Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,445 members, 7,954,762 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 08:37 AM

Conversion Of Right Hand Car Drive - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Conversion Of Right Hand Car Drive (3025 Views)

Conversion Of Petrol Vehicles To CNG To Cost Between N300,000 To N600,000 – FG / The Best Place To Buy A Second Hand Car In Nigeria / What Are The Steps To Take When Buying A Second-hand Car? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Conversion Of Right Hand Car Drive by weyreypey: 8:28am On Jun 27, 2018
erico2k2:

You don't know jack shyte about it then, I thought you was going to tell me the process it might fail or what can possibly go wrong if done right or wrong, Plz when you have that info come back DOnt come and fall other people spirit when it comes to autos when you don't even know what deep socket spanner size you need to undo a 22 bolt. angry angry angry
PS: I have been converting cars since 2006 during the days of Honda bullet and 406
Oga park well. Simply put you only need a scapegoat. That your conversion that has taken years uncompleted dey dia. I don't know why you are extremely wicked like this... You just want to inflict pains on people .. avoidable pains and sorrows...
Re: Conversion Of Right Hand Car Drive by erico2k2(m): 8:32am On Jun 27, 2018
weyreypey:

Oga park well. Simply put you only need a scapegoat. That your conversion that has taken years uncompleted dey dia. I don't know why you are extremely wicked like this... You just want to inflict pains on people .. avoidable pains and sorrows...
my friend go and sit down who told you my conversion is taking yes, are you high on cheap weed??I still maintain you don't even know what the simplest of parts needed to convert a car rather you open that gutter you call mouth to knock people down who are asking genuine questions .Una go dey run mouth online.
PS, Guy you no try at all in ur 1st lines. My car is in my garage in the Uk, scheduled to be done when I have time and in Nigeria, so where you got that dream that its been in Nigeria for years I nor know, change ur weed supplier plz.

1 Like

Re: Conversion Of Right Hand Car Drive by weyreypey: 8:35am On Jun 27, 2018
erico2k2:

my friend go and sit down who told you my conversion is taking yes, are you high on cheap weed??I still maintain you don't even know what the simplest of parts needed to convert a car rather you open that gutter you call mouth to knock people down who are asking genuine questions .Una go dey run mouth online.
My friend keep quiet. Don't put others in avoidable sorrows. Yes avoidable sorrows. Whatever you think you know about conversion has been practiced by me and not for your three years counting on one vehicle..

If you cannot help others don't add to their sorrows

Re: Conversion Of Right Hand Car Drive by erico2k2(m): 8:41am On Jun 27, 2018
ebube123:
Hi, please house I want to ship right hand car drive from Ireland to Nigeria but I don't know if it will be good to do that. I will convert it to left hand drive in Naija but one of my friend told me that conversion of cars always give problem with time. Please I need advice on whether I should still carry on with the importation or not. Thanks
My honest advice, if you already own this car ie your personal car plz by all means ship your car and convert it no stress,however if you are buying to convert and use/sell, DO NOT[b][/b] Reason its not economically sensible. you will lose money better to buy a LHD frm the continent or the US mkt.
but if you insist on going fru by all means visit my page where parts where listed, you will need all that, its good practice to buy all of your parts or at least moving parts from here load in ur car B4 U ship it.The most important part you need from here is your steering rack, the pedal box and wiper motor assy plus dashboard bracket, al other parts can be gotten in Nigeria. I did a 2005 ML for my Dad frm back in the days and an RX300 for my Mum, till date both cars are rocking.
Re: Conversion Of Right Hand Car Drive by weyreypey: 8:47am On Jun 27, 2018
erico2k2:

My honest advice, if you already own this car ie your personal car plz by all means ship your car and convert it no stress,however if you are buying to convert and use/sell, DO NOT[b][/b] Reason its not economically sensible. you will lose money better to buy a LHD frm the continent or the US mkt.
but if you insist on going fru by all means visit my page where parts where listed, you will need all that, its good practice to buy all of your parts or at least moving parts from here load in ur car B4 U ship it.The most important part you need from here is your steering rack, the pedal box and wiper motor assy plus dashboard bracket, al other parts can be gotten in Nigeria. I did a 2005 ML for my Dad frm back in the days and an RX300 for my Mum, till date both cars are rocking.
Finally the sales pitch...we know.... Ebube123 take this advice if you want to end up a mechanic... The Benz marquee is complex enough with normal hand talk less of abnormal conversions...
Re: Conversion Of Right Hand Car Drive by erico2k2(m): 8:47am On Jun 27, 2018
weyreypey:

My friend keep quiet. Don't put others in avoidable sorrows. Yes avoidable sorrows. Whatever you think you know about conversion has been practiced by me and not for your three years counting on one vehicle..

