Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,546 members, 7,816,327 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:38 AM

What's Your Thought About Changing My Surname From... - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What's Your Thought About Changing My Surname From... (2562 Views)

Share Your Thought (picture). / I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? / Should I Change My Surname, Please I Need Your Advice. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's Your Thought About Changing My Surname From... by Dremca(m): 5:25pm On Jun 22, 2018
I posted on nairaland https://www.nairaland.com/4243960/should-change-surname-please-need late last year on my decision to change my surname, "..."

At first I wanted to change to "..." which is my grand father's English name but after having a second thought and the opinions I got concerning having an identity, I decided to change to something native.

My decision for changing my surname was as a result of concern of having a clear meaning and origin of the surname I bear. However, "..." means "A child born on the '...' ...", "..." being one of the four market days in the Igbo calendar has no significant meaning to my life journey. I wouldn't want to accept what I can't even explain to my unborn kids in the future nor accept a surname because everyone in my family bears it.

For that reason, I decided to change my from... meaning creation. I believed this proposed surname of mine has so much to talk about my life jouney, from going from the unknown to the known; from being a natural man to a reformed and informed man.

I will really appreciate your thought about this new surname and its meaning.
Re: What's Your Thought About Changing My Surname From... by Rosebloom: 7:43am On Jun 23, 2018
Could still mean python you know...

5 Likes

Re: What's Your Thought About Changing My Surname From... by Chubhie: 8:31am On Jun 23, 2018
Rosebloom:
Son or daughter of the python seems more plausible.

It's up to you to give meaning to your life not your surname per say cos once freedom lights its beacon in man's heart, even the gods are powerless against him~ Jean Paul Sartre.
Re: What's Your Thought About Changing My Surname From... by boldx(m): 9:32am On Jun 23, 2018
Chukwueke. Ekechukwu.
Re: What's Your Thought About Changing My Surname From... by Dremca(m): 1:42pm On Jun 23, 2018
With the h added, I don't think so.
Rosebloom:
Re: What's Your Thought About Changing My Surname From... by Dremca(m): 1:44pm On Jun 23, 2018
How, at the bold!
Chubhie:

Son or daughter of the python seems more plausible.

It's up to you to give meaning to your life not your surname per say cos once freedom lights its beacon in man's heart, even the gods are powerless against him~ Jean Paul Sartre.
Re: What's Your Thought About Changing My Surname From... by Dremca(m): 1:45pm On Jun 23, 2018
Sounds really good, what if I don't feel like adding "Chukwu"
boldx:
Chukwueke. Ekechukwu.
Re: What's Your Thought About Changing My Surname From... by Chubhie: 3:22pm On Jun 23, 2018
Dremca:
How, at the bold!
In my part of Anambra, We treat pythons royally with utmost respect as tradition demands.

Eke is python. Now, when the gods decides to walk amongst our community or once walked through your family tree, Nweke becomes your title with which you swagger through life.
Re: What's Your Thought About Changing My Surname From... by Rosebloom: 8:09pm On Jun 23, 2018
Dremca:

The h is irrelevant...

1 Like

Re: What's Your Thought About Changing My Surname From... by Rosebloom: 8:11pm On Jun 23, 2018
Dremca:

The h is irrelevant...

Eke... means python, market day, destiny, gizzard.

The variation is in the tone used in pronunciation.

1 Like

Re: What's Your Thought About Changing My Surname From... by LotusFan: 8:18pm On Jun 23, 2018
Chubhie:

In my part of Anambra, We treat pythons royally with utmost respect as tradition demands.

Eke is python. Now, when the gods decides to walk amongst our community or once walked through your family tree, Nweke becomes your title with which you swagger through life.

Are you from Ogidi?
Re: What's Your Thought About Changing My Surname From... by Chubhie: 8:45pm On Jun 23, 2018
LotusFan:

Are you from Ogidi?
I'm not at liberty to say that. Nnamdi Kanu hides in my village.

2 Likes

Re: What's Your Thought About Changing My Surname From... by LotusFan: 10:21pm On Jun 23, 2018
Chubhie:

I'm not at liberty to say that. Nnamdi Kanu hides in my village.

wink

1 Like

Re: What's Your Thought About Changing My Surname From... by baby124: 12:05am On Jun 24, 2018
Just change the name to God’s wealth, favour or Abundance in Igbo and move on.

