Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,039 members, 7,818,070 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:52 AM

How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths (16767 Views)

ASUU Strike: How Nigerian Universities Voted / If I Do Masters Make I Bend: I Changed That Mentality After Writing This Exam. / Who Is To Be Blame For Moral Decadence Among Our Youths:parents Or Teachers? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by hennyholla17(m): 8:24am On Jul 12, 2018
Hello, nairalanders. I an Dada Eniola, blogger and content writer. I hope this piece makes front page because I would love to reach many people as I can... especially our Nigerian parents. Read and enjoy!
The Nigerian mentality is actually a very dangerous thing. It is exhibited by most of Nigerian parents and that's what makes them "typical Nigerian parents".
However, some youths have also been exhibiting this trait and it's more of a setback for the nation than it is a way forward.

I got inspired to write this post through the wema bank seminar I attended for the student of the faculty of science, Unilag (which I happened to be among). The CEO of wema bank spoke to us and gave some of the key points most Nigerian parents don't actually give to their children.

Before we dive further, let me take you through a very brief history of how he got to where he is today (MD/CEO, WEMA BANK).

He graduated from secondary school as a division 1 student (distinction). He grew up with his uncle in Lagos who happened to sponsor his education. He was aspiring to study pharmacy in The University of Lagos. He tried first time and didn't get admission, second time same thing happened.

Third time, he was not admitted for pharmacy but he had the option to study biochemistry. Due to some reasons, he couldn't study it and his only option was chemistry science.

He took up the admission but wasn't happy in his first year because that wasn't his choice (because of the mentality around science courses). In Nigeria, people believe that engineering courses and medical courses are the best for any science student.

As such, most parents force their children into these fields, not caring about the potential the child carries. Well, he later graduated as a second class upper student (2.1).

He went further to do chemical engineering in as a postgraduate course in same UNILAG and wanted to work alongside his brother but was advised to go into accounting. He took ICAN an passed on first attempt.
He applied as the general assistant manager of a company but was given the post of an analyst. Gradually, with his hardwork, he rose to the general assistant manager and later moved to Skye bank where he held a very important role.

From Skye bank, he became the CEO of wema bank and gave them their place among the Africa's best banks. Wema bank is the first ever fully digital bank in Africa and this was achieved under his leadership.

Do you know the beautiful thing? Someone asked him a question saying: "What do you regret not doing in the university". His reply was a little bit shocking. He replied: "Not starting my own business".

For someone of his profile and achievement, you shouldn't be bothered about why you didn't make money in University, but he was.

Businesses don't generally mean selling products, services are also businesses. If you have have a talent or potential, try to develop that. All the richest men in the world are as a product of initiative and talent.
So many people have fallen due to studying the wrong courses. If all Nigerians are doctors, lawyers, accountants and engineers, who will be the surveyors, artists, forensics, entertainers, bloggers, geeks, footballer and most especially - teachers.

Parents should learn to identify the potential of a child before advising them to study a course. They push youths to study courses they are not interested in and end up becoming job seekers. Yet, we blame the government for not providing enough jobs.
Why can't we blame the parents for not providing enough minds.

Let the youths also learn to voice out their thoughts and be independent.
" It is better to live a happy life doing what you love than to be filthy rich doing what you hate." - Naijafalcon

Talents should not be wasted. Instead, they should be trained. If Nigerians want to compete among the top countries, it has to start from the youths. Doctors, lawyers, engineers and accountants will work with governments and institutions...they earn salary and are at risk of getting sacked anytime.

But self made men own their businesses, they dictate how their lives will be run. They have the potential to compete among the big names because they earn with what they enjoy doing most. If a child doesn't want to be a doctor, he shouldn't be forced to do so. Let's learn to train them and give them the right knowledge but education is equally important.

The only difference between a mechanic and a mechanical engineer is a laminated paper. This is the usefulness of education. It helps you to stand firm and defend yourself, it doesn't dictate how you love your life, how much you earn or how happy you will be.
Let's learn right. #NFNaijaYouthDevelopment

Source: https://www.naijafalcon.com.ng/2018/07/nigerian-mentality-in-education-how-it.html?m=1#

24 Likes 8 Shares

Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by Sultty(m): 12:38pm On Jul 12, 2018
Even with my slo glo sim I still made FTC. Sorry d guy below me

13 Likes

Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by neweraomo: 12:38pm On Jul 12, 2018
All I want in Nigeria right now is to move that idiotic old fool calling himself president to get the hell out of that sit, someone that can't even govern his family is governing a whole nation ,no wonder we are ranked number one nation in poverty..stop talking about education,let's talk on how this cow will get out of office angry

