Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,146 members, 7,811,237 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:20 AM

The Aro Settlements And The Confederacy - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Aro Settlements And The Confederacy (2939 Views)

Eze Aro And The Aro Kingdom. / How Powerful Was The Aro Confederacy / How Large Are Igbo Settlements In Benue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Aro Settlements And The Confederacy by AkuOlisa: 6:39pm On Sep 12, 2022
The Aro confederacy has its roots in the founding of Aro Chukwu, Arochukwu is situated by the Enyong creek and the Aro side of the creek is called Unene while the Ibibio side is called Iwere

Aro Chukwu clan or group has three lineages, the Eze Agwu, the Oke Nnachi and the Ibom isii,
They coalesced to form the current Aro people in the following order,

Eze Agwu Nnobia led his group from a North Easternly direction on the Eastern banks of the River Cross across on the western bank to settle in the current location of Aro, some accounts say he was a descendant of Oti Eze son of Ife Nta from whom the Ohafia(Uduma Eze), Edda (Imoh Eze) and Abam(Onyerubi Eze) are also descended, Oti is hailed as a supreme ancestor of the Aros

They met the Ibibio in the new land they had settled, the aborigines of the land had been some Ekoid groups known as the Nchalagha and the Losi before the Ibibio also settled alongside, so when the Aro came they found these three groups domiciled there and lived with them until some disagreement over a marriage sparked the Aro ibibio wars, which ended in a stalemate, prompting Eze Agwu Nnobia to call the assistance of an Edda Chief Priest, Nnachi Ipia, after they struck a deal with Akpokpo Okon the half brother of the Ibibio Chief at Obong Oko Ita which failed, they enlisted the help of some clan of Akpa warriors from Akamkpa in cross River, they new clan were led by Osim and Akum Nnubi, they defeated the Ibibio and that was how Arochukwu was founded,
The defeated and assimilated Ibibio formed the Ibom-isii lineage of Arochukwu and Obinkita (said to be a corruption of obong oko ita) the Eze Agwu lineage were formed by the Eze Agwu group while the Oke Nnachi lineage were comprised of Nnachi and Akpa descendants,
Akum Nnubi was the first Eze Aro,

With the founding of Aro, it didn’t take long before they grew into a powerful clan, quite adept in blacksmithing, mercantile activities and their most ingenious invention of all, the shrines and the settlements,
Three things marked the Aro rise to power: slaves, the shrines and the settlements
As the Aro expanded they wandered through the hinterland establishing settlements, markets and shrines for the sole purpose of trade which were largely comprosed of slaves, they were able to build a vast slave empire, a connection of Aro settlements and shrines which had a stranglehold on all Southern Igbo society and would shape them forever,

To build their settlement and hold their power the Aro took with them warrior clans such as their fellow ife Nta people: Ohafia, Edda Abam, Enna and even Ekoi mercenaries,
These were renown head hunters and could clear entire villages,

One typical example is the Aro Chief Izuogu Mgbokpo and Ikpa Ora who led his Aro/Abam warriors to sack and pillage the original Isuama settlement of Ikpa Ora, and founded Aro Izuogu in it’s place,

Another example is Okpo Nwagidi the founder of Isiokpo (currently in Ikwerre LGA Rivers State) who came from an Aro settlement in Ozuzu Etche

In a similar fashion, prominent Aro men went round founding settlements, Ekpe lodges and Markets just to ensure their network and free flow of slaves and goods down to the port,

There is hardly any part of Southern Igbo land that does not have Aro settlements today, from Izombe to Atta in Owerri area, to Ngwa down to Obio/Akpor and Bonny, and even some parts of Northern Igbo (Anambra and Enugu) has Aro Settlements, however I have no record of any Aro settlements in Western Igbo (Anioma)

Through this settlements they were able to form alliances in some areas with the indigenous people to ensure free flow of slaves, that was the back bone of the confederacy therefore it is worth noting that the Owerri clans corroborated with and struck a deal with the Aro to traffic isoma(isuama) slaves through their territory, guaranteeing the Aro a free passage as long as no Owerri clan was attacked or disturbed, however this did not stop the Aro from establishing shrines all over Southern Igbo with which they controlled and shaped Southern Igbo society, in fact the Aro is part of the reason why the cult of Amadioha/Kamalu was widespread, also why the name of Amadi was widespread, as well as the concept of Diala who cannot be enslaved, which I’ll discuss later...

Some of the Aro settlements I have been able to recollect includes as follows,

Aro Ajatakiri: In Ikwuano, Umuahia, Abia State
Aro Achara: In Ama-asa, Isiala Ngwa, Abia State.
Aro Umu Nkpe: In Isiala Ngwa, Abia State.
Aro Nbawsi: In Isiala Ngwa, Abia State.
Aro Omoba: In Isiala Ngwa, Abia State.
Aro Okporoenyi: In Ikwuano area of Abia State.
Aro Iyama: In Ikwuano, area of Abia State.
Aro Amuru: In Ikwuano, area of Abia State.
Aro Ndizuogu: Ideato area of Imo State (The biggest of all the settlements).
Aro Ndiowu Anambra State
Aro Ndi Ikerionwu: In Anambra State.
Aro Ajalli: In Anambra State.
Aro Nzerem: In Ebonyi State.
Aro Atta Ikeduru Owerri area Imo State
Aro Amokwe: In Udi area of Enugu State.
Aro Isuochi: In Abia State.
Aro Isiokpo/Igwurita Ikwerre area in Rivers State.
Aro Abagana: In Anambra State.
Aro Oru: In Imo State.
Aro Nempi: In Imo State
Aro Ngwa: In Abia State.
Aro Ezeagu: In Enugu State.
Aro Achi: In Enugu State.
Aro Oboro Ite
Around Kalahari: Rivers State
Aro Opobo: In Rivers State.
Aro Uturu: In Abia State
Aro Anwu Anwu: Eziukwu Durunnihe in Umudurunna ABBA Nwangele LGA Imo State
Aro Okija (Ndi Ezennia Awa Okoro Orji): Anambra State
Aro Egbuoma in [oguta] area of Imo

