Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,777 members, 7,813,570 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:12 PM

How Do You Do Charity? Openly Or Secretly? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Do You Do Charity? Openly Or Secretly? (4805 Views)

Howard Nyoni: TB Joshua & Oyakhilome Had Terminal Diseases, Took Drugs Secretly / Satan Has Been Allowed To Be Worshipped Openly In Washington DC As A Brave Lady / Stephen Rathod: Pastor Adeboye Donates 60% Of His Income To Charity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do You Do Charity? Openly Or Secretly? by CodeTemplar: 1:34pm On Jul 07, 2018
How Do You Do Charity? Openly or Secretly?

Mathew 6 : 2, 3 & 4 helps us define how it should be done but I see a lot of people today doing it openly and want immediate glory of men instead of Gods reward.

In verse 2 it is stated clearly that people who give openly have received their reward in full.

So how do you do yours?

Mathew 6 : 2-4
----------------------------------

2 “So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full.

3 But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing,

4 so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Do You Do Charity? Openly Or Secretly? by Nobody: 5:37pm On Jul 07, 2018
Nice one.. Our MOG who's got balloons flying in the air should do more of charity work to the Nigerian Society.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do You Do Charity? Openly Or Secretly? by Proudlyngwa(m): 6:56am On Jul 08, 2018
Giving Charity in secret is good, but there are situations which requires making it open.

The bottom line is not expecting a reward of any sort including praise.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Do Charity? Openly Or Secretly? by CodeTemplar: 8:23am On Jul 08, 2018
@Proudlyngwa, I strive to do mine secretly. Why ?
1) The Bible commands it.
2) It is safer in this money-worshipping generation where anything that makes money for people, makes sense to them.

10 Likes

Re: How Do You Do Charity? Openly Or Secretly? by CodeTemplar: 8:25am On Jul 08, 2018
Tosinex:
Nice one.. Our MOG who's got balloons flying in the air should do more of charity work to the Nigerian Society.
The thing is many of them already do it but Mathew 6:3 wont let them make a show of it.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Do Charity? Openly Or Secretly? by Proudlyngwa(m): 8:34am On Jul 08, 2018
CodeTemplar:
@Proudlyngwa, I strive to do mine secretly. Why ?
1) The Bible commands it.
2) It is safer in this money-worshipping generation where anything that makes money for people, makes sense to them.

Charity, does not have to be monetary alone.
There are cases, where you have to make people know, you are in charge of some charitable situations, so that they can assist or if possible use the funds for other notable and noble purposes.
The Bible spoke against it being open, because of the situation back then "Ego" . Whether we are doing it openly or secretly, we should not allow pride be involved, and we should resist any form of Reward for it, Brit praise worship or otherwise.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Do Charity? Openly Or Secretly? by s3tt1ngz003: 9:18am On Jul 08, 2018
Very secretly
Re: How Do You Do Charity? Openly Or Secretly? by Exwizard: 9:18am On Jul 08, 2018
Charity should be done in secrete
Re: How Do You Do Charity? Openly Or Secretly? by SAMBARRY: 9:19am On Jul 08, 2018
I prefer private ones But when i asked people who give and show it all over social media and othet sources they said its because we live in a generation of ungrateful people so that when they want to insult you or return your kind gesture with evil,social media pictures will tell others that but this man helped you na

Its the pictures that will speak for you behind your back when he wants to bad mouth you.it will show when he was broke and flat and that will not give him justification to badmouth you
Re: How Do You Do Charity? Openly Or Secretly? by xarookqh(m): 9:20am On Jul 08, 2018
If I do charity upon myself, I'd cry to myself in thanks.
Mans don suffer
Re: How Do You Do Charity? Openly Or Secretly? by maberry(m): 9:20am On Jul 08, 2018
It is your charity
Don't which ever way you please
Re: How Do You Do Charity? Openly Or Secretly? by dingbang(m): 9:20am On Jul 08, 2018
Secretly...
Re: How Do You Do Charity? Openly Or Secretly? by OHIsIManuEL(m): 9:23am On Jul 08, 2018
To me, it depends on your motive
If your aim of giving openly is to challenge and motivate others into giving, then I feel it's okay.
If it's to get accolades from men, that's what I think is wrong
But generally, for whatever reason you may be giving, I encourage you to continue, whether it's for accolades or not, you're still helping someone, still touching lives...
So continue...

