Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,035 members, 7,818,059 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:13 AM

My Ambition Was To Become Inspector General Of Police –ribadu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Ambition Was To Become Inspector General Of Police –ribadu (5769 Views)

Why FG Suspended Comptroller General Of Immigration – Femi Adesina / Inspector General Of Police Restores Tambuwal’s Security Aides / Gov Fashola Meets Mbu, Assistant Inspector General Of Police(Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Ambition Was To Become Inspector General Of Police –ribadu by evil666(m): 3:24am On Jun 12, 2010
Seven days after he returned from a 17-month exile, the immediate past Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, has revealed that his aspiration before he was prematurely retired from the Nigeria Police Force was to become the Inspector General of Police.

Ribadu, who disclosed this in an exclusive interview with our correspondents in Abuja on Thursday, also said that he would not reject an offer from President Goodluck Jonathan to serve in his government, because doing so would amount to disrespecting the President.

Commenting on his retirement from the police, Ribadu said that he was saddened by the development, adding that he had committed 25 years of dedicated service to the police as an avenue for societal development and had nursed what he called “a natural aspiration to become the Inspector General of Police.”

He dismissed the argument in some quarters that the restoration of his rank was causing disenchantment in the force because his mates were still Deputy Commissioners of Police.

Ribadu said it was inconceivable for anybody to suggest that rewarding hard work in an organisation was wrong, arguing that if the former Inspector General of Police, Mr. Mike Okiro, could be promoted from the rank of a Commissioner of Police to the position of a Deputy Inspector General of Police, there was nothing odd in his own promotion to AIG.

Although he stated that he had not received an offer to serve in the Jonathan administration in any capacity, the pioneer EFCC boss said that he was ready to serve his fatherland.

Even before one of our correspondents could finish asking him if he was ready to work in the new government, Ribadu said, ”That is not a fair question. I don‘t think I would even allow you to finish, because I have not been given (an appointment) yet. And what do you expect me to say now? That if the Federal Government gives me a job, I will say no? I am not that disrespectful. And for me, I am not begging for any job, and I don‘t want to show any sign of disrespect.”

Ribadu‘s comments followed the growing speculations that President Jonathan had concluded arrangements to appoint him as a Special Adviser on Anti-Corruption, as part of the efforts of the Federal Government to strengthen the fight against corruption in the country.

It was gathered that the appointment would put the retired Assistant Inspector General of Police in a position to supervise the EFCC, the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission and related agencies in the country.

Although the former EFCC boss, whose earlier dismissal from the police was converted to retirement recently, refused to assess the state of the campaign against corruption, he bemoaned the slow pace of development at the foremost anti-corruption agency, stressing that the tempo of improvement he initiated was not sustained by those who took over the reins of leadership at the agency.

For example, he decried a situation whereby a good number of the things that were put to test and which delivered results were subjected to systemic reversal, explaining that some of the best operatives of the commission who were exposed to the best trainings and were among the best in the world, and who were indeed adequately prepared to prosecute the assault on corruption were thrown out.

”I feel sad when all the things that worked, that delivered results, are systematically and gradually being undermined and reversed. We spent so much money to train these chaps and they were some of the best you can get, not in Nigeria alone, but in the world, because we really have that chance to learn the best.

”We brought in the best instruments and tools. We got them the best training and they were fully prepared to continue with the job and majority of them were taken out of the system. That is very, very sad,” he said.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20100612454490
Re: My Ambition Was To Become Inspector General Of Police –ribadu by mrperfect2(m): 12:08pm On Jun 12, 2010
Well, he is wecome to his father land.
Re: My Ambition Was To Become Inspector General Of Police –ribadu by sandee575(f): 12:18pm On Jun 12, 2010
Ribadu should be grateful for the pardon hes been given but look outside
government jobs or appointments and just move forward with his life. He
can set up a private investigation company for instance. I think he should
not overstay his welcome on the public scene.
Re: My Ambition Was To Become Inspector General Of Police –ribadu by wazobiang: 4:50pm On Jun 12, 2010
make dem give am d thing naa
Re: My Ambition Was To Become Inspector General Of Police –ribadu by stuffs4me(m): 6:03pm On Jun 12, 2010
Ribadu is just some hypocritical arogant shit, I want him to answer why he decided to stow away $15million until when it was too hot for him to keep. He still has not explained why it was his family and friends that bought the properties of tafa balogun and so many other properties at undervalued prices