Add any you know of which is not included here.

Next we shall look at how the Aro entrenched their control in Southern Igbo by establishing shrines throughout Southern Igbo and even taking over many of their existing shrines and how the Aro major shrine was founded at Ibritam and how they used it to facilitate the collection and exportation of slaves.

Copied
Credit: Igbo History Facebook page

1 Like

Re: The Aro Settlements And The Confederacy by AkuOlisa: 6:42pm On Sep 12, 2022
Ibini Ukpabi (Long Juju) The home of Chukwu,

During the Aro-Ibibio wars between the Aro and Obong-Oko-Ita over the ownership of Aro Chukwu, they reached a stalemate so the Aro invited Akpa warriors from Akamkpa led by two brothers Akuma and Osei, they also invited A chief priest of Agwu from Edda (near Afikpo) called Nnachi,

To consolidate their victory they assimilated the Ibom-isi (the section where the ibibio lived) into Arochukwu and adopted their shrine... the Ibritam shrine and the deity (the original arusi) within i.e the Ibini Ukpabi
The Oracle was consulted by all and sundry and the ever pragmatic Aro saw the potential,
Nnachi who replaced Akuma as Eze Aro adopted the shrine as the chief Aro shrine and it became the abode of Chukwuabiama (Great Spirit)
The Eze Aro was the Eze Chukwu (chief priest of Chukwu)
The ChukwuAbiama which the shrine was named show the interplay between the Aro and ibibio language, it stems from two words Chukwu (Great Spirit) and Abiama - Abia which is the Ibibio cognate of the Igbo word Dibia meaning a doctor and Ama which means revelation or secret knowledge, thus Abiama is a diviner, the name Chukwuabiama means God of the diviner, and true to the name it was an Oracle to which all and sundry came to consult to know the truth about something or to get answers from God, in those days if one prays at the Oracle and obtains a child he would call him Nwachukwu that is why Nwachukwu surnames are common all over southern Igbo, the other name by which the shrine was also known by “ibini ukpabi” meaning the talking drum of the almighty, has led to the name ukpabi being common in the area.

Since the Oracle recieved devotees from as far as Ejagham, Calabar, Nsukka, down south to Isiokpo, the Aro capitalized on that to trick and sell thousands and thousands of Southern Nigerians into slavery, most people who get missing in the caves were presumed to have been struck dead by Chukwu whereas the Aro kidnapped and smuggled the victim out and sold him to waiting boats at Itu and down to Calabar where they would be shipped off to the new world, never to be seen again...

Re: The Aro Settlements And The Confederacy by AkuOlisa: 6:59pm On Sep 12, 2022
Arondizuogu

Arondizuogu was founded by the use of force by Mazi Izuogu Mgbokpo and his brothers (Iheme) in the mid-14th century. Izuogu Mgbokpo was a charismatic slave merchant who came from Arochukwu to Ọka in search of slaves. He was usually harbored by a friend from Umualaoma where he slept when going in search of slaves and with his goods (slaves). Some of the slaves of Izuogu maintained the name even after they were freed from captivity. Izuogu Mgbokpo has three children and three brothers. The children were Uche (Ndi Uche whose mother was from Isiekenesii), Awa (Ndiawa)and Amazu (Ndiamazu). While the brothers were Imoko (Ndi-imoko), Njoku (Ndi-Njoku) and Akame (Ndi-akaeme). Others are aborigines such as Ogbuonyeoma, Amankwu, Ekwuru Iheme, himself, was his Chief Servant and he came from Isi-Akpu Nise, in Ọka. Iheme and his master Izuogu used all the weapons at their disposal, including the slaves, juju, guns and other equipments for securing slaves which they sold to the European slave merchants, Arondizuogu people refer to themselves as "Izuogu na Iheme".

Early in the 19th century, Mazi Okoli Idozuka was an immigrant from Isi-Akpu Nise to Arondizuogu. As a great slave warrior, he expanded Arondizuogu's boundaries. He later changed his name to Okoro Idozuka, an Aro equivalent of his former name. He was a wealthy ruthless and almost conscienceless slave trader like Izuogu Mgbokpo but was also a great leader. Nwankwo Okoro was the first son of Okoro Idozuka. At the age of 21 he joined his father in the slave trade. ] By collecting slaves and war-captives he was able to build a very large family. When the British came, they made him a Warrant Chief because they believed he could subdue anybody and collect the taxes they desperately needed form them. Until this day, Arondizuogu is the biggest former Aro colony and a land of immigrants settling mainly on the rich land.

