Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,824 members, 7,820,893 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:54 AM

Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. - Culture (99) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. (244779 Views)

Why Dont Yorubas Claim Istekiri, The Way Igbos Claim Ikwerre, Delta Igbo? / Delta Igbo,bendel Igbo,ikwerre Igbo,do They Really Matter To The Igbo Nation? / Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (96) (97) (98) (99) (100) (101) (102) ... (111) (Go Down)

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Idunobaehis(m): 2:28pm On Oct 10, 2013
revolt: bia my deluded brother you are def not igbo, just don't drag the rest of nwafors in anioma wif u! Any TIv tht leaves his Tiv name and spks hausa and bears a hausa name has bcome assimilated into hausa. As long as u refused to drop our names and culture yet deny the identity ure esatz igbo. Is it by force to maintain igbo culture(tht u so hate) go edo plsss lve other pure nwafors alone. Agbota... Hasn't answered my question where Nzeogwu (that caused our greatest pogroms) was from.
point of correction, among all the northern tribes, it's only the Idomas and Tivs that don't speak hausa in their communities. Any Tiv person speaking hausa must've learned it outside, just as Igbo man speaking hausa too. Secondly, they don't bear hausa names neither are they assimilated by hausa in any way. People call them hausa just because they are from northern nigeria. They now accept the hausa tag not becos they like it, but becos they know that no matter how they tried to prove they are not hausa the people will not change their stance becos they have already made up their mind that they are hausa, so they pretend they dont mind, but they do mind. That is how it is with some Ikas that do not say they are not Igbo when people say they are Igbos.

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Afam4eva(m): 3:27pm On Oct 10, 2013
Idun'oba ehis:

point of correction, among all the northern tribes, it's only the Idomas and Tivs that don't speak hausa in their communities. Any Tiv person speaking hausa must've learned it outside, just as Igbo man speaking hausa too. Secondly, they don't bear hausa names neither are they assimilated by hausa in any way. People call them hausa just because they are from northern nigeria. They now accept the hausa tag not becos they like it, but becos they know that no matter how they tried to prove they are not hausa the people will not change their stance becos they have already made up their mind that they are hausa, so they pretend they dont mind, but they do mind. That is how it is with some Ikas that do not say they are not Igbo when people say they are Igbos.
So, why are you trying to compare the TIVS and the Ikas? The TIVS don't speak Hausa as their native language but the Ikas do. The Ikas bear Chukwuemeka but the TIVS don't bear Hausa names.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by revolt(m): 5:34pm On Oct 10, 2013
Afam4eva:
So, why are you trying to compare the TIVS and the Ikas? The TIVS don't speak Hausa as their native language but the Ikas do. The Ikas bear Chukwuemeka but the TIVS don't bear Hausa names.
his illlustrative analysis of the aforementioned is brain draining and lacks rationality. I don't knw how the dude finks! we've agreed he's not igbo! So he shul drop our cultural affiliations, but e no gree ...... He's a negro claimin white! Remember Samuel l Jackson in django
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by OneNaira6: 7:31pm On Oct 10, 2013
sonya4all: @ one naira. you are either dumb or a selective amnesia patient. never has any ika person included you and your deluded likes in the discussion about ika. stop being silly.. you are neither from ika north nor south, hence I see no reason for your stupid accusation of aligning your area to ika.. certainly you are an igbon. that's Why you plead for relevance and incorporation into the igbo label... no one is dragging you into ika OK?? .ikas are proud of their culture and heritage.

I see you have a reading comprehension problem like your 1diot brother that thought I said aniocha/oshmili are part of ika. How dumb are you people really? When did I align my region to ika? Who in their natural mind would. Take a look at Ikaland, why would anyone with a better background want to align that sh1t. I blame SE because them arguing with una makes una think your area is something worth fighting for, instead of the piece of sh1t it really is. Are you high?
Since your common sense can't grasp what it read, let me make it simple for you.
When I said "drag us into this ish", I meant when your useless brothers leave talking about ika to talking about everyone, including my own region, which you lot have done multiple of times since una invaded this topic.
Secondly, where in the heck have i ever, me, one_naira, ever claimed to be from ika? Provide it Now!!!! I'm not from ika at all. I scream that sh1t loud and everyone know where it is I'm from. My pride of my origin is evident cause it oozes in me. I don't want to be from your region, no oshmili, anoicha or any anioma at all wants to be from Ikaland; the only people that wish to be from ika are ika people. I find your area useless to be honest. So don't you insulting me by think I remotely give a f2k about una. I'm just here to knock some lies down and I'll continue to do it anytime you disgrace lie.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Idunobaehis(m): 9:34pm On Oct 10, 2013
revolt: his illlustrative analysis of the aforementioned is brain draining and lacks rationality. I don't knw how the dude finks! we've agreed he's not igbo! So he shul drop our cultural affiliations, but e no gree ...... He's a negro claimin white! Remember Samuel l Jackson in django
i'm not comparing Ika with Tiv but only pointing out how entirely diferent ethnic groups are lumped together in one umbrella out of ignorance. It doesnt matter if some ignorant people see us as Igbo, cos there are lots of many unbiased and knowledgeable people out there that know the difference between Igbo and Ika and I have met many, even igbos are among them

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by revolt(m): 10:01pm On Oct 10, 2013
Idun'oba ehis:

i'm not comparing Ika with Tiv but only pointing out how entirely diferent ethnic groups are lumped together in one umbrella out of ignorance. It doesnt matter if some ignorant people see us as Igbo, cos there are lots of many unbiased and knowledgeable people out there that know the difference between Igbo and Ika and I have met many, even igbos are among them
if ur username is truly ur language(idun oba ehis) then ure def not igbo! If thts wht u call ika den ure right jes dnt bring in uches emekas okes okochas etc into ur clan!

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by ChinenyeN(m): 2:46am On Oct 11, 2013
Of all the cases of "Igbo" tag desertion, that of the Anioma will always be the most entertaining to me. At first, I found it perplexing, then annoying. Now, it's simply entertaining. Unlike the SE, in which the overwhelming majority of groups/communities claim no ancestral affiliation with Nri, the traditions of a striking number of Anioma communities recognize Nri (and also Isu) among its founding elements. It's funny to me how the Anioma can forever throw a tantrum whenever people "confuse" them as being Igbo, yet their founding traditions have sealed their fate by associating them with the one community that has become the very academic definition of "Igbo".