Ribadu, who disclosed this in an exclusive interview with our correspondents in Abuja on Thursday, also said that he would not reject an offer from President Goodluck Jonathan to serve in his government, because doing so would amount to disrespecting the President.
Talking about ass licking

Ribadu, ur selective job is done. Ur job was for you to hunt down OBJ’s perceived political enemies. Please leave goodluck alone.
Re: My Ambition Was To Become Inspector General Of Police –ribadu by Knight1(m): 7:55pm On Jun 12, 2010
to Ribadu,
thanks for the hint! it is, Noted
Re: My Ambition Was To Become Inspector General Of Police –ribadu by babaowo: 9:41pm On Jun 12, 2010
ribadu is thief
Re: My Ambition Was To Become Inspector General Of Police –ribadu by ekpezoo: 10:02pm On Jun 12, 2010
would have been wonderful to have a man like him who is interested in change not business as usual as IG. the nigerian police force has become a sign of nigeria's moral decadence.imagine a situation where each time the government increases their salaries to better their living they increase their roja.i believe he would have brought a change for the better cool.
Re: My Ambition Was To Become Inspector General Of Police –ribadu by lastpage: 10:14pm On Jun 12, 2010
@stuffs4me
Ribadu is just some hypocritical arogant poo, I want him to answer why he decided to stow away $15million until when it was too hot for him to keep. He still has not explained why it was his family and friends that bought the properties of tafa balogun  and so many other properties at undervalued prices
While it is very easy to "trumpet what other say", when it becomes an allegation, the honorable thing to do, if the one making the allegation has any iota of honor, is to SHOW OR PUT FORWARD EVIDENCE/PROOF.

Fro example, what does it take the above person to:
1.)Mention the name of Ribadu's family member that bought Tafa's house, location of the house, Price, e.t.c. (facts and figures that would assist others to prosecute him)
2.)Or name any of Ribadu's family member that bought any of those properties and THE PRICE they bought it?

Lets not be too "brain-lazy" in making accusations.
You could be right BUT if you expect us to "take your word" for it, just because you said so, (l hate to use such foul language as l have in my head right now, on anyone grin )

Its only in Nigeria, where the court take eternity to give a ridiculous judgment, that you can accuse someone (slander and defamation of character) without proof and still get away with it.
We need to sit up and extricate ourselves form all these "idle talk" despite the fact that  "an idle mind has become the Devil's workshop"!

SHOW PROOF OR COP UP.
Re: My Ambition Was To Become Inspector General Of Police –ribadu by AkoEja: 12:44pm On Jun 13, 2010
Some of the children and relatives of thiefs that Ribadu dealt with are nairalanders hanging around here to say as much bad as they can say about him.
Re: My Ambition Was To Become Inspector General Of Police –ribadu by Nobody: 1:04pm On Jun 13, 2010
babaowo:

ribadu is thief
AkoEja:

Some of the children and relatives of thiefs that Ribadu dealt with are nairalanders hanging around here to say as much bad as they can say about him.
stuffs4me:

Ribadu is just some hypocritical arogant poo, I want him to answer why he decided to stow away $15million until when it was too hot for him to keep. He still has not explained why it was his family and friends that bought the properties of tafa balogun and so many other properties at undervalued prices
Talking about backside licking

Ribadu, your selective job is done. your job was for you to hunt down OBJ’s perceived political enemies. Please leave goodluck alone.
Re: My Ambition Was To Become Inspector General Of Police –ribadu by software(m): 7:12pm On Jun 13, 2010
if Ribadu is appointed, so many politicians will be in trouble, He will be back to fight back, Na dem dem wahala.
Re: My Ambition Was To Become Inspector General Of Police –ribadu by Osama10(m): 7:17pm On Jun 13, 2010
Why are we worried, thats past tense now and he can never be that anymore. embarassed
Re: My Ambition Was To Become Inspector General Of Police –ribadu by SLIGHT(m): 8:30pm On Jun 13, 2010
Which policeman doesnt dream of becoming the ig of police?
Re: My Ambition Was To Become Inspector General Of Police –ribadu by SLIGHT(m): 8:31pm On Jun 13, 2010
Re: My Ambition Was To Become Inspector General Of Police –ribadu by chidichris(m): 9:26pm On Jun 13, 2010
the key word here is; WAS.
his ambition was to be ig but he joined politics along the line and ig is not for politicians.
he lost it.
Re: My Ambition Was To Become Inspector General Of Police –ribadu by mamagee3(f): 9:35pm On Jun 13, 2010
Thank God that dream and ambition didn't come to pass, I wonder what would have happened.

