyeBarcanista:
June 12 1993, I was 5 years old going 6 and in Pry 1 cheesy but I had a clue about what was going on then.

I remember returning from school under the rain and chanting "Babangida must go, Abiola must be President". Just after the announcement of the annulment.

Our teachers and NUT guys had instructed us to be doing the chants while going home.

And now, Buhari Go, Markafi come. grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: June 12 1993: How Old Were You Then? What Do You Remember? by Nobody: 3:29pm On Jun 18, 2018
TonyeBarcanista:
"Tonyebarcanista"
Haha, how old were you then/what class were you in school?
Mid eighties bruv. 4-'88

1 Like 1 Share

Re: June 12 1993: How Old Were You Then? What Do You Remember? by TonyeBarcanista(m): 3:35pm On Jun 18, 2018
Senselin:

Mid eighties bruv. 4-'88
88-93 was "5"...

Abi you still wan use football age for this matter? tongue

Meanwhile, I be your egbon... I was 5 going 6 (Oct I'd be 6)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: June 12 1993: How Old Were You Then? What Do You Remember? by TonyeBarcanista(m): 3:36pm On Jun 18, 2018
Paperwhite:
I will forever remember June-12 1993 as a day I started to participate in the Nigerian democratic struggle. Though underaged then @ 16years of age, the nostalgic feelings of my involvement still lives with me.
You are an elder statesman boss!!! I loyal

your first child should not be less than 10 years

1 Like 1 Share

Re: June 12 1993: How Old Were You Then? What Do You Remember? by Nobody: 3:36pm On Jun 18, 2018
TonyeBarcanista:
88-93 was "5"...
Abi you still wan use football age for this matter? tongue
Meanwhile, I be your egbon... I was 5 going 6 (Oct I'd be 6)
'84 I meant. I no sabi maths.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: June 12 1993: How Old Were You Then? What Do You Remember? by TonyeBarcanista(m): 3:40pm On Jun 18, 2018
Senselin:

'84 I meant. I no sabi maths.
You should be married by now with kids.

My elder sister (82) has 4 kids already grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: June 12 1993: How Old Were You Then? What Do You Remember? by Ziggylady(f): 3:54pm On Jun 18, 2018
I was 48years old then.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: June 12 1993: How Old Were You Then? What Do You Remember? by DeWorlex45(m): 4:27pm On Jun 18, 2018
Ziggylady:

I was 48years old then.
Yinmu,,,

1 Like 1 Share

Re: June 12 1993: How Old Were You Then? What Do You Remember? by Nobody: 4:29pm On Jun 18, 2018
Op I don't understand what u mean by victory and joy for all Nigeria.....

can we stop this awolowo rubbish.....

he loosed an election or should I say cancelled or failed....how does it concern or improve the already dead economy......

Democracy day remains may 29.....

June 12 is a Greek gift to yoruba....

Is only a senseless human being will leave his daily activities to observe what I don't know on June 12....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: June 12 1993: How Old Were You Then? What Do You Remember? by DeWorlex45(m): 4:34pm On Jun 18, 2018
I was 7'' then & i don't think am aware of what was actually going on by then because i was not exposed to anything politics & d likes then. But i can recollect d joy & gladness all over my environment then when Abacha died, & also d general grief when MKO eventually died in prison.

Chaii, How time flies,, when ''Men were still Boys'' & when ''Boys were still Babies'',.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: June 12 1993: How Old Were You Then? What Do You Remember? by Paperwhite(m): 5:23pm On Jun 18, 2018
Cyynthialove:

Hmmm.No b today u begin politics.
Humn! smiley I'm not a politician sis but politically inclined to contribute to a better development of the Nigerian polity.Thanks dear. smiley smiley
Lets hear your June-12 story too. cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: June 12 1993: How Old Were You Then? What Do You Remember? by Cyynthialove(f): 5:58pm On Jun 18, 2018
Paperwhite:

Humn! smiley I'm not a politician sis but politically inclined to contribute to a better development of the Nigerian polity.Thanks dear. smiley smiley
Lets hear your June-12 story too. cheesy
Everything about Abiola is a history..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: June 12 1993: How Old Were You Then? What Do You Remember? by Babayero212(m): 7:05pm On Jun 18, 2018
Most people would only know of this date since Buhari decided to honor MKO.

