Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,912 members, 7,821,181 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:21 AM

Obafemi Awolowo, Nnamdi Azikwe, And Ahmadu Bello, All Clueless Founding Fathers. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obafemi Awolowo, Nnamdi Azikwe, And Ahmadu Bello, All Clueless Founding Fathers. (6748 Views)

Obiano And Oshiomhole At 4th Nnamdi Azikwe's Lecture Awka / See How Ahmadu Bello Greeted Queen Elizabeth On Her Visit 2 Nigeria In 1956(pic / Breaking News Yaradua's Health - We Are All Clueless Those In Power And Us (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obafemi Awolowo, Nnamdi Azikwe, And Ahmadu Bello, All Clueless Founding Fathers. by Onlytruth(m): 12:49am On Jun 09, 2010
Personally, I think that Nigeria's founding fathers were clueless, and I am particularly pained because they: Nnamdi Azikiwe, Obafemi Awolowo, and Ahmadu Bello were all regarded as being very well educated and visionaries. Events of the last 50 years in Nigeria question their education, wisdom and vision.

How did Nigeria lose Western Cameroon under the watch of Nnamdi Azikiwe? If Zik had a clue, arguably all other ills that befell Nigeria would have been avoided including Bakassi. The man believed he could build a house upside down.

Obafemi Awolowo never understood that he could build Yoruba land without destroying Yoruba cosmopolitanism which made it possible for the independence movement to take off from the west under Herbert Macaulay. He couldn't see that the Yoruba could lead a new Nigeria by those set of values and their educational advantage at the time. By instigating carpet crossing, he killed all those and planted a culture of suspicion and hate. 

Ahmadu Bello, not withstanding his education, believed that a new Nigeria could be led by the less educated section of the country. If he could accept British rule (which basically put the educated man ahead of his illiterate counterpart), why couldn't he allow his fellow Africans  who were more educated to lead the country? What was he thinking?
Re: Obafemi Awolowo, Nnamdi Azikwe, And Ahmadu Bello, All Clueless Founding Fathers. by Onlytruth(m): 1:06am On Jun 09, 2010
The most painful aspect of this whole saga is that as of 1957, Eastern Nigeria and Western Nigeria were basically independent.
Assuming that both Zik and Awo were waiting for the north, why was it necessary to accept a less educated leadership under the north? Why! undecided undecided

Where was EVERYBODY ELSE when this weird deal was going on?

Were these three guys that powerful?
Re: Obafemi Awolowo, Nnamdi Azikwe, And Ahmadu Bello, All Clueless Founding Fathers. by babapupa: 1:14am On Jun 09, 2010
Attention:::

Do not post in this thread/support ignorance and stupidity, keep away.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo, Nnamdi Azikwe, And Ahmadu Bello, All Clueless Founding Fathers. by Onlytruth(m): 1:15am On Jun 09, 2010
babapupa:

As you can see this thread is not for illiterates. So move on.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo, Nnamdi Azikwe, And Ahmadu Bello, All Clueless Founding Fathers. by Onlytruth(m): 1:34am On Jun 09, 2010
[size=14pt]The Cameroons Unification Revisited (1): On the Road to the Plebiscite of February 11, 1961[/size]

By Dibussi Tande

(Originally posted on the Camnet Internet forum on 11 February 1995)

Southerncameroonsmap It's [45] years to the day since the British Southern Cameroons voted, in a United Nations-sponsored plebiscite, to unify with the French Cameroons (then known as La Republique du Cameroun) to form the Federal Republic of Cameroon.

Over the years, there has been a huge amount of literature about the state and outcome of that union. This posting will not dwell on the issue but will instead  focus on some of the reservations expressed primarily in Southern Cameroons before the plebiscite. I leave it to the reader to compare the pre-plebiscite predictions to today’s realities.

Passionate Debates
The plebiscite came amidst a passionate and intense debate between the integrationists who wanted Southern Cameroons to become part of  Nigerian, and the unificationists who dreamt of a great "Pan-Kamerunian Nation" made up of the British and French Cameroons.

In spite of the numerous reassurances from President Ahidjo that unification was not about the assimilation of  Southern Cameroons, there were strident cries of protests and shrill warnings about the impending unification.

