Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,842 members, 7,820,934 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:56 AM

Monday Morning Rush Hour - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Monday Morning Rush Hour (3673 Views)

The Myth About Monday Morning / Easter Monday: Pictures Of Lagos Carnival 2012 / Federal Government Declares Monday Public Holiday. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Monday Morning Rush Hour by DejiYesufu(m): 10:14am On Jun 08, 2010
I live at Akobo, Ibadan. Due to poor planning a single lane road leads from Akobo to inner city Ibadan where most people work. Akobo, being a new site, has many residents now living there and the number of people there is increasing daily. Now, what baffles me the most is why the traffic is so heavy on monday but begins to petter out as the weekdays go by. Then on Friday eveing there is 'go slow' again, this time as we return home. Someone explained that the 'weekenders' from Lagos are returning but I doubt this line of argument.
What is do you think? Is it the same in your city?
Re: Monday Morning Rush Hour by Kennyblues(m): 12:40pm On Jun 10, 2010
tell Alao Akala to divert the N8.5B road project into building more roads so that you don't the morning rush hour or betterstill he borroes a clue from Fashola
Re: Monday Morning Rush Hour by davidif: 12:54pm On Jun 10, 2010
Boy, Nigeria DESPERATELY NEEDS TRANSPORTATION ENGINEERS.
Re: Monday Morning Rush Hour by trublu1(f): 1:04pm On Jun 10, 2010
davidif:

Boy, Nigeria DESPERATELY NEEDS TRANSPORTATION ENGINEERS.

+ town planning, where they actually STICK to the plans!
Re: Monday Morning Rush Hour by DejiYesufu(m): 1:18pm On Jun 10, 2010
Kennyblues:

tell Alao Akala to divert the N8.5B road project into building more roads so that you don't the morning rush hour or betterstill he borroes a clue from Fashola
To be fair to Akala he's built some roads lately with the President coming to commision them recently. I just wish to know why what happens on monday should not also happen every other weekday. Its not enough to say people are returning to their stations; such people should have left their towns much earlier! Dont you think?
Re: Monday Morning Rush Hour by otukpo(f): 1:23pm On Jun 10, 2010
The same with Lagos.

The traffic going to V.I monday mornings na die.

Don't know the cause but i think many offices hold meetings on mondays so everybody wants to be in the office on time, or some people come to V.I on mondays, hang around and then go to their home on fridays. grin

Not sure.
Re: Monday Morning Rush Hour by wazobiang: 1:24pm On Jun 10, 2010
resign your job and watch the goings on from beside the road, then you can answer the question well well.
Re: Monday Morning Rush Hour by Carlosein(m): 1:27pm On Jun 10, 2010
DejiYesufu:

I live at Akobo, Ibadan. Due to poor planning a single lane road leads from Akobo to inner city Ibadan where most people work. Akobo, being a new site, has many residents now living there and the number of people there is increasing daily. Now, what baffles me the most is why the traffic is so heavy on monday but begins to petter out as the weekdays go by. Then on Friday eveing there is 'go slow' again, this time as we return home. Someone explained that the 'weekenders' from Lagos are returning but I doubt this line of argument.

Why do you doubt the above? Seems reasonable to me undecided
Re: Monday Morning Rush Hour by skalamanga: 1:33pm On Jun 10, 2010
i dont leave in ibadan but i will attempt explaining;

1. Monday mornings have heavier traffick because ibadan recidents that work in lagos leave for lagos on monday mornings having spent the weekend with their families, which is why the traffick is heavy on the ibadan-lagos express way on mondays.

2. Traffick is heavier on friday evenings because these workers are coming back to meet their families to spend the weekend and the reason why general traffick is heavy on the lag-ibadan express way on fridays.

these are simple analogies i think might be the reason.
Re: Monday Morning Rush Hour by JeSoul(f): 2:01pm On Jun 10, 2010
Actually this trend of monday morning/friday afternoon heavy traffic is not unique to only Naija.