6 Likes

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by igboboy1(m): 8:50am On Oct 11, 2013
ChinenyeN: Of all the cases of "Igbo" tag desertion, that of the Anioma will always be the most entertaining to me. At first, I found it perplexing, then annoying. Now, it's simply entertaining. Unlike the SE, in which the overwhelming majority of groups/communities claim no ancestral affiliation with Nri, the traditions of a striking number of Anioma communities recognize Nri (and also Isu) among its founding elements. It's funny to me how the Anioma can forever throw a tantrum whenever people "confuse" them as being Igbo, yet their founding traditions have sealed their fate by associating them with the one community that has become the very academic definition of "Igbo".

chai nne e ma akukwo..biko ka unu kupuru ya aka...

dont mind that immigrant to igbo land...
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Nobody: 9:07am On Oct 11, 2013
Typical Nsukka names:

1)Asogwa (name is of Igala origin, corruption of 'Achogwa)

2) Asadu (also of Igala origin, corruption of 'Achadu)

3)Onoja (Igala origin)

4) Oboli (Igala origin)

5) Idoko (Igala origin)

6) Attah (Igala origin)

7)Ozioko (Igala origin)

coolObeta (Idoma name)

9) Ene/ Eneja/ Eneje (Idoma or Igala; not sure which)

10) Omeje (Igala)

11) Obaje (Igala)

12) Ocho (Igala)

13) Momoh/ Mamah ( 'northern' name; believed to be a corruption of the Muslim name Momodu/ Mamadu, ultimately from Muhammed)

et cetera, et cetera.

When two or more different ethnic groups have lived side by side for centuries such borrowings are inevitable. The Nsukka people borrowed heavily from Igalas and Idomas. The same way the Ikas borrowed heavily from the Bini. An interesting question would be: Why has the former embraced/retained the 'Igbo' tag and the majority of the latter haven't?

Personally, I think it is about geopolitical boundaries. If the Nsukka area had been carved into the North-Central geopolitical zone, they would probably have their own 'We re not Igbos' ideology by now.

In any case, like I have always said, this issue has been overflogged. I dont know why the SE Igbos still get hot over it whenever it comes up.

2 Likes

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Nobody: 4:12pm On Oct 11, 2013
It's not like Igbos get mad for nothing when Aniomas deny their origin.

We just wished they would have claimed responsibility for the 1966 coup and spared the lives of Igbos who died thinking that they shared the same destiny.

Radoillo: Typical Nsukka names:

3)Onoja (Igala origin)

4) Oboli (Igala origin)

5) Idoko (Igala origin)

6) Attah (Igala origin)

7)Ozioko (Igala origin)

coolObeta (Idoma name)

10) Omeje (Igala)

11) Obaje (Igala)

12) Ocho (Igala)

13) Momoh/ Mamah ( 'northern' name; believed to be a corruption of the Muslim name Momodu/ Mamadu, ultimately from Muhammed)

et cetera, et cetera.

When two or more different ethnic groups have lived side by side for centuries such borrowings are inevitable. The Nsukka people borrowed heavily from Igalas and Idomas. The same way the Ikas borrowed heavily from the Bini. An interesting question would be: Why has the former embraced/retained the 'Igbo' tag and the majority of the latter haven't?

Personally, I think it is about geopolitical boundaries. If the Nsukka area had been carved into the North-Central geopolitical zone, they would probably have their own 'We re not Igbos' ideology by now.

In any case, like I have always said, this issue has been overflogged. I dont know why the SE Igbos still get hot over it whenever it comes up.

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 5:31pm On Oct 11, 2013
revolt: bia my deluded brother you are def not igbo, just don't drag the rest of nwafors in anioma wif u! Any TIv tht leaves his Tiv name and spks hausa and bears a hausa name has bcome assimilated into hausa. As long as u refused to drop our names and culture yet deny the identity ure esatz igbo. Is it by force to maintain igbo culture(tht u so hate) go edo plsss lve other pure nwafors alone. Agbota... Hasn'ta answered my question where Nzeogwu (that caused our greatest pogroms) was from.

are we still talking of forgone alternatives like agbontea and his co travellerslike sony but they are not igbo but stole are culture and i do know they are offsprings of immigrant slaves but we do have nwafors
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by bigfrancis21: 11:39pm On Oct 11, 2013
Radoillo: Typical Nsukka names:

3)Onoja (Igala origin)

4) Oboli (Igala origin)

5) Idoko (Igala origin)

6) Attah (Igala origin)

7)Ozioko (Igala origin)

coolObeta (Idoma name)

10) Omeje (Igala)

11) Obaje (Igala)

12) Ocho (Igala)

et cetera, et cetera.

That is a nice expose you got up there.
However, I beg to differ with you on some of the surnames you posted up there claiming they are of Igala origin. I don't think all those surnames listed out there are non-Igbo. I spent 6 long years in Nsukka(I went to UNN) and I'm conversant with typical Nsukka surnames, such as Ugwuanyi, Idu, Onyishi, Ugwuagbo, Obe, Obetta, etc and including the ones you wrote up there. While I agree that some of the names are of foreign origin, for example, Attah, some others are typical Igbo names with Igbo meanings. I had a roommate in my second year when I was living in the hostel(Room 314 Alvan Ikoku Hostel) from Udi LGA Enugu state whose surname is Ozioko. Note that Udi isn't anywhere close to Nsukka or Igala land and is closer to Oji River LGA and Anambra. My former landlady of my BQ in my 4th year was 'Madam Eneh' and she is from Oji River LGA. I know several other 'Enehs' from Enugu state.

According to Igbo Nri origins, Eri bore Nri, and Nri had 5 children I think - 4 boys and a girl. One of the sons was called Onoja Oboli he is said to be the father of the Igalas. Clearly, Onoja Oboli was of Igbo origin, and not Igala. Which then means Onoja and Oboli are authentic Igbo names. I have a friend who graduated from Biochemistry, class of 2012, from Anambra state whose surname is Oboli and he grew up in Onitsha.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nri-Igbo

Omeje is a popular Nsukka surname and I know so many people who go by that name, the pronunciation(ome eje) which sounds Igbo to me and gives off the meaning 'the doer of eje', the Eje which I don't know its meaning.

Asogwa isn't of Igala origin. It is an authentic Igbo surname. There are so many Asogwa families right here in Imo state where I'm currently staying. I personally know one Barrister Asogwa from Imo state who works in FUTO. Never in the annals of history has it been recorded that Imo people had migrations from Igala land.