Ribadu as an Inspector General Of Police, that would have been a disaster.
Re: My Ambition Was To Become Inspector General Of Police –ribadu by oyinmama(f): 10:29pm On Jun 13, 2010
SLIGHT:

I wonder o,  undecided
Re: My Ambition Was To Become Inspector General Of Police –ribadu by NaijaNaWaa: 11:23pm On Jun 13, 2010
Ribadu admitted that his father-in-law bought a house for him in Asokoro or Maitama for N40m. According to him, he would've raised the money himself (meaning that he's worth that amount) but demurred cos it will generate furore. He also admitted to owning a bullet proof SUV (watch his PBS interview). The questions are:

1. Who is Ribadu's father-in-law and what does he do for a living? Can we see his tax returns for the past 30 years to access his income?
2. How did Ribadu acquire a bullet SUV? From his regular earnings or another gift from his father-in-law?
3. How many policemen/public servants can afford a bullet-proof SUV?
4. Can Ribadu show us his pay-slips since he joined the police?

Somebody should tell Ribadu and his praise singers that we are smarter than he thought. I don't see any difference between Ribadu and Ibori. Period.
Re: My Ambition Was To Become Inspector General Of Police –ribadu by Osama10(m): 11:35pm On Jun 13, 2010
ok.
Re: My Ambition Was To Become Inspector General Of Police –ribadu by PapaBrowne(m): 1:46am On Jun 14, 2010
NaijaNaWaa:

Ribadu admitted that his father-in-law bought a house for him in Asokoro or Maitama for N40m. According to him, he would've raised the money himself (meaning that he's worth that amount) but demurred cos it will generate furore. He also admitted to owning a bullet proof SUV (watch his PBS interview). The questions are:

1. Who is Ribadu's father-in-law and what does he do for a living? Can we see his tax returns for the past 30 years to access his income?
2. How did Ribadu acquire a bullet SUV? From his regular earnings or another gift from his father-in-law?

Somebody should tell Ribadu and his praise singers that we are smarter than he thought. I don't see any difference between Ribadu and Ibori. Period.

Go and ask those questions to your traditional ruler! Why do we sometimes just love to be so pointless!!
Re: My Ambition Was To Become Inspector General Of Police –ribadu by gadogado(m): 4:08am On Jun 14, 2010
NaijaNaWaa:

His father in-law is prof. Iya Abubakar, a former mathematics professor at ABU Zaria, former VC of ABU Zaria and former senator representing Adamawa State. Currently a businessman. His father in-law can afford a house worth 40 million naira as well as a bullet proof vehicle which is about $50,000.
Re: My Ambition Was To Become Inspector General Of Police –ribadu by seanet02: 4:45am On Jun 14, 2010
@gadogado. Stop displaying your ignorance in the public, dont you know how much waziri is collecting per month as salary, (3 million) not including some allowances that even dwarfs the basic salary. For GODS sake this guy was there for more than 6yrs, so you think he is a dust bin investor like you. Stop painting the scarce men that are courageous and trustworthy in this country like idiots
Re: My Ambition Was To Become Inspector General Of Police –ribadu by seanet02: 5:38am On Jun 14, 2010
@gadogado i am sorry, i thought you were the person that posted that. Never knew you are only quoting and did not read it to the last. Accept my apologies again.
Re: My Ambition Was To Become Inspector General Of Police –ribadu by NaijaNaWaa: 8:20am On Jun 14, 2010
Ok then. His father-in-law is Professor Iya Abubakar. The one who, like Ribadu, has worked for govt all his life? My question is simple: can we sight his tax returns for the past 30 years so that we can objectively determine his income? Can you also list the "businesses" owned by Professor Iya Abubukar?
I'm not ready for small pikin talk, if you don't have the answers just ignore this question or simply say so.

