Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,243 members, 7,815,335 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:00 AM

EXPOSED: Shocking Exploitation Of Parents At Caleb British International School - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / EXPOSED: Shocking Exploitation Of Parents At Caleb British International School (11181 Views)

EXPOSED: Shocking Exploitation Of Parents At Caleb British International School / #11 Million Tuition Per Year : Meet American International School, Lagos / Please Help Stop Exploitation Of Ekiti State University Students (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

EXPOSED: Shocking Exploitation Of Parents At Caleb British International School by Irukkanews: 3:33am On Jul 15, 2018
There seem to be an increasing spate of exploitative tendencies by school proprietors in Nigeria, especially with the recent claims of exploitation against CALEB BRITISH INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL, LAGOS, who allegedly exploited and extorted outrageous sums of money from parents whose wards are students of the school on the pretext that their wards committed acts of wanton vandalism resulting in the destruction of school properties such as wardrobes, beds, doors in their hostel.

The school authorities as claimed waited until the day of graduation party to serve such claims of vandalism to the parents without prior notification to the parents that their wards had committed the purported acts and without giving fair hearing to the accused students to prove their innocence or even produce tangible evidence to establish the student’s complicity in the act, instead they came up with outrageous bills which they asked the parents to pay immediately as renovation costs to enable their wards to graduate while they forced students to write implicating statement.

However, one of the affected parents, Mrs Onwubiko whose son was affected lamented that the school has hotel care takers and has a tradition of checking out students from hotels on completion of their studies and that her son, Master Irukka Onwukbiko was checked out of the school hostel without any reports or claims of implication in any damage and wondered how few days later, she was now asked to pay for damages before he could graduate.

According to her, since her son was not the only student affected, the parents of all the students involved in the said vandalism should be called for a meeting together with their children to determine who was responsible for the purported damage. While this was not done, she also wondered why an astronomical sum of N1,300,000 should be paid by the students for a mere renovation of a knocked, wardrobe and door, even if the damage was actually committed by their wards.

Speaking further on the sheer exploitative pranks of the school, she queried the rationale behind paying an exorbitant graduation party levy of N80,000 FOR JUST A PROM PARTY at Oriental Hotel, Lagos, and wondered whether participation in a prom party has now become compulsory to graduate. In her words:

“I wonder if participating in a prom party is now by force because my son was not even interested in it.”
She also argued that passing of one’s examination guarantees that graduation is inevitable.
“once a student has paid his or her school fees and passes his or her exams, he or she is entitled to graduation, since when did Prom party become a criteria for graduation? “

She deplored the actions of the school authorities who demanded that for her son’s name to be on the list of graduating students, his parents must pay alongside other affected parents the N1.3 million being cost of renovation of bed, door and wardrobe of their hostel as shown in the picture they sent her and revealed that her family were denied entrance into the school on the graduation day because of the said Prom party fee that has not been paid.

She said, she was further peeved by the fact that after she paid the sum of N185,700 being her son’s share of the renovation cost, she was also asked to pay for the prom party at Oriental hotel, Lagos which her son did not take part in.

Showing copies of the letter of vandalism and accompany pictures sent to her by the school to us, Mrs Onwubiko called on the Lagos state government and Educational authorities to pay serious attention to the sharp practices of school proprietors in the country stressing the need to enforce strict regulation to check mate their excesses. She said:

“For an international school of the caliber of Caleb British International School, Lagos to engage in such corrupt an unbefitting exploitative conducts is a source of great worry and concern to the society in general. Education authorities in Nigeria have a great responsibility to do the needful by rising to the occasion to check such excesses. “

Read Letter From Caleb British International School To Parents [url]file:///C:/Users/me/Downloads/MR.%20AND%20MRS.%20ONWUBIKO.pdf[/url]

See more pictures here: http://www.irukkanews.com/exposed-shocking-exploitation-of-parents-at-caleb-british-international-school/

Lalasticlala

1 Share

Re: EXPOSED: Shocking Exploitation Of Parents At Caleb British International School by MANNABBQGRILLS: 3:45am On Jul 15, 2018
She said, she was further peeved by the fact that after she paid the sum of N185,700 being her son’s share of the renovation cost, she was also asked to pay for the prom party at Oriental hotel, Lagos which her son did not take part in.

This is not right in all ramifications.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: EXPOSED: Shocking Exploitation Of Parents At Caleb British International School by MANNABBQGRILLS: 3:47am On Jul 15, 2018
............she also wondered why an astronomical sum of N1,300,000 should be paid by the students for a mere renovation of a knocked, wardrobe and door, even if the damage was actually committed by their wards.

HABA!!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: EXPOSED: Shocking Exploitation Of Parents At Caleb British International School by bonechamberlain(m): 3:53am On Jul 15, 2018
smh, criminals everywhere
Re: EXPOSED: Shocking Exploitation Of Parents At Caleb British International School by Nobody: 3:55am On Jul 15, 2018
Don't know what some parents are even looking for in those unjustifiably expensive school. Wonder what they teach there.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: EXPOSED: Shocking Exploitation Of Parents At Caleb British International School by Teacher1776(m): 5:43am On Jul 15, 2018
I don't know how this is my business. Ajegunle secondary is just by the corner. U said, mba. Your son can't mix up with riffraffs. U chose British K-leg int school. Anything u see there, manage it. Cos for those of us in Ajegunle secondary school, there is no way we can comprehend these financial figures you are quoting. 80k for prom?
Well, I guess your school has a PTA. Please take your case there. The chairman will understand. Or better still, u have a ministry of education in your LGA. Go to their office and complain.
Or just pay and keep quiet. There is clear evidence properties were destroyed. It even baffled me that in spite of all the high standard your children were exposed to in that school, they still condescend so low and acted like ordinary street kids, all in the name of celebrating graduation! Even those of us in Ajegunle secondary school do not celebrate our final exam in that manner. What we sometimes do is pour pure water on each others bodies. If we must destroy anything, we simply tore each others uniforms.
I am highly disappointed in those K-leg school kids.