Some Places of Interest in Arondizuogu include Mazi Mbonu Ojike Cottage (Village home of Nigeria's late "Boycott king"wink, Mazi Mbonu Ojike at Ndiakeme Uno; Uno Ogologo (a safe house built in 1887 for hiding children during the slave trade era); The Stone Palace (a storey building cast in stone erected by late Chief Green Mbadiwe, West Africa's first millionaire for his father, Umualaoma Nkwo Ochie (old Nkwo).

Mbadiwe Odum at Ndianiche Uno; Ngeze (legendary stream at Ndiakeme Uno); Ogbuti Ezumezu (exotic visitor's chamber of Ikeji music maestro Pericoma Okoye at Ndiogbuonyeoma Ofe Imo). Dr. K.O. Mbadiwe at Ndianiche Uno commissioned by late Prime minister, Alhaji Tafawa Balewa in 1965).Obi Omenuko, homestead of Igwegbe Odum (Omenuko), the hero of Pita Nwana's book.

Ndi izuogu lives in many local government areas in Imo State. Although they have almost the same dialect with the group of Igbos in Anambra state, apart from Ndi Uche (descendants of the first son of Izuogu) that still retain a slightly different language as they live at the border to protect other members of the clan. Their language is slightly affected by their neighbours. It is remarkable that Arondizuogu is the only community that inhabits three local government areas apart from Mbaise. The local Government they inhabit include Okigwe, Ideato North and Onuimo.

Arondizuogu is made up of 20 villages.

Credit: Igbo History

Re: The Aro Settlements And The Confederacy by AkuOlisa: 6:59pm On Sep 12, 2022
"Mazi" In Arochukwu and Arondizuogu

In Aro society, "mazi" is simply a title that is used to politely identify any man whose father is no longer alive. If such a man's father were alive, he would be identified as "nwa mazi" while his father would bear "mazi". For women, the title "ada mazi" exists and is born by all women, irregardless of whether or not the father is alive.

Another thing that I've noticed is that the Aro are the only Igbo people that I know of that refer to their king as "mazi".
Re: The Aro Settlements And The Confederacy by ChinenyeN(m): 7:21pm On Sep 12, 2022
AkuOlisa:
Some accounts say he was a descendant of Oti Eze son of Ife Nta from whom the Ohafia(Uduma Eze), Edda (Imoh Eze) and Abam(Onyerubi Eze) are also descended, Oti is hailed as a supreme ancestor of the Aros
AjaanaOka, a while ago (when we were discussing Amadioha vs Kamanu), you had a question about why Aro would be using an Ohafia deity. I don't know much about this particular story, but if this is the oral tradition shared between Aro and Ohafia, etc. then it might explain the ease of adoption of Kamalu Ikere.

AkuOlisa:
in fact the Aro is part of the reason why the cult of Amadioha/Kamalu was widespread, also why the name of Amadi was widespread, as well as the concept of Diala who cannot be enslaved, which I’ll discuss later...
Very interesting writeup. I will continue to read, but I must pause at this juncture. This is a misstatement. I'm sorry, I cannot help myself, but I will always speak out against a misstatement such as this. Contrary to what the academia (and maybe even Aro people) are believing, Amadioha and Kamanu are not the same cults. In the southern Igbo-speaking region, we distinguish between Amadioha and Kamanu and our oral traditions affirm that Kamanu was introduced into the region after Amadioha had already spread.

This leads me to my next statement, contrary to the notion held by the academia (and maybe even Aro people), the "amadi" in Amadioha is not the same "amadi" as is used with Aro cultural complex. In the Aro cultural complex, "amadi" are "freeborn". In the southern Igbo-speaking cultural complex "amadi" are affluent members of society, well-versed in communal law and perform the role of arbirators. The "amadi" cultural feature in the southern Igbo-speaking axis predates interaction with Aro and so the two are not related. Amadioha (an cult of arbitration) is based on the southern Igbo-speaking "amadi" cultural feature and not the Aro "amadi"/freebon cultural feature.

2 Likes

Re: The Aro Settlements And The Confederacy by AkuOlisa: 7:53pm On Sep 12, 2022
[color=#006600][/color]
ChinenyeN:

AjaanaOka, a while ago (when we were discussing Amadioha vs Kamanu), you had a question about why Aro would be using an Ohafia deity. I don't know much about this particular story, but if this is the oral tradition shared between Aro and Ohafia, etc. then it might explain the ease of adoption of Kamalu Ikere.

Very interesting writeup. I will continue to read, but I must pause at this juncture. This is a misstatement. I'm sorry, I cannot help myself, but I will always speak out against a misstatement such as this. Contrary to what the academia (and maybe even Aro people) are believing, Amadioha and Kamanu are not the same cults. In the southern Igbo-speaking region, we distinguish between Amadioha and Kamanu and our oral traditions affirm that Kamanu was introduced into the region after Amadioha had already spread.

This leads me to my next statement, contrary to the notion held by the academia (and maybe even Aro people), the "amadi" in Amadioha is not the same "amadi" as is used with Aro cultural complex. In the Aro cultural complex, "amadi" are "freeborn". In the southern Igbo-speaking cultural complex "amadi" are affluent members of society, well-versed in communal law and perform the role of arbirators. The "amadi" cultural feature in the southern Igbo-speaking axis predates interaction with Aro and so the two are not related. Amadioha (an cult of arbitration) is based on the southern Igbo-speaking "amadi" cultural feature and not the Aro "amadi"/freebon cultural feature.