Nsukka people usually call themselves by, 'Nsukka Asadu', I can't say which origin Asadu comes from and they greet themselves with 'Deeje'(notice the same 'Eje' here again). They call God, 'Ezechite Oke Abiama' and they believe they are descendants of Nri who they call 'Ishi' or 'Nshi' in their dialect and it is reflective in their surnames such as 'Onyishi', meaning 'Onye Nri' or 'Nri person'. For example, the owner of the popular Peace Park Transport Motors, 'Maduka Onyishi', who is from Nsukka.

I had a coursemate whose surname is 'Idoko', and I also can't say which origin it comes from. I also have another friend whose surname was 'Obetta'. I also cannot tell whether its Igbo or not.

However, I can comfortably say that Attah and Attama used in Nsukka are of Igala origin. Attama means 'chief priest' and is of Igala origin. While 'Attah' is a surname. Maybe Idoko, Momoh and Obaje too . I never came across the name 'Ocho' during my entire stay in Nsukka land.

You seem to have a deep knowledge of common Nsukka names and words. Are you by chance from Nsukka?

2 Likes

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Nobody: 12:46am On Oct 12, 2013
bigfrancis21:

That is a nice expose you got up there.
However, I beg to differ with you on some of the surnames you posted up there claiming they are of Igala origin. I don't think all those surnames listed out there are non-Igbo. I spent 6 long years in Nsukka(I went to UNN) and I'm conversant with typical Nsukka surnames, such as Ugwuanyi, Idu, Onyishi, Ugwuagbo, Obe, Obetta, etc and including the ones you wrote up there. While I agree that some of the names are of foreign origin, for example, Attah, some others are typical Igbo names with Igbo meanings. I had a roommate in my second year when I was living in the hostel(Room 314 Alvan Ikoku Hostel) from Udi LGA Enugu state whose surname is Ozioko. Note that Udi isn't anywhere close to Nsukka or Igala land and is closer to Oji River LGA and Anambra. My former landlady of my BQ in my 4th year was 'Madam Eneh' and she is from Oji River LGA. I know several other 'Enehs' from Enugu state.

According to Igbo Nri origins, Eri bore Nri, and Nri had 5 children I think - 4 boys and a girl. One of the sons was called Onoja Oboli he is said to be the father of the Igalas. Clearly, Onoja Oboli was of Igbo origin, and not Igala. Which then means Onoja and Oboli are authentic Igbo names. I have a friend who graduated from Biochemistry, class of 2012, from Anambra state whose surname is Oboli and he grew up in Onitsha.

Omeje is a popular Nsukka surname and I know so many people who go by that name, the pronunciation(ome eje) which sounds Igbo to me and gives off the meaning 'the doer of eje', the Eje which I don't know its meaning.

Asogwa isn't of Igala origin. It is an authentic Igbo surname. There are so many Asogwa families right here in Imo state where I'm currently staying. I personally know one Barrister Asogwa from Imo state who works in FUTO. Never in the annals of history has it been recorded that Imo people had migrations from Igala land.

Nsukka people usually call themselves by, 'Nsukka Asadu', I can't say which origin Asadu comes from and they greet themselves with 'Deeje'(notice the same 'Eje' here again). They call God, 'Ezechite Oke Abiama' and they believe they are descendants of Nri who they call 'Ishi' or 'Nshi' in their dialect and it is reflective in their surnames such as 'Onyishi', meaning 'Onye Nri' or 'Nri person'. For example, the owner of the popular Peace Park Transport Motors, 'Maduka Onyishi', who is from Nsukka.

I had a coursemate whose surname is 'Idoko', and I also can't say which origin it comes from. I also have another friend whose surname was 'Obetta'. I also cannot tell whether its Igbo or not.

However, I can comfortably say that Attah and Attama used in Nsukka are of Igala origin. Attama means 'chief priest' and is of Igala origin. While 'Attah' is a surname. Maybe Idoko, Momoh and Obaje too . I never came across the name 'Ocho' during my entire stay in Nsukka land.

You seem to have a deep knowledge of common Nsukka names and words. Are you by chance from Nsukka?

Well, Udi area belongs to the Agbaja sub-ethnicity, and Agbaja people have had age-long interactions with the Nsukka group of communities who are their immediate neighbours to the north. So it would be hardly surprising if some Igala influence managed to reach that area, via Nsukka-land.

Achogwa, Achadu and Ozioko were originally titles in Igala kingdom. they mean nothing in Igbo language. Nsukka people adopted some Igala titles in pre-colonial times, and these titles were passed on as surnames. Formerly, the Ozioko was the man in charge of farmlands. (Note that '-oko' means 'farm' in the Yorubaoid languages to which Igala belongs.) The Achadu was the Chief Minister or the Vizier of the Igala Kingdom. (Like the Iyase in Benin.) The office of the the Achogwa appears not to have been clearly defined. In Nsukka, Achogwa and Achadu were corrupted to Asogwa and Asadu. You say you met many families in Imo state who bear the last name 'Asogwa'. I seriously doubt that the Asogwas you met in Imo were indigenous Imolites. I have also met many Asogwas, and every single one of them hails from the Nsukka area.

Omeje is not 'doer of eje' as you think. In Igala, 'om-' or 'oma' means 'child'. And 'eje' is also commonly found among the Igalas both as a title (eg' the traditional ruler of Ankpa in Igalaland is called the Eje) and as a personal name (eg Abutu Eje). It means 'leopard'. Omeje thus means something like 'Child of a Leopard'. in Igbo language, one would say 'Nwagu'.

I may be wrong about Ene. After all, it means antelope in some Igbo dialects, but the fact that it is much more in use among the Idomas; and is only used in Igboland by the northern Igbos who are close to the Idomas suggest that the name is probably of Idoma origin. Besides the name has an Idoma meaning.

Onyishi is not Onye Nshi or Onye Nri. It is simply Onye Ishi (Onye Isi) i.e. headman or leader. it was formerly used as a title for the village heads of Nsukka villages.

Idoko is most definitely an Igala name. No questions about that. Some Igala kings of precolonial days even used it as a dynastic name. Obeta isn't Igbo either. I had an Nsukka friend in school whose last name was Obeta, and when I asked him what it meant, he admitted he had no idea, but that his father told him it was a 'borrowed name'.

About Onoja Oboni, the traditions of his origin aren't straightforward.The Igala and the Ogurugu people of Enugu State believe that Onoja was born in Igalaland to an Igala princess named Ebulejonu and an Igbo hunter called Abatamu. He was raised in the Igala palace as a highborn Igala man. So says tradition. But I don't place too much faith in oral tradition. they are usually too muddled to command belief.