Thanks.
Re: My Ambition Was To Become Inspector General Of Police –ribadu by Dede1(m): 9:30am On Jun 14, 2010
evil666:

Seven days after he returned from a 17-month exile, the immediate past Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, has revealed that his aspiration before he was prematurely retired from the Nigeria Police Force was to become the Inspector General of Police.

Commenting on his retirement from the police, Ribadu said that he was saddened by the development, adding that he had committed 25 years of dedicated service to the police as an avenue for societal development and had nursed what he called “a natural aspiration to become the Inspector General of Police.”

He dismissed the argument in some quarters that the restoration of his rank was causing disenchantment in the force because his mates were still Deputy Commissioners of Police.

Ribadu said it was inconceivable for anybody to suggest that rewarding hard work in an organisation was wrong, arguing that if the former Inspector General of Police, Mr. Mike Okiro, could be promoted from the rank of a Commissioner of Police to the position of a Deputy Inspector General of Police, there was nothing odd in his own promotion to AIG.

Although he stated that he had not received an offer to serve in the Jonathan administration in any capacity, the pioneer EFCC boss said that he was ready to serve his fatherland.

Even before one of our correspondents could finish asking him if he was ready to work in the new government, Ribadu said, ”That is not a fair question. I don‘t think I would even allow you to finish, because I have not been given (an appointment) yet. And what do you expect me to say now? That if the Federal Government gives me a job, I will say no? I am not that disrespectful. And for me, I am not begging for any job, and I don‘t want to show any sign of disrespect.”

Ribadu‘s comments followed the growing speculations that President Jonathan had concluded arrangements to appoint him as a Special Adviser on Anti-Corruption, as part of the efforts of the Federal Government to strengthen the fight against corruption in the country.

It was gathered that the appointment would put the retired Assistant Inspector General of Police in a position to supervise the EFCC, the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission and related agencies in the country.

Although the former EFCC boss, whose earlier dismissal from the police was converted to retirement recently, refused to assess the state of the campaign against corruption, he bemoaned the slow pace of development at the foremost anti-corruption agency, stressing that the tempo of improvement he initiated was not sustained by those who took over the reins of leadership at the agency.

For example, he decried a situation whereby a good number of the things that were put to test and which delivered results were subjected to systemic reversal, explaining that some of the best operatives of the commission who were exposed to the best trainings and were among the best in the world, and who were indeed adequately prepared to prosecute the assault on corruption were thrown out.

”I feel sad when all the things that worked, that delivered results, are systematically and gradually being undermined and reversed. We spent so much money to train these chaps and they were some of the best you can get, not in Nigeria alone, but in the world, because we really have that chance to learn the best.

”We brought in the best instruments and tools. We got them the best training and they were fully prepared to continue with the job and majority of them were taken out of the system. That is very, very sad,” he said.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20100612454490

Nobody has slightly suggested that the rewarding a hard work is wrong in any organization. However, there is everything wrong about promoting a lazy police officer such as Nuhu Ribadu to DIG. It is very silly of this hypercritic and sycophant called Ribadu to compare his unmeritorious promotion as AIG to the promotion of Mike Okiro as DIG.

When Mike Okiro was the Lagos State police commissioner, he is reputed to have led Anti-Robbery team in patrols and engaged in fire fights with armed robbers. It is very uncommon to see police officers of the caliber of CP in anti-robbery patrols. Mike Okiro’s promotion from CP to DIG was meritorious due to his selfless service to Nigerian society as a police officer.

In the other instance, Nuhu Ribadu has never arrested a common trespasser during his questionable tenure as a Nigerian Police Officer before his nepotistic appointment as chairman of EFCC. Baring his state of origin, it would have been hard for this typical hero of Nigeria to make DCP.
Re: My Ambition Was To Become Inspector General Of Police –ribadu by hercules07: 9:38am On Jun 14, 2010
Dede1:

Nobody has slightly suggested that the rewarding a hard work is wrong in any organization. However, there is everything wrong about promoting a lazy police officer such as Nuhu Ribadu to DIG. It is very silly of this hypercritic and sycophant called Ribadu to compare his unmeritorious promotion as AIG to the promotion of Mike Okiro as DIG.