More research need to be done on this issue.
Unfortunately a large percentage of igbo History are transferred orally and in the process a lot of accurate data was lost or changed but nevertheless, I will ask some elders And also check our community library for more views
Re: The Aro Settlements And The Confederacy by AjaanaOka(m): 9:37pm On Sep 12, 2022
ChinenyeN:

Hmm. I've seen different accounts of Arọ origins, but I don't recall seeing one where they and the Ohafia shared a common descent.

Personally, I think the Ohafia custom of entering alliances/blood pacts (called Ukwuzi ) with groups in the Cross River area, including the Arọ, may be sufficient in explaining the adoption of Kamalu Ikere.

1 Like

Re: The Aro Settlements And The Confederacy by ChinenyeN(m): 12:57am On Sep 13, 2022
AjaanaOka:
Hmm. I've seen different accounts of Arọ origins, but I don't recall seeing one where they and the Ohafia shared a common descent.

Personally, I think the Ohafia custom of entering alliances/blood pacts (called Ukwuzi ) with groups in the Cross River area, including the Arọ, may be sufficient in explaining the adoption of Kamalu Ikere.

Fair enough. Likewise, this is my first time hearing a mention/hint of shared origins between Aro and Ohafia. I didn't know what to make of it, but I figured if it held any material weight then it might help explain. But the culture of ukwuzi alliances is satisfactory.
Re: The Aro Settlements And The Confederacy by Maazieze(m): 5:56am On Sep 13, 2022
Incredible history thread

1 Like

Re: The Aro Settlements And The Confederacy by AjaanaOka(m): 9:37am On Sep 13, 2022
ChinenyeN:

Fair enough. Likewise, this is my first time hearing a mention/hint of shared origins between Aro and Ohafia. I didn't know what to make of it, but I figured if it held any material weight then it might help explain. But the culture of ukwuzi alliances is satisfactory.

On the issue of Ohafia and these ukwuzi alliances, do you know anything about their (Ohafia's) possible involvement in long-range commerce and craftsmanship (eg., blacksmithing). I keep getting the feeling from tantalizing bits here and there that they were more involved in these activities than is expressed in the literature. All the emphasis is on their role as 'mercenary' warriors for the Arọ.

I'm equally looking for more details of their relations with the Obolo. The 'Nna' prefix in Nna Biget, an early Obolo ruler, appears to me to be of Ohafia provenance, given that it widely appears in Ohafia male names of old.
Re: The Aro Settlements And The Confederacy by ChinenyeN(m): 3:32pm On Sep 13, 2022
AjaanaOka, what tantalizing bits are you coming across?

I'm aware of Ohafia and Obolo traditions that discuss contact between the two. Ohafia (at least part of Ohafia) migrated from present day Rivers state to their present location, sojourning at Obolo along the way. Ejituwu believed the metal works Obolo has cannot be credited to the Obolo since they have no metallurgy traditions. So Ejituwu tentatively credited them with the Ohafia. It's interesting that he would do this, since the Ohafia are not the only ones that had contact with the Obolo during the Portuguese era. The Oron, the Ibeno, etc. various groups resided in Obolo (some even integrated), but Ejituwu credits the Ohafia (who did not integrate). That might mean something, but I am hesitant to believe so for the below reasons.

This Obolo-Ohafia account is the only account that I am aware of where someone directly suggests Ohafia of smithing. I am not aware of any others. This makes it difficult for me to be truly convinced, since I also don't know of any Ohafia traditions that touch on it at all (as far as I have seen) or much (if there are some things I have not yet seen). Now that said, there are instances of Ohafia-born individuals who became itinerant smiths. I remember reading about one Eke Kalu born in the late 1800s. It is very unlikely that he would have been the first Ohafia blacksmith. However, considering when Eke Kalu's story takes place, I'm left wondering whether we can attribute the itinerant smithing as the influence from a nearby culture-group like the Abriba. Ohafia would have been living within the same regional complex as Abiriba for at least the last 300 - 400 years. It's very possible that itinerant smithing would have been learned from them. But Ohafia's head hunting culture is well-established, even as far back as the time when they sojourned with Obolo (if we are to take the oral traditions seriously).

If I take a step back to think of it, for a community like Ohafia, that seems to have traversed a non-trivial distance between its previous settlements and it current location while maintaining a head hunting culture, loss of and/or damage to weapons is a serious liability. A community cannot remain as head hunters for long withing having a way to resolve this liability, and I can only think of two real ways to solve it. One can simply collect it from other communities, or know how to reforge found metals into the weapons that one needs. A combination of both is also reasonable. It seems Ohafia's culture favors the first option (collecting it from other communities) via ukwuzi. Granted, we do not know when the ukwuzi practice began, but considering it is where their society ended up, I suspect that prior to ukwuzi, the Ohafia had to make do with taking it off the dead they killed or from the communities they sacked. I find it difficult to believe Ohafia would go from smithing its own weapons to ukwuzi (unless they figured they either lacked the manpower, resources and technical expertise so they had to give it up).

