Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,593 members, 7,812,940 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:06 PM

Linda Nkechi Igwetu, Corper Shot Dead By Policeman In Abuja A Day To Her POP - Crime (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Linda Nkechi Igwetu, Corper Shot Dead By Policeman In Abuja A Day To Her POP (74293 Views)

Young Air Force Officer Killed By Policeman At ATM In Calabar. Photos / Pregnant Nigerian Immigrant Collapses In Italy While Being Beaten By Policeman / Burial Of Angela Nkechi Igwetu, Corper Shot By Policeman (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Linda Nkechi Igwetu, Corper Shot Dead By Policeman In Abuja A Day To Her POP by thunderbabs: 6:06am On Jul 05, 2018
Evil in the land

Buhari, herdsmen, boko haram, Nigeria Police, Kidnappers, Ritualists, etc
Re: Linda Nkechi Igwetu, Corper Shot Dead By Policeman In Abuja A Day To Her POP by maasoap(m): 7:38am On Jul 05, 2018
davodyguy:
This is preventable.
Before we blame let's critically examine this story.

1. They were out at Midnight, possibly returning from party or club, to celebrate in anticipation of POP.
2. If they stayed in doors and faced the service they were sent to do, may be it may not have happened
3. The policemen, officers empowered by Law stopped you, but you refused to obey the officers of the law. Are you guys criminals? Why didn't you stop?
4. Would this have happened in America? Yes it could have happened. Even unarmed blacks are shot by policeman, talk less of people who were stopped and refused to accede.
5. Was the officer that shit overzealous? Yes he was. But judging by the volatility of northern Nigeria today, they could have been mistook as criminals running from officers.

My conclusion.

If they stayed indoors and faced what they're sent to do, this could have been avoided
If they had stopped, this could also have been avoided.

The officer may go Scot free, on the basis of security situation in the country.

We need to be careful ourselves

If he goes scot-free, it won't be because of security situation in the country. Rather, it will be because our law actually empowered them to shoot if the suspects refused to stop but fleeing instead. Only if he can prove it.

1 Like

Re: Linda Nkechi Igwetu, Corper Shot Dead By Policeman In Abuja A Day To Her POP by Khaybee09: 7:57am On Jul 05, 2018
white police officer won't shoot at you for not stopping rather they will start chasing you and inform their colleagues so they can form a road block for u. U dont just shoot cause u don't know why the victim didnt stop. It's no system in Nigeria is working, failed country

2 Likes

Re: Linda Nkechi Igwetu, Corper Shot Dead By Policeman In Abuja A Day To Her POP by naijalander: 7:59am On Jul 05, 2018
She did absolutely nothing wrong. Checkpoints are illegal now, I feel like we are now used to this stuff, we have completely normalized human rights abuses by law enforcement. This is beyond sad, I don't think I can recover from this cry cry cry cry cry cry

Donald95:
She went to serve her country with her two legs and came back through Ambulance. So sad for her expectant parents

In as much as I hate this country and it's securities,That doesn't mean I should disrespect the trigger happy monkies. We gats to play our own part for God to help us survive this Hell hole
Re: Linda Nkechi Igwetu, Corper Shot Dead By Policeman In Abuja A Day To Her POP by jidxin(m): 8:00am On Jul 05, 2018
davodyguy:
This is preventable.

1. They were out at Midnight, possibly returning from party or club, to celebrate in anticipation of POP.
2. If they stayed in doors and faced the service they were sent to do, may be it may not have happened
3. The policemen, officers empowered by Law stopped you, but you refused to obey the officers of the law. Are you guys criminals? Why didn't you stop?
4. Would this have happened in America? Yes it could have happened. Even unarmed blacks are shot by policeman, talk less of people who were stopped and refused to accede.
5. Was the officer that shit overzealous? Yes he was. But judging by the volatility of northern Nigeria today, they could have been mistook as criminals running from officers.

My conclusion.

If they stayed indoors and faced what they're sent to do, this could have been avoided

The officer may go Scot free, on the basis of security situation in the country.

Very foolish analysis. It's under The Police Act ...no justification for a police officer to shoot when there is no possession of firearms or no threat to collect his firearms
Re: Linda Nkechi Igwetu, Corper Shot Dead By Policeman In Abuja A Day To Her POP by BluntBoy(m): 8:02am On Jul 05, 2018
Bastards. You shot at her because she didn't stop? What sort of undisciplined animals do we have wearing the police uniform in this country?

