Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,937 members, 7,835,124 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 05:10 AM

How Do You Do Charity? Openly Or Secretly? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Do You Do Charity? Openly Or Secretly? (4832 Views)

Howard Nyoni: TB Joshua & Oyakhilome Had Terminal Diseases, Took Drugs Secretly / Satan Has Been Allowed To Be Worshipped Openly In Washington DC As A Brave Lady / Stephen Rathod: Pastor Adeboye Donates 60% Of His Income To Charity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do You Do Charity? Openly Or Secretly? by miraclea: 10:07am On Jul 08, 2018
[quote author=CodeTemplar post=69163958]How Do You Do Charity? Openly or Secretly?

Mathew 6 : 2, 3 & 4 helps us define how it should be done but I see a lot of people today doing it openly and want immediate glory of men instead of Gods reward.

In verse 2 it is stated clearly that people who give openly have received their reward in full.

So how do you do yours?

Mathew 6 : 2-4
----------------------------------
[b]
2 “So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full.

3 But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing,

4 so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

MOG you added rewards in full the Bible does not say so and when you are a giver you can never criticize a giver giving means denying yourself sometimes empty yourself for people's comfort most keyboard warriors here are not givers invariably majority numbers of MOG are very stingy
Re: How Do You Do Charity? Openly Or Secretly? by CodeTemplar: 10:16am On Jul 08, 2018
Tajbol4splend:

Tell me in the bible where Jesus said it should be done secretly
Mathew 6:4
Re: How Do You Do Charity? Openly Or Secretly? by Olabenjamen22(m): 10:16am On Jul 08, 2018
Tajbol4splend:

Mathew 6 : 2-4
----------------------------------
2 “So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full.
3 But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing,
4 so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
Re: How Do You Do Charity? Openly Or Secretly? by CodeTemplar: 10:17am On Jul 08, 2018
Tajbol4splend:
Whether you do it openly or secretly, the willingness to do it is what counts
Read Mathew 6:2-4 again sir.
Re: How Do You Do Charity? Openly Or Secretly? by CodeTemplar: 10:19am On Jul 08, 2018
consultancy:
although it was directly stated in the holy bible to carry out charity act in secret and get your reward from God, with the advent of the internet and social media, everyone wants to be seen and heard doing these things. Everyone to his own and whatever rocks your boat do it. If you will solve the hunger problems of 100 people daily and the reward you want is for facebook to share your story, then so be it, as long as those 100 people benefit from your charitable act. Afteral most critics will never give out 50 naira to hungry child on the streets. Doesn't mean i support those publicly showcasing their charity acts
Giving openly denies of Gods reward.
Re: How Do You Do Charity? Openly Or Secretly? by consultancy: 10:22am On Jul 08, 2018
CodeTemplar:
Giving openly denies of Gods reward.
i agree with that
Re: How Do You Do Charity? Openly Or Secretly? by Zenithpeak(m): 10:38am On Jul 08, 2018
Tajbol4splend:

This is it.

Matthew 6:1-4 KJV
Take heed that ye do not your alms a before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of b your Father which is in heaven.

[2] Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

[3] But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth:

[4] That thine alms c may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.
Re: How Do You Do Charity? Openly Or Secretly? by Nobody: 10:44am On Jul 08, 2018
I like to do mine secretly, I don't like to show off.

When you give, you shouldn't blow your own trumpet, let someone blow it for you especially the person you gave, subsequently, God's blessings will locate you.
Re: How Do You Do Charity? Openly Or Secretly? by monaPhilz: 11:47am On Jul 08, 2018
I will be glad if someone here can help pay my school fee. If you doubt I can give my portal details to pay rather than sending me the money.

Dokimazo, HungerBAD, Diso60090, help a boy.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Do Charity? Openly Or Secretly? by NwaforIgbo: 12:43pm On Jul 08, 2018
If you're helping someone personally, its wrong for you to make it public. But if you're giving out to more than one persons, you can't really do it in secrete. Even Jesus fed 5000 people in public.
Re: How Do You Do Charity? Openly Or Secretly? by ivanG07(m): 1:31pm On Jul 08, 2018
Proudlyngwa:

Charity, does not have to be monetary alone.
There are cases, where you have to make people know, you are in charge of some charitable situations, so that they can assist or if possible use the funds for other notable and noble purposes.
The Bible spoke against it being open, because of the situation back then "Ego" . Whether we are doing it openly or secretly, we should not allow pride be involved, and we should resist any form of Reward for it, Brit praise worship or otherwise.
the EGO is still happening today and that is why the bible is the,same yestarday, today and forever.The only one book that covers the books writeen yestarday today and forever,so let the bible be your compass and you will not miss road.
Re: How Do You Do Charity? Openly Or Secretly? by IME1: 6:16pm On Jul 08, 2018
smiley
TLF - I agree with Abs to a greater extent. I learnt how to give because I saw my father give. I learnt how to give clean and generous offering because I saw my mother do. She never gave me coins as a child to put in the box and the money was not taped! I also learnt to put money in humility and not like I'm spraying money or doing anyone a favour! I started TLF when the only public medium was basic yahoo mail. As time went I was advised to make brochures, have fliers, have fb, blog, even instagram. I was told to make videos, take pictures and use to solicit for funds, prove I was doing something and get members! Phew! Thank God for light. Idowu and Abs, as the Spirit leads, now eh I know those who want to donate, join or acknowledge our activities with or without 'show' that is, pictures, videos, receipts and all will do. Those who don't want to give won't. Now my mother does not tell me or allow me see or know what she's giving, how, why or when! Now most places of charity- orphanages, remand homes, prisons and all don't even allow pictures as much as possible. I do have a couple of pictures but they are in my folder. We have some on our blog and a few used as backdrop in our picture message. But ultimately the Lord God knows our hearts, minds, intentions and deeds. Jesus Who said we should give alms in secret in the Holy Bible, also says in Matthew 5:16; 2 Corinthians 9:7, 11, 12 that we should let our light shine and good works so people will offer thanks to God! Let the Spirit of God lead. One day you may see our activities on our page�

Aderonke - Hmmm... This is just one way of looking at it, sis and I disagree with the generalization. Sometimes, posting catastrophes and narrating the accompanying interventions have a tremendous impact, they inspire! Some people are genuinely ignorant of the extent of hardships, lack and pain that other people are going through and sometimes it takes just one post about a humane deed to trigger their consciousness and trigger similar actions on their part; it can be a call to action. I have experienced these things personally, sis & it works. Motive & intention often matter too. 

Chioma - The Feeding of the 5,000 is also known as the "miracle of the five loaves and two fish", because the Gospel of John reports that five barley loaves and two small fish supplied by a boy were used by Jesus to feed a multitude. ... They said they only had five loaves of bread and two fish, which Jesus asked be brought to him. If this story wasn't shared we would never have heard of the miraculous wonders of giving.

1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

5 Things Christians Do Now And Don't Consider It Sin Anymore. / Apostle Johnson Suleman's 2015 Prophesy. / The Ungodly Influence Of Dance And Secular Music To Youths.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.