Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,742 members, 7,824,141 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:20 AM

How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths (16777 Views)

ASUU Strike: How Nigerian Universities Voted / If I Do Masters Make I Bend: I Changed That Mentality After Writing This Exam. / Who Is To Be Blame For Moral Decadence Among Our Youths:parents Or Teachers? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by Harpos2(m): 12:55pm On Jul 12, 2018
Nice write up
Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by blastac: 12:55pm On Jul 12, 2018
Nice 1 but you know this is Nigeria.. Jobs are limited to mainly those areas of study. Even the government works in order to please those that read those courses so you shouldn't blame a parent that tells his/ her child to read civil engineering instead of mechanical, marine or quantity surveyor. Or neither should u blame a parent that forces the child to read accountancy or banking and finance instead of pub admin etc.. Its what it is. The job market suits most of those areas.. Like all the people that read all this therapy courses how many of them have started there own practice... If given a chance most of dem would ave gone for oda courses...
Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by Lohki31: 12:55pm On Jul 12, 2018
Indeed Education is a failed system in Nigeria, looking from the point of its structures and process, but I think the agency should not be blame in its entirety... but rather blame those who promulgated the idea of it being the sole agency for survival, especially our parents and guardians who decided to predict our future with their past.

6 Likes

Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by qanda: 12:56pm On Jul 12, 2018
First, I must thank you for the time put in writing this insightful piece. I must also say the quality of your narrative is commendable. Well done. I am part of a startup working to provide study materials to undergraduates of all Nigerian University, let me know if we can work with you to source study materials - Undergraduate Past Questions for Q and A App

For information purpose. Unilag Post Graduate Entrance Exams Past Questions and Answers is available for download on Q and A App. Download Q and A App from Google Playstore
Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by Chukwuka16: 12:59pm On Jul 12, 2018
Hmmm
Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by j1mmy: 1:00pm On Jul 12, 2018
The problem of Nigeria is not education, is is commonsense!

Don't jump the gun, start with free commonsense first before even thinking about education.

Nigeria has one of the highest rate of educated-illiterates in the world. Even with good subjects they still carry Nigeria mentality and primitive ideas around with them so slumdog Indian, Lebanese and Chinese "expatriates" (with less education) have to be imported to do what Nigerian graduates cannot do.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by Chukwuka16: 1:00pm On Jul 12, 2018
Hmmm, let me now comment.

I must commend the OP for this. The write up differs considerably from the norm that has graced NL in recent times.

The problem with our education structure isn't one of just thinking/mentality but one of lost value system. You see, the essence of parents encouraging or goading their kids to study in a particular subject area isn't because they want the kid to contribute any value to humanity but to earn money or bring them some prestige.

As a growing up kid it was a battle convincing my parents that I wasn't going to study law. Now fastforward to JAMB time and my dad though educated was insisting on my studying petroleum engineering. This is a man totally ignorant of what I as a child wanted. I had proved myself over the years in establishing scholarship in mathematics and physics and had long craved to go study electrical engineering but alas my dad felt he knew it all. The result was that I stayed home for 2 years after which I got admitted to go study my course of choice.

My interest in ee stemmed from within. It wasn't about job or anything but fascination with the discipline. Anything that allowed me utilise mathematics without hindrance was what I craved for and ee did just that.

Next was scholarship. I have never felt I needed it as an undergrad. I was content with my allowance. No gf or distractions and that meant limited expenditure. However my parents weren't feeling me. Well I paid them no heed and followed through with my heart. EE was fun and exciting. Year in year out I grew and solidified my medium term plan. My parents would have none of that. You want to be a lecturer? God, hope this boy is normal shall?

Did I answer them? No. I wasn't under locus parentis and besides I had started laying foundation for my career. When the scholarships started rolling for pg studies all they could do was look in amazement.

What kept driving me all through has been the desire to add value to my profession. When I receive feedbacks on my publications it makes me excited. Will the money come? It comes naturally since it will always chase value.

Until parents realise that their kids will have their lives to live and hence their role is advisory they would continue to lead kids astray. I feel saddened whenever I see friends whose parents led them astray especially in career choices. I must concede that my parents created an avenue for us as kids to disagree with them especially when such decisions could affect us. This platform was what enabled me spar with them on several occasions before I obtained my freedom. However, my obtaining freedom was complimented by me being responsible. My grades and other added activities continuously proved to them that I was capable of driving this vision. If I couldn't maintain those grades then it would have been foolish of me to expect them to allow me free reign.

It isn't just about parents but also about kids. I want to be a doctor or an engineer is a fine dream. Are you willing to pay the price to push it through? It will make no sense for parents to fund the education of a child who isn't bringing returns in form of food grades. Furthermore poor performance will make such a child lose any bargaining power.

