Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,771 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:56 AM

The Odyssey Of An African Orphan By Doose Ukange - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Odyssey Of An African Orphan By Doose Ukange (1160 Views)

First Middle-grade Mystery/detective Novel Series By An African Writer / Fighting Depression As An African / My First Story(Life of an Orphan) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Odyssey Of An African Orphan By Doose Ukange by doosebae(f): 1:47pm On Jun 26, 2018
The Odyssey of an African Orphan

Dedication

This novel is dedicated to the Almighty God, the Author and finisher of my life, the one who made it possible for me to write this book. It is specifically dedicated to all orphans who feel all hope is gone and lost but there's an assurance for you all because your Heavenly Father lives on forever.

Acknowledgement

As the saying goes " no man is an island of wisdom, knowledge nor skills " for we all need each other in our field of endeavor. I solemnly appreciate my family and loved ones who contributed massively and meagrely to this work in all aspects. I pray the Almighty God fill you all abundantly.

The Odyssey of an African Orphan by Doose Ukange
Re: The Odyssey Of An African Orphan By Doose Ukange by doosebae(f): 2:11pm On Jun 26, 2018
Good day everyone, this is my first story here so be gentle and your comments will be much appreciated.

I pledge to my country that I will complete this but you can still follow it up from my diary.

so everyone should grab a seat and free pop corn.
Re: The Odyssey Of An African Orphan By Doose Ukange by doosebae(f): 2:14pm On Jun 26, 2018
Prologue

Life is not a bed of roses but it springs up to not be fair either, the cruelty of humanity cannot be estimated nor undermined as life is as a vain course in humans quest to thrive over each other but to all these happenings is the word of God which can help us scale through in all situations and problems.

Imena faced the challenges of life with the zeal and boisterous attitude as she is born to be an orphan and fight the battle to conquer or be conquered. The thrills of her voyage unravel as she fiercely overcome obstacles mounted on her.

1 Like

Re: The Odyssey Of An African Orphan By Doose Ukange by doosebae(f): 5:16pm On Jun 26, 2018
chapter 1 - Episode 1

As she sat under her well furnished chambers with files on her desk to fill and sign, Imena could not help to think that her past was gone just as it came. Tears flooding down her cheeks formed a river at her mouth tips, but these tears now were those of joy, conquest, prosperity and fulfillment although tears she shed years back were that of agony, pains, sorrow, suffering and gloom. Imena heaved her emotions out as she said aloud " I was a zero but now am a hero, yes I rose from grass to grace and am in the judicial arm of government in my country assisting in curtailing crime and capturing justice back to my nation.

Words cannot say all but those who have been through my ordeal will bear witness to this as I faced challenges and obstacles I never thought I would overcome. Mystified about my early life, I came into the family of wonderful five girls with a lovely father and the perfect definition of love and sacrifice; my mother.

Mr Terwase and Mrs Mlumun Yange were people of proper moral and religious standards at home and in our community, for they didn't only play the role of parents along they were mentors and role models to I and my sisters. Working in the office of the Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria as a messenger my dad was paid quite well and the basic amenities of life enjoyed.

Life became loony and loopy for I and my family as the happy days took it's leave with sadness quickly settling in, the sudden illness of my Dad which many people rumored was instigated by the new wife my uncles imposed on my father in their quest for a male child was quite a blow to us. Treatment ensued and he responded to the medications really well although it took a heavy toll on the finances of the family as the petty business my Mom did to the disapproval of my Dad stood in as the source of income. Recovering from the ailment, things began to normalize and a feeling of forever happiness engulfed Imena's timid mind which totally averted her from picturing the unexpected doom.

1 Like

Re: The Odyssey Of An African Orphan By Doose Ukange by doosebae(f): 10:22pm On Jun 26, 2018
Chapter One Episode Two

The sudden illness that took over Imena's dad the next few days was baffling and fatal as he flew abroad for treatment but the health condition was adamant to all medications.

After much test and lab consultation, the diagnosis surfaced to be liver cirrhosis resulting from poisoning and as it wasn't discovered early enough, death stretched its cold and cruel hands and took my dad away from the surface of earth. I could recall a little of the happenings that day; the sadness and anguish on the faces of people at our house, the wailing and battering of curses at death, the house was filled with sincere and mocking sympathizers. Even the features of earth sympathised with us as there was a heavy rainfall in the early days of January, the gentle sun refused to shine, the beauteous and glamorous sky was engulfed in darkness. It was indeed an illuminating tunnel of events for if tears could bring back the dead,the tears shed on that day would have brought back my father.

During the sickness of my father, none of his brothers or relatives called or came to know how we were faring but immediately after the demise of my Dad, they rushed to the house in guise of sympathizers to carryout their evil quest. The crummy nature of man can never be hidden as my uncles portrayed this vile attribute of man, they declared all the properties of my Dad to be theirs as he was their brother and he had no male child. The fact that Imena's mum had no male child was rubbed in her face as she was robbed of her husband's properties.

