Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,491 members, 7,816,162 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:52 AM

Should I Change My Surname, Please I Need Your Advice. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should I Change My Surname, Please I Need Your Advice. (6984 Views)

I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? / I Want To Change My Surname To My Mother's Name. Pls Help!! / Man Changes His Surname To His Mother’s Name (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Change My Surname, Please I Need Your Advice. by Dremca(m): 11:07am On Dec 20, 2017
I currently bear my grand-father's name as my surname "..." which means "A boy born on 'eke' market day" (One of the... It could literally mean "..." (...). Also from my findings it is affiliated with ... which I can't deeply explain.

Imagine having kids someday and my children walk up to me out of curiosity wanting to know the meaning of my surname and it sound meaningless. So I have decided to bear ... which is "..." (...) which has a better meaning and acceptance. If the surname was Eze/Obi (meaning king) or any other meaningful name, I wouldn't have bothered changing it. I want to read meaning to my names, for the fact that my family members bears same surname doesn't mean I should do the same.

I would appreciate if you guys have a diverse view of the name if is worth keeping or not.

Cc: Lalasticlala, Mynd44

1 Like

Re: Should I Change My Surname, Please I Need Your Advice. by Pierohandsome: 11:10am On Dec 20, 2017
Change it, i dnt see any sense in people bearing their grand-father's name whn they can bear their own father's name.

I am evn planning to change my surname to my personal name

2 Likes

Re: Should I Change My Surname, Please I Need Your Advice. by duduwest(m): 11:13am On Dec 20, 2017
Change is constant
You can start a new generation by doing that. Not compulsory for your own children to bear your surname, you can put your Own name in there name. As simple as that

4 Likes

Re: Should I Change My Surname, Please I Need Your Advice. by delishpot: 11:15am On Dec 20, 2017
come and bear my own grand fathers name since you do not want your grandpas own. I even thought you would say his name translates to Child of bondage or suffering or pain or strife or shame, or sorrow or death or mockery or poverty sef. See fine name wey you want dump.

10 Likes

Re: Should I Change My Surname, Please I Need Your Advice. by KardinalZik(m): 11:18am On Dec 20, 2017
Are you the one to change your father's name for him? Is your father's name not Nweke? Did he tell you he isn't comfortable with it? Were you the one who chose your surname for yourself in the first place? Or, are you planning to 'disfather' him if he insist on being called Nweke?

CHANGE YOUR NAME, NOT YOUR PARENTS' NAME.

EDUCATION + CIVILIZATION IS NOT EQUAL TO STUPIDITY!

7 Likes

Re: Should I Change My Surname, Please I Need Your Advice. by Dremca(m): 11:19am On Dec 20, 2017
Pierohandsome:
Change it, i dnt see any sense in people bearing their grand-father's name whn they can bear their own father's name.

I am evn planning to change my surname to my personal name
Thanks, but currently I bear my father's name as one of my names. I really see my grand-father as a role model, learnt so much life lessons from him before he passed on and I will be very proud to bear his name.
Re: Should I Change My Surname, Please I Need Your Advice. by LegitBoy(m): 11:22am On Dec 20, 2017
KardinalZik:
Are you the one to change your father's name for him? Is your father's name not Nweke? Did he tell you he isn't comfortable with it? Were you the one who chose your surname for yourself in the first place? Or, are you planning to 'disfather' him if he insist on being called Nweke?

Learn to read and understand before dishing out advise next time undecided . He want to change his surname which his children will adopt ahan.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Change My Surname, Please I Need Your Advice. by Dremca(m): 11:26am On Dec 20, 2017
duduwest:
Change is constant
You can start a new generation by doing that. Not compulsory for your own children to bear your surname, you can put your Own name in there name. As simple as that
Yea, surname are ought to be father's name not grand-father's name except the name bears a legacy (like Henry "Ford"wink, his descedant bears "Ford."
Re: Should I Change My Surname, Please I Need Your Advice. by Dremca(m): 11:27am On Dec 20, 2017
delishpot:
come and bear my own grand fathers name since you do not want your grandpas own. I even thought you would say his name translates to Child of bondage or suffering or pain or strife or shame, or sorrow or death or mockery or poverty sef. See fine name wey you want dump.
Lol. Very funny. I think meaning matters most.
Re: Should I Change My Surname, Please I Need Your Advice. by Dremca(m): 11:30am On Dec 20, 2017
KardinalZik:

You didn't come in peace. Hence, you didn't read the writeup very well. NOTED.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Change My Surname, Please I Need Your Advice. by duduwest(m): 11:34am On Dec 20, 2017
Dremca:
Yea, surname are ought to be father's name not grand-father's name except the name bears a legacy (like Henry "Ford"wink, his descedant bears "Ford."
we are in the same line cos I Bear my grandpa which I don't no surname and all my siblings are using there own name for there children but the reason I stick to the name is because I love the name and I have even modernise it to my own taste. Salawudeen to Solahudeen
Re: Should I Change My Surname, Please I Need Your Advice. by delishpot: 11:37am On Dec 20, 2017
Dremca:
Lol. Very funny. I think meaning matters most.