1 Like

Re: What's Your Thought About Changing My Surname From... by Nobody: 7:56am On Jun 24, 2018
sorry bro. name has no meaning in our life journey.

people like Bill Gate, George Bush, Condoleezza Rice. all made their marks with names that the ordinary African will condemn.
Re: What's Your Thought About Changing My Surname From... by ariesbull: 9:00am On Jun 24, 2018
African and superstition maybe one Pentecostal pastor has used your brain to drink oats and tell you that your name is cause of your poverty.. my dear it's not your name but mentality...grow up and forget this superstition. Anambra is a state named after a river ..yet she is doing well

Bill Gates is named after Gate and Bill yet he is rich

Blackman grow up

2 Likes

Re: What's Your Thought About Changing My Surname From... by Dremca(m): 11:11am On Jun 25, 2018
I will prefer it to mean destiny
Rosebloom:

The h is irrelevant...

Eke... means python, market day, destiny, gizzard.

The variation is in the tone used in pronunciation.

1 Like

Re: What's Your Thought About Changing My Surname From... by Dremca(m): 11:16am On Jun 25, 2018
Its not really about superstition, its about meaning and legacy
ariesbull:
African and superstition maybe one Pentecostal pastor has used your brain to drink oats and tell you that your name is cause of your poverty.. my dear it's not your name but mentality...grow up and forget this superstition. Anambra is a state named after a river ..yet she is doing well

Blackman grow up
Re: What's Your Thought About Changing My Surname From... by Dremca(m): 11:17am On Jun 25, 2018
Can you please help me translate them to igbo
baby124:
Just change the name to God’s wealth, favour or Abundance in Igbo and move on.
Re: What's Your Thought About Changing My Surname From... by Nobody: 11:04pm On Jun 25, 2018
ariesbull:

Blackman grow up

But a river is a beautiful thing, no?
Cos in this write up you made it sound like Anambra is doing well in spite of what she is named after?
Beautiful work of nature, can be a deity too, home to fish and more, pray tell me, how is being named after a river NOT a good thing?

1 Like

Re: What's Your Thought About Changing My Surname From... by ariesbull: 11:09pm On Jun 25, 2018
merahki:

But a river is a beautiful thing, no?
Cos in this write up you made it sound like Anambra is doing well in spite of what she is named after?
Beautiful work of nature, can be a deity too, home to fish and more, pray tell me, how is being named after a river NOT a good thing?

What about Ogun state and Osun state
Re: What's Your Thought About Changing My Surname From... by Phut(f): 5:31am On Jun 26, 2018
Dremca:
Can you please help me translate them to igbo

Wealth/Abundance = Uba

Chinwuba is my friends last name. It means God is the owner/giver of wealth.

Amara = Grace/Favor. Amarachi = God’s grace/favor.

There is nothing wrong with the names Nweke, Noriega, Nwafo or Nwankwo. In Ghana most boys are named after the day of the week they were born e.g Kofi, Kodak, Kwadjo, Kweku. Even their women are named.
similarly.

Nweke just means a child born on Eke which is a day of the week in Igbo. You have to stop living under this cloud of fear and suspicion of everything pertaining to your culture and the way of your ancestors. You did not spring out of the earth full grown. You are great and special because they were great and special people. I posted a number of times on your other thread.

All the so call English days of the week were named after one European god or the other. Thursday is after Thor. Saturday is named after the god Saturn. Same thing with all the other days after the week. I am sure you describe the days of the week using this system, right? After these words pass your lips, are u left feeling like a heathen? Some Nigerians even name their children Monday, Sunday etc. and I bet you won’t find anything wrong with it. So why this hullabaloo about Nweke? Focus on what the name literally means, instead of all these contusions about some god, snake etc.

To sum it up, you can choose Eke if you want, maybe Uba or any of the other translations I offered. I however strongly advise against putting a “h” at the end of the name. Putting h at the end of Dike, Eke, Uba etc is stupid in my opinion. Igbo names do not end with a consonant. Putting a consonant renders everything meaningless. All the different permutations of the words carry a high or low tone. H can never be used to denote a high or low tone. If so, I might as well tell you that Ekeh means snake. Please stop splitting hairs, okay. Trying to run away from your shadow is an exercise is futility and will only lead to ruin.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's Your Thought About Changing My Surname From... by Phut(f): 5:48am On Jun 26, 2018
Dremca:
I posted on nairaland https://www.nairaland.com/4243960/should-change-surname-please-need late last year on my decision to change my surname, "Nweke."

At first I wanted to change to "Lawrence" which is my grand father's English name but after having a second thought and the opinions I got concerning having an identity, I decided to change to something native.

My decision for changing my surname was as a result of concern of having a clear meaning and origin of the surname I bear. However, "Nweke" means "A child born on the 'eke' market day", "eke" being one of the four market days in the Igbo calendar has no significant meaning to my life journey. I wouldn't want to accept what I can't even explain to my unborn kids in the future nor accept a surname because everyone in my family bears it.

For that reason, I decided to change my from "Nweke" to "Ekeh" meaning creation. I believed this proposed surname of mine has so much to talk about my life jouney, from going from the unknown to the known; from being a natural man to a reformed and informed man.

