Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,253 members, 7,864,328 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 04:09 PM

Sen. Victor Umeh Denies Being Rigged Into Senate - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sen. Victor Umeh Denies Being Rigged Into Senate (300 Views)

APC Replies Davido's Father Deji Adeleke's Claim Of Osun Election Being Rigged / Atiku Has No Moral Basis To Complain Of Being Rigged Out, Says Junaid Mohammed / 15 Igbo Billionaires To Fund Bianca Ojukwu’s Election Into Senate - Ohakim (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Sen. Victor Umeh Denies Being Rigged Into Senate by OrientDailyNews: 3:17pm On Jul 10, 2018
By Praise Necherem

The Senator representing Anam­bra Central Senatorial Zone, Victor Umeh, has denied accu­sation that he indulged in elec­toral malpractice to win his election into the Senate last January.

He denied that irregularities marred the election that made him a senator, adding that the election was a walk­over after defeating his opponents over­whelmingly.

Umeh stated this over the weekend at the election tribunal for cross-exam­ination in a petition filed against him by Mr. Nkem Ekweozor, a candidate of the Mega Progressive Peoples Party (MPPP) in the January 13 rerun election.

The lawmaker said the election was peaceful, stressing that no secu­rity threats or invasions were regis­tered anywhere in all the seven local government areas where the election took place.

Meanwhile, a mild drama occurred at the tribunal when his opponent, Ekweozor, a lawyer, broke down in tears while challenging Umeh’s elec­tion.

Ekweozor, who represented himself at the tribunal, could not continue half way during his cross-examination of Umeh as he lowered his face and began to cry, cleaning his face with a white handkerchief.

The chairman of the tribunal, Jus­tice H. A. Olusiyi, who could not believe what he was seeing asked, “What is happening here? You are crying. What for? Oh, my God, a lawyer crying in court? This is unusual. How will all these people in court see you? Do you think they will hire you tomorrow to de­fend them? I have not seen a thing like this before; a lawyer crying in court?

“Counsel this not the right thing to do. We (lawyers) are trained not to be emotional. This is not the final court; if you don’t get what you want here, you can go upstairs. Lawyers don’t cry.”

Responding, Ekweozor apologised for his outburst, saying, “My Lord I’m sorry for this. I was crying for justice. My op­ponents here want to intimidate me. My lord, I am weeping for justice. I am sorry.”

Ekweozor had, while cross-examin­ing Umeh, accused him of screening himself to emerge the candidate of the All Progressives Grand Alliance in 2014 when he was still the national chairman of the party.

But in his response, Umeh said he was not a member of the APGA screen­ing committee during the exercise, nei­ther was he a member of the screening committee which was properly consti­tuted according to APGA guidelines and constitution.

He listed Mr. Tayo Sowunmi and Mr. Ifeanyi Mbaeri as chairman and secretary of the screening committee, respectively, but told the court that he could not remember the name of the third member.

Justice Olusiyi, while adjourning the matter to 12th July for adoption of ad­dresses, asked the parties to file their written addresses.

Briefing journalists after the court session, Umeh said the petitioner con­stituted little threat to his seat at the National Assembly but decided to come in obedience to the law in his usual hab­it of not wanting to circumvent rules.

It would be recalled that the elec­tion in contention was originally con­ducted in 2015 and won by Mrs. Uche Ekwunife but was nullified following the petition of Umeh.

The rerun, which was on the basis of the original nomination, barred the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) from contesting and was won by Umeh with a wide margin.

https://orientdailynews.com.ng/politics/umeh-denies-rigged-senate/

Lalasticlala seun mynd44

(1) (Reply)

PDP Apologises To Obasanjo Over Bad Conduct, Mistreatment – Aide / The Need For The Yoruba And The Igbo To Set Aside Their Differences To Achieve R / Carbide-ripened Fruits Can Kill, NAFDAC Warns

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.