I used to commute 42miles (84miles total) to work and traffic on the highway was always worst monday mornings and friday afternoons. I think its because people usually return from the weekend away, or whatever on monday mornings. And likewise, people usually travel/go away for the weekend on fridays afternoons/early evening.
Re: Monday Morning Rush Hour by denony(m): 2:17pm On Jun 10, 2010
to recover weekend expenditures grin
Re: Monday Morning Rush Hour by kabukabu(m): 3:42pm On Jun 10, 2010
wazobia-ng:

resign your job and watch the goings on from beside the road, then you can answer the question well well.

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin
Nice couldn't have said it better myself, wazobia
Re: Monday Morning Rush Hour by canuck(m): 4:57pm On Jun 10, 2010
@ OP

In Nigeria (at least in the South West), I know that there's a certain devotion to (and probably a superstitious belief about) Mondays - As in what you do on that day will determine the rest of your week. So, most people just get up and go! cheesy

To add a different perspective, Mondays (and Fridays) are low-congestion mornings in the US! (According to Inrix, who supply data to in-car satellite navigation systems)

Speculations are that most Americans call-in "sick" on Mondays than any other day!
Re: Monday Morning Rush Hour by canuck(m): 5:00pm On Jun 10, 2010
denony:

to recover weekend expenditures grin

Absolutely!
Re: Monday Morning Rush Hour by eros(m): 5:05pm On Jun 10, 2010
wazobia-ng:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Well, Akala should pay more attention to expanding the roads in Ibadan and getting town planners to map out a good plan for a new Ibadan and stick to it. I guess that will mean alot of houses being demolished because folks over here have no respect for boundaries.
Re: Monday Morning Rush Hour by Agbo2(m): 5:08pm On Jun 10, 2010
wazobia-ng:

cool
Re: Monday Morning Rush Hour by Nobody: 6:21pm On Jun 10, 2010
Resign ke, even Yaradu'a no gree do that one oh
Re: Monday Morning Rush Hour by JeSoul(f): 8:24pm On Jun 10, 2010
canuck:

@ OP

In Nigeria (at least in the South West), I know that there's a certain devotion to (and probably a superstitious belief about) Mondays - As in what you do on that day will determine the rest of your week. So, most people just get up and go! cheesy

To add a different perspective, Mondays (and Fridays) are low-congestion mornings in the US! (According to Inrix, who supply data to in-car satellite navigation systems)
I agree 1000% friday mornings are definitely the lowest for traffic, but Friday afternoons? terrible. As for Monday mornings being low-congestion . . . hmm interesting, my personal experience was otherwise.

Speculations are that most Americans call-in "sick" on Mondays than any other day!
Lol. I would argue friday over monday, so they can have a nice long weekend. Infact I'm thinking of exercising that option for tomorrow cool
Re: Monday Morning Rush Hour by babaowo: 8:32pm On Jun 10, 2010
its because there is no system working in naija
mostly everyone goes to work sametime
Re: Monday Morning Rush Hour by canuck(m): 8:36pm On Jun 10, 2010
JeSoul:

Lol. I would argue friday over monday, so they can have a nice long weekend. Infact I'm thinking of exercising that option for tomorrow cool
I agree with your line of thought - Come to think of it, taking Friday or Monday off equals the same long weekend, no be so? One is @ the start of the weekend, while the other is @ the end wink
Re: Monday Morning Rush Hour by JeSoul(f): 9:19pm On Jun 10, 2010
canuck:

I agree with your line of thought - Come to think of it, taking Friday or Monday off equals the same long weekend, no be so? One is @ the start of the weekend, while the other is @ the end wink
hehe true true smiley. It's just that friday off sounds so much better. Canuck, you're the same Canuck who's dropped in the Religion section in the past right? why you no dey stop by now? smiley
Re: Monday Morning Rush Hour by Nobody: 9:28pm On Jun 10, 2010
Re: Monday Morning Rush Hour by Sprumbaba: 9:42pm On Jun 10, 2010
I think this heavy traffic on Monday mornings and Friday evening is a norm in most major towns and cities.