There are many reasons why she mightn't have stopped. What they should have done was give chase. How can they just open fire on a vehicle because it refused to stop at a check point?
Re: Linda Nkechi Igwetu, Corper Shot Dead By Policeman In Abuja A Day To Her POP by jidxin(m): 8:04am On Jul 05, 2018
maasoap:

If he goes scot-free, it won't be because of security situation in the country. Rather, it will be because our law actually empowered them to shoot if the suspects refused to stop but fleeing instead. Only if he can prove it.
don't misquote the law. It's only applicable to shoot a convict trying to escape and someone who is suspected to have committed a felony
Re: Linda Nkechi Igwetu, Corper Shot Dead By Policeman In Abuja A Day To Her POP by naijalander: 8:05am On Jul 05, 2018
So we should give up our freedoms and liberties in exchange for "safety". Does that even make sense to you? What is wrong, is wrong, is wrong, is wrong and will forever be wrong. This young lady did nothing wrong, nothing at all. Nigeria is steadily reaching it's tipping point.

Very soon, the country will be consumed by revolution, a very violent revolution. All the national movements you see around you are symbol of the fast decline. Wherever there is injustice, people will always fight back, it is in human nature to fight injustice.

This officer will not only pay for what he has done, he will burn in hell for it.

davodyguy:
This is preventable.

My conclusion.

Re: Linda Nkechi Igwetu, Corper Shot Dead By Policeman In Abuja A Day To Her POP by jidobaba(m): 8:11am On Jul 05, 2018
comradeodunze:
Many have gone this way, at times the nurses and doctors have no clue how to stop a simple bleed. Medical (mushroom) centres scattered every nooks and cranny of Nigeria is a shot to the mortuary.

They probably saw that they couldn't stop the bleeding considering the severity/location and rather than try at all decided to use 'Police report' as the excuse. Who asked for 50k?The hospital or the policemen? Pathetic state of affairs.
Re: Linda Nkechi Igwetu, Corper Shot Dead By Policeman In Abuja A Day To Her POP by naijalander: 8:14am On Jul 05, 2018
Imagine, same police that caused her death asking for N50,000 for give them Police report.

cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry

where did we go wrong?

where do we even start from ?

should we just burn the country to the ground ?

jidobaba:

They probably saw that they couldn't stop the bleeding considering the severity/location and rather than try at all decided to use 'Police report' as the excuse. Who asked for 50k?The hospital or the policemen? Pathetic state of affairs.
Re: Linda Nkechi Igwetu, Corper Shot Dead By Policeman In Abuja A Day To Her POP by nattyGENT: 8:18am On Jul 05, 2018
All these slay queens, she kill herself so dont blame the policeman. Strange things are happening in Nigeria, so every one is a suspect. She was supposed to pull over cikina & continue in less than 30minutes.
Re: Linda Nkechi Igwetu, Corper Shot Dead By Policeman In Abuja A Day To Her POP by naijalander: 8:21am On Jul 05, 2018
really?

I'm sure you think you made sense with this statement. Please just leave the internet and enjoy your stupidity in peace.

Oloshi.

nattyGENT:
All these slay queens, she kill herself so dont blame the policeman. Strange things are happening in Nigeria, so every one is a suspect. She was supposed to pull over cikina & continue in less than 30minutes.
Re: Linda Nkechi Igwetu, Corper Shot Dead By Policeman In Abuja A Day To Her POP by uvie66: 8:32am On Jul 05, 2018
Question, didn't she contribute to her own demise ? She approaches a check point and decided not to stop for reasons known to her. Nigerians have this habit of disobeying laws.
Re: Linda Nkechi Igwetu, Corper Shot Dead By Policeman In Abuja A Day To Her POP by uvie66: 8:34am On Jul 05, 2018
naijalander:
really?

I'm sure you think you made sense with this statement. Please just leave the internet and enjoy your stupidity in peace.

Oloshi.

I think he is right, all she had to do was stop and identify herself.......contributory negligence.
Re: Linda Nkechi Igwetu, Corper Shot Dead By Policeman In Abuja A Day To Her POP by uvie66: 8:38am On Jul 05, 2018
BluntBoy:
Bastards. You shot at her because she didn't stop? What sort of undisciplined animals do we have wearing the police uniform in this country?