This was a great move from him though.

Awesome work

1 Like 1 Share

Re: June 12 1993: How Old Were You Then? What Do You Remember? by Paperwhite(m): 9:38pm On Jun 18, 2018
TonyeBarcanista:

You are an elder statesman boss!!! I loyal.your first child should not be less than 10 years

grin grin grin cheesy Cant be loyal to me brother man.We own our loyality to contribute in enthroning a better democratic dispensation of which your efforts here have been highly commendable.
One love sir. smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: June 12 1993: How Old Were You Then? What Do You Remember? by TonyeBarcanista(m): 9:51pm On Jun 18, 2018
Paperwhite:

grin grin grin cheesy Cant be loyal to me brother man.We own our loyality to contribute in enthroning a better democratic dispensation of which your efforts here have been highly commendable.
One love sir. smiley
You are right Sir! God bless you richly

1 Like 1 Share

Re: June 12 1993: How Old Were You Then? What Do You Remember? by tuniski: 10:17pm On Jun 18, 2018
TonyeBarcanista:

Hmmmm you are quite young. Me I voted on June 12 1993 as an undergraduate.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: June 12 1993: How Old Were You Then? What Do You Remember? by tuniski: 10:22pm On Jun 18, 2018
Babayero212:
Most people would only know of this date since Buhari decided to honor MKO.

This was a great move from him though.

Awesome work
It is political desperation cos for many of us who voted on June 12, buhari and his ilk were/are the forces behind the annulment.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: June 12 1993: How Old Were You Then? What Do You Remember? by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:29pm On Jun 18, 2018
tuniski:

Hmmmm you are quite young. Me I voted on June 12 1993 as an undergraduate.
You are my boss o.

So what was the experience like Sir?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: June 12 1993: How Old Were You Then? What Do You Remember? by tuniski: 10:36pm On Jun 18, 2018
TonyeBarcanista:

You are my boss o.

So what was the experience like Sir?

It is till date unrivaled. Then radio and TV were the source of news and results, no gsm and Internet info super highway.

However, the annulment remains the lowest point of the military and northern oligarchy! Buhari was part and parcel of the anullers!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: June 12 1993: How Old Were You Then? What Do You Remember? by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:49pm On Jun 18, 2018
tuniski:

It is till date unrivaled. Then radio and TV were the source of news and results, no gsm and Internet info super highway.

However, the annulment remains the lowest point of the military and northern oligarchy! Buhari was part and parcel of the anullers!
Were you actively involved in the protest?

Yea, Buhari was part of the infamous military establishment..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: June 12 1993: How Old Were You Then? What Do You Remember? by tuniski: 11:06pm On Jun 18, 2018
TonyeBarcanista:
Were you actively involved in the protest?

Yea, Buhari was part of the infamous military establishment..
The protests were largely in the South west I was in jos plateau state where the SDP primaries took place.

That primaries was the beginning of my respect for Atiku. That was a primaries like no any other in my entire adulthood.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: June 12 1993: How Old Were You Then? What Do You Remember? by TonyeBarcanista(m): 11:10pm On Jun 18, 2018
tuniski:

The protests were largely in the South west I was in jos plateau state where the SDP primaries took place.

That primaries was the beginning of my respect for Atiku. That was a primaries like no any other in my entire adulthood.
Is it safe to say that your working relationship with Atiku started in Jos after the primary? Where you a card carrying member of SDP then? Where you also of PDM bloc that birthed PDP?

I hope I'm not asking many questions

1 Like 1 Share

Re: June 12 1993: How Old Were You Then? What Do You Remember? by wyzoe: 12:03am On Jun 19, 2018
I was in JSS2 then.

My source of news then was listening to adults and regurgitating their opinions.

It wasn't a big issue that the ticket was Muslim/Muslim, Abiola was the preferred candidate. TOFA was called Take Over From Army.
The atmosphere was expectant and then before you could speak, elections annulled. Abiola arrested and jailed.

Lots of stuff that I was aware of but probably did not realize the full import.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Nobody Can Intimidate Fulani Herdsmen In Nigeria, See Why / BREAKING!! Tension As Irate Youths Block Road In Aba, Set Things Ablaze(photos) / Osun Rerun: What APC Must Do To Win Election – Shehu Sani

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.