3 Likes

Re: How Do You Do Charity? Openly Or Secretly? by LisaAnne(f): 9:25am On Jul 08, 2018
Re: How Do You Do Charity? Openly Or Secretly? by NwaJozi: 9:26am On Jul 08, 2018
Secretly because I'm doing it for God who sees in secret
Re: How Do You Do Charity? Openly Or Secretly? by Nobody: 9:27am On Jul 08, 2018
Secretly.
Re: How Do You Do Charity? Openly Or Secretly? by Redhot111(m): 9:30am On Jul 08, 2018
Better done secretly but there are some cases where you scenario will force you to do it openly or leave it undone against your wish
Re: How Do You Do Charity? Openly Or Secretly? by codinight: 9:30am On Jul 08, 2018
However, whenever. Always do what you think is right and forget about what people will think or say.
Re: How Do You Do Charity? Openly Or Secretly? by Exwizard: 9:31am On Jul 08, 2018
s3tt1ngz003:
Pls someone should help me, am in my final year already and ought to have started writing my project by now, but as the case maybe even to feed this morning is not certain yet. My. Details is on my profile incase God touch your mind to help

Which school?
Re: How Do You Do Charity? Openly Or Secretly? by ardrockltd(m): 9:31am On Jul 08, 2018
charity is best to do in secret God that see you will reward openly
Re: How Do You Do Charity? Openly Or Secretly? by LexngtonSteele: 9:31am On Jul 08, 2018
Charity is for me is personal and private.

But public charity is useful because it can encourage others to give.

Secret / public / even to massage your own ego ...doesn't matter, you helped someone out and that's what counts

3 Likes

Re: How Do You Do Charity? Openly Or Secretly? by consultancy: 9:37am On Jul 08, 2018
although it was directly stated in the holy bible to carry out charity act in secret and get your reward from God, with the advent of the internet and social media, everyone wants to be seen and heard doing these things. Everyone to his own and whatever rocks your boat do it. If you will solve the hunger problems of 100 people daily and the reward you want is for facebook to share your story, then so be it, as long as those 100 people benefit from your charitable act. Afteral most critics will never give out 50 naira to hungry child on the streets. Doesn't mean i support those publicly showcasing their charity acts
Re: How Do You Do Charity? Openly Or Secretly? by Themandator: 9:37am On Jul 08, 2018
Charity has no right or wrong way of doing it. It is the heart in unity with the body and soul that confirms it. Supernatural answers to unity...if the three are in unity and manifest compassion then it is good
Re: How Do You Do Charity? Openly Or Secretly? by Zenithpeak(m): 9:37am On Jul 08, 2018
If you are to do Christ's way....... Secretly! (Blessed of the Lord that sees your motive)

But you may choose the other way round, just that you have received your reward already!

1 Like

Re: How Do You Do Charity? Openly Or Secretly? by Originalsly: 9:38am On Jul 08, 2018
What does it mean to do charity openly?...and secretly? To me openly means not to make a show of it...blow trumpets... call in the media...have camera men to make video and snap pictures then splash it worldwide for the world to know that you ehmmm.....gave two beggars one loaf of bread. But what if you set out to feed a group of homeless people...and someone not connected to you decides to snap pics and post it on NL..... is that doing it openly?
Doing charity secretly...I guess is if you help someone then you should tell nobody or try your best to let no one else know what you have done.
If you are giving with the expectation to receive in return...then that's not charity...that's an investment.
Re: How Do You Do Charity? Openly Or Secretly? by Nobody: 9:42am On Jul 08, 2018
I give secretly
Re: How Do You Do Charity? Openly Or Secretly? by Tajbol4splend(m): 9:45am On Jul 08, 2018
Whether you do it openly or secretly, the willingness to do it is what counts

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Do Charity? Openly Or Secretly? by Tajbol4splend(m): 9:47am On Jul 08, 2018
Zenithpeak:
If you are to do Christ's way....... Secretly! (Blessed of the Lord that sees your motive)

But you may choose the other way round, just that you have received your reward already!

Tell me in the bible where Jesus said it should be done secretly
Re: How Do You Do Charity? Openly Or Secretly? by Godson201333(m): 9:51am On Jul 08, 2018
CodeTemplar:
How Do You Do Charity? Openly or Secretly?

Mathew 6 : 2, 3 & 4 helps us define how it should be done but I see a lot of people today doing it openly and want immediate glory of men instead of Gods reward.

In verse 2 it is stated clearly that people who give openly have received their reward in full.

So how do you do yours?

This has been my argument most especially against the likes of Kokunfoundation or whatever he calls himself....

Mathew 6 : 2-4
----------------------------------

2 “So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full.

3 But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing,

4 so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
Re: How Do You Do Charity? Openly Or Secretly? by lastempero: 9:56am On Jul 08, 2018
s3tt1ngz003:
Pls someone should help me, am in my final year already and ought to have started writing my project by now, but as the case maybe even to feed this morning is not certain yet. My. Details is on my profile incase God touch your mind to help

I will help you secretly.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is The NIV Bible Corrupt? (for Recognise And Other Christians) / Christians, Do You Believe In Human Sacrifice? / Any Christian To Help Explain This?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.