My poor mother vehemently refused to go and reside in the village as my kind evil uncles had suggested to her. They took everything and left us to the emptiness of this world, Imena and her family relocated to the remote area from the urban one they were residents of. Trying to figure out the perfect name to ascribe to my mother seems a futile journey for she was the reflection of God to me and the perfect definition of love and sacrifice, she continued with her petty trade of selling pounded cassava (akpu), firewood and other food stuffs in the frontage of the house we rented. With the little money she raised from there, she ventured into a bigger business; sales of bush meat,dry fish, wrappers and jewelries.

All success accorded to God, the business blossom everyday and we could now afford a three square meal as well as attend one among the best private schools around our vicinity. It wasn't up to a section of schooling when Imena's maternal grandmother sent for her to come reside in Gongola state with her. Accruing to the works of God, my mom finally accepted her loss at her tender age and moved on from the sad year which made her a widow.

1 Like

Re: The Odyssey Of An African Orphan By Doose Ukange by Bluehaven(m): 3:03pm On Jun 27, 2018
Hello Doosebae, how often should we prepare ourselves to be updated on this odyssey story?
I ask because the name itself depicts LONG...so, I'm expecting TWO episodes/day till the end of the odyssey which I expect to be 363 days from now.
*winks*

1 Like

Re: The Odyssey Of An African Orphan By Doose Ukange by doosebae(f): 8:31pm On Jun 27, 2018
Chapter One Episode Three

As the saying goes, absence makes the heart grow fonder, yes it really does because I missed my sisters and my mom although I didn't lack anything while living with mama as I was fond of calling her.

It wasn't long before I started feeling I was at home again, everything I wanted I got, love, attention, food, dresses. I mean the list was endless but mama never ceased to provide as her ability was always agile, a life of comfort, enjoyment and happiness was the turn of the day for Imena. All crumbled in the twinkle of an eye as crisis ensued between the Tiv clan and the Junkun clan which could not be resolved till the then Head of State sent the military to intervene in the chaos.

Hell was let loose when Imena's people discovered that the soldiers sent had a collaboration with the Junkun clan and Fulani herdsmen and were killing them. Days became weeks, then months before God intervened and subdues the gravity of the crisis. During the running episode, mama did her best to save her children (Imena's Aunties) and her grandchildren (Imena's cousins), I was at a tender age then so I couldn't wake as swiftly as the grownups so my granny had to give me a pick back with tons of load on her head. We stayed in the bush day and night just to escape been killed by the malicious Slaughters, people who took a lot of things (mattresses, bags, clothes, food stuffs, tailoring machine etc) with their children became burden on them.

Becoming savages and scavengers, some people left their kids behind and moved on with the horde as one of the men who had abandoned his two girls muttered "when I survive we'll give birth to more girls". It was indeed an terrifying memory to remember but forever these pictures reside in my head, wandering in the bushes in the plight of running from killers we became preys to all wild animals. The night was like every other night when we'll find a quiet space although not secured but it was secluded from the limelight to avoid the killers from seeing us to lay our heads to sleep with an eye open and the other closed. I felt a slimy moving thing graze my skin by my legs but I assumed it was the fresh grasses which were watery due to the rain that fell minutes earlier. "Mama oooo", the screaming got us alarmed as we all got up to see who shouted and what happened.

1 Like

Re: The Odyssey Of An African Orphan By Doose Ukange by doosebae(f): 10:09pm On Jun 28, 2018
Chapter One Episode Four

Alas! It was Adoo my cousin sister who screamed, with a flash from the torchlight we all saw the reason for the wails. A snake was fast disappearing into the grasses but a man who was holding a machete was more swift than the serpent and so he stroke it dead.

She was treated with some herbs immediately but the leg was swelling up, we continued with the trek for survival till it was dawn before something put the walk to a halt. Nature played quiet a vital role in our escape as the trees formed canopies from the harsh weather, a woman tripped fell into a hole and all the load on her head came dashing to the ground, the banging of plates, clinching of spoons and other kitchen utensils made quite a noise. We heard a vehicle park as torches was flashed towards our direction, then the voice came;
"Who dey there?, Inyamiri na unna abi? " no one man a sound.
Even the dogs and goats that were brought along became all mute, they waited for what seemed like a decade before finally driving off.

As we trodden in the wild, Imena asked her grandma to put her down so that she would walk but whenever she did we became the last person's walking behind the group. Left with no choice she will give me a pick back again, I offered my help by wiping the sweat at her back which everyone laughed at. It was over months before we arrived at Jato-aka where our rescue was certain and we could trace our way back home. My Mom cried day and night as almost all her family members were at Gongola during the period of the crisis, she visited Ya Tamem weekly to see if we had returned. A good Samaritan was the last medium God used in showing His sovereignty to save us, the man was a driver of a big pickup truck which contained food stuffs. Seeing all the people and children by the road side he stopped and enquired where we were heading to, without much delay he ushered everyone into the truck as he zoomed off.

