Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,211 members, 7,818,720 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:49 PM

There's No Alternative To Restructuring - Atiku Counters President Buhari - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / There's No Alternative To Restructuring - Atiku Counters President Buhari (12864 Views)

Name One Igbo Politician Committed To Restructuring And Win 100k / Herdsmen Have No Alternative, They Must Register, Says Ondo State Government / The Shortest Route To Restructuring Of Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

There's No Alternative To Restructuring - Atiku Counters President Buhari by BeeBeeOoh(m): 8:02am On Jun 27, 2018
A former Vice-President, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, on Tuesday, countered President Muhammadu Buhari’s stance on the restructuring of the country, saying there was no alternative to restructuring if Nigeria must make progress.

Atiku stated that he remained resolute in his support for the restructuring of the country, positing that there was “too much power” in the hands of the Federal Government, a situation he said had made governance in the country less competitive particularly among the states.

President Buhari had on Monday told a delegation of Urhobo Traditional Rulers and Urhobo Progress Union, who visited him in Abuja, that the calls for the restructuring of the country was parochial and laced with self-interests, hence discussions and arguments on the matter failed to capture his attention.

But the former VP disagreed with Buhari, saying that the country must be restructured for Nigeria to rapidly move forward.

Atiku spoke in Asaba, the Delta State Capital, during his consultative visit to Governor Ifeanyi Okowa and leaders of the Peoples Democratic Party in the state on his presidential ambition ahead of the 2019 general elections.

He stated that he had been in the forefront of the calls for the restructuring of the country since 2004 while still serving as VP because restructuring would bring out the best among the federating units and lead to economic development across the board.

The PDP presidential aspirant also called on the Federal Government to review the current security architecture to meet the emerging security threats in the country, adding that he would always support any cause that would move the country forward.

Atiku, who also vowed to tackle unemployment in the country when he becomes President, noted that he was in the presidential race because of his burning desire to ensure that Nigeria made progress and was united irrespective of its religious and ethnic diversity.

He decried the situation where security agencies didn’t take orders from the state governors, saying “as an individual, I don’t think this is true federalism, we must restructure the security architecture.”

He said, “I will have a very small Federal Government with powers and resources devolved to the states to manage the affairs while they pay taxes to the Federal Government. With this, each zone can survive on its own without leaning on oil money.

“I’ll create jobs; you must liberalise the economy, support the private sector, create incentives to make the private sector boom and open up the economy to foreign direct investments. The security architecture of the country must be reviewed and decentralised to meet modern-day security challenges.”

He, however, thanked the people of the Niger Delta region, particularly Okowa, for the return of peace which in turn had led to increase in oil production, appealing that the peace in the area should be sustained.

Also speaking in a similar vein, Okowa stressed that restructuring would help to resolve the myriad of challenges currently confronting the country.

“I strongly believe that the way out of the challenges of the country is to have stronger states, stronger federating units,” he stated.

http://punchng.com/atiku-counters-buhari-says-theres-no-alternative-to-restructuring/

15 Likes

Re: There's No Alternative To Restructuring - Atiku Counters President Buhari by DrGoodman: 8:03am On Jun 27, 2018
Set to take the gullible ones on another merry go round.

The land of the rising sun is better.

51 Likes 6 Shares

Re: There's No Alternative To Restructuring - Atiku Counters President Buhari by Karlovich: 8:05am On Jun 27, 2018
islamize the whole nation, jihad must prevail

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: There's No Alternative To Restructuring - Atiku Counters President Buhari by Karlovich: 8:08am On Jun 27, 2018
buhari is a blood sucking zombie, the blood he is shedding in plateau must visit his family members, useless jihadist

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: There's No Alternative To Restructuring - Atiku Counters President Buhari by izzou(m): 8:09am On Jun 27, 2018
He said, “I will have a very small Federal Government with powers and resources devolved to the states to manage the affairs while they pay taxes to the Federal Government. With this, each zone can survive on its own without leaning on oil money.

Atiku just lied with this statement.

Yes, it's a perfect idea, but how does he expect most of the 19 Northern states to survive?

