Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,817 members, 7,827,994 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 08:56 PM

How Far Will Nigeria's Super Eagles Go? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / How Far Will Nigeria's Super Eagles Go? (4319 Views)

Poll: How Far?

Round Of 16: 29% (32 votes)
Quater-Finals: 19% (21 votes)
Semi- Finals: 12% (13 votes)
Third-Place: 7% (8 votes)
Final: 17% (19 votes)
Group stage only: 13% (15 votes)
This poll has ended

Eagles Go Clubbing Before Match / Nigeria’s Super Eagles Ready For Congo,says Keshi / How Far Will You Go, For A Flight & Stadium Tickets In Sa World Cup? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Far Will Nigeria's Super Eagles Go? by Jencejyde(m): 5:39pm On Jun 04, 2010
What are the chances of Super Eagles' of Nigeria at the first world cup taking place on the African continent? My guess is as good as yours or maybe not.

People have been reacting to what they feel would be another disgraceful outing for Nigeria in South Africa, while others believe the team could be the surprise package of the tournament.

Sincerely, I believe that only teams with good preparations and the desire to win coupled with discipline and prayers would go very far. Nevertheless, this is what I would be talking about and maybe at the end of this post, you may either agree or disagree on how far the team can go.

Let's go back in time and see how far the team has come.

Nigeria participated in her first World cup at the USA '94' finals. They qualified as runners up to Argentina, whom coincidentally, they would be facing again this year in South Africa '2010', and were knocked out in the second round  by Italy.

In France '98', they qualified as group winners, playing against the likes of Spain and Bulgaria. They were knocked out again and failed to get to through the second round after suffering an embarrassing 4:1 defeat at the hands of Denmark.

They did not make it past the group stages in 2002 while politics and poor results ensured that Nigeria could not participate in the 2006 edition which took place in Germany.

A steady decline has been in existence from 1994 to 2006 which I’m sure you all agree. Never mind, let's go on.

This time around, the Eagles narrowly escaped disqualification on the last day of the qualifiers. They needed to win game in Kenya, hoping Mozambique would beat Tunisia. That's exactly what happened, and with that victory, Nigeria was able to leapfrog Tunisia and clinch the World cup ticket to South Africa 2010

Preparations are now they key to Nigeria’s' chances at the World cup. However, there is a problem in the lack of cohesion between the generation of older players and the younger ones (coughing sarcastically).

Nigeria has always produced quality players. The likes of Stephen Keshi, Segun Odegbami, Rashidi Yekini, Mutiu Adepoju, Sunday Oliseh, Finidi George, Daniel Amokachi, Emmanuel Amuneke, Samson Siasia,

Christian Chukwu, Friday Elaho, Uche Okechukwu, Celestine Babayaro, Austin Okocha, Late Samuel Okwaraji (God bless his soul) have proven that the country indeed, has produced extraordinary football talents. But, with strikers like Martins, Osaze, Yakubu (I wonder how he made the team), Kalu, Obasi, Utaka, Kanu (Well?), Nsofor and Obasi, Nigerian's would be praying that their eyes for goals would stare the team towards glory during the World cup. The partnership between the strikers is still yet to blossom, regardless of the style and formation the team would be adopting

However, a rebuilding project is now taking place after a new manager (Lars Largerback) has been appointed to replace the erstwhile coach, Shaibu Amodu. Positive signs are beginning to emerge with the Swedish tactician already making changes in the team. I personally believe these are minor indications for Nigerians to believe that the Super Eagles can spring a surprise. After missing out on qualification the last time out, I expect the Eagles to be a team with a point to prove

Let me know your thoughts and until next time, have a great day!

Are you a football fan? Are you a sports
personality, analyst, enthusiast, or follower?
Why not join me and millions of other Sports loving individuals at http://sportsview-ofjide..com/
Want to become
an author at my blog-spot? Just get in touch with me at
, jtobun@yahoo.com.Check out http://sportsview-ofjide..com/ and get into the sporting
zone. Stay Blessed.