Also, considering the role that ukwuzi played for Ohafia as they traversed as head hunters (offering ukwuzi in exchange for goods and services), I suspect that head hunting was their primary long-range commerce, if we can call it that. I don't see much evidence for any other form of itinerant trade (not even metal work).
Re: The Aro Settlements And The Confederacy by AjaanaOka(m): 4:37pm On Sep 13, 2022
Bigfrancis21, Fulaman198, odumchi,

Spambot hid the post directly above this one, and probably banned the poster (ChinenyeN) as well. Can you please rectify that?
Re: The Aro Settlements And The Confederacy by ChinenyeN(m): 1:40am On Sep 16, 2022
Cc: Bigfrancis21, Fulaman198, odumchi.

I understand everyone has a life that they live so no rush. I just wanted to bump this back up to your attentions, in case it was missed.
Re: The Aro Settlements And The Confederacy by AjaanaOka(m): 5:19am On Sep 16, 2022
I don't think any of them has logged in in quite a while.

Also, I'll imagine that they all get mentioned multiple times a day, so it's easy to miss one or two. Or three.
Re: The Aro Settlements And The Confederacy by powerhouse3(m): 11:58am On Sep 19, 2022
The great ibibio kingdom that fell due to betrayal of sharing proceed of and limiting of freedom of the slave even when they heard slave trading has been abolish

From arochukw,to ngwa ,to aba to ohafia to abiriba where once ibibio land ,..but they lost due to betrayal by people they believe we're together and lack of man population and the opposition hold of gun then..and we ask who sold the gun to them ...where did they slave got the gun

It's was the fall of those place and they betrayal they witness that present southern bloc decided to join Cameroon..

And interesting enough,when ever Nsibidi is invoke,till present they keep praying for the prosperity of the abiriba, because the rule were there and we can't expunged it out..

But it's won't happen again....we are all fine now
Re: The Aro Settlements And The Confederacy by KingOKON: 12:03am On Sep 22, 2022
AkuOlisa:

The Aro confederacy has its roots in the founding of Aro Chukwu, Arochukwu is situated by the Enyong creek and the Aro side of the creek is called Unene while the Ibibio side is called Iwere

Aro Chukwu clan or group has three lineages, the Eze Agwu, the Oke Nnachi and the Ibom isii,
They coalesced to form the current Aro people in the following order,

Eze Agwu Nnobia led his group from a North Easternly direction on the Eastern banks of the River Cross across on the western bank to settle in the current location of Aro, some accounts say he was a descendant of Oti Eze son of Ife Nta from whom the Ohafia(Uduma Eze), Edda (Imoh Eze) and Abam(Onyerubi Eze) are also descended, Oti is hailed as a supreme ancestor of the Aros

They met the Ibibio in the new land they had settled, the aborigines of the land had been some Ekoid groups known as the Nchalagha and the Losi before the Ibibio also settled alongside, so when the Aro came they found these three groups domiciled there and lived with them until some disagreement over a marriage sparked the Aro ibibio wars, which ended in a stalemate, prompting Eze Agwu Nnobia to call the assistance of an Edda Chief Priest, Nnachi Ipia, after they struck a deal with Akpokpo Okon the half brother of the Ibibio Chief at Obong Oko Ita which failed, they enlisted the help of some clan of Akpa warriors from Akamkpa in cross River, they new clan were led by Osim and Akum Nnubi, they defeated the Ibibio and that was how Arochukwu was founded,
The defeated and assimilated Ibibio formed the Ibom-isii lineage of Arochukwu and Obinkita (said to be a corruption of obong oko ita) the Eze Agwu lineage were formed by the Eze Agwu group while the Oke Nnachi lineage were comprised of Nnachi and Akpa descendants,
Akum Nnubi was the first Eze Aro,

With the founding of Aro, it didn’t take long before they grew into a powerful clan, quite adept in blacksmithing, mercantile activities and their most ingenious invention of all, the shrines and the settlements,
Three things marked the Aro rise to power: slaves, the shrines and the settlements
As the Aro expanded they wandered through the hinterland establishing settlements, markets and shrines for the sole purpose of trade which were largely comprosed of slaves, they were able to build a vast slave empire, a connection of Aro settlements and shrines which had a stranglehold on all Southern Igbo society and would shape them forever,

To build their settlement and hold their power the Aro took with them warrior clans such as their fellow ife Nta people: Ohafia, Edda Abam, Enna and even Ekoi mercenaries,
These were renown head hunters and could clear entire villages,

One typical example is the Aro Chief Izuogu Mgbokpo and Ikpa Ora who led his Aro/Abam warriors to sack and pillage the original Isuama settlement of Ikpa Ora, and founded Aro Izuogu in it’s place,

Another example is Okpo Nwagidi the founder of Isiokpo (currently in Ikwerre LGA Rivers State) who came from an Aro settlement in Ozuzu Etche

In a similar fashion, prominent Aro men went round founding settlements, Ekpe lodges and Markets just to ensure their network and free flow of slaves and goods down to the port,

There is hardly any part of Southern Igbo land that does not have Aro settlements today, from Izombe to Atta in Owerri area, to Ngwa down to Obio/Akpor and Bonny, and even some parts of Northern Igbo (Anambra and Enugu) has Aro Settlements, however I have no record of any Aro settlements in Western Igbo (Anioma)

Through this settlements they were able to form alliances in some areas with the indigenous people to ensure free flow of slaves, that was the back bone of the confederacy therefore it is worth noting that the Owerri clans corroborated with and struck a deal with the Aro to traffic isoma(isuama) slaves through their territory, guaranteeing the Aro a free passage as long as no Owerri clan was attacked or disturbed, however this did not stop the Aro from establishing shrines all over Southern Igbo with which they controlled and shaped Southern Igbo society, in fact the Aro is part of the reason why the cult of Amadioha/Kamalu was widespread, also why the name of Amadi was widespread, as well as the concept of Diala who cannot be enslaved, which I’ll discuss later...

