Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,878 members, 7,841,297 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 06:41 AM

Yoruba Will Determine The President Come 2011- Obasanjo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yoruba Will Determine The President Come 2011- Obasanjo (688 Views)

7 Igbos Who Could Be President Come 2019 / Yoruba Will Not Like This (pic) / Lagos 2015: Non-Yoruba Will Be Governor. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yoruba Will Determine The President Come 2011- Obasanjo by AloyEmeka5: 3:33pm On Jun 07, 2010
S/West 'll dictate direction in 2011 -OBJ
Written by Taiwo Adisa and Dare Adekanmbi
Monday, June 7, 2010

FORMER president of Nigeria and chairman, Board of Trustees of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Chief Olusegun Obasanjo , on Sunday, said the South-West geopolitical zone would dictate national direction in next year's presidential election.

advertisement

Obasanjo made the remarks at the civic reception organised for Senator Jubril Martins-Kuye, at Abusi Edumare Academy, Ijebu-Igbo, Ogun State, on his recent appointment as the Minister of Commerce and Industry.

According to the former president, "the South-West has always given the national political direction and this will not change. The PDP in the zone will sit down, brainstorm and come out with a position in respect of a presidential candidate in 2011. And when the time comes, I know you will follow your leaders. They have never dictated a wrong direction for you."

While acknowledging that the party had crises to resolve at the zonal and the national levels, he expressed the optimism that they would be overcome and the party would come out strong and formidable.

In his own speech at the event, former governor of Oyo State, Dr. Omololu Olunloyo, said the PDP should give President Goodluck Jonathan the ticket to run in 2011, adding that the zoning arrangement in the PDP's constitution was not in consonance with the country's constitution.

The PDP chieftain stressed that what is good for the party might not be good for the nation, urging members to allow President Jonathan continue to rule the nation beyond 2011.

Said Olunloyo: "Our party, PDP, has a rule in its constitution, but which is not in the country's constitution. What is good for the PDP may not be good for the country. Our party will take a decision that will not jeopardise the interest of the nation."

"Jonathan is not using Yar'Adua's ticket. It is his (Jonathan's). He was deputy governor in Bayelsa and later governor, vice-president, acting and now president. The PDP should allow him to continue in office.

"Chieftains of the party should ensure that what PDP is made to tailor its steps towards the good of the country and not the wish of the party.

"There is a big problem before the PDP and by extension, Nigeria. Only elders and chieftains of the party like Chief Obasanjo and others can help us tackle the problem. The country must not be allowed to drift to precipice."

Corroborating Olunloyo, Senator Lekan Mustapha added his voice for the discarding of the zoning formula as he declared that what the party had in 1999 was not zoning but power shift arrangement.

The Ogun-East senator explained that then, power shift policy was adopted as a child of necessity in the face of the prevailing political circumstances in the country at that time.

"Power shifted to the South-West then, when Chief Obasanjo became president. Now, any of the zones is entitled to take a shot at the presidency," he said.

Meanwhile, Bauchi State governor and son-in-law to the late President Umaru Yar'Adua, Mallam Isa Yuguda, declared at the weekend that zoning arrangement for elective positions is unconstitutional, just as he added that only God makes leaders.

The governor, who spoke with newsmen in Abuja, said that though politicians often referred to a gentleman's agreement, the constitution does not recognise such an agreement.

"As I said, God has already made His own leader and the constitution has provided for people to contest election. The constitution has not provided for zoning and if there is a gentleman's agreement in parties where zoning is agreed, it's not constitutional as far as I'm concerned and if they want to adhere to it, so be it.

"But I believe that leadership is from the Almighty, zoning or no zoning. Supposing I have not defected to the PDP, you will not ask me that question because ANPP has no issue of zoning.

http://odili.net/news/source/2010/jun/7/607.html
Re: Yoruba Will Determine The President Come 2011- Obasanjo by gogo123: 3:53pm On Jun 07, 2010
The Yoruba peril is here, bring me my AK
Re: Yoruba Will Determine The President Come 2011- Obasanjo by yemmight(m): 4:35pm On Jun 07, 2010
After he ruled 4 eight 8 years plus additional 4 years Yaradua/Jonathan regime without any achievement. God will save us from this evil.
Re: Yoruba Will Determine The President Come 2011- Obasanjo by AloyEmeka5: 3:25am On Jun 08, 2010
gogo123:

The Yoruba peril is here, bring me my AK
LWKMD grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Yoruba Will Determine The President Come 2011- Obasanjo by Nobody: 5:14am On Jun 08, 2010
yorubas have entered gau ie trouble.

no leader again.

make everybody operate at im village level.
Re: Yoruba Will Determine The President Come 2011- Obasanjo by EzeUche(m): 5:16am On Jun 08, 2010
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

What?

OBJ has lost his mind!

Shall we Igbos join the North again to thwart the Yoruba?
Re: Yoruba Will Determine The President Come 2011- Obasanjo by yemmight(m): 11:56am On Jun 08, 2010
EzeUche:

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

What?

OBJ has lost his mind!

Shall we Igbos join the North again to thwart the Yoruba?

Because of OBJ, u want to join the North, are you making any sense?
Re: Yoruba Will Determine The President Come 2011- Obasanjo by AloyEmeka5: 1:44pm On Jun 08, 2010
yemmight:

Because of OBJ, u want to join the North, are you making any sense?
LWKMD grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Yoruba Will Determine The President Come 2011- Obasanjo by deb(m): 1:56pm On Jun 08, 2010
OBJ is speaking for himself not the yorubas. We don't even like him in Yourba land he's always been a basta[i]r[/i]d
Re: Yoruba Will Determine The President Come 2011- Obasanjo by babatee4all(m): 2:06pm On Jun 08, 2010
u r rit bro basterd is an understatement is a confirmed animal

(1) (Reply)

How Do We Divided The Military If Nigeria Break Up Make Suggestion / Ibb: Why I Was Not At Eagle Square / 10 Things You Can Learn From A Nigerian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.