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by kenny905(m): 12:38pm On Jul 12, 2018
My parents forced me to study civil engineering and actually graduated with CGPA of 4.1 which is a milestone in my school.......two years after me and parents just the gaze at each ....self guilt kicking in them...I always wanted to study geography and funny enough after I graduated I got an opening in a game reserve abroad, but the wanted geographers

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by Babyhuni: 12:38pm On Jul 12, 2018
We need a total overhaul

5 Likes

Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by willi926(m): 12:38pm On Jul 12, 2018
true talk.. see me wey wan study medicine come later enter anatomy because of one thing. unsteady of make I voice out I decided to continue after all na medical course. at d end of d day na who dey suffer last last, ME. I don find work tire. I just kukuma keep my paper find other avenue to make money. cry

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by chosenchild: 12:39pm On Jul 12, 2018
i did not read that long note, FTC
Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by HoodBillionaire: 12:39pm On Jul 12, 2018
nysc shud be scrapped

10 Likes

Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by Factfinder1(m): 12:40pm On Jul 12, 2018
Education is a mess in Nigeria take it or live it

4 Likes

Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by Factfinder1(m): 12:40pm On Jul 12, 2018
Going to school in Nigeria is a waste of time and money ....where are the after school jobs??

JSS1 : I want to be a Doctor
SS1:I want to be an Engineer
8 Years Later: Contact Me for Your ITunes Gift Card for Instant Cash Out

84 Likes 12 Shares

Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by davillian(m): 12:40pm On Jul 12, 2018
To read all this epistle tire me.
Na my q10 de do the reading for me in cases like this
Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by Ukalejohn(m): 12:41pm On Jul 12, 2018
Okay
Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by udo2018: 12:41pm On Jul 12, 2018
Spot on
Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by Bryan12(m): 12:42pm On Jul 12, 2018
Times have changed.
Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by udo2018: 12:42pm On Jul 12, 2018
Factfinder1:
Going to school in Nigeria is a waste of time and money ....where are the after school jobs??

Basket mouth is a learner to you in comedy.

15 Likes

Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by ZAGMAN: 12:44pm On Jul 12, 2018
Education is very important.
Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by Nobody: 12:44pm On Jul 12, 2018
OP, I cannot stress how right you are. I remember growing up in my junior secondary school days, my father was like you will either study Petrochemical engineering or Computer engineering. I found myself building my future around those two options that weren't really my choice. In the end, I couldn't get admitted for either courses, tried several times but to no avail. I ended up studying Nautical science, a course I knew nothing about and had absolutely no passion for. I don't even like the sea at all. I later realized how much I loved business.

Same thing was done to my little brother. Accounting. He didn't get admitted for a long time until my father forced him to NOUN to study the course. He's doing the same thing to my sister. Medicine. Same story. Her grades do not meet up. He's suggesting Nursing and mid-wifery.

As a parent, know the difference between what's best and what you think is best for your kids. If you're clueless, you can start from observing the kind of toys they like from infancy and when they're older be sure ASK them what they think about something before making decisions that directly affects their futures.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by uncleFola(m): 12:45pm On Jul 12, 2018
K
Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by marttol: 12:45pm On Jul 12, 2018
K kiss undecided
Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by CodeTemplar: 12:46pm On Jul 12, 2018
Good points but our vocational choices has more telling problems than just talent. Most people think in terms what is most beneficial to their pockets and easiest to practice.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by Amberon11: 12:46pm On Jul 12, 2018
grin
Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by ClintonNzedimma(m): 12:47pm On Jul 12, 2018
hmmm
Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by Audray(f): 12:47pm On Jul 12, 2018
Factfinder1:

So damn accurate.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by agbedex: 12:48pm On Jul 12, 2018
Factfinder1:

You are very apt.

6 Likes

Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by MrAnele(m): 12:48pm On Jul 12, 2018
Nice post

Don't forget to Visit ictjobber.com, Nigeria's first designated Tech Job Portal for your latest ICT job vacancies in Nigeria
Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by brodalokie: 12:49pm On Jul 12, 2018
It is not a Nigerian mentality. It is Oracle. Nigeria is a global establishment but our indigenous pagans have injected their local Trojan. Ever wondered why parents who chose to educate their kids don't last?
Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by BabaIbo: 12:51pm On Jul 12, 2018
From my childhood thru my secondary school, I had dream of studying engineering (any of civil or chemical or petrochemical) in a federal university because I have the potential and what it takes but after sitting for post utme for × years, my dad(tho he initially allowed me to go for engineering) told me to choose a state university cos of ease of admission and the one he advised me to choose doesn't offer engineering, so I switched to Industrial Chemistry.
The truth is after graduation and NYSC. I sometimes wonder the relevance of that course because almost all the jobs in that field come with high experience requirements which makes it difficult for graduate to balance in that field and there are no graduate trainee program in the field (at least I have not seen any).
Sometimes I wonder why I didn't go for business/hustle

1 Like

Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by LZAA: 12:53pm On Jul 12, 2018
hennyholla17:
Hello, nairalanders. I an Dada Eniola, blogger and content writer. I hope this piece makes front page because I would love to reach many people as I can... especially our Nigerian parents. Read and enjoy!
The Nigerian mentality is actually a very dangerous thing. It is exhibited by most of Nigerian parents and that's what makes them "typical Nigerian parents".
However, some youths have also been exhibiting this trait and it's more of a setback for the nation than it is a way forward.