When Mike Okiro was the Lagos State police commissioner, he is reputed to have led Anti-Robbery team in patrols and engaged in fire fights with armed robbers. It is very uncommon to see police officers of the caliber of CP in anti-robbery patrols. Mike Okiro’s promotion from CP to DIG was meritorious due to his selfless service to Nigerian society as a police officer.

In the other instance, Nuhu Ribadu has never arrested a common trespasser during his questionable tenure as a Nigerian Police Officer before his nepotistic appointment as chairman of EFCC. Baring his state of origin, it would have been hard for this typical hero of Nigeria to make DCP.

Which Okiro, the one that was in Osun state and Armed Robbery ballooned, please Ribadu is ten times the man Okiro was.
Re: My Ambition Was To Become Inspector General Of Police –ribadu by Dede1(m): 12:40pm On Jun 14, 2010
hercules07:

Which Okiro, the one that was in Osun state and Armed Robbery ballooned, please Ribadu is ten times the man Okiro was.

It is very shameful that most Nigerians will go to any length to support mediocre. I am not sure about this Osun State and Okiro crap. Simply being appointed as State CP or even IG will not eradicate armed robbery in Nigeria.

However, it is quite unconscionable to compare the services of a police officer who had fought crime as an active duty officer to another police officer who has never arrested a mere trespasser.

The office of the chairman of EFCC is not exclusive duty of active police officer. The current chairman of the EFCC is retired police officer. Anybody could be appointed as the chairman of EFCC.

In my book, Nuhu Ribadu is an embodiment of fraud.
Re: My Ambition Was To Become Inspector General Of Police –ribadu by DaddyO(m): 1:14pm On Jun 14, 2010
Ribudu was more deserving of promotion than Okiro. Okiro is an establishment man, achieved pretty little and was simply fortunate to be in OBJ's good books.

As for Ribadu, he was, is, truely a force for good.

But I'm not surprised at the anti Ribadu sentiments. In a society where a majority are severly brainwashed, mentaly diminished, or outright currupt, rational reasoning cannot be commonplace.
Re: My Ambition Was To Become Inspector General Of Police –ribadu by hercules07: 3:32pm On Jun 14, 2010
Dede1:

It is very shameful that most Nigerians will go to any length to support mediocre. I am not sure about this Osun State and Okiro crap. Simply being appointed as State CP or even IG will not eradicate armed robbery in Nigeria.

However, it is quite unconscionable to compare the services of a police officer who had fought crime as an active duty officer to another police officer who has never arrested a mere trespasser.

The office of the chairman of EFCC is not exclusive duty of active police officer. The current chairman of the EFCC is retired police officer. Anybody could be appointed as the chairman of EFCC.

In my book, Nuhu Ribadu is an embodiment of fraud.

Bros, which one is more mediocre, the one that helped increase crime rate or the one that put some powerful people behind bars. As long as I am concerned, Ribadu tried, yes, he had his faults, but, none of those he prosecuted can say they were innocent. Let Waziri prosecute the other thieves. Okiro was not meant to eradicate robbery but at least reduce the bloody thing abi no be hin work order be that and as the commissioner of police, the buck stops at his table.
Re: My Ambition Was To Become Inspector General Of Police –ribadu by ud4u: 4:36pm On Jun 14, 2010
mama-gee:

Thank God that dream and ambition didn't come to pass, I wonder what would have happened.

Ribadu as an Inspector General Of Police, that would have been a disaster.

Seconded
Re: My Ambition Was To Become Inspector General Of Police –ribadu by lastpage: 8:37pm On Jun 14, 2010
@DaddyO
[size=18pt]But I'm not surprised at the anti Ribadu sentiments. In a society where a majority are severly brainwashed, mentaly diminished, or outright currupt, rational reasoning cannot be commonplace[/size].

GBAM! Thats the word jooo kiss

Who will the flies support, if not the man with a SORE?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ebele Obiano Slaps Deputy Governor's Wife / RMAFC Wants VAT Increased To 7.5% / Just Breaking: Army Kills A Fulani Terrorist Commander(Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.