Some of the Aro settlements I have been able to recollect includes as follows,

Aro Ajatakiri: In Ikwuano, Umuahia, Abia State
Aro Achara: In Ama-asa, Isiala Ngwa, Abia State.
Aro Umu Nkpe: In Isiala Ngwa, Abia State.
Aro Nbawsi: In Isiala Ngwa, Abia State.
Aro Omoba: In Isiala Ngwa, Abia State.
Aro Okporoenyi: In Ikwuano area of Abia State.
Aro Iyama: In Ikwuano, area of Abia State.
Aro Amuru: In Ikwuano, area of Abia State.
Aro Ndizuogu: Ideato area of Imo State (The biggest of all the settlements).
Aro Ndiowu Anambra State
Aro Ndi Ikerionwu: In Anambra State.
Aro Ajalli: In Anambra State.
Aro Nzerem: In Ebonyi State.
Aro Atta Ikeduru Owerri area Imo State
Aro Amokwe: In Udi area of Enugu State.
Aro Isuochi: In Abia State.
Aro Isiokpo/Igwurita Ikwerre area in Rivers State.
Aro Abagana: In Anambra State.
Aro Oru: In Imo State.
Aro Nempi: In Imo State
Aro Ngwa: In Abia State.
Aro Ezeagu: In Enugu State.
Aro Achi: In Enugu State.
Aro Oboro Ite
Around Kalahari: Rivers State
Aro Opobo: In Rivers State.
Aro Uturu: In Abia State
Aro Anwu Anwu: Eziukwu Durunnihe in Umudurunna ABBA Nwangele LGA Imo State
Aro Okija (Ndi Ezennia Awa Okoro Orji): Anambra State
Aro Egbuoma in [oguta] area of Imo

Add any you know of which is not included here.

Next we shall look at how the Aro entrenched their control in Southern Igbo by establishing shrines throughout Southern Igbo and even taking over many of their existing shrines and how the Aro major shrine was founded at Ibritam and how they used it to facilitate the collection and exportation of slaves.

Copied
Credit: Igbo History Facebook page

LIES, there was never war between Ibibios and Aros/IBO's, it was rebellion against slaves and the Ibibio Chief of Ibom
Aros never had any identity, all the cultures and traditions they had was the one they inherited from the Ibibio
The long juju ibini ukpabi, the Ekpe lodges, nsibidi even the language spoken by the leaders were all Ibibio in origin

1 Like

Re: The Aro Settlements And The Confederacy by powerhouse3(m): 1:40pm On Sep 22, 2022
KingOKON:

LIES, there was never war between Ibibios and Aros/IBO's, it was rebellion against slaves and the Ibibio Chief of Ibom
Aros never had any identity, all the cultures and traditions they had was the one they inherited from the Ibibio
The long juju ibini ukpabi, the Ekpe lodges, nsibidi even the language spoken by the leaders were all Ibibio in origin

You know,I see all Igbo now doing the itam Ekpe (lion Cap) as thier identify and I smile..

They lion Cap was to be put on buy chief and each side the tail of cap goes signify where the belong to and the position they held ,but we now see even a child putting on the cap and putting the tail backward ,..

Even till now everyone in abiriba still maintain that culture of okon aku,..and they call thier youth mkparawa and thier old men ette..

Just like peter obi ,I will tell them to go and verify

1 Like

Re: The Aro Settlements And The Confederacy by Christistruth00: 5:22pm On Sep 22, 2022
It was the Arochukwu Confederacy that prevented Igboland from reaching the Sea in order

to preserve their Monopoly on the Slave Trade
Re: The Aro Settlements And The Confederacy by Christistruth00: 5:26pm On Sep 22, 2022
It was the Arochukwu Confederacy that prevented Igboland from reaching the Sea in order

to preserve their Monopoly on the Slave Trade otherwise Aba was less than a days Journey to the

Sea on foot

Arochukwu Territory was wedged between Igboland and the shortest route to the Coast

They used their Ubini Shrine Fraud to Scare those that would have migrated there naturally
Re: The Aro Settlements And The Confederacy by Maazieze(m): 5:29pm On Sep 22, 2022
Christistruth00:

to preserve their Monopoly on the Slave Trade otherwise Aba was less than a days Journey to the

Sea on foot

Arochukwu Territory was wedged between Igboland and the shortest route to the Coast

why do i have a feeling you have no idea where arochukwu is?
Re: The Aro Settlements And The Confederacy by Christistruth00: 5:30pm On Sep 22, 2022
Maazieze:

why do i have a feeling you have no idea where arochukwu is?