Immediately Imena, her grandma and cousins arrived Ya Tamem, they were informed of Imena's mum constant visit so we boarded the next bus to the city. We didn't know the way to the house properly so a lady who knew my mum guided us as we walked into the compound, seeing us my mum was dumbfounded by astonishment. Racing towards us, she embraced us like her life depended on it and the next thing was tears rolling down her face and a grin of awe. It was indeed an happy reunion bit for Imena it was a different story entirely.

1 Like

Re: The Odyssey Of An African Orphan By Doose Ukange by doosebae(f): 11:14pm On Jul 02, 2018
Chapter Two Episode one

As these events came unfolding, Imena was just pondering if things will ever be the same for her again as her Grandma left without her. Days turned weeks and then it was years of realizing, I will be living with my mom and sisters now.

The news was the best I've heard in a long while, Mama requested I come live with her at Ya Tamem. I didn't hate my family or their presence didn't suffocate me but the joy of living with mama was so ravishing that I never thought of missing my mom and sisters. Traveling with a relative from her maternal home, Imena and Doofee made the trip to Ya Tamem which their arrival was in the evening, receiving a warm reception from the habitats of this locality was another wonder. Everyone was bringing different meals as we were welcomed, mama made luam and gbodi(dried okro) soup which was garnished with dried fish, it was indeed an local but sumptuous delicacy.

How marvelous it was for Imena as she started schooling, it was a new chapter which will take a while to conclude but she was already getting acquitted with the new system. Bonding with pupils of different ethnicity and origin. Imena made friends with Alex, Ekene, Tosin, Ojone, Efua, Ifeanyi and Ify. We mingled together because we all had one thing in common which was the spirit of excellence, we were zealous to excel in our academics and the school providing such an accommodating atmosphere made us soar in our intellectual pursuit. It wasn't all about reading, writing or passing exams, St Louis primary school made a yardstick in the educational sphere in our community because aside the academic pursuit there was discipline and morality inculcated in its pupils.

I was engaged in the school sports and other extracurricular activities which enhanced my psychological and physical growth. It wasn't long before Imena became part of the system she found herself, life became fun once more as sadness and sorrow left her doorstep and happiness and joy took over the watch. The anguish and trauma of the war was far vanishing from my memory as a new dawn arose from the blues. Academically,I excelled because it was a priority to make mum happy and proud. Her endless struggle and labour to train my sisters and I shouldn't be rewarded with loot performance in school. The examination began and in a twinkling it was the day for the collection of results, I didn't know what to expect as my position but once I held my dossier in my hands I knew I was only an inch away from finding it out.

1 Like

Re: The Odyssey Of An African Orphan By Doose Ukange by doosebae(f): 11:21pm On Jul 02, 2018
Chapter Two Episode Two

In a class of thirty-two pupils, Imena emerged the sixth position which streamed tears down her cheeks because that performance didn't appeal to her not to mention making her mum proud.

Frighten and tensed, she took the result home and showed her grandma who praised her for the excellent result but urging her to work harder if she aimed for the peak. Rekindling the zeal to become the best pupil in my class, I enjoyed the holiday but anticipated more for resumption. The festive season is a remarkable period as happenings are bond to come, it was the eve of Christmas and all the Xmas groove and excitement was in the air as my mum visited home with lots of gifts and packages for granny, my sister, my cousins and myself. Mum also said my performance was remarkable but I should read more so that my results will be distinctive.

Engrossed in this fantasy of a never ending Christmas festivities, a new year hit the pathway as the with the educational section springing back on its feet. My new year pertaining my academics was to become the best in my class and outshine the first position occupant[Ifeanyi]. To my greatest dismay a new pupil named Victor was admitted into my class but my fear emerged when the assessment week began. His excellent performance threatened Imena because his academic prowess was quite distinctive, it seem a futile mission to match his scores not to mention beating it.

Picking up shattered hopes of becoming first, Imena prepared for the examination which arrived as a visitor whom was welcomed promptly by the pupils. The examination finally came to an end as all the pupils anxiously waited for their results which was to be compiled a week after the exams. As stipulated,we trooped into the school premises on the day we were informed to come receive our results,lining up according to our classes the first to third positions were called out and awarded their deserved prizes. I lost my breath when the names of pupils in primary 2 was called out, the voice of the headteacher echoed in my "In third place is Terpase Vincent, walking to the elevated ground he received his result and prize amiss the applause from pupils and teachers, second position is no other person but Ifeanyi Okey". And adjusting his stand, the headteacher continued "the first position with the highest average in the whole school which is a record that has not been experienced for a while now is a vibrant pupil, the intellectual grasp of this pupil is really commendable".