In any case,the name Onoja is clearly Igala. Onu Oja means the Chief of the Market., or the chief of trade (onu=chief; oja=market). And the legendary Onoja Oboli was involved in the trade in slaves from Nsukka down the Niger to its delta. The Idomas answer Onoja, too. and they believe they borrowed it from the Igalas, and that it means Market leader.

I know of at least two prominent Nsukka people who bear the last name Ocho.

Rev. Fr Hilary Ocho,
and Professor Lawrence Offie Ocho.

BTW, I'm not from Nsukka. I just have friends from there. Plus I have read a bit about their history and culture.

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Nobody: 12:57am On Oct 12, 2013
The claim that Onoja Oboli (or Oboni) was a son of Eri is fairly recent. The older forms of the legend simply states that Eri had a son by his second wife, Namaku. the boy's name was given as IDAH, who founded the Igala capital. It appears that this Idah was later confused with Onoja Oboni who was a distinct legendary figure all together.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by odumchi: 3:10am On Oct 12, 2013
I'm loving this discourse.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by bigfrancis21: 10:01am On Oct 12, 2013
Radoillo:

Well, Udi area belongs to the Agbaja sub-ethnicity, and Agbaja people have had age-long interactions with the Nsukka group of communities who are their immediate neighbours to the north. So it would be hardly surprising if some Igala influence managed to reach that area, via Nsukka-land.

Achogwa, Achadu and Ozioko were originally titles in Igala kingdom. they mean nothing in Igbo language. Nsukka people adopted some Igala titles in pre-colonial times, and these titles were passed on as surnames. Formerly, the Ozioko was the man in charge of farmlands. (Note that '-oko' means 'farm' in the Yorubaoid languages to which Igala belongs.) The Achadu was the Chief Minister or the Vizier of the Igala Kingdom. (Like the Iyase in Benin.) The office of the the Achogwa appears not to have been clearly defined. In Nsukka, Achogwa and Achadu were corrupted to Asogwa and Asadu. You say you met many families in Imo state who bear the last name 'Asogwa'. I seriously doubt that the Asogwas you met in Imo were indigenous Imolites. I have also met many Asogwas, and every single one of them hails from the Nsukka area.

Omeje is not 'doer of eje' as you think. In Igala, 'om-' or 'oma' means 'child'. And 'eje' is also commonly found among the Igalas both as a title (eg' the traditional ruler of Ankpa in Igalaland is called the Eje) and as a personal name (eg Abutu Eje). It means 'leopard'. Omeje thus means something like 'Child of a Leopard'. in Igbo language, one would say 'Nwagu'.

I may be wrong about Ene. After all, it means antelope in some Igbo dialects, but the fact that it is much more in use among the Idomas; and is only used in Igboland by the northern Igbos who are close to the Idomas suggest that the name is probably of Idoma origin. Besides the name has an Idoma meaning.

Onyishi is not Onye Nshi or Onye Nri. It is simply Onye Ishi (Onye Isi) i.e. headman or leader. it was formerly used as a title for the village heads of Nsukka villages.

Idoko is most definitely an Igala name. No questions about that. Some Igala kings of precolonial days even used it as a dynastic name. Obeta isn't Igbo either. I had an Nsukka friend in school whose last name was Obeta, and when I asked him what it meant, he admitted he had no idea, but that his father told him it was a 'borrowed name'.

About Onoja Oboni, the traditions of his origin aren't straightforward.The Igala and the Ogurugu people of Enugu State believe that Onoja was born in Igalaland to an Igala princess named Ebulejonu and an Igbo hunter called Abatamu. He was raised in the Igala palace as a highborn Igala man. So says tradition. But I don't place too much faith in oral tradition. they are usually too muddled to command belief.

In any case,the name Onoja is clearly Igala. Onu Oja means the Chief of the Market., or the chief of trade (onu=chief; oja=market). And the legendary Onoja Oboli was involved in the trade in slaves from Nsukka down the Niger to its delta. The Idomas answer Onoja, too. and they believe they borrowed it from the Igalas, and that it means Market leader.

I know of at least two prominent Nsukka people who bear the last name Ocho.

Rev. Fr Hilary Ocho,
and Professor Lawrence Offie Ocho.

BTW, I'm not from Nsukka. I just have friends from there. Plus I have read a bit about their history and culture.

Its posts like this that I tend to have problem with, when Igbos want to claim that so many authentic Igbo words were borrowed from outside sources. Meaning that many of Igbo words aren't native, right?

The Igbo Nri origins has never been a recent theory as you postulate. It has always been there. I first learned about it way back in my primary school days which was in the 90s. Is that a recent theory to you? Eri's children were listed as Nri-Ifikuanim Menri, Agulu, Onoja (founder of Igala), Ogbodudu, Onogu and his only daughter, Iguedo. Together and respectively, his off-springs were instrumental to founding the towns of Aguleri, Igbariam, Ogbunike, Nando, Nri, Enugu-Ukwu, Nteje, Enugu-Agidi, Oraeri and so many other settlements in the East and West of the Niger. It is indeed difficult to draw a line between Igbo and Igala history.

Having said that, P.E. OKWOLI, a native Igalan, and renowned historian stated that in the ancient times,new rulers from the Igbo communities of Igalaancestry must go to Igala to be taught kingship rituals and ceremonials. Although he mentioned that Igala and UMUERI towns are related, but added that UMUERI needed not to go to Igala for any sort of tutelage. An exemption that might explain Nri-Ifikuanim and Agulu's seniority to their younger brother Onoja, the founder of Igala.
http://nigeriaworld.com/articles/2009/may/212.html

Ozioko could as well be Igbo. My former Ozioko roommate is from Udi LGA, Enugu state. You went ahead to give the Igala meaning of 'oko' while forgetting there's a town called 'Oko' in Anambra state which must have its native ancestral meanings.

You went ahead to posit that Onoja is Onu Oja in Igala while forgetting that Onu Oja has its own meaning in Igbo. In the same vein, Onu Oja means 'Flute mouth' in Igbo. The history of Nri has it that Oboli Onoja was a son of Nri who founded the Igala kingdom. A native Igala historian also confirms this fact. If because Onoja doesn't sound Igbo to you and must therefore be of foreign origin, now what about Ifiukuanim, Menri, Agulu, Ogbodudu, Onogu which are the names of Nri's other sons that founded many communities in Anambra state? Those are the founders of authentic Igbo communities in Anambra state yet their names will be hardly deciphered by modern Igbo people today. No, go ahead and tell me how they are of Idoma, Igala and Urhobo origins because they don't sound 'Igbo' to you and you 'met' somebody from Igala and Idoma who bear those names.