If you cannot help others don't add to their sorrows
you are very stupid, does that pic not look like my garage in the UK?
why you elect to be dumb this morning I don't know, angry angry angry
U r seriously telling me no members of your household see nothing wrong with you thi morning
three years ahahaha guy nah HUNGER dey worry you I swear down, go back to my mention, we started conversion of cars on Nairaland 2007 when I did my 1st on this forum on @ promise land in ladipo 2008. beside it my interes you to know my conversion part is all bough and paid for in my car boot unlike you I have a contract to fulfil in the Uk once I have my break from wrk in aeas of two months Im taking the car with me, FYI the car is container bound in less than 2 weeks and also the parts cost more than N2 million and you think its a Joke right??
Re: Conversion Of Right Hand Car Drive by weyreypey: 8:51am On Jun 27, 2018
erico2k2:

you are very stupid, does that pic not look like my garage in the UK?
why you elect to be dumb this morning I don't know, angry angry angry
U r seriously telling me no members of your household see nothing wrong with you thi morning
three years ahahaha guy nah HUNGER dey worry you I swear down, go back to my mention, we started conversion of cars on Nairaland 2007 when I did my 1st on this forum on @ promise land in ladipo 2008. beside it my interes you to know my conversion part is all bough and paid for in my car boot unlike you I have a contract to fulfil in the Uk once I have my break from wrk in aeas of two months Im taking the car with me, FYI the car is container bound in less than 2 weeks and also the parts cost more than N2 million and you think its a Joke right??

Insults? We know your types... I am not interested in your ladipo tales... My first encounter with the promise land conversions dates earlier than you even boast of... don't add to an innocent man's problems... that's the bottom line... If you like let that be your garage in fort Knox...adonkia.
Re: Conversion Of Right Hand Car Drive by weyreypey: 9:12am On Jun 27, 2018
ebube123:
Hi, please house I want to ship right hand car drive from Ireland to Nigeria but I don't know if it will be good to do that. I will convert it to left hand drive in Naija but one of my friend told me that conversion of cars always give problem with time. Please I need advice on whether I should still carry on with the importation or not. Thanks

Read this below

Wow. You must love that car.

I'm guessing you have a car you want to take with you to a country that drives on the opposite side of the road. Is this a classic? Perhaps, because the older a car is, and/or the rarer, the likelier that someone will try this. Ouch.

The steering wheel must move, of course. Thus, so must the cutouts in the dashboard for it, the instruments and some vents. The frame supporting the dash will need modifying. Do that wrong and the car will feel like it wants to shake and shiver itself to pieces over every single bump in the road, like an old Saab convertible I once owned, a truly horrible feeling to put up with (lovely car, though). That frame is also a key to the crashworthiness of the whole vehicle, and not just in frontal impacts. How much is your life, your health or your family worth? Do it right, or not at all.

The pedals will need to move too. The brake and clutch attach to fixed objects under the hood, so either those move too, or you need adaptors to pass your pedal movements across the car without fouling anything else that's there. A small Peugeot I read about in the 90's did that, to the detriment of clutch pedal control. The pivots will need solid mounting too, so can you weld really well? Is this old car sound enough to allow you to do that?

Phew, take a breath. OK, next is the interior. BMWs build the cabin skewed towards the driver, as do many others. Passengering such a car is humbling, a reminder of how someone far more important is aboard. Bow to him/her. To NOT change all the fixtures and fittings that bring that about would feel like trying to drive with the car turning its back on you. So, dashboard, centre console, gear lever surround, mirrors and controls, seats, pedal surrounds, carpets must be added to the shopping list.

Are you still reading? Full marks for guts. The fuel filler will always be on a strange side of the car for you. The windscreen wipers will leave you horribly underserved every time you encounter wet or dirty weather, as they are biased to helping the original driver position (passengers travel 2nd class, yet again). I hope the engine and other main mechanical specs agree with the legal requirements of your destination country. Would you be able to get insurance for your Frankenmotor? It just goes on.

Some I've heard of ask a pro to at least quote. Many classics have owner's clubs and forums that distill decades of wisdom far better than this opening salvo. Don't dare go another step before trying them.