1 Like

Re: The Odyssey Of An African Orphan By Doose Ukange by Onetop(m): 3:37pm On Jul 03, 2018
doosebae:
Good day everyone, this is my first story here so be gentle and your comments will be much appreciated.

I pledge to my country that I will complete this but you can still follow it up from my diary.

so everyone should grab a seat and free pop corn.

Ehen, Wankwase u nongu. Kwagh doo sha won.

More updates

1 Like

Re: The Odyssey Of An African Orphan By Doose Ukange by doosebae(f): 11:34pm On Jul 03, 2018
Chapter Two Episode Three

This pupil is none other than Victor Orya,not hearing what was said next Imena dashed out from the line and went to the classroom.
No one noticed I was gone so I had the empty classroom to sober out my regret and failure,with a wounded spirit I consoled myself with the pathetic excuse that there was other sessions to work harder. Immediately all the pupils that performed excellently were awarded, the rest were directed to go back to their respective classrooms and receive their report cards. Imena sat at the last seat pondering what could her position possibly be now, hearing her name been called she woke up from the daze and briskly made her way to the front to receive her result.

A quick glance at the result put a weak smile on her face as she claimed the fourth position, walking out of the classroom, Ifeanyi stopped her to ask of her performance. It seemed obnoxious to Imena that he was only instigating mockery but she reluctantly showed him and he muttered words of encouragement to her but it sounded gibberish to her aural system. Giving him a faint smile she walked to the assembly ground for even the jingle of the bell couldn't hasten her steps as she stupendously strolled to stand at the end of the line. The headteacher muttered words I didn't hear clearly but I knew it was the patterned words he always gave at the end of each session.

It was always "Be obedient and respectful to your parents and elders. Make it a duty to read your books always and assist your parents during the vacation,less play more book" and ending her speech the closing prayer would be said and finally the words everyone eagerly awaited was said. "You're dismissed for the term" pupils always giggled to and fro, didn't know if it was a tradition for them to do this funny move but this time I wasn't interested to know or participate. Before stepping out of this school that placing first position was impossible for Imena,a paper was squeezed into her palm but before she looked back to discover the person, the horde of children at the gate made it a vain course.
Re: The Odyssey Of An African Orphan By Doose Ukange by doosebae(f): 11:36pm On Jul 03, 2018
Chapter Two Episode Four

Opening the squeezed and tattered paper, it read thus "you aimed for the moon but fell among the stars, you are indeed a rare female competition and I admire that".

I read it over and over again but the writings was still not fathomable to me, standing by the wall of the fence Alex came along and we exchanged pleasantries before I showed him the paper. Meekly laughing, he requested I pay him before he'll tell me who had the handwriting, with persuasion and pleading he finally spilled the beans.

"This writing is definitely that of Victor and he was asking of your position earlier think someone told him you took fourth". Imena queried" I know he was only asking so he'll mock me, not to worry am going to give him a piece of my anger now". A grip from Alex restrained Imena's intended action as he continued "don't be too hasty, he was even praising you for been the only female to come so close to being the best pupil in class and I know Victor means it".Feigning indifference, "I don't care if he means it or not but I will surely beat him next term". He let out a smile as he went on" Imena you shouldn't compete with Victor, compete with your books. I mean compete with yourself that way you'll improve, hating Victor or competing with him won't do you any good".

She walked away without saying another word but deep down she knew Alex had told her the truth and it hurt because she hated hearing the truth. Imena was like every typical girl of her age grade in Ya Tamem as all the games and village plays she was excellent at it. The holiday was brief and less eventful but as the term would resume, we always had to write the assignment I hated the most How You Spent Your Holiday.
Re: The Odyssey Of An African Orphan By Doose Ukange by doosebae(f): 9:05pm On Jul 07, 2018
Chapter 3 Episode one

As uncertain as I looked, memories kept flowing through my mind and a skeptic picture formed in my red shot eyes, this picture was that of my schooling. The holiday ended in a twinkling and the next session began with pupils roaming to and fro as the academic calendar was released. Events kept unfolding rapidly till Imena realized it was the period for promotional exams, and everyone did their best but as the saying in St Louis's primary school "failure is never our tradition, if you fail you pay" and thus the payment was dismissal as the lagging pupils were dismissed. Comically, Imena was promoted to the next class and she was placed in the A arm of primary three.

It seemed strange because we were now instructed to write with pen and no longer pencil. I was really excited even before the resumption because during the holidays, my mum visited home and showing her my result. She let out her infectious and irresistible smile with the words "Congrats my daughter, am proud of your performance." At the declaration of the words I AM PROUD OF YOU, Imena's heart leaped with joy and her elation knew no bound. She wasn't seeking some sort of recognition or approval from her mother but with her academic and moral performance she hoped to impress her and show her that her hard labor was not a vain course.