Because I do

Arochukwu Controlled the routes to the sea Coast from Igboland

It was not only Arochukwu they Controllled

That was part of why the British had to fight them

In order to Clear them out of the way so Igboland could access the Sea

and be accessible from the Sea

The worse part was that the Arochukwu themselves refused to settle on the Coast

While preventing others that would have

1 Like

Re: The Aro Settlements And The Confederacy by AjaanaOka(m): 7:02pm On Sep 22, 2022
Christistruth00:

Sea on foot

They used their Ubini Shrine Fraud to Scare those that would have migrated there naturally

Your theory is wrong, and betrays a lack of familiarity with Igbo history.
Re: The Aro Settlements And The Confederacy by Maazieze(m): 7:05pm On Sep 22, 2022
Christistruth00:

Because I do

Arochukwu Controlled the routes to the sea Coast from Igboland

It was not only Arochukwu they Controllled

That was part of why the British had to fight them

In order to Clear them out of the way so Igboland could access the Sea

and be accessible from the Sea

The worse part was that the Arochukwu themselves refused to settle on the Coast

While preventing others that would have

your narrative claims they prevent people from settling the coast but thats not true, what exactly leads you to that conclusion, also i would like to learn of the aro confederacy's territorial extent, its often vague and it's not clear which towns were within the confederation
Re: The Aro Settlements And The Confederacy by Christistruth00: 8:16pm On Sep 22, 2022
AjaanaOka:

Your theory is wrong, and betrays a lack of familiarity with Igbo history.

Please read up on the Arochukwu British War especially the reasons for it

It was the War that opened up Igboland to the outside World
Re: The Aro Settlements And The Confederacy by AjaanaOka(m): 9:21pm On Sep 22, 2022
Christistruth00:

Please read up on the Arochukwu British War especially the reasons for it

It was the War that opened up Igboland to the outside World

I'll say it again: you're unfamiliar with Igbo history and it shows. Reading a couple of online paragraphs on the Anglo-Aro war that gloss over the details doesn't mean you know much about the situation in Igboland in precolonial times. You actually don't.

I'd suggest you read Robert D Jackson's "Twenty Years' War". It a well-written thesis and goes into important details. You could also read the relevant Aro chapters in Professor Afigbo's "Ropes of Sand".

The British over-estimated and misunderstood the nature of Aro trading network in the Igbo hinterland. The Aro were not a political empire who could in any way keep such a stranglehold on the Igbo that they could not access the Coast. The British were to find out how badly mistaken they were about their phantom "Aro empire" after the end of their war with the Aro, when they found out that the defeat of Arochukwu didn't give them control of more than a few miles beyond Arochukwu. The British spent the next two decades fighting people they (wrongly) assumed had been conquered with the Aro.

Throughout the time Aro hegemony was at its peak, adventurous Igbo elements from the interior had access to the Coast. The Aro were not in any position to block that access. There were Ohafia elements in Andoni. There were Nkwerre elements in Ogoni and all over the Eastern Delta area. Ngwa or Ndoki elements were moving south and played an important role in the settling of Bonny. Awka and Abiriba blacksmiths were in Calabar. And blacksmiths from Agulu-Umana in Enugu even went beyond Calabar and made their presence felt in the southern Cameroon area.

That the borders of Igboland did not stretch down to embrace the coastline has nothing to do with any Aro stranglehold. It has more to do with two factors:

1. There were other ethnic groups already in occupation of the area, who were in any case better adapted to living in mangrove swamps and creeks than the landward Igbo.

2. The coastline of the Eastern Delta was really not attractive to a terrestrial agricultural people like the Igbo.

6 Likes

Re: The Aro Settlements And The Confederacy by Nikkitaboy(m): 10:48pm On Sep 22, 2022
KingOKON:

There was a war
and its that war that pushed ibibio to their present location

Nsibidi originated from ejagham and spread to ibibio just like it did to Igbo but the igbos popularized it
ibibios nevet for once had Aros as their slave

so stop being pained and accept history rather than mourning for what happened years ago

2 Likes

Re: The Aro Settlements And The Confederacy by KingOKON: 6:50am On Sep 24, 2022
Nikkitaboy:

There was a war

Nsibidi originated from ejagham and spread to ibibio just like it did to Igbo but the igbos popularized it

so stop being pained and accept history rather than mourning for what happened years ago

Your fought a war but you ended up adopting everything of the other tribe?

You mean to tell me you had no god, dress mode, language and culture but that of the people you fought with it, does that makes sense?

You are very very dumb, when did the slave rebellion happened in Iniokon Ibom( Arochukwu) against the Chief that you think other Ibibio settlements like Itu, Uruan wasn't in existence already?

Aros only rebelled against Obong Okon Ita the chief of Iniokon Ibom, Itu the settlement just accros the river were Ibibio longed lived never saw it as anything and perhaps happy that they need not contest the port with Obong Okon ita and this they did because Aros never controlled any port or had any settlement in Ibibio land except the hinterland were they preyed on the IBO's
Nsibidi only got to Igbo land via the Aros because of their origin, Ekoi Ibibios are of the same stock and the Ekpo/ Ekpe cult group can never be claimed by any as this is a practice though may vary in levels from enclaves to enclaves but the form of writing nsibidi is core

Can you tell me the killings of twins was something that spread or was just natural to some enclaves?

