Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,282 members, 7,864,414 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 05:52 PM

Pastors As Political Godfathers - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Pastors As Political Godfathers (2591 Views)

Buhari's Cabinet: Shocker Awaits APC Godfathers - Tribuneonline / Photo: Voters Take To Their Heels As Political Thugs Attack In Akwa Ibom / Shoot Out At Jakande Lekki Lagos As Political Thugs Clash (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pastors As Political Godfathers by shinystar(m): 5:38pm On Apr 02, 2007
It may be hard for me to share. But Lagos PFN for example is rooting for Femi Pedro. Another group in the body is rooting for Jimmy Agbaje. A renowned Lagos-based Bishop is supporting Fashola. You see you cannot nail them to any of these endorsements but those counting on them know how to decode their body languages.

I find the fact that someone said we are returning to the Samuel's day as amusing. Comparatively, don't we stand to lose more by endorsing candidates through our church structure.
Re: Pastors As Political Godfathers by 9ja4eva: 7:00pm On Apr 02, 2007
Really.Well both candidates are not bad u know.People vote wisely please.We need to guard our votes.
Re: Pastors As Political Godfathers by enohj2ee(m): 7:52pm On Apr 02, 2007
christain dont be decieve christ we soon come, weather we like it or not the world or Nigeria we be bad you can change it . this world is not our home believers cant not go into politics but though we should pray for them and go out and vote for our choice. pray for them
Re: Pastors As Political Godfathers by 9ja4eva: 10:10pm On Apr 02, 2007
Doing jst dt praying for dem.
Re: Pastors As Political Godfathers by aidexlaw(m): 12:40am On Apr 03, 2007
"We as Pure Christians are to stay out of politics! Our attention is on Godly living."

Has anyone noticed that this quote is from someone named "Backslider", I mean,

grin Really Funny
Re: Pastors As Political Godfathers by 9ja4eva: 6:49am On Apr 04, 2007
Anyone knows of any Candidate officially endorsed by a Pastor?
Re: Pastors As Political Godfathers by shinystar(m): 12:29pm On Apr 04, 2007
No Nigerian pastor can officially endorse a candidate for any elections. And the reasons are because Nigerian politics is not always issue-oriented. This is unlike what obtains in America where most christian conservatives support Republican Party because of it stance on issues like abortion, gay marriage and others.

Nigerian parties have little or no ideologies, leaving the task of endorsing any candidate officially impossible for any pastor.

But they have ways of doing it. They use back-door communication channels to do this. For example, many of them have sworn to work against AC Lagos guber candidate, Fashola, because he is not a muslim. But you will never hear them say this openly except at closed-doors meetings. I happen to be at one where this decision was taken.
Re: Pastors As Political Godfathers by adeboo(f): 3:13pm On Apr 04, 2007
Na wa o.

Politicians are desperate people and their deceit is mind boggling. They will say and do anything they can to make you vote for them. If going via the route of churches will bring the vote, so be it.

I just feel its totally dependent on the pastors that want their congregations to listen or vote for a certain politician, they must hae faith in that particular candidate.

@Backslider, your name is truly baffling cause you know words have power they are like spirits- if everyone keeps calling you backslider, then you truly will backslide.
Re: Pastors As Political Godfathers by shinystar(m): 6:02pm On Apr 05, 2007
Deboo,

Thanks for the name angle. I had also been wondering why someone would call himself backslider. Brother backslider may you always front-slide. Amen. Love you so much!
Re: Pastors As Political Godfathers by 9ja4eva: 11:50pm On Apr 05, 2007
Amen for brother backslider.
Re: Pastors As Political Godfathers by donnie(m): 3:36pm On Apr 06, 2007
shinystar:

No Nigerian pastor can officially endorse a candidate for any elections.

Says who?

shinystar:

And the reasons are because Nigerian politics is not always issue-oriented. This is unlike what obtains in America where most christian conservatives support Republican Party because of it stance on issues like abortion, gay marriage and others.

Nigerian parties have little or no ideologies, leaving the task of endorsing any candidate officially impossible for any pastor,

I understand your arguement, quite reasonable. But i think i know a few aspirants that not only have a vision but are also passionate about their visions.

I think the problem lies with our believing that it is only those big names or former military leaders that can lead our country. I once asked a friend who he will vote for in the coming elections and he said, ah! the results have already been decided.

Well this is the mentality that we Nigerians must do away with. He actually said his choice did not matter and that PDP will produce the president. Well, i told him whom i prefered because i have heard him speak of his vision and his passion for Nigeria. Ah! he is good but i dont think he stands a chance.  