We all know that Igbo language has evolved into what we have today. Several ancient dialectical names have been dropped and the more central Igbo words have been adopted. For example, 'ufala' which is an ancient dialectical version of modern 'afufu' which means 'suffering'. Igbo names of yore tended to carry deep meanings, many of which we don't know the meaning today.

Asogwa is an authentic Igbo name. Should we start arguing this one? That you 'met' Asogwas all from Nsukka doesn't mean its a proto-Nsukka name. There are so many Asogwa families in Imo state. In your bid to defend your stance, you'd rather write off my real-life experience of meeting so many Asogwas who are imolites, right?

Well, meet an Asogwa from Imo state.
http://www.earlyface.com/index.php?action=profile;u=39032

And another Asogwa from Imo state.
http://nigerianhotlinenews.com/news/639-ministry-staff-calls-for-donation-to-charity

Asogwa is an all-round Igbo name. Asogwa in Nsukka may have links with the Igala 'Achogwa' but the Asogwa as used in Imo may be different in origin and probably meaning from the Asogwa of Nsukka.

Please, Onyishi isn't pronounced Onyishi as in 'oga or head'. They don't even have the same inflections. My departmental former secretary was Madam Onyeishi and Onyeishi is pronounced the same way you pronounce 'blind person' in Igbo. The ishi has falling accents and is pronounced the same way as 'Nri'. While Onye Isi as in 'Oga' has rising accents. The isi in Onyeisi(oga) and the 'isi' in Onye Ishi(Ishi person) aren't the same. I spent full 6 years in Nsukka land and I often listened to the daily Nsukka programme done in Nsukka dialect on Lion FM, UNN's radio station, and their elders who speak frequently mentioned this themselves.

You say you have Nsukka friends, please ask them.

There's a popular saying among Anambra communities concerning the Onoja-Igala origins and it says, 'Igbo gwusia n'ani Igbo, Igbo ka fokwa n'Igala' meaning 'If Igbos finish in Igboland, there are still Igbos in Igala'. Which points to the possible Igbo origins of Onoja who is said to be the founder of Igala land. The Igalas can have their own histories which you're holding on to to buttress your point. However, people are free to write their own histories and propagate it. That doesn't then mean that all oral histories is valid. Every tribe will want to adopt a history that will favour them. And not the other way round.

Nsukka words of Igala origin are 'Asadu', 'Attama', 'Atta', etc.

I understand where you were coming from. Trying to use the fact that Nsukka people have had close relations with their neighbouring Igala neighbours but yet are Igbos today. Its the same with the Arochukwu and Ohafia of Abia state. However, you stretched your point too far by claiming authentic Igbo words such as Onoja, Oboli, Asogwa, Eneh, etc to be of foreign origin. And that is what I'm pointing out to you.

2 Likes

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by bigfrancis21: 10:13am On Oct 12, 2013
Late Nollywood actor, Pete Eneh, was from Enugu state.

The name 'Owoh' is found among the Igbos and also among the Ondo people of the west. Nollywood actors, 'Nkem Owoh', and 'Chinyere Owoh' are from Enugu state and meanwhile in the west, the late musician 'Orlando Owoh' hailed from Ondo state. So because someone far off in Ondo state bears 'Owoh', therefore Owoh isn't an authentic Igbo name again? Even though both names have different meanings.

All over Igbo land, the word 'Onicha' exists. Starting from Onicha Olona, Onicha Ugbo in Delta Igbo, to Onicha in Anambra state, to Ezinihite Onicha in Imo state, to Onicha LGA in Ebonyi. In Kogi state, there exists a town named 'Onicha'. Therefore, Onicha which is pervasive all over Igboland is no longer a valid Igbo word, right?
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by bigfrancis21: 10:29am On Oct 12, 2013
Ozioko is as proto-Igbo as it could get. It is used all over Igboland and isn't unique to Nsukka people alone. A simple search on 'Ozioko' on facebook will reveal several Igbo people bearing the name from Enugu and Anambra states.

The current Igwe of Oko town in Anambra state, Professor Laz Nnanyelugo Ekwueme, goes by the title, 'Eze Ijikala II, 'Ozioko'.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okoh_Town

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Nobody: 11:34am On Oct 12, 2013
We can go back and forth on this issue and tire ourselves out.

Not all Igbo-sounding names are actually Igbo ( We have demonstrated that with the Ika-Bini name Ovia which you thought was the same as Ofia; and there are many other names used by frontier Igbos which may sound Igbo, but are not). I suggest you look into the ethnohistorical background of some of these names before assigning Igbo origins to them based on the way they sound.

Asogwa is not Mrs Becky's maiden name. Do u know where her husband is from? It would have been great if the 'faceless' Valentine Asogwa had supplied us with the name of his village in Imo.

I never denied that the Igbo (especially Aguleri and Nri) had some influence on Igala people, especially Igalas of the Ibaji district. I only stated that I dont believe Onoja (if he was even a true historical figure) was a son of Eri. The Igala historian you talked about didnot say so.

I have in my possession oral tradition recorded in the 1920s from two different places (one from Igboland, the other from Igalaland), and both records assert that Onoja's mother was Igala and his father an Igbo hunter called Abatamu.

Nri traditions collected in the 1930s by Jeffreys did not say that Onoja was the son of Eri. That claim only appeared later. Onoja and Eri do not even belong to the same time-frame. Onoja is associated with the slave raids of the 17th and 18th centuries; Eri is associated with a far earlier period of history than that. Aguleri was already long-established before Onoja left Idah to found the Aguleri village of Umukete.

I think you rely a lot on Wikipedia and some not-very-reliable websites. I wouldn't if I were you.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Nobody: 11:40am On Oct 12, 2013
bigfrancis21: Late Nollywood actor, Pete Eneh, was from Enugu state.

The name 'Owoh' is found among the Igbos and also among the Ondo people of Onitsha. Nollywood actors, 'Nkem Owoh', and 'Chinyere Owoh' are from Enugu state and meanwhile in the west, the late musician 'Orlando Owoh' hailed from Ondo state. So because someone far off in Ondo state bears 'Owoh', therefore Owoh isn't an authentic Igbo name again? Even though both names have different meanings.