We must also desist from putting a condescending label on some courses. I have seen kids afraid to say out loud what they are studying simply because of the reaction such might generate. Kids must learn to have some confidence in what they have chosen.

Education isn't to put a label on a person. No, it is to stimulate the creative thinking of a person. When creativity is stimulated, every other thing will naturally fall into place.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by MsGood(f): 1:05pm On Jul 12, 2018
Education is one of the reasons why many Nigerian youths are miserable. We believe that education is the only key to success and keep forcing our children to study hard and ignore their talents or interests. For instance, I love fashion and wanted to go to a fashion school abroad but instead, I'm studying for my master's degree because my parents are not interested. Some boys have great football skills but their parents will do everything to discourage them. If Dele Alli was raised in Nigeria, he will probably be in Unilag studying Pharmacy instead of making his country proud as a footballer. Even the one month long vacation we have for students in Nigeria is used for school lessons instead of engaging in extracurricular activities that will develope the children's talent like Americans do. I'm just fed up.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by j1mmy: 1:06pm On Jul 12, 2018
Lohki31:
Indeed Education is a failed system in Nigeria, looking from the point of its structures and process, but I think the agency should not be blame in its entirety... but rather blame those who promulgated the idea of it being the sole agency for survival, especially our parents and guardians who decided to predict our future with their past.

No, What has failed is not education but commonsense and citizen mentality. Even with little education and the correct apprenticeships and trade studies the country can still be a highly developed society.

Citizens with no commonsense and backward mentality is the root of all evils there (not education) - get it right or you also will be spreading the wrong diagnosis.

Many UK western citizens never went to colleges or universities, they learn simple trades like plastering, electrician, gas heating technician ...but many of them end up in Nigeria as expatriates bosses of local PHD holders - It all comes down to commonsense and mentality!!!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by room089: 1:06pm On Jul 12, 2018
Uncle Dada Eniola, be blessed for posting this!

1 Like

Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by j1mmy: 1:07pm On Jul 12, 2018
MsGood:
Education is one of the reasons why many Nigerian youths are miserable. We believe that education is the only key to success and keep forcing our children to study hard and ignore their talents or interests. For instance, I love fashion and wanted to go to a fashion school abroad but instead, I'm studying for my master's degree because my parents are not interested. Some boys have great football skills but their parents will do everything to discourage them. If Dele Alli was raised in Nigeria, he will probably be in Unilag studying Pharmacy instead of making his country proud as a footballer. Even the one month long vacation we have for students in Nigeria is used for school lessons instead of engaging in extracurricular activities that will develope the children's talent like Americans do. I'm just fed up.

Your response fits the same mentality that is at the heart of the issue. so people like you keep spreading the wrong reasons and others follow it in that cycle of bad mentality.

Commonsense and mentality is the problem not education period!

1 Like

Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by Yoshy: 1:09pm On Jul 12, 2018
I always loved computers, studied computer science still. Any regrets? Yeah, not learning self descipline on time. I could have mastered this key to lots of successes.
Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by ItzBIM(m): 1:13pm On Jul 12, 2018
udo2018:
Basket mouth is a learner to you in comedy.

First time I heard that joke, I laughed so hard I nearly fell off my dinosaur.
Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by Nobody: 1:13pm On Jul 12, 2018
brodalokie:
It is not a Nigerian mentality. It is Oracle. Nigeria is a global establishment but our indigenous pagans have injected their local Trojan. Ever wondered why parents who chose to educate their kids don't last?
yeah exactly, I wonder too.
Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by MsGood(f): 1:14pm On Jul 12, 2018
j1mmy:

Your response fits the same mentality that is at the heart of the issue. so people like you keep spreading the wrong reasons and others follow it in that cycle of bad mentality.

Commonsense and mentality is the problem not education period!
See, Nigeria has a lot of issues. You said yours and I said mine. So, kí lo de? Let's just do everything in our capacities to right the wrong do that our nation will be better. I believe future leaders of the country are here so they learn. There's nothing wrong with education. It's just being misused by a lot of people.
Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by InvertedHammer: 1:15pm On Jul 12, 2018
Nigerian parents move with the current trend and not future outlook.

Someone made a lot of money as a doctor, they push their wards towards medicine.
Someone made a lot of money as a footballer, their kids enrol in football academy.

But barriers are being broken in different fields. Nigerian parents can not seem to think beyond middle class level for their wards like lawyers, engineers, doctors, etc.