In a message to the people of Southern Cameroons a couple of weeks before the plebiscite, Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa, the Nigerian Prime Minister, pointed out to them that they were being asked to choose between "certainty and security:  an honorable status as an integral part of a big country", or assimilation by a country with an alien culture and a government which had made no clear promises to the people of  the British Cameroon:

"If you vote against Nigeria, I cannot see how you can avoid living a life of poverty, hardship and under the constant shadow of violence, " he warned.

This view was shared by many in the Southern Cameroons, including a leading newspaper "Cameroon Champion", which described Southern Cameroon Prime Minister Foncha’s obsession with the utopic bilingual Cameroon federation where Southern Cameroons will "finally be free" as "Foncha's false Jerusalem" in its Feb. 8, 1961 issue.

Even in La Republique du Cameroun which really had nothing to lose from the whole deal, there were many who believed strongly that unification was uncalled for. Writing in a local paper, a native of Ntem Division in the Centre Province asked a fundamental question that is still relevant to this day:

Qu'elle avantage y' a-t-il a demander la réunification des deux Cameroun si, a première vue, nous devons considérer nos frères Bamiléké et Bassa comme des étrangers dans notre propre département?  Dans quelle catégorie rangerions-nous un Camerounais originaire du Cameroun Britannique si nous nous considérons nous-mêmes comme des ennemis et si le simple fait de dire Bassa ou Bamileke dans le Ntem devient (, ) un crime méritent la mort?

However, the direst prediction about the outcome of the union between the British and French Cameroons was made by the Southern Cameroons leader of opposition and the territory's first Premier, Dr. EML ENDELEY. This prediction, which basically promised Southern Cameroons fire and brimstone in the event of  the “Kamerun option” winning the day, was contained in a Cameroon Peoples National Convention (CPNC) pamphlet published on the eve of the plebiscite. Endeley’s CNPC described the message as "eternal evidence of the full note of WARNING that is being sounded in good time to all Cameroon people before they make their historic choice of February 11." Excerpts of this document are available in another posting.

On February 11, 1961, the people of Southern Cameroons went to the polls to choose between two options:

(a) Do you wish to achieve independence by joining the independent Federal Republic of Nigeria?
    or
    (b) Do you wish to achieve independence by joining the independent Republic of Cameroon?

Endeley’s dire warnings failed to sway voters and Prime Minister John Ngu Foncha’s pro-unification KNDP carried the day. Southern Cameroonians voted overwhelmingly (70,49%) to achieve independence by joining La Republique du Cameroun while Northern Cameroons, which also took part in the plebiscite, opted for remaining as a part of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

According to Francis Wache (Cameroon Life Magazine, March 1991), as soon as it became obvious that Foncha's "Pan-Kamerunist" option had won the day,

,  a song rippled through the grassfields surpassable only, perhaps, by the dry season fires in the area: The chant ran:

Foncha has walloped Endeley
    Foncha has walloped Endeley
    If Foncha hadn't been there
    Endeley would have sold us.

However, close to a century later, the pan-Kamerunian dream had become a nightmare for the people of Southern Cameroons.  As Wache points out in the same CamLife article,

Today, thirty years after the event, a song is being hummed through the length and breadth of the Western shore of the Mungo:

Because Foncha trounced Endeley
    Because Foncha trounced Endeley
    If Foncha had not trounced Endeley
    We wouldn't have been sold."

John Ngu Foncha, the "architect of the unification" did not challenge this view at the twilight of his life as evidenced by his 1990 letter of resignation from the ruling CPDM, by his heart-wrenching mea culpa at the 1993 All Anglophone Conference in Buea, and by his little-known statement to the 1994 Constitutional Consultative Commission, excerpts of which are available in another posting.

http://www.dibussi.com/2006/02/the_cameroons_u.html

Re: Obafemi Awolowo, Nnamdi Azikwe, And Ahmadu Bello, All Clueless Founding Fathers. by Onlytruth(m): 1:37am On Jun 09, 2010
From the article above, it is evident that a little more commitment on the side of the NCNC leadership (basically in assisting Endeley) could have swayed this plebiscite to Nigeria's advantage.

Securing this one alone could have had a profound effect on the way Nigeria turned out in later part of the 60s.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo, Nnamdi Azikwe, And Ahmadu Bello, All Clueless Founding Fathers. by udezue(m): 1:41am On Jun 09, 2010
You are very right. Those 3 men were completely clueless and incompetent. Zik remains the biggest liability to ever hit the East. He was way too ahead of himself. While trying to gain political prominence across Africa he messed things up for us. The loss of SW Cameroun was a big blunder. Why reduce the size and power of ur own region? Though Awolowo and his fellow tribal simpletons were destroying every chance of Southerners / Nigerians being able to play politics without being so tribal Zik went back to the East to commit the same offense against Eyo Ita the Premier.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo, Nnamdi Azikwe, And Ahmadu Bello, All Clueless Founding Fathers. by sjeezy8: 1:49am On Jun 09, 2010
babapupa:

lol I have to make atleast ONE post on this thread.