Time a factor that measures the rich, poor, happy, sad, old and young as it walked speedily, this term was a new start and a remarkable one also, primary three is a class I'll always remember. To the astonishment of some of our teachers, the class been tagged the most notorious and giddy in the entire school was also the most excellent in performances. We were a combination of all sort of obstreperous and difficult characters never the less, the belligerent and benign personalities also existed in primary three.

I drove into a mood of happiness whenever I thought of my previous classes and the anticipation of the new ones ahead. The feeling and moment experienced can never be reversed nor retraced as these two elements kept going all wrapped in the embrace of each other. In my timorous mind, I wandered off to the horizon beyond of a fairy tale life of Cinderella but the zephyr blowing from the mango tree I usually sat under always woke me up to reality.
Re: The Odyssey Of An African Orphan By Doose Ukange by doosebae(f): 9:06pm On Jul 07, 2018
Chapter 3 Episode two

Every pupil was filled with the gusto to be involved in the sport activities because of forthcoming inter house sports competition which caused quite a raucous. Practicing earnestly in their various houses, the pupils gave their all so as to emerge victorious at the end of the competition. The school which had four houses;blue house, green house, red house and yellow house mandated every pupil to belong to one house respectively. We rallied about the inter house sports competition as everyone displayed their verbal prowess in the quest to intimidate other participants.

Cordially, all hands were on desk in every house as pupils practised in diverse sports to win at the end of the competition. We practised games like: handball, volleyball, football, skipping, sack race, track racing,match pass etc. Imena belonged to the green house which was also known as St Louis's house, it was indeed an prestigious house and been on the female volleyball team, I strived to do well so that we will win the tournament. Our house master and mistress were strict personalities so we were really drilled to be good in whatever sport we were placed.

The long awaited day came and the competition kicked off as it was either a win or loose voyage for all participants. The first day was set for handball for both the male and female teams of each houses, and skipping was the last to be done. Standing on the start line with other competitors, jitters came over me as worms crapped up my abdominal region because of the nervousness. The freight was getting a better part of me but a comforting angel[Avadoo] noticed my tensed mood and whispering words of encouragement into the air and an assuring smile, my morale was boosted for victory was all I saw even before the start whistle was blown.
Re: The Odyssey Of An African Orphan By Doose Ukange by doosebae(f): 2:41pm On Jul 10, 2018
Chapter Three Episode Three

The sound of the whistle made us start the skipping,Imena was in first place but before getting to the end of the line,

Lovina from the blue house took over and as we all skipped back to the point where we had started the final whistle was blown. Breathing heavily, Imena drank water to get a hold of herself as the results were called out; green house came first,blue house in second place, red house in third place and yellow house in fourth place.

The announcement for the handball game followed after that of the skipping exercise as it went thus; yellow house emerged first, blue house second, green house third and red house fourth. And with that the activities for the day were wrapped up and we went home to prepare for the next day. The inter house sports competition however did not tamper with the academic works as it was assigned a week for all its exhibition.

Next sport was the football match as the houses were paired into batches, the red house and blue house were the batch A, green house and yellow house been the batch B. The red house won in batch A and the green house won in batch B, yellow house and blue house were to play the next day so that the third position will be determined and the red and green houses to determine the first and second position. One could not still say who the winner was at this stage of the games but the next day was going to be really revealing as pupils waited anxiously for the third day of the competition.
Re: The Odyssey Of An African Orphan By Doose Ukange by doosebae(f): 2:50pm On Jul 10, 2018
Chapter Three Episode Four

All matches been played, the volleyball was next up and in a twinkling it was also over as the results for both the finals of the football game and the volleyball were called, the green house were first in the football tournament, red house came second, blue house came third and yellow house came fourth.

The volleyball results were:male team[red, green, blue and lastly yellow house], female team[green, yellow, blue and lastly red.]

Although the event was cumbersome and tedious, all pupils collectively did their best to win and everything came to an end with the results announced; Yellow house aka St Luke's house got thirty points,Red house also called St Matthew's house got thirty-three points, Blue house also known to be St Thomas's house got thirty-six points and Green house popularly known as St Louis's house got thirty-nine points. To sum the whole alfresco event up, the pupils demonstrated all dance of victory as they heard the results on the fifth day of the competition and the sixth day was the ceremonial day to end the inter house sports competition.

The field all decorated and lovely was a site to behold as the place was in no time filled up with spectators and invited guests. A short drama performance, beauty pageant for the four houses and choreography was encumbered in the activities of the day to juice up the event. Everyone gave their best but the judges were better at deciding who the winner was and the MC's voice resounded in the open space as he called the houses to come receive their prizes. In third place was Red house, in second place was Blue house and the winner of the inter house sports competition was the Green house. With screams of jubilation, Imena and her team merried about as they walked home with their head held high and the blue house bowed their head to the tails in between their legs.
Re: The Odyssey Of An African Orphan By Doose Ukange by doosebae(f): 8:03pm On Jul 12, 2018
Chapter Four Episode One

As this feverish feeling turned out from the sports competition came to an end, the saga died off just as it began and the academic calendar resumed back with series of tests and assignments for pupils.