I got inspired to write this post through the wema bank seminar I attended for the student of the faculty of science, Unilag (which I happened to be among). The CEO of wema bank spoke to us and gave some of the key points most Nigerian parents don't actually give to their children.

Before we dive further, let me take you through a very brief history of how he got to where he is today (MD/CEO, WEMA BANK).

He graduated from secondary school as a division 1 student (distinction). He grew up with his uncle in Lagos who happened to sponsor his education. He was aspiring to study pharmacy in The University of Lagos. He tried first time and didn't get admission, second time same thing happened.

Third time, he was not admitted for pharmacy but he had the option to study biochemistry. Due to some reasons, he couldn't study it and his only option was chemistry science.

He took up the admission but wasn't happy in his first year because that wasn't his choice (because of the mentality around science courses). In Nigeria, people believe that engineering courses and medical courses are the best for any science student.

As such, most parents force their children into these fields, not caring about the potential the child carries. Well, he later graduated as a second class upper student (2.1).

He went further to do chemical engineering in as a postgraduate course in same UNILAG and wanted to work alongside his brother but was advised to go into accounting. He took ICAN an passed on first attempt.
He applied as the general assistant manager of a company but was given the post of an analyst. Gradually, with his hardwork, he rose to the general assistant manager and later moved to Skye bank where he held a very important role.

From Skye bank, he became the CEO of wema bank and gave them their place among the Africa's best banks. Wema bank is the first ever fully digital bank in Africa and this was achieved under his leadership.

Do you know the beautiful thing? Someone asked him a question saying: "What do you regret not doing in the university". His reply was a little bit shocking. He replied: "Not starting my own business".

For someone of his profile and achievement, you shouldn't be bothered about why you didn't make money in University, but he was.

Businesses don't generally mean selling products, services are also businesses. If you have have a talent or potential, try to develop that. All the richest men in the world are as a product of initiative and talent.
So many people have fallen due to studying the wrong courses. If all Nigerians are doctors, lawyers, accountants and engineers, who will be the surveyors, artists, forensics, entertainers, bloggers, geeks, footballer and most especially - teachers.

Parents should learn to identify the potential of a child before advising them to study a course. They push youths to study courses they are not interested in and end up becoming job seekers. Yet, we blame the government for not providing enough jobs.
Why can't we blame the parents for not providing enough minds.

Let the youths also learn to voice out their thoughts and be independent.
" It is better to live a happy life doing what you love than to be filthy rich doing what you hate." - Naijafalcon

Talents should not be wasted. Instead, they should be trained. If Nigerians want to compete among the top countries, it has to start from the youths. Doctors, lawyers, engineers and accountants will work with governments and institutions...they earn salary and are at risk of getting sacked anytime.

But self made men own their businesses, they dictate how their lives will be run. They have the potential to compete among the big names because they earn with what they enjoy doing most. If a child doesn't want to be a doctor, he shouldn't be forced to do so. Let's learn to train them and give them the right knowledge but education is equally important.

The only difference between a mechanic and a mechanical engineer is a laminated paper. This is the usefulness of education. It helps you to stand firm and defend yourself, it doesn't dictate how you love your life, how much you earn or how happy you will be.
Let's learn right. #NFNaijaYouthDevelopment

Source: https://www.naijafalcon.com.ng/2018/07/nigerian-mentality-in-education-how-it.html?m=1#
I have said it before and i will still say it again
Not evrybdy can be an entrpreneur
Even the west u are looking to have many industries and encourage art
Bill gates?carlos slim?ali baba dude?(notice i didn't call dangote cuz his wealth is ala abrahamovich aka govt sponsored)
One yoruba actor slammed d industry and said he made more as a security guard than he did as an actor
U can see d difference
Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by AZeD1(m): 12:53pm On Jul 12, 2018
hennyholla17:

The only difference between a mechanic and a mechanical engineer is a laminated paper.

What did you do(drink/eat/smoke) to come up with this sh*t?

Do you know the work of a mechanical engineer? Heck do you know the job of an engineer?

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

71 Nigerian Scientists Among Top 2% Globally - Statisense / Differences Between The Gmat And Gre / UNILAG Rewards Honest And Efficient Staff With Accelerated Promotion(Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.