@poster if Obafemi Awolowo, Nnamdi Azikwe, And Ahmadu Bello, are All Clueless Founding Fathers what is ojukwu? What did he ever achieve? He didnt do shiot as the head of the east and he even failed at making a biafra a country.

So I guess that makes Ojukwu a failure- If biafra was a country today one could atleast give him credit- but its not he is a failure.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo, Nnamdi Azikwe, And Ahmadu Bello, All Clueless Founding Fathers. by AndreUweh(m): 1:51am On Jun 09, 2010
The Western Cameroun was not originally a part of Nigeria. The league of nations handed over the territory to the British imperial govt to be administered through Nigeria. It was not in the original plan to keep W. Cameroun under Nigeria. They had a right to reunite with their other half. As a result, a plebiscite was organised and they chose to opt out of Nigeria. Zik nor Nigeria had no right to hold them back. So count Azikiwe out.
Zik as a nationalist, had only one intention-to win power from colonial masters for Nigeria. Was that achieved or not?.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo, Nnamdi Azikwe, And Ahmadu Bello, All Clueless Founding Fathers. by EzeUche(m): 4:15am On Jun 09, 2010
sjeezy8:

@poster if Obafemi Awolowo, Nnamdi Azikwe, And Ahmadu Bello, are All Clueless Founding Fathers what is ojukwu? What did he ever achieve? He didnt do shiot as the head of the east and he even failed at making a biafra a country.

So I guess that makes Ojukwu a failure- If biafra was a country today one could atleast give him credit- but its not he is a failure.

Why would you mention Ojukwu? He was too young to be considered a Founding Father of Nigeria.

This is about Awolowo, Azikiwe and Bello.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo, Nnamdi Azikwe, And Ahmadu Bello, All Clueless Founding Fathers. by udezue(m): 4:29am On Jun 09, 2010
Ezeuche
Man that dude is freakin dumb shyt makes no damn sense.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo, Nnamdi Azikwe, And Ahmadu Bello, All Clueless Founding Fathers. by Remii(m): 4:41am On Jun 09, 2010
Sometimes I wonder about the thought process of some Nairalanders, these leaders deserve commendation and not insults, most of them were at the ages of NLanders with very limited exposures yet they did what they did. Everything was going good before the military coup of 1966 and that was the beginning of the end. The west in particular had development plans for every 5yrs up to the 1st 25yrs after Independence. When Awolowo got to federal with Gowon he developed same plan for Nigeria, but around 1970, after the war he observed the military govt no longer keen on the plan anymore. that was the main reason he gave for pulling out of the govt.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo, Nnamdi Azikwe, And Ahmadu Bello, All Clueless Founding Fathers. by EzeUche(m): 4:42am On Jun 09, 2010
udezue:

Ezeuche
Man that dude is freakin dumb shyt makes no damn sense.

I can see, why would he find the need to mention Ojukwu. Now I know these people are insane!
Re: Obafemi Awolowo, Nnamdi Azikwe, And Ahmadu Bello, All Clueless Founding Fathers. by Nenum(m): 5:25am On Jun 09, 2010
In other to have a proper picture of the style of the pre and post independent Nigerian politician.
i would recommend we go back that is if the following literature were ignore

*Chief the Honourable Minister - T.M. ALUKO and
*A man of the people - Chinua Achebe

You see, yes our founding father's asked or drove as you may wish their British colonial master's away, but the next question should be "what was their true goal".

If you are able to answer that, then you would be able to fit the pieces together from 1960- till these present generation of politician and leader's.

Like in 1999, everyone including our politicians wanted the military out, again i would ask "What was the true goal of our politician"

My dear it is the same story just been re-cycled to these present day.

In terms of pushing the voice of the masses in public while silently scheming their personal goal on the back of the public goodwill.