Potentially, this could cost you £€¥$(dream up a big number; no, much bigger than that one) and weeks, months or even years of delays and frustration, only to end in scrap value. I've had cars I lavished love and cash on, only for them to saunter out of my life on a flatbed. Sniff, I'm better off without them. Sniff. Do your sums first. Ask people who really know about your specific car and that specific model, year, etc. Double-check all facts. Then talk it over with a good friend. OR...you might just drive your chosen car on the wrong side of the cabin - won't kill you and gets admiring looks from those who don't understand these things, sympathetic nods from those who do. But think it through, or ye shall perish in thy temerity.

Re: Conversion Of Right Hand Car Drive by erico2k2(m): 10:31am On Jun 27, 2018
weyreypey:

Finally the sales pitch...we know.... Ebube123 take this advice if you want to end up a mechanic... The Benz marquee is complex enough with normal hand talk less of abnormal conversions...
sales grin grin grin PITCH MY AZZ, YOU THINK I SELL PARTS? grin grin
Re: Conversion Of Right Hand Car Drive by erico2k2(m): 11:06am On Jun 27, 2018
weyreypey:

Read this below
The narrative up there is of a person who is per with you ie know nothing about conversion yet went ahead to do it with ill informed adviser, who fabricates dashboard brackets?(Mine is Aluminium) you buy the brackets outright cos the angles to the bolt are pre positioned.
You do not move your pedals you buy complete LHD set of pedal box(Pedal Box for most are cast Aluminium, so cant even be bent)
Who modifies Dash board rather than buy a complete LHD dashboard
And you claim to be in the KNOW
My friend this copied article is of a person who has no clue, U could have done better!
Re: Conversion Of Right Hand Car Drive by nurey(m): 11:13am On Jun 27, 2018
erico2k2:

sales grin grin grin PITCH MY AZZ, YOU THINK I SELL PARTS? grin grin

oga you get time sha, it's this same person that wants to pour 20W50 inside W210 that you dey advice now he is an over night expert in car conversion.

don't bother arguing as the individual has like 20.monikers alone on nairaland, and can attack you left and right for your info one of the popular banned moniker then was smartchoices. grin

2 Likes

Re: Conversion Of Right Hand Car Drive by erico2k2(m): 11:28am On Jun 27, 2018
nurey:

oga you get time sha, it's this same person that wants to pour 20W50 inside W210 that you dey advice now he is an over night expert in car conversion.

don't bother arguing as the individual has like 20.monikers alone on nairaland, and can attack you left and right for your info one of the popular banned moniker then was smartchoices. grin
ok Now I see, we fit bann this one too, make him continue,
20W50 inside W210 ahahahaha my bele grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Conversion Of Right Hand Car Drive by diportivo: 1:46pm On Jun 27, 2018
this one must show himself with whatever moniker he is using grin

eriko2k2,ur level pass all this dilly-dallying.....
Re: Conversion Of Right Hand Car Drive by Nobody: 2:36pm On Jun 27, 2018
erico2k2:

ok Now I see, we fit bann this one too, make him continue,
20W50 inside W210 ahahahaha my bele grin grin grin grin grin grin
Bros na so we see am o!!! Only am create him thread dey give him own suggestions for there. No need explaining your level of
expertise to this kind person. Na dem dey use Abro as gear oil.
Re: Conversion Of Right Hand Car Drive by brojero: 3:02pm On Jun 27, 2018
Truth of the matter is that successful conversion of any car is possible if:

1. The right parts are available
2. The person carrying out the conversion has in depth knowledge of the particular model being converted
3. The car owner is ready to spend serious cash

So for someone like erico, it may not be a problem. For someone with little or no mechanical expertise, he/she is relying on the know-how of the mechanic, and that is a pure lottery

Others have said it, if you love the car, want to use it urself in naija, and are willing to spend money (E350!) , Go ahead and good luck in getting a good mechanic to do it for you.

Or, as yet others have said, save your money jejely and get an lhd from the states.