There are many reasons why she mightn't have stopped. What they should have done was give chase. How can they just open fire on a vehicle because it refused to stop at a check point?
she took a big gamble, and paid dearly.
Re: Linda Nkechi Igwetu, Corper Shot Dead By Policeman In Abuja A Day To Her POP by uvie66: 8:40am On Jul 05, 2018
Unitedabby:
wait a sec,would you have said the same thing if the victim was your loved one?sincere answer pls!
Yes, one have to be objective. Stop, give the guy 500cad and continue your journey....
Re: Linda Nkechi Igwetu, Corper Shot Dead By Policeman In Abuja A Day To Her POP by henrybomb(m): 8:43am On Jul 05, 2018
The question is:
Was she the only one in the vehicle?
What happened to shooting at the tyres of the vehicle without killing anybody?
If the police were actually present at the hospital, why was she not treated?
I heard someone say if they were indoor,there was an incident of a teenager going outside to switch off the generator and he was picked up by SARS for no reason.
His mother died in the process when she heard what happened even after trying to chase the police vehicle.. This country is just lawless, I just wonder how we got here.
He who kill with the gun must surely die by the gun
Re: Linda Nkechi Igwetu, Corper Shot Dead By Policeman In Abuja A Day To Her POP by naijalander: 9:03am On Jul 05, 2018
*sigh*

So it's her fault a trigger happy police officer shot at civilians because they refused to stop at an illegal checkpoint?

Honestly people like you are exactly what is wrong with Nigeria! For the love of GOD, what exactly did she do wrong ? it is not rocket science! did she deserve to get shot because she didn't stop at a check point

uvie66:
I think he is right, all she had to do was stop and identify herself.......contributory negligence.
Re: Linda Nkechi Igwetu, Corper Shot Dead By Policeman In Abuja A Day To Her POP by APL33: 9:20am On Jul 05, 2018
thoollz:
Pathetic. Why didn't she stop? Is A mentally stable policeman supposed to shoot a moving vehicle? I thought it was said that gunshot victims should b treated without a police report, why wasn't she treated?

This country isn't safe anymore. May her soul Rest In Peace.

Yes they are can shoot any moving vehicle that refused to stop at midnight, for a search. Check points are mounted for security purposes. She should have jut waited. But I dint want to bliv she didn't stop till i hesr from an eye witness. Cos the story sounds like the police side o the story.
Re: Linda Nkechi Igwetu, Corper Shot Dead By Policeman In Abuja A Day To Her POP by kenlinzo(m): 9:38am On Jul 05, 2018
davodyguy:
This is preventable.

My conclusion.

RUBBISH
Re: Linda Nkechi Igwetu, Corper Shot Dead By Policeman In Abuja A Day To Her POP by naijalander: 9:47am On Jul 05, 2018
It is wrong to blame the victim when crime is committed. You haven't made any sense.

APL33:

Yes they are can shoot any moving vehicle that refused to stop at midnight, for a search. Check points are mounted for security purposes. She should have jut waited. But I dint want to bliv she didn't stop till i hesr from an eye witness. Cos the story sounds like the police side o the story.
Re: Linda Nkechi Igwetu, Corper Shot Dead By Policeman In Abuja A Day To Her POP by azian(m): 9:48am On Jul 05, 2018
Which sensible person passes through a police checkpoint and refuses to stop? Unless you're either a criminal or you have something to hide.
Even doctors with emergencies stop and notify the police that it's an emergency.
Why would you want to argue with an individual with a loaded weapon?
Re: Linda Nkechi Igwetu, Corper Shot Dead By Policeman In Abuja A Day To Her POP by moorevic(m): 9:50am On Jul 05, 2018
Hospitals and their stupid rules. What happens to stabilizing the patient first and then calling the police or demanding fund.
Re: Linda Nkechi Igwetu, Corper Shot Dead By Policeman In Abuja A Day To Her POP by moorevic(m): 9:54am On Jul 05, 2018
Even at such the officers are not meant to fire directly but to have demobilized the Tyre of the vehicle or call the next check to stop car.

