Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,634 members, 7,813,092 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:54 AM

IGTV Launch, Should Youtube Be Worried? See Full Review. - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / IGTV Launch, Should Youtube Be Worried? See Full Review. (19470 Views)

Instagram Released IGTV — A New App For Watching Long Created Videos / Tecno Spark K7 Full Review: Cheap Does Not Always Mean Crab!!! / TECNO Spark Full Review, Specifications And Price (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

IGTV Launch, Should Youtube Be Worried? See Full Review. by TechCapon(m): 1:10pm On Jun 27, 2018
@TechCapon

YouTube is owned by Google and it’s the second most visited website in the world after Google according to Alexa, YouTube is also the second best search engine in the world after Google. Instagram however is 13th most visited website in the world and just hit one billion active users, it is owned by Facebook which is the 3rd most visited website in the world after YouTube. Young people all over the world are spending less time on TVs and spending more time on their smartphones so the battle to bring the best video service to the smartphones is very tough. Now YouTube has really stood the test of time from strong competitions such as Vimeo and so on but the truth is that no one can stay on top forever. One day, a strong rival will take the top spot.

This brings us to the main point of this topic. Recently Instagram announced the birth of it’s video sharing platform that will allow users share videos up to one hour long and it is called IGTV (Instagram television). This announcement is posed a big threat to YouTube as Mark Zuckerberg launched IGTV to be the biggest rival to YouTube at the moment and YouTube have every reason to be worried. This is good news to aggrieved YouTube users as YouTube has been heavily accused of foul play and cheating users on payments and so on. You’ll recall that an Iranian woman launched a Suicide attack on YouTube headquarters this year for the same reason. It’s really good to be able to have a strong rival to YouTube that’ll make them humble. Inasmuch as I welcome the birth of IGTV with open arms, I’ll also warn you, don’t be too excited about it yet!

My reasons and observations.

1. Monetization.

It’s never a good idea to put all your eggs in one basket that’s why a lot of YouTube users are also going over to IGTV, checking out the new features but IGTV doesn’t have a cut out monetization feature like YouTube yet. However I think it’s because it’s still new and will probably work on that feature for it’s content creators because that feature is what will really make YouTube users to decamp to IGTV in their millions. I’m very sure that feature will be perfected in the near future.

2. Portrait mode vs landscape mode.

While YouTube’s full screen mode allows you to watch your videos in landscape mode, IGTV forces it’s users to watch the videos in portrait mode. Believe me I really hate that feature and hope Instagram developers change it fast because a lot of viewing angles are lost while watching videos with your phone in potrait mode. Imagine if your TV at home has a vertical shape. Rubbish!

3. Data and battery consumption.

I also observed that IGTV consumes more data and battery life than YouTube. Why this is so I really can’t tell but that’s the way it is. If you want to spend a lot of time watching videos on IGTV, you can as well plug your phone at the same time and also be ready to spend more money on data.

4. Search engine optimization.

YouTube is the perfect video searching platform for now, even a kid knows how to search videos on YouTube. IGTV for now has not really perfected that feature because I still find it a little difficult to find videos on it. I’m sure they’re still working on it. It’s still a new born baby remember?

My verdict

I’m really happy with the birth of IGTV as it will definitely make YouTube humble, create competition and take away the monopoly of YouTube, I firmly believe that for now YouTube is the king. However it should not be too comfortable because with millions of people also decamping to IGTV, it’s only a matter of time before we’ll know if YouTube can remain on the throne. IGTV has come to stay and they’re going to keep working on it to make it feel like YouTube or even better but for now YouTube is the winner!

Do you think IGTV has what it takes to overthrow YouTube as king of video app? Tell us in the comment section.

SOURCE:http://techcapon.com/igtv-launch-should-youtube-be-worried-see-full-details/

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: IGTV Launch, Should Youtube Be Worried? See Full Review. by Benjaniblinks(m): 1:31pm On Jun 27, 2018
For The Very First Time, FTC In 4yrs.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: IGTV Launch, Should Youtube Be Worried? See Full Review. by dominique(f): 2:58pm On Jun 27, 2018
Zuckerberg wants to dominate all aspect of social media sha.

55 Likes 6 Shares

Re: IGTV Launch, Should Youtube Be Worried? See Full Review. by NaijaTechnician(m): 3:20pm On Jun 27, 2018
dominique:

My boss I hail oooo. How is today ma?
Re: IGTV Launch, Should Youtube Be Worried? See Full Review. by dominique(f): 3:34pm On Jun 27, 2018
NaijaTechnician:

My boss I hail oooo. How is today ma?

I'm fine sir, I dey hail too o smiley

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: IGTV Launch, Should Youtube Be Worried? See Full Review. by Harryfrosh: 3:51pm On Jun 27, 2018
The way in which igtv consume data is too much

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: IGTV Launch, Should Youtube Be Worried? See Full Review. by anochuko01(m): 5:19pm On Jun 27, 2018
I dont do IG coz of data consumption. and their now bringing igtv.
all the best

7 Likes

Re: IGTV Launch, Should Youtube Be Worried? See Full Review. by NaijaTechnician(m): 7:35pm On Jun 27, 2018
dominique:

I'm fine sir, I dey hail too o smiley
Thanks hard working Moderator smiley smiley
Re: IGTV Launch, Should Youtube Be Worried? See Full Review. by Nobody: 8:29pm On Jun 27, 2018
My own is that they could not make up a better name than IGTV?