Re: How Far Will Nigeria's Super Eagles Go? by kenny1st(m): 6:28pm On Jun 04, 2010
Watch out for Super Eagles in the final against brazil, dont be suprise if we lift the world cup eventually.
Re: How Far Will Nigeria's Super Eagles Go? by Jencejyde(m): 6:39pm On Jun 04, 2010
kenny1st:

Watch out for Super Eagles in the final against brazil, dont be suprise if we lift the world cup eventually.
Lol! I believe you and hey, if Obama could be the president of the USA. Who say's Nigeria cant be in the finals of the World cup. Tough call though, knowing fully well that we are not properly prepared. Up Eagles!
Re: How Far Will Nigeria's Super Eagles Go? by omar22(m): 6:45pm On Jun 04, 2010
Nigeria would be home before the post card,
Re: How Far Will Nigeria's Super Eagles Go? by Jencejyde(m): 6:50pm On Jun 04, 2010
omar22:

Nigeria would be home before the post card,
Hopefully, the team will prove you wrong.
Re: How Far Will Nigeria's Super Eagles Go? by ikuku(m): 9:18pm On Jun 04, 2010
Nigeria might just win the WC!
Re: How Far Will Nigeria's Super Eagles Go? by sportman: 11:09pm On Jun 04, 2010
to me i think nigeria can go as far as quater final in sa not even argentina can spoil that vcision.
Re: How Far Will Nigeria's Super Eagles Go? by supereagle(m): 3:07am On Jun 06, 2010
Nigeria is going out in first round, do not rejoice yet. Let the best coach in world come to coach Nigeria.There are some unseen factor that will work against Nigeria, the foundation for that has been laid.
Re: How Far Will Nigeria's Super Eagles Go? by cantell(m): 3:12am On Jun 06, 2010
supereagle:

Nigeria is  going out in first round, do not rejoice yet. Let the best coach in world  come to coach Nigeria.There are some unseen factor that will work against Nigeria, the foundation for that has been laid.
Bad belle people.
Go rent flat for hell-fire!
Re: How Far Will Nigeria's Super Eagles Go? by orisebawo(m): 8:30am On Jun 06, 2010
Nigeria's problem has always been lack of discipline and not skillful players, having said that I believe the new coach has brought in some amount of discipline with no one asurred of a starting shirt.

Our problem as a nation is simple, we are not patriotic enough, our support for our team should be constant as nigerians irrespective of how well they might fair at the competition.

yes we all know they havent prepared enought and we would have preffered more time but hey we are where we are and we should support them all they way. i know they will qualify from the group, a win and 2 draws will do it for us, I dont rate argentina too much becuase individually they are good but as a team they can be very average, we all know lagerback is using the same players amodu used, but a raquet in the hands of Federa will give a diff result to one in the hands of Murray
Re: How Far Will Nigeria's Super Eagles Go? by idealhere: 8:33am On Jun 06, 2010
Nice post…Thank you for sharing some good things.
Re: How Far Will Nigeria's Super Eagles Go? by Brisingr(m): 9:19am On Jun 06, 2010
beatin argentina is enough 4 me.Am not xpectin 2 much 4rom dis team
Re: How Far Will Nigeria's Super Eagles Go? by otokx(m): 1:23pm On Jun 06, 2010
By the end of the 2nd game it will be clear to all how far we shall go.
Re: How Far Will Nigeria's Super Eagles Go? by ikuku(m): 6:12am On Jun 07, 2010
^^^^How convenient! cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: How Far Will Nigeria's Super Eagles Go? by Kx: 12:18pm On Jun 07, 2010
Home bound after the second game, the 3rd game will be a mere formality.
Least i forget, with lots of goals conceded.
Re: How Far Will Nigeria's Super Eagles Go? by tefund(m): 12:22pm On Jun 07, 2010
first round,it is so predictable
Re: How Far Will Nigeria's Super Eagles Go? by sayso: 12:28pm On Jun 07, 2010
there position is not stated there,first group matches,they will come back
Re: How Far Will Nigeria's Super Eagles Go? by DrKnow1(m): 12:32pm On Jun 07, 2010
I believe we can fly!
Re: How Far Will Nigeria's Super Eagles Go? by Ranoscky(m): 12:34pm On Jun 07, 2010
All i know is that, Nigeria will reach the quater final, buh "i don't know" if they'll scale through to semi final.
Re: How Far Will Nigeria's Super Eagles Go? by sizzlers(m): 12:37pm On Jun 07, 2010
i can bet my ass on it 9JA will return in the first 16 round
Re: How Far Will Nigeria's Super Eagles Go? by sley4life(m): 12:49pm On Jun 07, 2010
we might qualify from our group. Im happy some unpatriotic players(names withheld) are out of the team.
Re: How Far Will Nigeria's Super Eagles Go? by ohisng(m): 1:03pm On Jun 07, 2010
Definitely will crash out at the first round!!
Re: How Far Will Nigeria's Super Eagles Go? by Wrex(m): 1:07pm On Jun 07, 2010
Nigerians are funny and stupid at the same time, how can u expect a team that started preparing barely 2 months to the world cup to compete with teams that have been preparing for years, miracles don't just happen.You need to work hard before favor can locate it.Nigerians,please change this mindset and stop being silly
Re: How Far Will Nigeria's Super Eagles Go? by olatosunka: 1:19pm On Jun 07, 2010
PRIDE
POWER
NAIJA
I believe in d strong,creative n bold 'spirit of naija' n I believe dis will give d super eagle a good(mit not b brilliant though)outing at SA.
sure we'l make our mark but dont b surprise if we go far in d competition.
Re: How Far Will Nigeria's Super Eagles Go? by kanayo74(m): 1:56pm On Jun 07, 2010
they will go as far as there Goals, Dedication, e.t.c will carry them.
Re: How Far Will Nigeria's Super Eagles Go? by Jencejyde(m): 2:28pm On Jun 07, 2010
cantell:

Bad belle people.
Go rent flat for hell-fire!
True talk!

idealhere:

Nice post…Thank you for sharing some good things.

Thank you. peeps like you give us the impetus to continue doing what we do. I appreciate.
olatosunka:

PRIDE
POWER
NAIJA
I believe in d strong,creative n bold 'spirit of naija' n I believe dis will give d super eagle a good(mit not b brilliant though)outing at SA.
sure we'l make our mark but dont b surprise if we go far in d competition.
kanayo74:

they will go as far as there Goals, Dedication, e.t.c will carry them.
I see very patriotic individuals in here.
Re: How Far Will Nigeria's Super Eagles Go? by PurestBoy(m): 2:34pm On Jun 07, 2010
Lagerbeer only has 3 international matches left as a coach
Re: How Far Will Nigeria's Super Eagles Go? by Jencejyde(m): 2:58pm On Jun 07, 2010
PurestBoy:

Lagerbeer only has 3 international matches left as a coach
Lol! Bros , you harsh oh.
Re: How Far Will Nigeria's Super Eagles Go? by eros(m): 3:58pm On Jun 07, 2010
Kx:

Home bound after the second game, the 3rd game will be a mere formality.
Least i forget, with lots of goals conceded.

You took the exact words out of my mouth mate. Bunch of unpatriotic BASTARDS. angry angry angry angry angry
Re: How Far Will Nigeria's Super Eagles Go? by Tcrack(m): 4:15pm On Jun 07, 2010
football is a game of luck and with goodluck on our side, we will play cheap teams until we get to the finals. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: How Far Will Nigeria's Super Eagles Go? by ewealths(m): 6:24pm On Jun 07, 2010
Tcrack:

football is a game of luck and with goodluck on our side, we will play cheap teams until we get to the finals. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

And those forget that with GOODLUCK you will need a lot of PATIENCE behind you and patience in the world cup is not available to us and another thing with GOODLUCK, we don't have to play before the world cup will be GIVEN TO US
Re: How Far Will Nigeria's Super Eagles Go? by mykali(m): 6:57pm On Jun 07, 2010
@Jencejyde

I love your patriotism bro . . .i just hope you don't get too disappointed on D'day

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Gambling Can Change Your Life / Download Video: Real Madrid Vs Barcelona 2-3 Here / Antonio Conte Sacked By Chelsea Football Club

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.