I will really appreciate your thought about this new surname and its meaning.

Ke = Create

Kere = Created

Ike = To create. It can also mean strength. The “I” is pronounced like an English “E”. Hence the name Ikenna is pronounced Ekenna. Same thing applies with Ike (To create).

Now when a word starts with an “E” in Igbo language, the “E” pronunciation is a little different from the English “E” pronunciation. I would say that the closest sound to it would be “eh”. Hence Eke would be pronounced as “Ehke”. Now mind you, I am not in favor of adding consonants where they shouldn’t be. I advocate people learning the Igbo alphabet/pronunciation. Adding h at the end of a name is just a needless, adulteration.

Creation = Okike.

2 Likes

Re: What's Your Thought About Changing My Surname From... by Phut(f): 5:52am On Jun 26, 2018
Dremca, you can also consider Ikere. I have met someone with that last name

1 Like

Re: What's Your Thought About Changing My Surname From... by Dremca(m): 5:45am On Jun 27, 2018
Okay, thanks for your contributions.
Phut:

Wealth/Abundance = Uba

Chinwuba is my friends last name. It means God is the owner/giver of wealth.

Amara = Grace/Favor. Amarachi = God’s grace/favor.

There is nothing wrong with the names Nweke, Noriega, Nwafo or Nwankwo. In Ghana most boys are named after the day of the week they were born e.g Kofi, Kodak, Kwadjo, Kweku. Even their women are named.
similarly.

Nweke just means a child born on Eke which is a day of the week in Igbo. You have to stop living under this cloud of fear and suspicion of everything pertaining to your culture and the way of your ancestors. You did not spring out of the earth full grown. You are great and special because they were great and special people. I posted a number of times on your other thread.

All the so call English days of the week were named after one European god or the other. Thursday is after Thor. Saturday is named after the god Saturn. Same thing with all the other days after the week. I am sure you describe the days of the week using this system, right? After these words pass your lips, are u left feeling like a heathen? Some Nigerians even name their children Monday, Sunday etc. and I bet you won’t find anything wrong with it. So why this hullabaloo about Nweke? Focus on what the name literally means, instead of all these contusions about some god, snake etc.

To sum it up, you can choose Eke if you want, maybe Uba or any of the other translations I offered. I however strongly advise against putting a “h” at the end of the name. Putting h at the end of Dike, Eke, Uba etc is stupid in my opinion. Igbo names do not end with a consonant. Putting a consonant renders everything meaningless. All the different permutations of the words carry a high or low tone. H can never be used to denote a high or low tone. If so, I might as well tell you that Ekeh means snake. Please stop splitting hairs, okay. Trying to run away from your shadow is an exercise is futility and will only lead to ruin.
Re: What's Your Thought About Changing My Surname From... by Phut(f): 1:58am On Jun 28, 2018
@Dremca. This just crossed my mind. Aku also means wealth.

You know how people say “Aku na Uba”, right?

It literally means Wealth and Plenty. So take your pick.

#Udo

3 Likes

Re: What's Your Thought About Changing My Surname From... by Dremca(m): 6:55am On Jun 28, 2018
Okay, thanks.
Phut:

#Udo
Re: What's Your Thought About Changing My Surname From... by Dremca(m): 8:53pm On Aug 16, 2018
Hello, What does Ekemezie mean. I may consider it if it carries a good meaning.
Phut:

#Udo
Re: What's Your Thought About Changing My Surname From... by Phut(f): 1:32am On Aug 17, 2018
Dremca:
Hello, What does Ekemezie mean. I may consider it if it carries a good meaning.

My suggestion would be Ekezie.

Ke = Create
Ike = To create
Eke = That which was created.

Ekezie = That which was created well.
Sometimes Igbo’s would say Ekeziri Ekezi. The Ekeziri is just added for emphasis and it means that which was created VERY WELL.

Igbo is a tonal language. So Ke can also mean share/Divide.
Ekezie can also mean one who was created well/got a goodly share of what God was dishing out.

Ekemezie has already been translated to you on another thread. That translation is correct. Ekezie or Ekemezie - Take your pick.

1 Like

Re: What's Your Thought About Changing My Surname From... by Nobody: 8:08pm On Aug 21, 2018
ariesbull:

What about Ogun state and Osun state

Rivers are beautiful, always, nature always makes me feel close to God
So Ogun and Osun are just like Anambra, beautiful works of God

(1) (Reply)

Men! Have You Ever Tried To Get A Lady Pregnant To Tie Her To You? / A Philippines/nigeria Lady Looking For Nigeria Father / Is It Now Normal For Married Women To Cook For Their Male Single Friends?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.