We all danced to the beats of the assessment week as we had done earlier to the inter house sports competition week, roaming the school premises with books in our hands we read as though our lives depended on our scores. The examination finally came and left as the vacation day surfaced, Imena and her friends did not feel the urge to go home immediately so they chatted and played all the way home. The two weeks holiday will best be described as break because it was too brief, alas the resumption bell started ringing and it was a farewell to the holidays.

On the first day of resumption, Imena dressed smartly in her new uniform,new sandals and white sparkling socks and walked elegantly to school with the zest and spirit of excellence, getting to school she exchanged pleasantries with her friends and as the bell rang we all trooped to the assembly platform. Been assigned portions to work on, we cleaned the dusty desks and seats, uprooted the grasses and scrubs around the school surrounding while others were asked to clean the staffs office,head teacher's office and the store room. Cordially we did all were mandated to do and were dismissed only to resume the next day for classes to resume.

The next day started in earnest with teachers streaming in and out of classes, the English language teacher was the first to take primary 3A and as usual the topic was How Did You Spend Your Holiday. Everyone was chipping in answers when the head teacher walked in, after greeting her, she informed us that a new pupil will be joining us. She introduced herself as Victoria Pam,taking a seat beside Imena the teacher continued with his teaching. Rebelling against the saying "don't judge a book by its cover " because only the looks on Victoria's face gave her out as the mean type, not withstanding I gave her the benefit of the doubt. It was in a twinkling before she made her mark clear to everyone.
Re: The Odyssey Of An African Orphan By Doose Ukange by doosebae(f): 8:05pm On Jul 12, 2018
Chapter Four Episode Two

Showing this hostile and superior attitude, Victoria ordered Sam to leave the seat that was meant for two pupils with the flimsy excuse that his personality nauseated her.

Ordering everyone around was the turn of the day as her beauty and chicky nature swayed pupils around her, Imena was patiently waiting for Victoria to utter a word to her so she could also unleash the little demon in her but she was dismayed as Victoria also sensed the set plan and averted it. It happened that even fate knew I could not tolerate Vicky’s attitude so she was taken to the B arm of primary three a week after she had been admitted. Time slipped away and so did the event at school, the pupils were engaged in their academics and so was the teachers in their lectures and words of encouragement and advice. Mr Ubam who was our English teacher had urged us all to study hard as the term was the period for promotional examination but only a few out of the motley number of pupils who heard the words adhered to it.

The examination began with pupils writing to the best of their knowledge as they awaited for the results when the examination ended. Finally standing on the assembly ground, the head teacher called out names of all the pupils who had performed excellently placing the first to third position from each class. The names of pupils from primary three flew out of the head teacher’s lips in a melodious tune,’’Ifeanyi Okeke in first position, in second place is Alexander Aondona, and in third place is Imena Yange’’, hearing my name being called in the third place sent chills of joy down my face as I blissfully walked to the podium to receive my prize and result. With an exultant move, my head toss the sky with an elation of partial fulfillment for the upgrade in my performance. The names of pupils from the B arm were called out thus; Victor Orya first place, Terna Inja in second place and the name of the pupil called out as the third position was still a shock to us all.

The third position was called out to be Victoria Pam, all the pupils who performed excellently were filled with happiness and laughter while reverse was the case for the ones that failed as they had to repeat the class. I gisted with my friends for a long time before we all finally parted ways for the term as we ponderously made our way home. The holiday was a long one as the whole month of August was stipulated to be our break, most of my friends travelled to various places but I did not travel because it was the season for the renowned Ubagaji market which meant time for business. Spending the holiday with my sister, cousin sisters and grandma was great as we went to the farm to cultivate the crops mama planted.
Re: The Odyssey Of An African Orphan By Doose Ukange by doosebae(f): 6:27pm On Jul 17, 2018
[quote author=Onetop post=69048860]Ehen, Wankwase u nongu. Kwagh doo sha won.