Did i hear some one say, no wonder an average Nigerian politician after independence is so wealthy
Re: Obafemi Awolowo, Nnamdi Azikwe, And Ahmadu Bello, All Clueless Founding Fathers. by Onlytruth(m): 6:58am On Jun 09, 2010
Andre Uweh:

The Western Cameroun was not originally a part of Nigeria. The league of nations handed over the territory to the British imperial govt to be administered through Nigeria. It was not in the original plan to keep W. Cameroun under Nigeria. They had a right to reunite with their other half. As a result, a plebiscite was organised and they chose to opt out of Nigeria. Zik nor Nigeria had no right to hold them back. So count Azikiwe out.
Zik as a nationalist, had only one intention-to win power from colonial masters for Nigeria. Was that achieved or not?.

Of course I know that Southern Cameroon was reuniting with the French part, but they could have voted to join Nigeria. Why did the Northern part of Cameroon vote to join Nigeria (todays Adamawa and Taraba states)?
Zik could have borrowed a leaf from the north to do the same thing in order to keep southern Cameroun.

I'm not saying that the Southern Cameroonians were innocent victims or non-participatory bystanders. Far from it.
I just think that an Ahmadu Bello would not have lost Southern Cameroon (I'd give him that respect undecided).

Zik and NCNC were more interested in forming the government at the center, and they lost focus on the Eastern front.

The product was a diminished Eastern Nigeria, and subsequent further balkanization of the East. That is what I call building a house upside down.
A powerful Eastern Nigeria would have developed more clout to negotiate for power at the center.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo, Nnamdi Azikwe, And Ahmadu Bello, All Clueless Founding Fathers. by Onlytruth(m): 7:04am On Jun 09, 2010
sjeezy8:

So Ojukwu is now a founding father of Nigeria? Are you that afraid of Ojukwu that you can't even think logically anymore?

Na wa for you o! grin shocked grin
Re: Obafemi Awolowo, Nnamdi Azikwe, And Ahmadu Bello, All Clueless Founding Fathers. by tkb417(m): 7:07am On Jun 09, 2010
if the founding fathers were clueless, what do u have to say to the present leaders/followers including you the OP?

what have you guys done individually to have the right to call legends clueless?

Sitting on the fence/front of internet to pontificate on issues is the easiest thing to do. (just like a beer parlour football analyst who knows more than the coach)

Whilst the developed countries are lauding their past leaders for the legacies they left behind, some charlatans on the internet/Nairaland with no clue on how to run a nucleus family feels what the past leaders have done amount to zilch because of stupid personal views

nyways, anyone who takes your ilk serious must be suffering from some potent spiritual attack.

It is too early here to engage in frivolous sweet baloney!

you and ur comrades in idiocy can bask in your perpetual stupidity and spew some more bunkum
rats!!!
Re: Obafemi Awolowo, Nnamdi Azikwe, And Ahmadu Bello, All Clueless Founding Fathers. by tkb417(m): 7:08am On Jun 09, 2010
Remii:

Sometimes I wonder about the thought process of some Nairalanders, these leaders deserve commendation and not insults, most of them were at the ages of NLanders with very limited exposures yet they did what they did. Everything was going good before the military coup of 1966 and that was the beginning of the end. The west in particular had development plans for every 5yrs up to the 1st 25yrs after Independence. When Awolowo got to federal with Gowon he developed same plan for Nigeria, but around 1970, after the war he observed the military govt no longer keen on the plan anymore. that was the main reason he gave for pulling out of the govt.
God bless you

The clueless men did wonders for Nigeria when they were their ages!!

ask these internet warriors/legends to tell us what they have done for their Local govts

nothing and yet, they know who was cluesless and useless

na wa
Re: Obafemi Awolowo, Nnamdi Azikwe, And Ahmadu Bello, All Clueless Founding Fathers. by Onlytruth(m): 7:22am On Jun 09, 2010
tkb417:

God bless you

The clueless men did wonders for Nigeria when they were their ages!!

ask these internet warriors/legends to tell us what they have done for their Local govts

nothing and yet, they know who was cluesless and useless

na wa

At my age, I am doing more than they ever did. You may not believe it but I am.  A clueless nation is destined for failure even in a  million years. That is why we have nothing to celebrate after almost 50 years of independence.

As for what our generation can do, have you ever imagined climbing out of a bottomless pit? undecided

All your efforts might seem in vain because frankly you have an uphill task.