Thats why I was looking for a terrible meaning in that name na. I no see the bad meaning till now o

2 Likes

Re: Should I Change My Surname, Please I Need Your Advice. by KardinalZik(m): 11:39am On Dec 20, 2017
LegitBoy:
Learn to read and understand before dishing out advise next time undecided . He want to change his surname which his children will adopt ahan.

Why must his children adopt his surname as theirs? His first name ought to be his children's surname.

SURNAMES ARE PROGRESSIVE, NOT STATIC.
Re: Should I Change My Surname, Please I Need Your Advice. by Zonacom(m): 11:45am On Dec 20, 2017
If you must change your surname, please pick another tribal name as surname. A Lawrence as surname for an Igbo person ain't palatable to me biko.

5 Likes

Re: Should I Change My Surname, Please I Need Your Advice. by Dremca(m): 11:49am On Dec 20, 2017
duduwest:
we are in the same line cos I Bear my grandpa which I don't no surname and all my siblings are using there own name for there children but the reason I stick to the name is because I love the name and I have even modernise it to my own taste. Salawudeen to Solahudeen
Is good to know you love your surname maybe because of the way it sound or the meaning but I pay more attention to meaning. There are funny Igbo names I can't give my children. Name like "Azuka" (back/backwardness is greater). It may sound nice to many but the meaning is awful. Same applies to names of other tribes.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Change My Surname, Please I Need Your Advice. by Dremca(m): 11:55am On Dec 20, 2017
delishpot:

Thats why I was looking for a terrible meaning in that name na. I no see the bad meaning till now o
I earlier mentioned that the name is associated with a "deity" responsible for counting days of week in Igbo. I don't think I will be comfortable associating my surname with a deity I know nothing about. These deity were there before the coming of the white men. I will so much appreciate if you have different meaning for the name.
Re: Should I Change My Surname, Please I Need Your Advice. by Dremca(m): 11:58am On Dec 20, 2017
KardinalZik:

Why must his children adopt his surname as theirs? His first name ought to be his children's surname.

SURNAMES ARE PROGRESSIVE, NOT STATIC.
Certainly my children would adopt my name as their surname. Thanks for your input.
Re: Should I Change My Surname, Please I Need Your Advice. by Dremca(m): 12:02pm On Dec 20, 2017
Zonacom:
If you must change your surname, please pick another tribal name as surname. A Lawrence as surname for an Igbo person ain't palatable to me biko.
You're right but my grand-father has only two names: one native name and one english name. I also have my own local name as an ethnic identity. Thanks for your concern.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Change My Surname, Please I Need Your Advice. by delishpot: 12:05pm On Dec 20, 2017
Dremca:
I earlier mentioned that the name is associated with a "deity" responsible for counting days of week in Igbo. I don't think I will be comfortable associating my surname with a deity I know nothing about. These deity were there before the coming of the white men. I will so much appreciate if you have different meaning for the name.

So Igbos should also worry about a market day named after a deity? Go learn about the deity if you want to know about it na. If you aint comfortable sha, change it. ONe cant feel your feeling. I dont know the meaning of that name from market or deity angle sha.

1 Like

Re: Should I Change My Surname, Please I Need Your Advice. by Dremca(m): 12:19pm On Dec 20, 2017
delishpot:

So Igbos should also worry about a market day named after a deity? Go learn about the deity if you want to know about it na. If you aint comfortable sha, change it. ONe cant feel your feeling. I dont know the meaning of that name from market or deity angle sha.
We are all here to learn. Ancient people did alot of evil deed in the past including killing of twins, killing of albinos, sacrifice of virgins et al out of ignorance and I still can't figure out what these deities represent. This is 21st century, and I believe we ought to be well informed of our past, present and future. Even up til this mordern day era, some tribes in remote places in africa still practice some of those things and you will be suprise to find out that such ill practice still exist (NB: Am not trying to condemn traditional religious but the bad practises of it). I wish to read meaning and I will appreciate more of your contribution.