Thanks orne wink
Re: The Odyssey Of An African Orphan By Doose Ukange by doosebae(f): 6:29pm On Jul 17, 2018
Bluehaven:
Hello Doosebae, how often should we prepare ourselves to be updated on this odyssey story?
I ask because the name itself depicts LONG...so, I'm expecting TWO episodes/day till the end of the odyssey which I expect to be 363 days from now.
*winks*

It will definitely

1 Like

Re: The Odyssey Of An African Orphan By Doose Ukange by doosebae(f): 6:31pm On Jul 17, 2018
doosebae:

It will definitely be a long ride, I hope to comply with your demands smiley

1 Like

Re: The Odyssey Of An African Orphan By Doose Ukange by Bluehaven(m): 8:10pm On Jul 17, 2018
doosebae:

It will definitely
Ah!
*mouth wide open*
Can you imagine the period between when I made the request comment and your own "IT WILL DEFINITELY" comment?
This is indefinite!!!
Re: The Odyssey Of An African Orphan By Doose Ukange by doosebae(f): 9:20am On Jul 24, 2018
Chapter Four Episode Three

Whenever we went to the farm, we would only do a little farm work and run off to play for the rest of the time. From climbing of orange and mango trees to pluck their fruits to the hide and seek games was the remaining turn of events as mama would call and scream our names but with no response, she continued with her work. Days we didn't go to the market were days for marketing as we would pluck different fruits and vegetables to take it to Ubagaji market to sell to retailers. The market was full at this period of the year as people from far and near flocked the market premises with buying and selling intentions. We would sell our meagre produce and save up the money to use when we resume back to school. In the exuberance mode of the holidays, time went swiftly and the resumption bell began ringing again as all pupils prepared wholeheartedly and waited for the next few days.

Things were supposed to be moving fine for Mnena and her family as her mum did her best to provide the necessities of life for them but her feminine being would not let her handle situations like a man would do. Mrs Mlumun was doing her best to make sure her family was well catered and cared for as traveled to the close Sahara towns of zanglia and sabon tashi to buy bush meat, dried fish, wrappers and jewelries to resell back at Eggonawa town where she lived. But she had too much on her table as she struggled to foot the bills of her immediate and extended family, a month passed without her been able to pay the house rent of the one room and parlor she rented to live with her daughters. The landlord couldn't even take pity on my mother, he gave her an ultimatum to pack out of the house by that month's ending else he forces her out.

Life you're really a wonder, the night was cold as the snow and not just the weather but the situation was also cold and cruel, she had tried her possible best to raise the money for the rent but she could only get a quarter of it. The irritated and annoyed landlord brought able bodied boys to throw Mrs Mlumun and her girls out of the house, it was a rainy night at Eggonawa same here was the case of Ya Tamem as we were out staring at the waterfall wishing to go out and dance in it but forbidden to do so by our grandmother but been oblivion of the condition of my family. Mdoo, Avadoo and Ngodoo were the ones with mum outside as the rain beat them mercilessly only to remind them of the death of our father. Mum didn't tell mama of the situation she was in but the case became glaring that all was not well when we resumed for almost a month and our fees weren't paid yet.
Re: The Odyssey Of An African Orphan By Doose Ukange by doosebae(f): 9:31am On Jul 24, 2018
Chapter Four Episode Four

This was the first time in our lives that this was happening, we went to school on a Monday morning dressed neatly and smartly in our green and white checkered uniform only to be asked to go home because our fees had not yet been paid.

Doofee was two classes ahead of me but they were all on the same block so after she was sent out, she walked to my class to inform me she'll be going home only to find me outside crying. All I could utter was "I want to be in class please don't send me home" she consoled me as we trekked home to tell mama of the situation. Mama was really heartbroken because there was nothing she could do, it was the growing season and even those owing her money were adamant debtors. Cheering us up, she said she will call our mum and tell her to send the money which wiped the tears off our eyes as we dashed out to play with the other children that were sent home also.

A day became two, then three and finally it was two weeks of been at home because of nonpayment of school fees and we were hurt about it but all we could do only amounted to a quarter of one person's fees. Mama engaged us in all businesses ranging from the garri she made, we hawked the garri, firewood, kunu, boiled groundnut, boiled maize, moimoi, fruits and everything legal we could find to sell. With the continues hustle we raised quite an amount at the end of a month, paying our fees mama sent the rest of the money to my mother to assist her. Mrs Mlumun never informed her mother of the hardships she was experiencing but her silence during the demand for our fees made mama know all was not well and to conclude her guess, a family relative who was living in Eggonawa visited home and told mama of all that had transpired with my mum.

Sacrificial and loving is their nature, whatever they could do to make their children safe and catered for they'd always do it. Mama couldn't wait for the harvest season anymore as she bought almost all food stuff with the little money she had and travelled down to Eggonawa to see her daughter and granddaughters. Arriving the town in the noon of the day, she used the call center popularly known as "Phone boot" to call mum and ask of her location which amazed Mrs Mlumun greatly. Briskly getting to the park, they both board a bus to kabuma the new area my mum and siblings had relocated to, after they had settled in, mum told mama the sad tale that kept tears streaming down her face till the end.
Re: The Odyssey Of An African Orphan By Doose Ukange by doosebae(f): 12:51pm On Jul 24, 2018
Chapter Five Episode One

As heartbreaking and intolerable as the story was, mama had all the time to listen and weep with her daughter.