All over Igbo land, the word 'Onicha' exists. Starting from Onicha Olona, Onicha Ugbo in Delta Igbo, to Onicha in Anambra state, to Ezinihite Onicha in Imo state, to Onicha LGA in Ebonyi. In Kogi state, there exists a town named 'Onicha'. Therefore, Onicha which is pervasive all over Igboland is no longer a valid Igbo word, right?

Don't u think you are being misunderstanding here? Did I say any idea the Igbos appear to share with non-Igbos is neccessarily non-Igbo in origin?

By the way, their is no Onicha in Kogi. I believe you meant Benue. And yes, there is probably a connection between Onicha in Benue and the Onicha communties in Ebonyi.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Nobody: 12:08pm On Oct 12, 2013
It is interesting that you mentioned Onogu (the founder of Igbariam, an 'authentic' Igbo town). I wish there was a knowledgeable Igbariam man or woman here to give you more information on Onogu and his relationship with Igbariam. I dont want to say more because Im beginning to sound like an Igalaphile. i would prefer if an Igbariam man could tell you the story of Onogu himself.

in any case, if you can, find and read "Some Aspects of the History of Igbariam Town" written by Joseph E. Anakor, an Igbariam man. Or you could read " The Nri and their Igbo Neighbours" by Nwankwo Nwaezeigwe, a well-known (though sometimes controversial) Igbo historian

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by bigfrancis21: 1:23pm On Oct 12, 2013
Radoillo: We can go back and forth on this issue and tire ourselves out.

Not all Igbo-sounding names are actually Igbo ( We have demonstrated that with the Ika-Bini name Ovia which you thought was the same as Ofia; and there are many other names used by frontier Igbos which may sound Igbo, but are not). I suggest you look into the ethnohistorical background of some of these names before assigning Igbo origins to them based on the way they sound.

Asogwa is not Mrs Becky's maiden name. Do u know where her husband is from? It would have been great if the 'faceless' Valentine Asogwa had supplied us with the name of his village in Imo.

I never denied that the Igbo (especially Aguleri and Nri) had some influence on Igala people, especially Igalas of the Ibaji district. I only stated that I dont believe Onoja (if he was even a true historical figure) was a son of Eri. The Igala historian you talked about didnot say so.

I have in my possession oral tradition recorded in the 1920s from two different places (one from Igboland, the other from Igalaland), and both records assert that Onoja's mother was Igala and his father an Igbo hunter called Abatamu.

Nri traditions collected in the 1930s by Jeffreys did not say that Onoja was the son of Eri. That claim only appeared later. Onoja and Eri do not even belong to the same time-frame. Onoja is associated with the slave raids of the 17th and 18th centuries; Eri is associated with a far earlier period of history than that. Aguleri was already long-established before Onoja left Idah to found the Aguleri village of Umukete.

I think you rely a lot on Wikipedia and some not-very-reliable websites. I wouldn't if I were you.

Several traditions posits that Onoja was the son of Eri. I'm not here to start arguing who's right or not. My point was that you went too far in your bid to make a point by giving several authentic Igbo names such as Ozioko, Eneh, Onoja, Oboli etc foreign origins. I have a friend from Anambra state who bears Oboli.

Nsukka words established of Igala origin are Asadu, Idoko, Attama, Atta, Momoh etc. A fellow coursemate in engineering who is from Nsukka bears 'Ali' as surname and I thought it rather quite odd for an Igbo name. And yes, its pronounced 'Ali' as you've always known it. The way 'Ali' in 'Mohammed Ali' is pronounced.

I personally know a Barrister Asogwa who works in FUTO from Imo state who is a good friend of my mom and speaks Owerri-like Igbo. I still have his number here on my phone. I also gave you another example of an Imolite who bears Asogwa too by dropping the link.

What Igala slave raids exactly are you talking about? African slave trade or the trans-atlantic slave trade? You have to be specific here. For what its worth, the Igala were not influential whatsoever in the trans-atlantic slave trade. They are not even located anywhere close to the Atlantic ocean to begin with. Notice, I never said African slave trade. I said trans-atlantic slave trade. Both are different things.

I ran a check on Onogu and most the results that came up ALL included him as the son of Eri. You then gave me an article to read which I guess opposes this view and which if I check is in minority compared to the greater amount of sources that say the opposite - Eri was the father of Onoja. You should understand that this is a free world. Everybody is entitled to write a book of his choice of a differing viewpoint. And you are free to pick whose opinion you identify with.

Finally, not all Igbo names have one particular meaning. For example is Onyeishi which you wrote off as Onyeishi(Oga) which also means blind person in Igbo depending on the inflections, or OnyeIshi(Ishi person). The Ogwashi Ukwu people who trace their origins to Nshi(Nri) say that the 'Nshi' in their name, Ogwashi, refers to Nri their founder. I also suggest that you look at the other possible meanings of words before assigning a 'final' and 'binding' meaning to them.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by ChinenyeN(m): 1:50pm On Oct 12, 2013
Please, do not attempt to make this nonsense of "authentic Igbo names" (whatever that means) out to be the focal point of a discussion on prehistory. That you see two names that look the same in two Igbo cultural zones does not mean they are the same. Abeg it's not a difficult concept to grasp.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by bigfrancis21: 1:58pm On Oct 12, 2013
Well Mr, I was only bringing to his existence the Igbo sides to the names too which are 'authentic Igbo names' in their own right.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by ChinenyeN(m): 2:13pm On Oct 12, 2013
I believe that is your problem. What in the world is "the Igbo sides to the names"? This is a discussion on prehistory and you want to wear 21st century filtering goggles. How is "sounding Igbo" and "not sounding Igbo" in any way material to such a discussion on prehistory? Please stop trying to weave "Igbo" meanings into every prehistorical name you see. It doesn't work that way.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Nobody: 2:19pm On Oct 12, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Several traditions posits that Onoja was the son of Eri. I'm not here to start arguing who's right or not. My point was that you went too far in your bid to make a point by giving several authentic Igbo names such as Ozioko, Eneh, Onoja, Oboli etc foreign origins. I have a friend from Anambra state who bears Oboli.

Nsukka words established of Igala origin are Asadu, Idoko, Attama, Atta, Momoh etc. A fellow coursemate in engineering who is from Nsukka bears 'Ali' as surname and I thought it rather quite odd for an Igbo name. And yes, its pronounced 'Ali' as you've always known it. The way 'Ali' in 'Mohammed Ali' is pronounced.