These so called founding fathers failed the most basic test of leadership, which is to lead.
At least they were tribalist and invidious (Obafemi Awolowo), megalomaniacs and basking in hubris (Azikiwe), and ultra retrogressive (Ahmadu Bello).
Re: Obafemi Awolowo, Nnamdi Azikwe, And Ahmadu Bello, All Clueless Founding Fathers. by Onlytruth(m): 7:35am On Jun 09, 2010
Remii:

Sometimes I wonder about the thought process of some Nairalanders, these leaders deserve commendation and not insults, most of them were at the ages of NLanders with very limited exposures yet they did what they did. [b]Everything was going good before the military coup of 1966 [/b]and that was the beginning of the end. The west in particular had development plans for every 5yrs up to the 1st 25yrs after Independence. When Awolowo got  to federal with Gowon he developed same plan for Nigeria, but around 1970, after the war he observed the military govt no longer keen on the plan anymore. that was the main reason he gave for pulling out of the govt.

Did you say everything was going good before 1966?

The AG (Action Group), Awolowo's party started the trouble in May 1962, far before the January 1966 coup.

From 1962 to 1965, western Nigeria knew no real peace until the coup of January 1966.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo, Nnamdi Azikwe, And Ahmadu Bello, All Clueless Founding Fathers. by bkbabe97: 7:37am On Jun 09, 2010
Big Pun was the illest- - - Check out the whole Capital Punishment album! Oh, and Ogechi Onyewu has a bloody Ibo accent! grin
Re: Obafemi Awolowo, Nnamdi Azikwe, And Ahmadu Bello, All Clueless Founding Fathers. by gogo123: 10:37am On Jun 09, 2010
tkb417:

if the founding fathers were clueless, what do u have to say to the present leaders/followers including you the OP?

what have you guys done individually to have the right to call legends clueless?

Sitting on the fence/front of internet to pontificate on issues is the easiest thing to do. (just like a beer parlour football analyst who knows more than the coach)

Whilst the developed countries are lauding their past leaders for the legacies they left behind, some charlatans on the internet/Nairaland with no clue on how to run a nucleus family feels what the past leaders have done amount to zilch because of silly personal views

nyways, anyone who takes your ilk serious must be suffering from some potent spiritual attack.

It is too early here to engage in frivolous sweet baloney!

you and your comrades in idiocy can bask in your perpetual stupidity and spew some more bunkum
rats!!!
PRAY THEE, WHAT ARE THE LEGACIES THESE VISION-LESS LITTLE MEN LEFT BEHIND?AM SO SAD THE BLACK MAN HAS A LONG WAY TO GO, IF YOU WANT TO TALK ABOUT LEGACIES YOUNG MAN GO WEST(CASTRO,GANDHI,SUHARTO,NASSER,MANDELA) WHAT CULTURAL AND SOCIOECONOMIC CONDITIONS GAVE RISE TO SUCH MEN AND LEFT NIGERIA DESTITUTE OF SUCH? UNFORTUNATELY THE HUSTLER NIGERIAN PRESS HAS TURNED THESE MEN INTO TITANS, MOST RECENT ONE BEING YARADUA. THE MOST WE HAVE EVER HAD COMING TO A WOULD BE LEGEND WAS OBJ BUT THE INHERENT TRIBALISM IN HIM JUST WONT LET GO
Re: Obafemi Awolowo, Nnamdi Azikwe, And Ahmadu Bello, All Clueless Founding Fathers. by tkb417(m): 11:04am On Jun 09, 2010
gogo123:

PRAY THEE, WHAT ARE THE LEGACIES THESE VISION-LESS LITTLE MEN LEFT BEHIND?AM SO SAD THE BLACK MAN HAS A LONG WAY TO GO, IF YOU WANT TO TALK ABOUT LEGACIES YOUNG MAN GO WEST(CASTRO,GANDHI,SUHARTO,NASSER,MANDELA) WHAT CULTURAL AND SOCIOECONOMIC CONDITIONS GAVE RISE TO SUCH MEN AND LEFT NIGERIA DESTITUTE OF SUCH? UNFORTUNATELY THE HUSTLER NIGERIAN PRESS HAS TURNED THESE MEN INTO TITANS, MOST RECENT ONE BEING YARADUA. THE MOST WE HAVE EVER HAD COMING TO A WOULD BE LEGEND WAS OBJ BUT THE INHERENT TRIBALISM IN HIM JUST WONT LET GO
i hope i got you clearly

OBJ is the closest to being a legend?
OBJ compared to AWO, Zik and co?