1 Like

Re: Should I Change My Surname, Please I Need Your Advice. by Dremca(m): 2:14pm On Dec 20, 2017
Please guys, I still need more of your contributions.
Re: Should I Change My Surname, Please I Need Your Advice. by delishpot: 2:27pm On Dec 20, 2017
Dremca:
We are all here to learn. Ancient people did alot of evil deed in the past including killing of twins, killing of albinos, sacrifice of virgins et al out of ignorance and I still can't figure out what these deities represent. This is 21st century, and I believe we ought to be well informed of our past, present and future. Even up til this mordern day era, some tribes in remote places in africa still practice some of those things and you will be suprise to find out that such ill practice still exist (NB: Am not trying to condemn traditional religious but the bad practises of it). I wish to read meaning and I will appreciate more of your contribution.

Okay, I feel you and like I said, no one can feel how you feel in other words he who wears the shoe knows where it pinches. Every religion has gone through renovation. If human sacrifice was not a part of Jewish ancient custom Abraham would not have taken Issac to be sacrificed, women were stoned to death in Jesus' time, kids were stoned if they were considered disobedient(The source of the commandment honour thine father and mother so that your days shall be long on earth), virgins were captured and raped as what the right hand possessed in war, Slavery was allowed and slaves encouraged to obey their masters and serve them well. But did all that make you hate Jewish God? I will not stand for a God that asks for human blood no matter which God. If you wanna kill, do it yourself.
Re: Should I Change My Surname, Please I Need Your Advice. by Dremca(m): 2:45pm On Dec 20, 2017
delishpot:

Okay, I feel you and like I said, no one can feel how you feel in other words he who wears the shoe knows where it pinches. Every religion has gone through renovation. If human sacrifice was not a part of Jewish ancient custom Abraham would not have taken Issac to be sacrificed, women were stoned to death in Jesus' time, kids were stoned if they were considered disobedient(The source of the commandment honour thine father and mother so that your days shall be long on earth), virgins were captured and raped as what the right hand possessed in war, Slavery was allowed and slaves encouraged to obey their masters and serve them well. But did all that make you hate Jewish God? I will not stand for a God that asks for human blood no matter which God. If you wanna kill, do it yourself.
I really love your point. In as much as I don't condemn any religion, am only against the bad practises in it and names related to them especially onces with no clear meaning. I believe you won't name your child Herod or Delilah due to the events that brought meaning to those names. Imagine someone bearing Judas Iscarriot, The first thing that goes your mind will be, "could this person be a 'traitor.' " So every religion has it's own bad side either in the past or present, but I still believe meanings matters. I really appreciate your input.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Change My Surname, Please I Need Your Advice. by delishpot: 3:14pm On Dec 20, 2017
Dremca:
I really love your point. In as much as I don't condemn any religion, am only against the bad practises in it and names related to them especially onces with no clear meaning. I believe you won't name your child Herod or Delilah due to the events that brought meaning to those names. Imagine someone bearing Judas Iscarriot, The first thing that goes your mind will be, "could this person be a 'traitor.' " So every religion has it's own bad side either in the past or present, but I still believe meanings matters. I really appreciate your input.

Pope killed a lot of Christians back in the day, but today it is a blessing to become the pope in some religious groups. Priests raped kids but today families still send their kids to become priests. Many people were still called Judas even after the death of Christ and no took it personal. Parents don't give that name due to sentiments of people not because the child would betray another Christ. So basically they don't want others to judge the child just the same way a white man can judge you just by your skin color even tho the name and the color doesn't define your character. So yeah, if you feel the name doesn't portray you in a positive light then by all means change it.
Re: Should I Change My Surname, Please I Need Your Advice. by mrphysics(m): 3:26pm On Dec 20, 2017
My Kids will bear my name. They have nothing to do with their grand fathers name.
Re: Should I Change My Surname, Please I Need Your Advice. by Dremca(m): 4:17pm On Dec 20, 2017
delishpot:

Pope killed a lot of Christians back in the day, but today it is a blessing to become the pope in some religious groups. Priests raped kids but today families still send their kids to become priests. Many people were still called Judas even after the death of Christ and no took it personal. Parents don't give that name due to sentiments of people not because the child would betray another Christ. So basically they don't want others to judge the child just the same way a white man can judge you just by your skin color even tho the name and the color doesn't define your character. So yeah, if you feel the name doesn't portray you in a positive light then by all means change it.
You have a great point. Imagine a man from Nigeria bears the name "Emmanuel Judas" invents the cure for HIV/AIDS. Two things are involve here: the man's name and what he invented. Such person will certainly dominate the headline in mainstream and social media for a long time even becoming the "PERSONALITY OF THE YEAR" in various media. All these would happen because of contrasts, many would even name there children Judas just as some did when Obama became the president. Former perception/definition of the name Judas was a "traitor" and new perception/definition will be "world problem solver." But as for mine, is a generic ancient name associated with deity which could be spiritual with no clear meaning and no relationship to the modern day era.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Change My Surname, Please I Need Your Advice. by MrBottle: 6:18pm On Dec 20, 2017
Dremca:
Is good to know you love your surname maybe because of the way it sound or the meaning but I pay more attention to meaning. There are funny Igbo names I can't give my children. Name like "Azuka" (back/backwardness is greater). It may sound nice to many but the meaning is awful. Same applies to names of other tribes.
This really shows you lack understanding of Igbo names. I wanted to let the nweke stuff slide but this....Azuka...kai. come on . And nweke is not son of a python, in short what did you score igbo language in your WAEC cos I am seeing an abysmal lack of in-depth meaning of Igbo words on your part.