IMO the Akobo problem is due to the following;

1. Its a single lane road

2. The rail way track crosses the road and because the track does not seamlessly blend into the road, cars slow down to cross the track

3. There are several cement dealers at the area where the rail track crosses the road and a lot of the time there are trailers off loading bags and bags of cement early on Monday morning

4. There is always one clever cloggs parked on the road. Remember that it is a single lane road, so cars coming behind have to wait behind the parked car until there is a gap in the traffic

5. The area is a relatively new area and lots of new middle to upper class people are now moving to the area, many of who own their own cars.

6. We all know the taxi Ibadan "old baba drivers" with their Datsun 120Y taxis always stopping and starting.

7. There is also an amala joint at the oju irin which is also very busy and with cars parked all around it Cheesy

You go help me do Ibadan GPS.
Re: Monday Morning Rush Hour by Nobody: 10:21pm On Jun 10, 2010
Re: Monday Morning Rush Hour by r231(m): 11:09pm On Jun 10, 2010
the govt need to start charging CONGESTION grin grin

it will reduce traffic
Re: Monday Morning Rush Hour by DejiYesufu(m): 9:28am On Jun 11, 2010
chaircover:

I think this heavy traffic on Monday mornings and Friday evening is a norm in most major towns and cities.

IMO the Akobo problem is due to the following;

1. Its a single lane road

2. The rail way track crosses the road and because the track does not seamlessly blend into the road, cars slow down to cross the track

3. There are several cement dealers at the area where the rail track crosses the road and a lot of the time there are trailers off loading bags and bags of cement early on Monday morning

4. There is always one clever cloggs parked on the road. Remember that it is a single lane road, so cars coming behind have to wait behind the parked car until there is a gap in the traffic

5. The area is a relatively new area and lots of new middle to upper class people are now moving to the area, many of who own their own cars.

6. We all know the taxi Ibadan "old baba drivers" with their Datsun 120Y taxis always stopping and starting.

7. There is also an amala joint at the oju irin which is also very busy and with cars parked all around it cheesy

This is the best analyses far. Thank you so much.
wazobia-ng:

How will that help?
Re: Monday Morning Rush Hour by felifeli: 9:30am On Jun 11, 2010
The problem is juju . Some people want Akala to be disgraced by force . But . , o yato. Ride on sir. grin
Re: Monday Morning Rush Hour by 1forall: 11:14am On Jun 11, 2010
DejiYesufu:

I live at Akobo, Ibadan. Due to poor planning a single lane road leads from Akobo to inner city Ibadan where most people work. Akobo, being a new site, has many residents now living there and t[b]he number of people there is increasing daily[/b]. Now, what baffles me the most is why the traffic is so heavy on monday but begins to petter out as the weekdays go by. Then on Friday eveing there is 'go slow' again, this time as we return home. Someone explained that the 'weekenders' from Lagos are returning but I doubt this line of argument.

Hey Poster, the answers are in your post, see them in bold
Re: Monday Morning Rush Hour by DejiYesufu(m): 12:08pm On Jun 11, 2010
Thank you 1forall.
But I assume you live in a city and have your own experiences; lets have them.
Re: Monday Morning Rush Hour by Nobody: 11:15pm On Jun 11, 2010
I hate Mondays.
Re: Monday Morning Rush Hour by DejiYesufu(m): 1:13pm On Jun 14, 2010
It would not be a bad idea to use bikes in Ibadan. The only problem is that with the roads here, all riders may end up in the hospital - UCH!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Esusu / Nigeria Without Igbos / Can You Translate 'Messiah' In Your Mother Tongue?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.