what did you have for breakfast/lunch/dinner?
Re: Obafemi Awolowo, Nnamdi Azikwe, And Ahmadu Bello, All Clueless Founding Fathers. by gogo123: 11:50am On Jun 09, 2010
LITTLE MAN, I TOOK MY NORMAL MEAL BUT UNLIKE YOU I DO READ AND REFLECT, LEGENDS ARE RARELY LIVING, OBJ GENERALLY TRIED TO PUT NIGERIA ON THE RIGHT DIRECTION, I GIVE HIM 30% AND THE REST OF THEM 10%, LETS SEE IN THE NEXT 40/50YRS.BUT STILL TAKE AWAY THE FACT THAT THERE WERE FEW EDUCATED PEOPLE TO CHALLENGE THEM THEN, WHAT REAL LEGACY DID THEY LEAVE BEHIND, HATRED,TRIBALISM, LETS NOT ROMANTICIZE THESE PEOPLE. YES AM NOT A FAN OF OBJ BUT MR MAN, HE IS WONT TO DO THE RIGHT THING
MEANWHILE CAN YOU ENGAGE IN AN INTELLECTUAL ARGUMENT FOR ONCE WITHOUT SCOOPING FROM THE GUTTERS WHERE YOU BELONG
Re: Obafemi Awolowo, Nnamdi Azikwe, And Ahmadu Bello, All Clueless Founding Fathers. by keeeem: 12:23pm On Jun 09, 2010
@Onlytruth

In your own little way you have tried but the problem here is that you read things upside down. It is good to reflect on the past at least to do a stock taking of the past. I am a yoruba man and my people used to say 'a child that says his father is not wealthy, is not rich the same will apply to him when he grows up'. To call them 'clueless' is like throwing caution to the wind.

These men did great things in their time. You see in life we all make mistakes probably errors of judgement which is excusable. Those errors of judgement are based strictly upon the limitations of the time. Ask your Dad and Mum, there were certain things they missed and when they look back they wished will av been done to better the present situation they find themselves. That is life my friend. Perfection lies with God. Let us understand that aspect of life we do not have control over. In a private discussion with an elderly man when I was in the university he said one thing and I will quote him here ' All our founding fathers achieved what they set out to achieve the other thing they tried to achieve God never allowed it. Awo set out to give his people the best in terms of infrastructure and he did. Zik set out to be the greatest bride he did. Ahmadu Bello set out to be in control of govt and that he achieved'

That is by the wayside, let us watch those things we say in public forums like this and the way we also put things. In their own times, they were masters in their right. Let us try to post educative things that the younger generation would learn from not using our own personal views to distort history. Education is supposed to better the society. Let us use the education we have to better our society.

We are backward because we as individuals are more developed than our country. We do not have any other country other than this. God bless us all. Amin
Re: Obafemi Awolowo, Nnamdi Azikwe, And Ahmadu Bello, All Clueless Founding Fathers. by gogo123: 12:43pm On Jun 09, 2010
keeeem:

@Onlytruth

In your own little way you have tried but the problem here is that you read things upside down. It is good to reflect on the past at least to do a stock taking of the past. I am a yoruba man and my people used to say 'a child that says his father is not wealthy, is not rich the same will apply to him when he grows up'. To call them 'clueless' is like throwing caution to the wind.

These men did great things in their time. You see in life we all make mistakes probably errors of judgement which is excusable. Those errors of judgement are based strictly upon the limitations of the time. Ask your Dad and Mum, there were certain things they missed and when they look back they wished will av been done to better the present situation they find themselves. That is life my friend. Perfection lies with God. Let us understand that aspect of life we do not have control over. In a private discussion with an elderly man when I was in the university he said one thing and I will quote him here ' All our founding fathers achieved what they set out to achieve the other thing they tried to achieve God never allowed it. Awo set out to give his people the best in terms of infrastructure and he did. Zik set out to be the greatest bride he did. Ahmadu Bello set out to be in control of govt and that he achieved'

That is by the wayside, let us watch those things we say in public forums like this and the way we also put things. In their own times, they were masters in their right. Let us try to post educative things that the younger generation would learn from not using our own personal views to distort history. Education is supposed to better the society. Let us use the education we have to better our society.