Do you see where the problem lies? Rather than go out and vote for the person of your choice, the one whom you think has a well defined vision and agenda for our country, we are tempted to vote for the seemingly popular or big names as if they have promised you political position if they win.  

I remember Pastor Chris Speaking to one of the Presidential aspirants(the one i prefer) saying, I have some questions here for you, but because of time(the meeting with so much in the agenda, was almost coming to a close ). That is what it should be, we must ask questions. They must spell out clearly their plans and visions that are practicable. Of course a Man of God can endorse a candidate if that candidate proves to have what it takes to lead Nigeria to the next level and of course, if he is led of God to do so.

I tell you, do not vote for the person you think will win as that is a foolish thing to do, but vote for the person you think we deserve as president.
Re: Pastors As Political Godfathers by shinystar(m): 11:54pm On Apr 06, 2007
Donnie,

The point is : should a pastor endorse a candidate. The aspirant you were refering is Pat Utomi, who we know Pastor Chris is supporting. Is that fair and right? Shouldn't a pastor be neutral and avoid the murky waters of politics.
Re: Pastors As Political Godfathers by vikiviko(m): 1:16am On Apr 07, 2007
The activities of the Pentescostal fellowship pastors is becoming unpredictable and suspicious.
I don't understand why Pastors under PFN ARE endorsing Femi Pedro as THERE CANDIDATE.
Please messages should be sent to pastors to stay clear politicking
Lest i forget who would dey endorse for the presidential election
They must support and endorse Okotie who is a full time pastor
Re: Pastors As Political Godfathers by donnie(m): 4:56pm On Apr 08, 2007
shinystar:

Donnie,

The point is : should a pastor endorse a candidate. The aspirant you were refering is Pat Utomi, who we know Pastor Chris is supporting. Is that fair and right? Shouldn't a pastor be neutral and avoid the murky waters of politics.

I did not say pastor Chris is supporting this man,  I am still waiting to hear from Pastor Chris. He hasn't spoken yet. He will soon speak. I might let you know when he does.

Well, not every pastor can or should endorse a candidate. There are gifts and there are callings. There are men of God and there are men of God. It is obvious that Pastor Chris is a man of God with a difference. Like i said, it should be as the Spirit leads.

Neutral? In Nigeria? Ha ha, we have too much stake in this country to be neutral. If a pastor can guide his flock in other areas of life, why not in something as important as their choice of a leader.
Re: Pastors As Political Godfathers by 9ja4eva: 7:00am On Apr 10, 2007
vikiviko:

The activities of the Pentescostal fellowship pastors is becoming unpredictable and suspicious.
I don't understand why Pastors under PFN ARE endorsing Femi Pedro as THERE CANDIDATE.
Please messages should be sent to pastors to stay clear politicking
Lest i forget who would dey endorse for the presidential election
They must support and endorse Okotie who is a full time pastor

Is it official that dey r gunning for Femi Pedro?Well for Okotie i really think dey shld support him.Most PFN members r jealous people and most of them have deir own political candidates too.God will help us oh.As for other 9jerian pastors i do not think they will endorse candidates anyway but lets c wat happens.
Re: Pastors As Political Godfathers by shinystar(m): 2:02pm On Apr 10, 2007
Well,

I am in possession of an official letter from Lagos PFN endorsing Pedro for the guber race.

Okotie was reportedly turned down, a situation that created a crack in the body. A top Exco member even resigned but had to be prevailed upon to withdraw his resignation.

The PRO of the body, few days after Pedro's endorsement, spoke to media men and berated the body for the action.

Is politics not widening the disunity in the church already?

Won't politicians cajole pastors for support only to turn them against themselves?
Re: Pastors As Political Godfathers by Christino(m): 12:08am On Apr 12, 2007
Pure water pastors angry destroying my name! I worked hard to earn that name men, ya'll better drop my name and bear ya papa's beautiful african names, columbus go vex o!
Re: Pastors As Political Godfathers by 9ja4eva: 8:01am On Apr 13, 2007
shinystar:

Well,

I am in possession of an official letter from Lagos PFN endorsing Pedro for the guber race.

Okotie was reportedly turned down, a situation that created a crack in the body. A top Exco member even resigned but had to be prevailed upon to withdraw his resignation.

The PRO of the body, few days after Pedro's endorsement, spoke to media men and berated the body for the action.

Is politics not widening the disunity in the church already?

Won't politicians cajole pastors for support only to turn them against themselves?

Seems unbelieveable bt i know dere is Politics in PFN though.Na wa oh

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Is The U. S President The Most Powerful Man In The World? / Primary Health Centres Locations And Completion Status--Abia State Govt / Is Nigeria Practicing Democracy?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.