/

1 Like

Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by IMASTEX: 1:19pm On Jul 12, 2018
kenny905:
My parents forced me to study civil engineering and actually graduated with CGPA of 4.1 which is a milestone in my school.......two years after me and parents just the gaze at each ....self guilt kicking in them...I always wanted to study geography and funny enough after I graduated I got an opening in a game reserve abroad, but the wanted geographers
Imagine the big guilt they will feel.

1 Like

Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by brodalokie: 1:19pm On Jul 12, 2018
Netanyahu1:
yeah exactly, I wonder too.

When you go to the city estates you will be lost in the utopia of civilization but the day the local warlords catch you, it won't matter anymore.
Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by sexdoll: 1:21pm On Jul 12, 2018
j1mmy:
The problem of Nigeria is not education, is is commonsense!

Don't jump the gun, start with free commonsense first before even thinking about education.

Nigeria has one of the highest rate of educated-illiterates in the world. Even with good subjects they still carry Nigeria mentality and primitive ideas around with them so slumdog Indian, Lebanese and Chinese "expatriates" (with less education) have to be imported to do what Nigerian graduates cannot do.

o boy eh, too much sense wee nor kee you, aswear!!!
Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by guess1109(f): 2:04pm On Jul 12, 2018
Education in itself is just a means to an end but a typical Nigerian parent believes it is an end and the end to poverty in the family!

The ideology that worked in the 1960s when it's just an handful that go to universities and jobs were always waiting for them is what a typical Nigerian parent still believes, unfortunately, even MSC is as common as pure water now.

I think it's high time we start teaching children not just to chase money but how to add value with whatever choice they make career wise, and not to look down on any course of study.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by enabledgoddess(f): 2:08pm On Jul 12, 2018
Education is many things to a white man , but a paper (certificate) to a black man. It is an avenue to explore and build to a white man, but a means of seeking for a job (comfort zone ) for a black man. Kudos op. Is High time parents sat up and understand that education is beyond four walls. Do you know that most of the blue collar job we look down here in Nigeria such as hairdresser, plumber, tailoring, baking and many are actually noble jobs abroad and are run under organized platform education is not just ABC but what can you do to give yourself and others a better , happier and fulfilled life ?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by cooltola(m): 2:14pm On Jul 12, 2018
Going to school in Nigeria is not a waste of time. It may not pay now but it will pay in the future especially if you intend to go abroad. Do not underestimate the power of education. Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerburg dropped out but college played in a key role in their success
Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by franchasng: 2:18pm On Jul 12, 2018
Laugh wan tear my stomach for this thread o cheesy

Nigerian youths are all comedians I swear cheesy

@factfinder1, you are mast o cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by franchasng: 2:21pm On Jul 12, 2018
MsGood:
kiss
Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by Histrings08(m): 2:24pm On Jul 12, 2018
This your comment got me.. Pls explain better
brodalokie:
It is not a Nigerian mentality. It is Oracle. Nigeria is a global establishment but our indigenous pagans have injected their local Trojan. Ever wondered why parents who chose to educate their kids don't last?
Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by nigg(m): 2:26pm On Jul 12, 2018
I think he does not understand what the mechanical engineers do?
Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by brodalokie: 2:28pm On Jul 12, 2018
Histrings08:
This your comment got me.. Pls explain better

Experience will explain it better. I have recently gotten two spoon sugar of our local mentality and I weighed it. Nigeria is fine but the ethnic trojan is what you have to avoid.

1 Like

Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by hennyholla17(m): 2:34pm On Jul 12, 2018
Chukwuka16:
Hmmm, let me now comment.

I must commend the OP for this. The write up differs considerably from the norm that has graced NL in recent times.

The problem with our education structure isn't one of just thinking/mentality but one of lost value system. You see, the essence of parents encouraging or goading their kids to study in a particular subject area isn't because they want the kid to contribute any value to humanity but to earn money or bring them some prestige.

As a growing up kid it was a battle convincing my parents that I wasn't going to study law. Now fastforward to JAMB time and my dad though educated was insisting on my studying petroleum engineering. This is a man totally ignorant of what I as a child wanted. I had proved myself over the years in establishing scholarship in mathematics and physics and had long craved to go study electrical engineering but alas my dad felt he knew it all. The result was that I stayed home for 2 years after which I got admitted to go study my course of choice.

My interest in ee stemmed from within. It wasn't about job or anything but fascination with the discipline. Anything that allowed me utilise mathematics without hindrance was what I craved for and ee did just that.

Next was scholarship. I have never felt I needed it as an undergrad. I was content with my allowance. No gf or distractions and that meant limited expenditure. However my parents weren't feeling me. Well I paid them no heed and followed through with my heart. EE was fun and exciting. Year in year out I grew and solidified my medium term plan. My parents would have none of that. You want to be a lecturer? God, hope this boy is normal shall?