I personally know a Barrister Asogwa who works in FUTO from Imo state who is a good friend of my mom and speaks Owerri-like Igbo. I still have his number here on my phone. I also gave you another example of an Imolite who bears Asogwa too by dropping the link.

Perhaps I shouldn't dwell more on this. Igala influence penetrated into the riverine parts of Anambra, if you must know. And I wont be surprised if there are Onitsha people called Oboli. Attah is even a relatively common name in the part of Awka where I come from. Nollywood star Pat Attah hails from Umuzocha village (my home village) in Awka. Umuzocha village, Awka had very intimate relations with Igala in the past.

bigfrancis21:

What Igala slave raids exactly are you talking about? African slave trade or the trans-atlantic slave trade? You have to be specific here. For what its worth, the Igala were not influential whatsoever in the trans-atlantic slave trade. They are not even located anywhere close to the Atlantic ocean to begin with. Notice, I never said African slave trade. I said trans-atlantic slave trade. Both are different things.

Igala horsemen raided Nsukka area for slaves in the 17th, 18th, and early 19th centuries. The slaves were then taken to Idah (which is located on the banks of the Niger) or Ogurugu (on the banks of the Anambra river). From either points, the slaves were taken downriver and sold at Onitsha, Asaba, Aboh and Brass. Yes, the Igala played a large part in the trans-Atlantic slave trade using the river Niger as a transport medium. They did not deal directly with the Europeans, of course, but sold their slaves to middlemen like the Aboh people and the Ijo of Brass.Unfortunately this is hardly ever acknowledged.

bigfrancis21:

I ran a check on Onogu and most the results that came up ALL included him as the son of Eri. You then gave me an article to read which I guess opposes this view and which if I check is in minority compared to the greater amount of sources that say the opposite - Eri was the father of Onoja. You should understand that this is a free world. Everybody is entitled to write a book of his choice of a differing viewpoint. And you are free to pick whose opinion you identify with.

Of course, Onogu was traditionally a son of Eri. But I wish it was possible for you to read at least one of the books I suggested. You would have seen that the story of who Eri was and his place in Igbo history is much more complicated than people who do not do deep research think. There are aspects of the traditions which make it probable that Igbo-speaking people were already existing in Aguleri, Igbariam and Nri before Eri and his family came to those areas from somewhere to the north (perhaps from Igalaland itself). In Aguleri, these aboriginal pre-Eri Igbo people were called Okpu; in Igbariam they were called Nudu; in Nri they were called Umudiana or Adama. The Nudu aboriginals of Igbariam say that they were already living in Igbariam before Onogu, son of Eri came there. Onogu was said to be a warlord who conquered the indigenous people of Igbariam. You may not like this but Onogu in Igala means 'warlord' (Sorry). And they say he and his family were originally Igala people. It is like you say, Igbo history and Igala history are so intertwined seperating them is almost impossible. Anyway, that is a topic for another day.

bigfrancis21:

Finally, not all Igbo names have one particular meaning. For example is Onyeishi which you wrote off as Onyeishi(Oga) which also means blind person in Igbo depending on the inflections, or OnyeIshi(Ishi person). The Ogwashi Ukwu people who trace their origins to Nshi(Nri) say that the 'Nshi' in their name, Ogwashi, refers to Nri their founder. I also suggest that you look at the other possible meanings of words before assigning a 'final' and 'binding' meaning to them.

Point taken. Enuani people of Delta pronounce Nri as Nshi. Ika people pronounce it as 'Nhi' or 'Ihi'. I have never heard that Nsukka people call Nri 'Ishi'. That is why i found it hard to accept ur etymological explanation of 'Onyishi'.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by bigfrancis21: 2:24pm On Oct 12, 2013
I think you've failed to go through the past discussions to see why we got to this level. While he made a great expose out of his list of 18 Nsukka words of foreign origin which I liked, which he used to buttress his point that despite such occurrence, the Nsukka people wear the Igbo tag, I was only pointing out to him that some of the names he listed as peculiar to Nsukka and 'foreign' could be proto-Igbo themselves. Names such as Ozioko, Eneh, Oboli, Asogwa which aren't "peculiar to Nsukka people", so to speak, and can be found in other Igbo areas, thus making those names proto-Igbo. That was my point.

My point is he went a bit too far in his bid which I easily noticed because of my years of stay in Nsukka land and my consequential acquaintance with the language and culture of the people. I'd easily have passed it by just like you did if I hadn't no pre-knowledge about Nsukka.

Don't mind the discourse we are having, Rado is my NL pal from Awka. I almost forgot that and thought he was from Nsukka owing to his great knowledge on the subject, which I commended him. I was the one who liked that his very post. My only aim was to bring to his existence that not all of those names on his list are 'foreign'.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by agbotaen: 7:58pm On Oct 12, 2013
1. ika was influenced by both edo and igbo words or sentences and have life of its own, if ika people should drop some igbo names they have then the igbos should be ready to drop all their english names and names they also took from their neighbours like the efik/ibibio names , and igala names , too.
2. some times ika as a language strides between two language of edo and igbo to make meaning , and some times thats how our names are too .although some ika names are outright benin names , while some are outright igbo names like uche, ikenchuku, are igbo , while irabor, usiade and osagie are benin names.
3. then there are ika names that combine both edo and igbo words to form a meaning such as
1. ehiedu- god is guiding me , ehi is edo , while edu is igbo.
2. ekawuku, eka is igbo , while uku is ika , meaning my hand give me wealth,
3. okpohoka , woman is greatest, okpoho is edo while ka is igbo .
4. ikponfinasouya- the dust bin does not refuse suffering , while the rest words in this name is ika /edo, aso -is igbo
5. ehichuidoboro= my god has chased away evil from me, the only igbo word there is chu , that is to chase away.
6. eghowuosihian- money is friend to many people,
7. ehiyemofe , ehi is edo for guardian spirit , wile ofe is also free thing , while yem means gave or give in igbo , so the name means it is god that gave me freely .
8. osemenimghogho- god has made me happy , all the words are edoic but menin is an ika word adopted from igbo , the full name is oselobue menim ghogho.
9. ara gbu edionma -is shortened to agbedion, we do not kill a senior , and the only igbo word there is gbu-meaning kill ,
10. osekogbe , which means god is biggest , from the word oselobue ya ka ogbe
so ika names can some times take two languages and lan at our own meanings , and so are sentences too like,
yasaka gbu ihian , meaning you cannot kill some one, this sentence passes through edo/ika and igbo to form a sentence .