11 Likes

Re: There's No Alternative To Restructuring - Atiku Counters President Buhari by brainbox80: 8:17am On Jun 27, 2018
EVERY RIGHT THINKING NIGERIAN KNOWS THIS BUT THE NORTHERN DOMINATED NASS CAN NEVER LET THIS HAPPEN AND ATIKU KNOWS THIS. WELL, A STRONG PRESSURE FROM THE SOUTH CAN TURN THE TABLE IF ONLY THEY CAN SPEAK IN ONE VOICE

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: There's No Alternative To Restructuring - Atiku Counters President Buhari by mrvitalis(m): 8:17am On Jun 27, 2018
izzou:

Yes, it's a perfect idea, but how does he expect most of the 19 Northern states to survive?
It's and obvious lie the president don't have such powers

Only the senators can let pdp sponsor the bill

1 Like

Re: There's No Alternative To Restructuring - Atiku Counters President Buhari by tashashiel(f): 8:22am On Jun 27, 2018
Atiku we know your trick
That's how buhari used change to deceive us in 2015

6 Likes

Re: There's No Alternative To Restructuring - Atiku Counters President Buhari by Paperwhite(m): 8:24am On Jun 27, 2018
Another political gimmick.

3 Likes

Re: There's No Alternative To Restructuring - Atiku Counters President Buhari by speedyGonzales: 8:29am On Jun 27, 2018
izzou:

every Nigerian state has Natural resources to survive and he will not cut everything at once. it will be gradual.

he explained it already in this video. I like his explanation but obviously when he gets into office is another business.

One thing I am convinced of, is that Nigeria needs an overhaul

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txKbxk5S-RE

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: There's No Alternative To Restructuring - Atiku Counters President Buhari by johnmartus(m): 8:55am On Jun 27, 2018
Scammer in disguise.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: There's No Alternative To Restructuring - Atiku Counters President Buhari by EmekusTHEgreat(m): 10:21am On Jun 27, 2018
If atiku gives me assurance of him sticking to his promise of restructuring then I will vote for him come 2019

22 Likes

Re: There's No Alternative To Restructuring - Atiku Counters President Buhari by oooduancalmdown: 10:31am On Jun 27, 2018
Whoever think Atiku will restructure this country is on a long thing. Nigeria will never be restructured. People only remember restructuring the country when agitating for seceesion become intense.
We have been shouting for restructuring for three years and yet no step or progress has been made...not a single one. This is because Nigerians are not sincere. Another reason is that the core North are against it.
The only option is to split the country. Splitting Nigeria is much easier than restructuring because it comes with a common goal, purpose and also has one definition. Restructuring can be defined in different ways by several people. It is ambiguous.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: There's No Alternative To Restructuring - Atiku Counters President Buhari by orisa37: 10:45am On Jun 27, 2018
Good. You are fatter than Buhari so you might like to restructure to break-even. Smart Mallam.

2 Likes

Re: There's No Alternative To Restructuring - Atiku Counters President Buhari by CodeTemplar: 10:48am On Jun 27, 2018
Buhari is a northern president.

4 Likes

Re: There's No Alternative To Restructuring - Atiku Counters President Buhari by BeijinDossier: 11:31am On Jun 27, 2018
Atiku my man. cheesy
Re: There's No Alternative To Restructuring - Atiku Counters President Buhari by Nobody: 11:32am On Jun 27, 2018
angry...... Hnmmmm ! Political Mouthering lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Re: There's No Alternative To Restructuring - Atiku Counters President Buhari by Nobody: 11:32am On Jun 27, 2018
angry grin
Re: There's No Alternative To Restructuring - Atiku Counters President Buhari by Crocky23: 11:34am On Jun 27, 2018
President Abubakar Atiku.

Let's Atikulate

2 Likes

Re: There's No Alternative To Restructuring - Atiku Counters President Buhari by zombieHUNTER: 11:34am On Jun 27, 2018
Buhari is a terrorist

Restructuring shatters all terrorists tendencies and plans

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: There's No Alternative To Restructuring - Atiku Counters President Buhari by id911(m): 11:35am On Jun 27, 2018
izzou:

How do you know he's lying dear? Atiku is pragmatic in his approach to governance. He's productive and has vast experience in human and material management. Giving each region the chance to move on its own pace will make the country move forward faster. The overcentralization of power is stiffling rapid growth and development.

Atiku has the template for the good of us all.
Think Atiku in 2019 for a prosperous future!

7 Likes

Re: There's No Alternative To Restructuring - Atiku Counters President Buhari by babadeee(m): 11:35am On Jun 27, 2018
izzou:

lie or not I need someone to bail us from this prison first cry

5 Likes

Re: There's No Alternative To Restructuring - Atiku Counters President Buhari by Billygee2u: 11:36am On Jun 27, 2018
*Senator Abaribe in Court :*

*Counsel to Abaribe :*
My lordship my client was arrested DSS and had been held incommunicado till today .

* Justice Nyako :* I did not make any order for his arrest .

*Counsel :* He was arrested days ago and brought to this court from DSS custody .