Aros may have left their footprints among the Ibos but not to us because we know who they are and are also seen as Ibibio /Ekoi and Ibos remnants

1 Like

Re: The Aro Settlements And The Confederacy by powerhouse3(m): 4:10pm On Sep 24, 2022
Nikkitaboy:

There was a war

...You said the ibibio never had the aros as a slave ,.. history is somehow bitter but that's the truth, of course not only the aros was a captive as that time ,..but the Igbo were in majority and some indigene which were also held captive join in the rebel while the other side of ibibio were happy that obong ita wing need to be curtail so they can claim the sea..that's why I ask in my previous post that how did a captive have access to guns?

And people also believe that obong ita was greedy because,while the Efik has ceded Akpabuyo to thier captive ,obong didn't do same and where the aros dwell together natural was meant to be a slave settlement...

Just like peter obi,go and verify
Re: The Aro Settlements And The Confederacy by Nikkitaboy(m): 7:42pm On Sep 24, 2022
powerhouse3:
...You said the ibibio never had the aros as a slave ,.. history is somehow bitter but that's the truth, of course not only the aros was a captive as that time ,..but the Igbo were in majority and some indigene which were also held captive join in the rebel while the other side of ibibio were happy that obong ita wing need to be curtail so they can claim the sea..that's why I ask in my previous post that how did a captive have access to guns?

And people also believe that obong ita was greedy because,while the Efik has ceded Akpabuyo to thier captive ,obong didn't do same and where the aros dwell together natural was meant to be a slave settlement...

Just like peter obi,go and verify

so where are the aro slaves now??
if you guys just cm out, u ppl jst feel the urge to claim superiority against igbo
i no blame una, na biafra cause the over familiarity

wasn't it the aros that won the ibibios and sent them parking, absorbs some into their communities, now una don come out with slave again

2 Likes

Re: The Aro Settlements And The Confederacy by Nikkitaboy(m): 7:47pm On Sep 24, 2022
KingOKON:

You mean to tell me you had no god, dress mode, language and culture but that of the people you fought with it, does that makes sense?

You are very very dumb, when did the slave rebellion happened in Iniokon Ibom( Arochukwu) against the Chief that you think other Ibibio settlements like Itu, Uruan wasn't in existence already?

Aros only rebelled against Obong Okon Ita the chief of Iniokon Ibom, Itu the settlement just accros the river were Ibibio longed lived never saw it as anything and perhaps happy that they need not contest the port with Obong Okon ita and this they did because Aros never controlled any port or had any settlement in Ibibio land except the hinterland were they preyed on the IBO's
Nsibidi only got to Igbo land via the Aros because of their origin, Ekoi Ibibios are of the same stock and the Ekpo/ Ekpe cult group can never be claimed by any as this is a practice though may vary in levels from enclaves to enclaves but the form of writing nsibidi is core

Can you tell me the killings of twins was something that spread or was just natural to some enclaves?

Aros may have left their footprints among the Ibos but not to us because we know who they are and are also seen as Ibibio /Ekoi and Ibos remnants

First of all when did ekoi become ibibio
second of all what's ur point?? that aros were slaves that ended up defeating their masters ibibio and drove them away, can you hear yourself
third of all, they are close to each other, that ekoi that you claim is igbo and other cross riverine tribes practise new yam festival, who do u think that brought it to them??

2 Likes

Re: The Aro Settlements And The Confederacy by KingOKON: 4:07am On Sep 25, 2022
Nikkitaboy:

First of all when did ekoi become ibibio
second of all what's ur point?? that aros were slaves that ended up defeating their masters ibibio and drove them away, can you hear yourself
third of all, they are close to each other, that ekoi that you claim is igbo and other cross riverine tribes practise new yam festival, who do u think that brought it to them??

Reading your comments forced me into taking a second look at you and truly you are a boy, I can clearly see Nnamdi KANU orientation and education on you instead of deep academics and research.

Read the works of this men, the internet is willing to assist

Adiele Afigbo

Dr. Nwankwo T. Nwaezeigwe

Both are Igbos, cause if I should give you materials from Unical or UniUyo or the writings of Non Igbos about Aros and who they are it may not sit well with you

Read deeply to avoid this New yam nonsense, your profile is new and I would not like to entertain proponents of Mazi Nnamdi KANU mentality but deep thinkers

1 Like

Re: The Aro Settlements And The Confederacy by ThickSharon123(f): 5:59am On Sep 25, 2022
KingOKON:

First of all, stop feeling special. Aros didn't touch Ibibios and Efiks not because they were scared of them but because they saw theirselves as cousin. I doubt you're from there, or you're even Ibibio but only looking for a way to jam two heads together being the negatives of social media.

If Aro wanted to take Obong Ita port it would be wiped out in a day. They had the army, they had the people. But being cousins they made a pact, that's all. Even in that Port in Calabar and Ibibio side Aro had its presence. But it preferred exchanging and trading with lands that spoke it's language, that is the Bonny and Opobo areas, that's why it boomed in that period.

Even Calabar Port and the rest boomed because of Aros, read books and understand. I don't know which books you read that said Aro only traded inland. I dare you to bring such books, or post it here let's see.

pS: I am not trying to call Aro, oh mighty great. But where you see truth, say truth and stop trying to cover up or make it suit you.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Look At This Jewish Ritual! / The Coronation Of OBA EREDIAUWA Of Benin Kingdom / Igbo Language Has Strong Links To Bantu Languages - Igbodefender.com

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 136
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.