We are backward because we as individuals are more developed than our country. We do not have any other country other than this. God bless us all. Amin

YOU HAVE A POINT BUT WHY WERE THEY NOT ABLE TO RISE ABOVE THEIR INDIVIDUAL AGENDAS, THEY HAD MODELS , GANDHI,CHURCHILL, WHY WERE THEY SO NARROW MINDED?
Re: Obafemi Awolowo, Nnamdi Azikwe, And Ahmadu Bello, All Clueless Founding Fathers. by tkb417(m): 12:48pm On Jun 09, 2010
gogo123:

LITTLE MAN, I TOOK MY NORMAL MEAL BUT UNLIKE YOU I DO READ AND REFLECT, LEGENDS ARE RARELY LIVING, OBJ GENERALLY TRIED TO PUT NIGERIA ON THE RIGHT DIRECTION, I GIVE HIM 30% AND THE REST OF THEM 10%, LETS SEE IN THE NEXT 40/50YRS.BUT STILL TAKE AWAY THE FACT THAT THERE WERE FEW EDUCATED PEOPLE TO CHALLENGE THEM THEN, WHAT REAL LEGACY DID THEY LEAVE BEHIND, HATRED,TRIBALISM, LETS NOT ROMANTICIZE THESE PEOPLE. YES AM NOT A FAN OF OBJ BUT MR MAN, HE IS WONT TO DO THE RIGHT THING
MEANWHILE CAN YOU ENGAGE IN AN INTELLECTUAL ARGUMENT FOR ONCE WITHOUT SCOOPING FROM THE GUTTERS WHERE YOU BELONG
b4 i start cursing you out, ill indulge ur tomfoolery

Did you say OBJ is more of a legend than AWO and Zik? did you actually say that?
ok, if you havent been cursed from your village, what exactly did OBJ do for Nigeria as the President of Nigeria?

and to say ure comparing him with someone who never ruled Nigeria but developed the western part of Nigeria structurally and economically begs a billion questions

maybe u didnt know AWO was instrumental to the building of some Univeristies in Nigeria while OBJ was at loggerheads with lecturers in Nigeria. AWO gave free edu to the masses while OBJ ensured the lecturers were unpaid/sacked and abused.

Even if ur school fees was paid by OBJ, does it mean u shd reason like a simpleton shocked shocked

OBJ and AWO? thats the most retarded statement ive read on Nairaland

it can only mean something, ure the undisputed numero uno when it comes to dishing out moronic statements

dont u dare respond to me again u daftie!!!
Re: Obafemi Awolowo, Nnamdi Azikwe, And Ahmadu Bello, All Clueless Founding Fathers. by keeeem: 1:22pm On Jun 09, 2010
@Gogo

I love that question, I think that was what the time then dictated. Don't forget that our Union as a nation was forced down our throat. These men were old men and they carried these things in their mind wen they were born (before 1914). I will not want to hold brief for them but you see in life, the man that starts a process is not necessarily the man that will carry the task to conclusion. Moses did the liberation of the Jews from Pharaoh but was not the one that led them to the promised land. Do we call him 'clueless' because of this?

Please let's think of how to move this nation forward and not grope on the past. Have a nice day
Re: Obafemi Awolowo, Nnamdi Azikwe, And Ahmadu Bello, All Clueless Founding Fathers. by gogo123: 1:34pm On Jun 09, 2010
tkb417:

b4 i start cursing you out, ill indulge your tomfoolery

Did you say OBJ is more of a legend than AWO and Zik? did you actually say that?
ok, if you havent been cursed from your village, what exactly did OBJ do for Nigeria as the President of Nigeria?

and to say ure comparing him with someone who never ruled Nigeria but developed the western part of Nigeria structurally and economically begs a billion questions

maybe u didnt know AWO was instrumental to the building of some Univeristies in Nigeria while OBJ was at loggerheads with lecturers in Nigeria. AWO gave free edu to the masses while OBJ ensured the lecturers were unpaid/sacked and abused.

Even if your school fees was paid by OBJ, does it mean u shd reason like a simpleton shocked shocked

OBJ and AWO? thats the most retarded statement ive read on Nairaland

it can only mean something, ure the undisputed numero uno when it comes to dishing out moronic statements

dont u dare respond to me again u daftie!!!