Nonsense!

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: IGTV Launch, Should Youtube Be Worried? See Full Review. by Naijawebmaster: 8:33pm On Jun 27, 2018
YouTube will still remain KING.

Need a reliable and professional website design? Then check my signature No advance payment required

4 Likes

Re: IGTV Launch, Should Youtube Be Worried? See Full Review. by TechCapon(m): 9:48pm On Jun 27, 2018
dominique:
Lol. I tell you
Re: IGTV Launch, Should Youtube Be Worried? See Full Review. by Nobody: 9:59pm On Jun 27, 2018
TechCapon you just wanna blog and raise funds, you don't even care to check your mentions. You just wanna post your opinion and hang-up. You posted an article about China trade vs Trump policy yesterday if I'm not mistaken, people were saying their thoughts but you typed nothing to backup your claims. I dislike biased writers, it makes one look unintelligent. Thank you.

15 Likes

Re: IGTV Launch, Should Youtube Be Worried? See Full Review. by abumeinben(m): 12:07am On Jun 28, 2018
I see.

The report is there that late teens are leaving Facebook for other platforms as it's becoming boring or so. I visited Facebook last in January or Dec last year. I don't have Instagram account and so are many others who're staying away from social media sickness. Besides, igtv, sounds like igede tv lol, is entertainment, YouTube is YouTube! Just like Facebook is people, places and events, Google search is Google search! When it comes to storage, Google!

Please don't compare igtv to YouTube, maybe Vevo, Vimeo, Vine, Netflix or Nollywood angry

Just imagine Google say they don't want all Facebook products and acquisitions on Android anymore, even with OEMs.

But change is everything!

4 Likes

Re: IGTV Launch, Should Youtube Be Worried? See Full Review. by TechCapon(m): 7:46am On Jun 28, 2018
androidroot:
TechCapon you just wanna blog and raise funds, you don't even care to check your mentions. You just wanna post your opinion and hang-up. You posted an article about China trade vs Trump policy yesterday if I'm not mistaken, people were saying their thoughts but you typed nothing to backup your claims. I dislike biased writers, it makes one look unintelligent. Thank you.
I'm sorry bro, didn't mean it like that. Problem is I get too many mentions but I'll try to respond. Your moniker is funny though cheesy
Re: IGTV Launch, Should Youtube Be Worried? See Full Review. by wonuks(m): 9:30am On Jun 28, 2018
cheesy
Re: IGTV Launch, Should Youtube Be Worried? See Full Review. by SalamRushdie: 9:34am On Jun 28, 2018
Good review
Re: IGTV Launch, Should Youtube Be Worried? See Full Review. by shugacain: 9:35am On Jun 28, 2018
How to make money on IGTV, please guys buy my book grin
Re: IGTV Launch, Should Youtube Be Worried? See Full Review. by Dutchey(m): 9:37am On Jun 28, 2018
youtube for life
Re: IGTV Launch, Should Youtube Be Worried? See Full Review. by OhiOfIhima: 9:39am On Jun 28, 2018
anochuko01:
I dont do IG coz of data consumption. and their now bringing igtv.

all the best
Same brother, I opted out from IG because their data utilization is second to none. Now. IGTV, oyo for them

2 Likes

Re: IGTV Launch, Should Youtube Be Worried? See Full Review. by Nobody: 9:41am On Jun 28, 2018
dominique:

Jeff Bezos: Zuckerberg , what do you want to do tomorrow night?

Zuckerberg: Try to take over the world social media

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: IGTV Launch, Should Youtube Be Worried? See Full Review. by Realdeals(m): 9:42am On Jun 28, 2018
Mark Zukerberg is stingy, what are his plan for publishers?
Re: IGTV Launch, Should Youtube Be Worried? See Full Review. by jaxxy(m): 9:44am On Jun 28, 2018
Let him try bt YouTube isn't snapchat u can just push to the side by copying their features
Re: IGTV Launch, Should Youtube Be Worried? See Full Review. by ikorodureporta: 9:44am On Jun 28, 2018
smiley
Re: IGTV Launch, Should Youtube Be Worried? See Full Review. by naijacentric(m): 9:47am On Jun 28, 2018
Devil is a liar dis distractions are too much how would i connect wit my inner man
Re: IGTV Launch, Should Youtube Be Worried? See Full Review. by stat(m): 9:49am On Jun 28, 2018
Well I Believe IGTv still has potential of Hitting Youtube real hard ....Remember it is a social place where people share their stuff and do not forget creating a channel is as easy as anything unlike youtube and IGTv gives instant notification informing your followers you have a new content.

Talking About Monetization: Hmmm! ask Gram Infleuencers How Much They Charge...You Go Fear

But Whether Youtube or IGTv, kobodata.com is always ready to provide Mobile Data At Affordable Prices Across All Networks

1 Like

Re: IGTV Launch, Should Youtube Be Worried? See Full Review. by henry007(m): 9:50am On Jun 28, 2018
I don't think it can match youtube until it's search engine optimized and monetized
Re: IGTV Launch, Should Youtube Be Worried? See Full Review. by olowobaba10: 9:59am On Jun 28, 2018
IF IT'S NOT YOUTUBE, IT'S NOT YOUTUBE.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

NIN: NCC Denies Mass Disconnection Of Telephone Lines / Glo Settings For Iphone / The New Itel Star 200 Powerbank

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.