You can answer whatever name that suit you but don't plunge my language into abyss with you. There is wood, bush, waters, winters and the rest of them "English" names you can chose from.

1 Like

Re: Should I Change My Surname, Please I Need Your Advice. by Dremca(m): 6:40pm On Dec 20, 2017
MrBottle:
This really shows you lack understanding of Igbo names. I wanted to let the nweke stuff slide but this....Azuka...kai. come on . And nweke is not son of a python, in short what did you score igbo language in your WAEC cos I am seeing an abysmal lack of in-depth meaning of Igbo words on your part.

You can answer whatever name that suit you but don't plunge my language into abyss with you. There is wood, bush, waters, winters and the rest of them "English" names you can chose from.
If you read my writeup very well, I said Nweke means "Nwoke amuri ubochi eke" meaning "A boy born on the eke market day" while literaly (syllabically) it means son of a python. So one is direct meaning while the other is literary meaning. I will appreciate if you can educate me more about the name "Nweke:" origin, deeper meaning and any other information about the name. I look forward to your response sir.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Change My Surname, Please I Need Your Advice. by Chommieblaq(f): 6:48pm On Dec 20, 2017
MrBottle:

A million like for you.

Most of those English names, do we really know their origin and deeper meaning.

1 Like

Re: Should I Change My Surname, Please I Need Your Advice. by Dremca(m): 7:02pm On Dec 20, 2017
Chommieblaq:

A million like for you.

Most of those English names, do we really know their origin and deeper meaning.
I will so much appreciate if you can educate me on the origin and deeper meaning of the name "Nweke"
Re: Should I Change My Surname, Please I Need Your Advice. by Phut(f): 7:32pm On Dec 20, 2017
Dremca:
I currently bear my grand-father's name as my surname "Nweke" which means "A boy born on 'eke' market day" (One of the market days in Igbo: Eke, Orie, Afor, Nkwo) It could literally mean "son of a python" (Nwa- meaning Child, Eke- meaning python). Also from my findings it is affiliated with deities which I can't deeply explain.

Imagine having kids someday and my children walk up to me out of curiosity wanting to know the meaning of my surname and it sound meaningless. So I have decided to bear my grand-father's second name which is "Laurence" (his is Lawrence) which has a better meaning and acceptance. If the surname was Eze/Obi (meaning king) or any other meaningful name, I wouldn't have bothered changing it. I want to read meaning to my names, for the fact that my family members bears same surname doesn't mean I should do the same.

I would appreciate if you guys have a diverse view of the name if is worth keeping or not.

Cc: Lalasticlala, Mynd44

Nweke is an absolutely beautiful name and you should not change it. It means child born of Eke day. If igbo’a had no concept of time and did not count the days, it would have been used against them as a sign of incivility. And here you are working over time to denigrate said culture. Just like Ghanaians name their child after days of the week: Kwame, Kojo, Akosua etc, is the same things Igbo’s do.
Nweke can never mean child of a python. Igbo names are not literal so trying to give them a literal translation is a deliberate miseducation of the masses. Also Igbo language is tonal. One word can mean several things depending on the tone in which it is said. A good example is, Akwa. So when we know what a name means metaphorically or in the context in which it was used, it is disingenuous to swap it out for similarly spelt but tonally different words.
When the colonialists came, one of the ways in which the suppressed our culture was by insisting that people be baptized with English or Latin names. The colonialists have physically left our shores but some of us are so brainwashed that we willing carry out the masters work with gusto and try to be more Western than the westerners.
What does Lawrence mean? Man from Laurent? And how is this a better meaning than Nweke?
If you are going to change your last name, change it to another traditional Igbo name. There are plenty of good Igbo names. If you choose an English name, it would be very clear what you are doing. In one or two generations (tops) your descendants through your doing, will probably be bearing English first and late names, and the Conquest would be complete!
When you live abroad and see people that have been stripped of their heritage, past and history and how bereft and rudderless they feel, it becomes all the sadder when you see Nigerians willing throw their away, for no good reason

11 Likes 5 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Is Being The Firstborn Child A Burden? Let's Talk. / BAD Parenting:black Lady With Her Baby Twerking In The Bedroom. / 100 Practical Ways To Make Your Husband Happy And Think Of You Always.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.