Here's a thought- sell the one you have and use the money to buy an lhd. You might even make a profit on the deal!
Re: Conversion Of Right Hand Car Drive by erico2k2(m): 3:03pm On Jun 27, 2018
dumo1:

Bros na so we see am o!!! Only am create him thread dey give him own suggestions for there. No need explaining your level of
expertise to this kind person. Na dem dey use Abro as gear oil.
come tame palm oil top am wen E short grin grin grin grin
Re: Conversion Of Right Hand Car Drive by erico2k2(m): 3:05pm On Jun 27, 2018
diportivo:
this one must show himself with whatever moniker he is using grin

eriko2k2,ur level pass all this dilly-dallying.....
bross no mind me, I get time today, its a quiet one, no call outs, so I just dey relax here for the hot weather.
Re: Conversion Of Right Hand Car Drive by Lexusgs430: 4:19pm On Jun 27, 2018
erico2k2:

You don't know jack shyte about it then, I thought you was going to tell me the process it might fail or what can possibly go wrong if done right or wrong, Plz when you have that info come back DOnt come and fall other people spirit when it comes to autos when you don't even know what deep socket spanner size you need to undo a 22 bolt. angry angry angry
PS: I have been converting cars since 2006 during the days of Honda bullet and 406

I know say ur GPS go carry you enter this thread.....
Re: Conversion Of Right Hand Car Drive by weyreypey: 5:05pm On Jun 27, 2018
brojero:
Truth of the matter is that successful conversion of any car is possible if:

1. The right parts are available
2. The person carrying out the conversion has in depth knowledge of the particular model being converted
3. The car owner is ready to spend serious cash

So for someone like erico, it may not be a problem. For someone with little or no mechanical expertise, he/she is relying on the know-how of the mechanic, and that is a pure lottery

Others have said it, if you love the car, want to use it urself in naija, and are willing to spend money (E350!) , Go ahead and good luck in getting a good mechanic to do it for you.

Or, as yet others have said, save your money jejely and get an lhd from the states.

Here's a thought- sell the one you have and use the money to buy an lhd. You might even make a profit on the deal!
And on the long run.... It's going to be cheaper buying a factory LHD. But wicked parts sellers won't allow.
Re: Conversion Of Right Hand Car Drive by weyreypey: 5:07pm On Jun 27, 2018
erico2k2:

The narrative up there is of a person who is per with you ie know nothing about conversion yet went ahead to do it with ill informed adviser, who fabricates dashboard brackets?(Mine is Aluminium) you buy the brackets outright cos the angles to the bolt are pre positioned.
You do not move your pedals you buy complete LHD set of pedal box(Pedal Box for most are cast Aluminium, so cant even be bent)
Who modifies Dash board rather than buy a complete LHD dashboard
And you claim to be in the KNOW
My friend this copied article is of a person who has no clue, U could have done better!

Little do you know...but I really don't have time for all these drama. Bye.
Re: Conversion Of Right Hand Car Drive by erico2k2(m): 5:07pm On Jun 27, 2018
Lexusgs430:

I know say ur GPS go carry you enter this thread.....
if U kno u know grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Conversion Of Right Hand Car Drive by HeavenlyBang(m): 6:20pm On Jun 27, 2018
Lol, this thread. Conversion can be done, and done right, no doubt. It is a car, after all, a mechanical contraption. If you put the right things in the right places, it will work as well as it should. Basic science.

However...
Anyone asking the OP to work on the conversion is being quite simply unhelpful. It is not worth it.
If it were a personal car you've had for years and have a vested interest in, fine, go ahead and convert it. I bet that's why Erico2k2 is converting his. Plus he already has the car, and doesn't need to shell out more cash for a new one like the OP.

But a car you plan on buying? Why? Why would you do that?
Even if done perfectly it's still more expensive than just getting the natural drive side. Please, OP, save yourself the stress. Before you come back to Nigeria, contact any trusted seller here and pre-order your E350 from the US. By the time you get here, it should have landed. You take an Uber to the dealer's place, get into your Merc, and drive off.

Why complicate your life with the conversion process?

1 Like

Re: Conversion Of Right Hand Car Drive by Vested(m): 7:05pm On Jun 27, 2018
Op,

I have a clean foreign used E320 2005 model in Nigeria right now.

You can see the ad below and contact me.
https://www.nairaland.com/4572479/toks-mercedes-e320-2005-model
Re: Conversion Of Right Hand Car Drive by HeavenlyBang(m): 7:21pm On Jun 27, 2018
Vested:
Op,

I have a clean foreign used E320 2005 model in Nigeria right now.

You can see the ad below and contact me.
https://www.nairaland.com/4572479/toks-mercedes-e320-2005-model
Convert it to the 2010 model the OP is looking for. angry

(1) (2) (Reply)

Made In Nigeria Hyundai Grand i10 [PHOTO] / The Armoured Jaguar XJ Sentinel - Official Vehicle Of The UK Prime Minister / Would You Buy This Mansion On Wheels With A Garage For £1million?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.