*Justice Nyako :*
You should know what to do if the man was arrested without court directive .

*Counsel :* My Lord the content of the search warrant that they brought to his (Sen Abaribe) house for search relates to this matter ( Nnamdi Kanu ) of which is under your court .

*Justice Nyako :* DSS is not an extension of this court . I did not make any order for the arrest of the surety and I don't also know why he was arrested. Those that did so should know why they did as such .

*Counsel :* My Lord , my client was to be in court today only for the agents of the state to arrest him and kept him incommunicado for days . My Lord we are talking about a Senator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

*Justice Nyako :* You know what to do in a situation like this !

*Counsel :* Even where he has been incommunicado my Lord ?.

Justice Nyako : Who brought Sen Abaribe to Court ?

*DSS Personnel :* We did my Lord .

*Justice Nyako :* Allow him access to his counsel .
For whatever reasons you arrested him , please allow him access to a lawyer of his choice .

*DSS Personnel :* Okay My Lord .

*Outside the courtroom :*

As Senator Abaribe stepped out of the Courtroom , there were over 50 journalists with various cameras waiting for him to address them .

*How Trouble started :*
The moment reporters rushed to interview Senator Abaribe, DSS personnel insisted that he must not talk .

*The Crowd of Journalists started shouting :* allow him to address the press !!

It is his right !!!

He must talk to us !!!

You can't stop him from talking to the press !!! Etc .

Then , crowd erupted into singing *" Freedom Come ooo by Struggle ooo, Freedom Come , by Struggle by Struggle , freedom Come ...!!*

As tension was building up , DSS men smuggled Senator Abaribe back to the Court to allow tension die down.

One thing here , is that he was not in Court as a result of an arraignment for any fresh allegation or case but was in Court based on the ongoing matter previously postponed to this date by Justice Nyako on a pending case involving Nnamdi Kanu .He was to come to Court from his house and not from any custody !

The question then becomes ....why the deliberate arrest and harassment of a Senator for obviously no reasons whatsoever

Me : It is now obvious that he was arrested not based on any court directives . We are losing it !
You pick a serving Senator like common criminal and kept him incommunicado because of his outspokenness .

I pity those clapping for this inept team that keep over heating the polity !

#SAYNOTOBUHARI2ndTERM

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: There's No Alternative To Restructuring - Atiku Counters President Buhari by Nobody: 11:38am On Jun 27, 2018
Since Buhari came on board, Nigeria has been failing.

Has anyone noticed that ?

1 Like

Re: There's No Alternative To Restructuring - Atiku Counters President Buhari by kjhova(m): 11:38am On Jun 27, 2018
oooduancalmdown:
Whoever think Atiku will restructure this country is on a long thing. Nigeria will never be restructured. People only remember restructuring the country when agitating for seceesion become intense.
We have been shouting for restructuring for three years and yet no step or progress has been made...not a single one. This is because Nigerians are not sincere. Another reason is that the core North are against it.
The only option is to split the country. Splitting Nigeria is much easier than restructuring because it comes with a common goal, purpose and also has one definition. Restructuring can be defined in different ways by several people. It is ambiguous.

My dear friend, I hear this talk about the core North a lot. Please where is the core North? Is this a geographical location with defined borders or is it just another one of the many nomenclatures effective for dividing Nigerians?

1 Like

Re: There's No Alternative To Restructuring - Atiku Counters President Buhari by aguiyi2: 11:39am On Jun 27, 2018
Atiku saying the right things just like Buhari did in 2015.Will he sing this same song if he wins?

1 Like

Re: There's No Alternative To Restructuring - Atiku Counters President Buhari by EnEnPeecee: 11:39am On Jun 27, 2018
this man will make a good president. pls Nigerians lets give him a trial
Re: There's No Alternative To Restructuring - Atiku Counters President Buhari by Billygee2u: 11:41am On Jun 27, 2018
johnmartus:
Scammer in disguise.
give atiku chance,he will continue to play the script of Buhari and fulanis.
they are just the same.
say no to fulani president.
to save yourself and Nigerians, you must reject any fulani presidential aspirant.
Re: There's No Alternative To Restructuring - Atiku Counters President Buhari by irepnaija4eva(m): 11:41am On Jun 27, 2018
RESTRUCTURING......
1.. EACH STATE SHOULD GENERATE THERE OWN ELECTRIC POWER.

2. STATE POLICE...

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

PDP Appoints Senator Danbaba As Deputy Minority Whip / Over 1000 APC Members Defect To PDP In Sokoto (Pictures) / PDP To Declare New PDP Lawmakers’ Seats Vacant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.