11. igbos should recognise that tribal matters is all about pitching tent where you think that you will be protected and as such all igbo people or yoruba people or ika people pitched their tent in places that will favour them , all nigerian tribe did not exist 200 years ago , this igbo, ika, benin, ishan is a new development , in place of it we had benin empire, oyo empire , and small kingdoms existing on their own as independent entities, so when britsh came they started binding together , tribes are man made and not god made.

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 9:51pm On Oct 12, 2013
i will want to believe that there is so.much similarities between both cultures and assimilations also i have not been to nsukka but i do know that been in.peripherals there might be word.borrowings same you have that agbo the village of liyel imoke they are in cross rivers but are igbos

there are igbo words and ancient igbo words that there meanings.are lost like ojo ohakim uburu and so.much more but . they are still igbo the problem with ika is that they and.some confuse lects to be language mana agbacha oso agu o mile

udo diri unu. ekene m unu igbo ndi oma
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Ngbokwu: 10:03pm On Oct 12, 2013
agbotaen: 1. ika was influenced by both edo and igbo words or sentences and have life of its own, if ika people should drop some igbo names they have then the igbos should be ready to drop all their english names and names they also took from their neighbours like the efik/ibibio names , and igala names , too.
2. some times ika as a language strides between two language of edo and igbo to make meaning , and some times thats how our names are too .although some ika names are outright benin names , while some are outright igbo names like uche, ikenchuku, are igbo , while irabor, usiade and osagie are benin names.
3. then there are ika names that combine both edo and igbo words to form a meaning such as
1. ehiedu- god is guiding me , ehi is edo , while edu is igbo.
2. ekawuku, eka is igbo , while uku is ika , meaning my hand give me wealth,
3. okpohoka , woman is greatest, okpoho is edo while ka is igbo .
4. ikponfinasouya- the dust bin does not refuse suffering , while the rest words in this name is ika /edo, aso -is igbo
5. ehichuidoboro= my god has chased away evil from me, the only igbo word there is chu , that is to chase away.
6. eghowuosihian- money is friend to many people,
7. ehiyemofe , ehi is edo for guardian spirit , wile ofe is also free thing , while yem means gave or give in igbo , so the name means it is god that gave me freely .
8. osemenimghogho- god has made me happy , all the words are edoic but menin is an ika word adopted from igbo , the full name is oselobue menim ghogho.
9. ara gbu edionma -is shortened to agbedion, we do not kill a senior , and the only igbo word there is gbu-meaning kill ,
10. osekogbe , which means god is biggest , from the word oselobue ya ka ogbe
so ika names can some times take two languages and lan at our own meanings , and so are sentences too like,
yasaka gbu ihian , meaning you cannot kill some one, this sentence passes through edo/ika and igbo to form a sentence .

11. igbos should recognise that tribal matters is all about pitching tent where you think that you will be protected and as such all igbo people or yoruba people or ika people pitched their tent in places that will favour them , all nigerian tribe did not exist 200 years ago , this igbo, ika, benin, ishan is a new development , in place of it we had benin empire, oyo empire , and small kingdoms existing on their own as independent entities, so when britsh came they started binding together , tribes are man made and not god made.
Nwokem, you have exhausted your thread. The discussion now is no longer on Ika, so your contributions are not needed. So get out of here.

3 Likes

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Nobody: 10:12pm On Oct 12, 2013
tonychristopher: same you have that agbo the village of liyel imoke they are in cross rivers but are igbos

While I dont disagree with u that there are probably Igbo-speaking populations indigenous to Cross River, I'll have to say that Agbo people are not one of them. Agbo is not even a village, but a minor ethnic group found in Abi and Yakurr LGAs of Cross River State. Their language is called Legbo, and is related to the other languages of Cross River State.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legbo_language

Or if you don't trust wWikipedia, like myself:

http://linguistics.berkeley.edu/hyman/~Legbo_BLS_paper.pdf

Udo smiley
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by somegirl1: 12:54am On Oct 13, 2013
Idun'oba ehis:
More words
Ika Bini English
mkpu - ukpu - cup
evbeni - evbana - right here/there
agbaka - agbaka - crocodile. More stil coming.
agban - agbanwen -jaw
nkhite - ekhite - dog
mwen - mwen - have
eson - asen - spit
ohuhu/okhokho-okhokho - chicken
ba - ba - bright
aba - aba - father
ekpa - ekpo - bag
ye evbeni - ye evbana -right here
evben - evban - here
evbeni - evbana - there
bun - bun - plenty
de - dan - fall
enen - enon - four
eni - eni - elephant
Some words here are similar to igbo but non is exactly like igbo.

Idun'oba ehis:
More words
Ika Bini English
efe - efe - wealth
egogo - egogo-bells
ogua - egua - palace
oba rii egua/ogua (both) The oba is in palace.
Ukhun - ekhun - waist
ekpetitalokun-ekpetihoe - radio
ekpetiughegbe - ekpetiughegbe - television
ekpetin - ekpetin - luggages
Ehi mwen ekpatiughegbe isen - Ehi has five televisions
Ekpetin isen rii aga - there are five luggages on the chairs
esin - esin - horse
etu - etu - bear
etu nii bun (both) this beards are many
fefefe - fefefe- completely
fe - fe -throw
fu - fu - blow air
gedegbe - gedegbe - big, mighty
ogo - ogo - bottle
omomo - omomo - baby
talo - talo - to prolong talk
many stil coming

Idun'oba ehis:
More word
Ika Bini English
Guah-guah-to tell/speak
han - hano - choose
eriri - irri - rope
ukolu - ukonu - kitchen
isiawe - isiawe -groundnut
kakaka - kakaka - empty, dry
koko - koko - gather/save
Okome koko igho/egho (both) - Okome saved money
kuru - kolo - pluck(leaf)
tuhue - tue - pour it(also means lost it in Ika)
ekhere - khere - small
mkpu/ukpu nii rii ekhere/khere (both) - this cup is small
me - me - me
la - la - go
ma - ma - good

Wow, didn't realize Igbo and Bini were so similar. If I listen well enough, I just might understand Bini.
We must have come from the same source.

(1) (2) (3) ... (96) (97) (98) (99) (100) (101) (102) ... (111)

Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) / Learn How To Speak Hausa Here / Complaints And Notice Thread. Be Serious!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 201
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.