Did I answer them? No. I wasn't under locus parentis and besides I had started laying foundation for my career. When the scholarships started rolling for pg studies all they could do was look in amazement.

What kept driving me all through has been the desire to add value to my profession. When I receive feedbacks on my publications it makes me excited. Will the money come? It comes naturally since it will always chase value.

Until parents realise that their kids will have their lives to live and hence their role is advisory they would continue to lead kids astray. I feel saddened whenever I see friends whose parents led them astray especially in career choices. I must concede that my parents created an avenue for us as kids to disagree with them especially when such decisions could affect us. This platform was what enabled me spar with them on several occasions before I obtained my freedom. However, my obtaining freedom was complimented by me being responsible. My grades and other added activities continuously proved to them that I was capable of driving this vision. If I couldn't maintain those grades then it would have been foolish of me to expect them to allow me free reign.

It isn't just about parents but also about kids. I want to be a doctor or an engineer is a fine dream. Are you willing to pay the price to push it through? It will make no sense for parents to fund the education of a child who isn't bringing returns in form of food grades. Furthermore poor performance will make such a child lose any bargaining power.

We must also desist from putting a condescending label on some courses. I have seen kids afraid to say out loud what they are studying simply because of the reaction such might generate. Kids must learn to have some confidence in what they have chosen.

Education isn't to put a label on a person. No, it is to stimulate the creative thinking of a person. When creativity is stimulated, every other thing will naturally fall into place.
beautiful
Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by hennyholla17(m): 2:36pm On Jul 12, 2018
room089:
Uncle Dada Eniola, be blessed for posting this!
Amen
Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by hennyholla17(m): 2:37pm On Jul 12, 2018
Yoshy:
I always loved computers, studied computer science still. Any regrets? Yeah, not learning self descipline on time. I could have mastered this key to lots of successes.
One day u will get to where u want

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by Nobody: 2:37pm On Jul 12, 2018
Earthbound:
OP, I cannot stress how right you are. I remember growing up in my junior secondary school days, my father was like you will either study Petrochemical engineering or Computer engineering. I found myself building my future around those two options that weren't really my choice. In the end, I couldn't get admitted for either courses, tried several times but to no avail. I ended up studying Nautical science, a course I knew nothing about and had absolutely no passion for. I don't even like the sea at all. I later realized how much I loved business.

Same thing was done to my little brother. Accounting. He didn't get admitted for a long time until my father forced him to NOUN to study the course. He's doing the same thing to my sister. Medicine. Same story. Her grades do not meet up. He's suggesting Nursing and mid-wifery.

As a parent, know the difference between what's best and what you think is best for your kids. If you're clueless, you can start from observing the kind of toys they like from infancy and when they're older be sure ASK them what they think about something before making decisions that directly affects their futures.

Bros, if he succeeds in implementing the same archaic tradition on your sister, the blame should be entirely on you. I have been fighting my way through every decision since I way in SS 1. It was late already because I was in the science arm when it was obvious I belong to the art. My creativity, oratory skill, confidence at anything regarding argument and talks clearly distinct me from my peers even up until now but I was naive. I found out how terrible the effect of that singular decision was but it was late already.

My immediate brother followed suit even when they knew that one isn't as sound as I am academically. Well I have been doing fine but my joy would have known no bound if I were in the art. I would have moved at the speed of light.

But guess what! My youngest brother was never to fall victim of such decision. I told them he wouldn't ever go to the science class. He's clearly not meant to be there. He would fair better in the commercial arm. I allowed them see reasons and I don't ever back down of any argument whenever such comes up. Not again! I take every decision that concerns him now and I won't be tired of doing so, whether they like it or not. And that's what I want you to do. Save your dear sister too.

2 Likes

Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by hennyholla17(m): 2:40pm On Jul 12, 2018
enabledgoddess:
Education is many things to a white man , but a paper (certificate) to a black man. It is an avenue to explore and build to a white man, but a means of seeking for a job (comfort zone ) for a black man. Kudos op. Is High time parents sat up and understand that education is beyond four walls. Do you know that most of the blue collar job we look down here in Nigeria such as hairdresser, plumber, tailoring, baking and many are actually noble jobs abroad and are run under organized platform education is not just ABC but what can you do to give yourself and others a better , happier and fulfilled life ?
thanks for your contribution

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

UNILAG Rewards Honest And Efficient Staff With Accelerated Promotion(Photo) / JAMB Clears Doubt On 2013 UTME Results / Literature-in-english Online Tutorial For UTME 2014/2015

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.