LITTLE ONE, I WILL START BY RECOGNIZING YOUR OBVIOUS LIMITATIONS,(BAD ENGLISH,YOU EVEN BELIEVE IN CURSES) THANK GOD THAT ONE CAN HIDE BEHIND THIS SCREEN IF NOT PEOPLE WOULD WONDER WHY AM I RESPONDING TO YOU,LIKE A PREVIOUS POSTER SAID THESE PEOPLE WERE CEILING-ED BY THE ZIESTGIEST OF THEIR TIMES(IS THAT TOO HIGH SOUNDING FOR YOU?) MY DEAR WE ARE TALKING OF NATION BUILDING HERE AND NOT YOUR CLUSTERS AND SETTLEMENTS IN OKENNA AND ILE IFE, OBJ MIGHT HAVE GOTTEN IT WRONG IN SOME OF HIS ACTIONS BUT THESE THREE SO CALLED FOUNDING FOUNDERS DELIBERATELY TOOK THE WRONG ROAD FOR WHAT EVER REASON KNOWN TO THEM
AND IF I DECIDE TO GET DOWN TO YOUR ARID MIND THIS AFTERNOON, I WILL LACERATE YOU SO MUCH THAT YOU WILL FEEL THE PHYSICAL PAIN, WHAT IS SO SACROSANCT ABOUT THESE MEN THAT YOU CANT CRITICIZE THEM, AM NO FAN OF OBJ BUT TO AN EXTENT HE WAS MORE OF A NATIONALIST THAN THESE THREE
Re: Obafemi Awolowo, Nnamdi Azikwe, And Ahmadu Bello, All Clueless Founding Fathers. by tkb417(m): 1:37pm On Jun 09, 2010
LITTLE ONE, I WILL START BY RECOGNIZING YOUR OBVIOUS LIMITATIONS,(BAD ENGLISH,YOU EVEN BELIEVE IN CURSES) THANK GOD THAT ONE CAN HIDE BEHIND THIS SCREEN IF NOT PEOPLE WOULD WONDER WHY AM I RESPONDING TO YOU,LIKE A PREVIOUS POSTER SAID THESE PEOPLE WERE CEILING-ED BY THE ZIESTGIEST OF THEIR TIMES(IS THAT TOO HIGH SOUNDING FOR YOU?) MY DEAR WE ARE TALKING OF NATION BUILDING HERE AND NOT YOUR CLUSTERS AND SETTLEMENTS IN OKENNA AND ILE IFE, OBJ MIGHT HAVE GOTTEN IT WRONG IN SOME OF HIS ACTIONS BUT THESE THREE SO CALLED FOUNDING FOUNDERS DELIBERATELY TOOK THE WRONG ROAD FOR WHAT EVER REASON KNOWN TO THEM
AND IF I DECIDE TO GET DOWN TO YOUR ARID MIND THIS AFTERNOON, I WILL LACERATE YOU SO MUCH THAT YOU WILL FEEL THE PHYSICAL PAIN, WHAT IS SO SACROSANCT ABOUT THESE MEN THAT YOU CANT CRITICIZE THEM, AM NO FAN OF OBJ BUT TO AN EXTENT HE WAS MORE OF A NATIONALIST THAN THESE THREE

Jesus wept!!!!

ure a disgrace!!

i asked a simple question and you gave that crap above

one last chance to answer like a sane mind

waht did OBJ do as a nation builder? by demolishing Odi? or by aggravating Niger Delta issues?

what a dunce u are grin grin
Re: Obafemi Awolowo, Nnamdi Azikwe, And Ahmadu Bello, All Clueless Founding Fathers. by 006(m): 2:11pm On Jun 09, 2010
^^^

From your first post to the last, you’ve been as vile as ever.
Do you normally talk like this in the public, place of work or at home?
Man, grow up and show some maturity!
Re: Obafemi Awolowo, Nnamdi Azikwe, And Ahmadu Bello, All Clueless Founding Fathers. by 006(m): 2:17pm On Jun 09, 2010
Onlytruth:

The most painful aspect of this whole saga is that as of 1957, Eastern Nigeria and Western Nigeria were basically independent.
Assuming that both Zik and Awo were waiting for the north, why was it necessary to accept a less educated leadership under the north? Why! undecided undecided

Where was EVERYBODY ELSE when this weird deal was going on?

Were these three guys that powerful?

I don’t want to talk about the other 2 founding fathers, Bello and Awo, my anger lies with Zik. I think he was the greatest fool of all time.
A good leader is supposed to be visionary and when he fails, he should take the blame, 100%.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

A MUST READ / Yoruba Message To Igbos. Please Understand / Nigeria To Earn Fresh $6.35bn In Taxes, Royalties - NNPC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.