The night spent out in the rain with no shelter or shield to cover them from the unclothedness of the harsh and callous weather. "Mama I could not bring myself to tell you this was the situation I was in because I knew you'll be handicapped also but am sorry I couldn't call to inform you. We had to look for a new place with the little money I had left which my previous landlord had rejected and when you called concerning the children's school fees, mama I felt like leaving this world." In tears now she continued with her sad tale "my friend put me in this pathetic situation, I brought meat and wrappers worth over thousands of naira only for her to tell me the goods were stolen from her stall where I kept it". Mama felt the pain and anguish of her child and she was more embittered she couldn't help, praying with mum, she gave her the little money she had and travelled back to Yar Tamem.

It was the labour day at school and as recommended we all trooped out of our classes to the assembly ground as our portion of work was dished out by the labour master. The primary four pupils[both the A and B arm]were assigned to clear the backyard of their classrooms and afterwards clean the computer lab. Some of the pupils in primary four A were asked to go clean the computer lab while the rest of the pupils did the backyard clearing. Mnena was among those selected to clean the computer lab and the rest were; Dooshima, Ifeanyi, Usha, Efua, Korori and Adamu, done with the task we were chatting and laughing when Victoria passed by.

With a scornful stare she voiced out the reason behind her contemptuous look at us "so you're all too special to work right? You're sitting here and discussing stupid things while others are killing themselves with work." Mnena was baffled and enraged at her words and wanted retaliating but was held back by Adamu's words "Headmistress we are done with the task you've assigned to us but if you wish to give us any other task, we are ready for it". Anger turned humour, we all burst into laughter and Mnena laughed the loudest which irritated Victoria more and dashing out of the classroom in a berserk mood further ignited the laughter. Never could we imagine that the event of that day has waged a war in Victoria's heart as she sort ways to seek revenge on us.
Re: The Odyssey Of An African Orphan By Doose Ukange by doosebae(f): 4:55pm On Jul 29, 2018
Chapter Five Episode Two

It was two weeks after the incident that transpired between Mnena, her friends and Victoria but alas it wasn't a past to Victoria.

Wednesdays were carved out as the sports training day which began by 3pm till 6pm, as usual we had converged at the field waiting for our teachers to arrive as others played around and the others gisted. The death of a nice woman at Yar Tamem weighed heavily on Mnena as an unuttered depression overshadowed her, her lone and quiet state at the volleyball court attracted Ifeanyi to walk over and enquire the reason for her mood. With much persistence, Ifeanyi succeeded as Mnena told the reason for her sober mood and with his cheerful nature it took only minutes before he had Mnena laughing at his numerous jokes.

Oblivion of Victoria's presence, Ifeanyi made a comic statement about one of our teachers who was just alighting from a bike. "Uncle abee biiro ke[uncle finish my biro] has arrived o" and letting out a chuckle I remembered the origin of the name. Mr Fyemo popularly known as Uncle abee biiro ke was the social studies teacher and he gave quite a note to the pupils which made them nickname him as such. Minutes later Victoria came running towards us as she motioned to us that she had reported us to the teacher for our words and the teacher requested we see him immediately. Walking to where Mr Fyemo was, we stood fearfully as we dreaded what punishment he'll give to us. He enquired why we were standing motionlessly and telling him the reason, he laughed to stupor while retelling it to Mr Ubam.

Sternly warning us he asked us to join the other pupils as we began practice in the groups we had been divided into. As much as I tried to accept the fact that I will be playing on the same team as Victoria in the volleyball game sent oceans of resentment because of the tension she made I and Ifeanyi experience earlier. But left with no choice, Mnena played the game according to the arrangement that had been made. The scores ended at 6:3 with our team winning, we were still playing around the court after the game when it all happened.
Re: The Odyssey Of An African Orphan By Doose Ukange by Bluehaven(m): 5:26pm On Jul 29, 2018
I did not want to trespass before by having patience, but I couldn't cope and now, here I am, clicking on the Chapter FIVE Episode THREE link to keep reading.
Now, I need your advise DooseBae, should I keep to your updates on here or I move to your diary?!

1 Like

Re: The Odyssey Of An African Orphan By Doose Ukange by Bluehaven(m): 5:33pm On Jul 29, 2018
That reminds me, I'm confused on the state of this anecdote? Is it a NARRATIVE or an AUTO-BIOGRAPHY?
Re: The Odyssey Of An African Orphan By Doose Ukange by doosebae(f): 10:06pm On Aug 01, 2018
Updating here frequently is a bit of a tussle so I'll say dive into the diary and continue with the adventure wink
Re: The Odyssey Of An African Orphan By Doose Ukange by doosebae(f): 10:07pm On Aug 01, 2018
A narrative

(1) (Reply)

$500 Writing Contest!! / ***whispers From Behind - A Short Story By Dyoungstar*** / Those Three Little Words

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 186
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.