azian:
Which sensible person passes through a police checkpoint and refuses to stop? Unless you're either a criminal or you have something to hide.
Even doctors with emergencies stop and notify the police that it's an emergency.
Why would you want to argue with an individual with a loaded weapon?
Re: Linda Nkechi Igwetu, Corper Shot Dead By Policeman In Abuja A Day To Her POP by CeeKay17: 9:59am On Jul 05, 2018
greatbuc:
Suicide by cop. In a third world country, stopping for police check is mandatory and can only be defiled by a moving motorcade or well dressed drivers in recognized service uniforms! Don't say I didn't tell you ooo.
Stopping for police is not optional but mandatory everywhere!!!
Re: Linda Nkechi Igwetu, Corper Shot Dead By Policeman In Abuja A Day To Her POP by notttty(m): 10:20am On Jul 05, 2018
post=69087754:
OMG!!!
This is brutality @ it's peak.
Justice must prevail. 
I only wonder the serious pain the family is going through now.
Just one day to passing out NYSC?!
So so sad!
lets be honest here and not judge with sentiments. Why will she drive by a police checkpoint without stopping for a chat or search? No disrespect to the dead bt she killed herself knowing how mad NPF Are in this country and abuja of all place where policemen feel intimidated easily especially if u re young and driving a good car. Rip nkechi
Re: Linda Nkechi Igwetu, Corper Shot Dead By Policeman In Abuja A Day To Her POP by Assassin101: 10:21am On Jul 05, 2018
what else do you expect?

when they pick frustrated dropouts, touts, ex-cons and thieves to become policemen

fuckerstard:
Shot dead, damn!!!

RIP

NPF wasting life since inception, we need UK to borrow us dia anti corruption officers make dem investigate this yeye NPF..
Re: Linda Nkechi Igwetu, Corper Shot Dead By Policeman In Abuja A Day To Her POP by ObaOloye: 10:51am On Jul 05, 2018
moorevic:
Even at such the officers are not meant to fire directly but to have demobilized the Tyre of the vehicle or call the next check to stop car.

Your contribution is logical. The problem is this, the officer may actually have attempted to do so but may have been impaired by a combination of one or more of the following.

-Poor target ability due to ineffective firearm training.
-Vision impairment as it was dark already at midnight.
-Anxiety due to the recent killings of policemen in the city.

The logical thing to have done was to give chase, but then we have to ask ourselves a few questions.

-How many officers were deployed to man the checkpoint..
-How equipped were they in terms of communication gadgets and standby vehicle (with fuel in it)
-How well trained is the police officer as well as his psychological state.. An apprehensive officer is a problem, an apprehensive officer with a loaded gun is a bigger problem.

My summation is this, you see all this debate about what's right nd wrong, what was done and what should have has no effect on the state of the deceased right now. No matter how you put it, no matter who was right and who was wrong. No matter what the law provides, this was completely avoidable. Nigerians, especially young people need to be socially and politically conscious.

A lot changes when you are alert to the happenings of the moment. The girl may not have been a criminal, she may not even have had an alterior motive. Rip to her. I pray no other person has to go the same way. The law on treating gunshot victims only after seeing a police report needs to be revisited. There should be legal means of detaining the individual after treatment until the police report is filed.
Re: Linda Nkechi Igwetu, Corper Shot Dead By Policeman In Abuja A Day To Her POP by otokx(m): 11:12am On Jul 05, 2018
naijalander:
She did absolutely nothing wrong. Checkpoints are illegal now, I feel like we are now used to this stuff, we have completely normalized human rights abuses by law enforcement. This is beyond sad, I don't think I can recover from this cry cry cry cry cry cry

Checkpoints are illegal in which country, Nigeria
Re: Linda Nkechi Igwetu, Corper Shot Dead By Policeman In Abuja A Day To Her POP by naijalander: 11:26am On Jul 05, 2018
The IGP has announced it so many times that all check points (unless required by security situation, which in this case was not), are illegal.

otokx:

Checkpoints are illegal in which country, Nigeria
Re: Linda Nkechi Igwetu, Corper Shot Dead By Policeman In Abuja A Day To Her POP by desmondoo(m): 11:35am On Jul 05, 2018
this is really a zoo country.......

1 Like

Re: Linda Nkechi Igwetu, Corper Shot Dead By Policeman In Abuja A Day To Her POP by APL33: 12:20pm On Jul 05, 2018
naijalander:
It is wrong to blame the victim when crime is committed. You haven't made any sense.

Say u don't comprehend. Simple

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Armed Robbers Attack Bank In Ekiti, Policeman, Girl Shot Dead (Graphic Photos) / Josephine Cynthia Inalegwu, Bride-to-be Missing Few Days To Her Wedding Day / 34 Female Strippers From Wealthy Homes Arrested In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.