40 Likes 3 Shares

Re: EXPOSED: Shocking Exploitation Of Parents At Caleb British International School by adewumiopeyemi(m): 5:48am On Jul 15, 2018
Haba criminal everywere may God help us.
Re: EXPOSED: Shocking Exploitation Of Parents At Caleb British International School by UncleSnr(m): 6:14am On Jul 15, 2018
Oh, spare me that crap. Why did your son damage school property?
Your ward is irresponsible and you have to bear the brunt of his actions.
The school is right to bill you anything it deems fit, if your ward acted responsible, he wouldn't have missed prom.

3 Likes

Re: EXPOSED: Shocking Exploitation Of Parents At Caleb British International School by Samusu(m): 6:45am On Jul 15, 2018
Who send them? Dem never chi chom chun
Re: EXPOSED: Shocking Exploitation Of Parents At Caleb British International School by ObservantFellow: 7:03am On Jul 15, 2018
For starters, the school had always been an expensive one and is a private establishment. No one is forced to go there. So therefore, the best place to air these complaints is to the school to get any relevant feedback. The son's fees also form part of what is to be used in running the school so his absence is inconsequential to paying since it was previously agreed on.

To the damages issue, of course they should be made to pay much higher than the estimated cost. It's called punitive damages and to dissuade others from such acts of vandalism in the name of graduation. When one gets older, he's expected to be more co-ordinated in jugement. That #185k is a memory reset fee and a wake-up call to the parents on whom they are to expect back from school.

5 Likes

Re: EXPOSED: Shocking Exploitation Of Parents At Caleb British International School by yomalex(m): 7:10am On Jul 15, 2018
Hmm
Re: EXPOSED: Shocking Exploitation Of Parents At Caleb British International School by CecyAdrian(f): 7:41am On Jul 15, 2018
UncleSnr:
The school is right to bill you anything it deems fit, if your ward acted responsible, he wouldn't have missed prom.

I don't get. So the school can bill anything they feel like because the child was involved. Did you read the part where it said the kid checked out of the hostel without any issue? How come they are pinning these damages on them without prior notice. What if some other set of students did the damage?

3 Likes

Re: EXPOSED: Shocking Exploitation Of Parents At Caleb British International School by CecyAdrian(f): 7:44am On Jul 15, 2018
Teacher1776:
I don't know how this is my business. Ajegunle secondary is just by the corner. U said, mba. Your son can't mix up with riffraffs. U chose British K-leg int school. Anything u see there, manage it. Cos for those of us in Ajegunle secondary school, there is no way we can comprehend these financial figures you are quoting. 80k for prom?
Well, I guess your school has a PTA. Please take your case there. The chairman will understand. Or better still, u have a ministry of education in your LGA. Go to their office and complain.
Or just pay and keep quiet. There is clear evidence properties were destroyed. It even baffled me that in spite of all the high standard your children were exposed to in that school, they still condescend so low and acted like ordinary street kids, all in the name of celebrating graduation! Even those of us in Ajegunle secondary school do not celebrate our final exam in that manner. What we sometimes do is pour pure water on each others bodies. If we must destroy anything, we simply tore each others uniforms.
I am highly disappointed in those K-leg school kids.

The woman claims her son was checked out of the school without issue after his exams but was called few days after to notify her of the said damage. What if her son was not among thos who carried out the crime. Because If you commit this kind of crime in boarding school, they notify your parents and are asked to pay before checking out of the school.

Why was it not done in this case? Something is not right
Re: EXPOSED: Shocking Exploitation Of Parents At Caleb British International School by falcon01: 7:49am On Jul 15, 2018
UncleSnr:
exactly

1 Like

Re: EXPOSED: Shocking Exploitation Of Parents At Caleb British International School by Philipmems(m): 7:58am On Jul 15, 2018
post=69389609:
............she also wondered why an astronomical sum of N1,300,000 should be paid by the students for a mere renovation of a knocked, wardrobe and door, even if the damage was actually committed by their wards.

HABA!!

1.3m for mere renovation? she should teach her delinquent child some manner. He can't go around destroying people's properties and facilities. That's sum is to set a precedent especially to others that might be thinking of such madness.

3 Likes

Re: EXPOSED: Shocking Exploitation Of Parents At Caleb British International School by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:08am On Jul 15, 2018
Philipmems:

1.3m for mere renovation? she should teach her delinquent child some manner. He can't go around destroying people's properties and facilities. That's sum is to set a precedent especially to others that might be thinking of such madness.

The woman claims her son was checked out of the school without issue after his exams but was called few days after to notify her of the said damage. What if her son was not among thos who carried out the crime. Because If you commit this kind of crime in boarding school, they notify your parents and are asked to pay before checking out of the school. 

CecyAdrian, kindly permit us to borrow your post to reply this bros here.
You've helped us to type what we wanted to.
Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: EXPOSED: Shocking Exploitation Of Parents At Caleb British International School by EbukaHades10(m): 8:15am On Jul 15, 2018
kaorama:
Don't know what some parents are even looking for in those unjustifiably expensive school. Wonder what they teach there.
I guess it is Capital letter 1 and small letter 2
Re: EXPOSED: Shocking Exploitation Of Parents At Caleb British International School by CecyAdrian(f): 8:17am On Jul 15, 2018
post=69393090:

CecyAdrian, kindly permit us to borrow your post to reply this bros here.
You've helped us to type what we wanted to.
Thank you.

Please do. I wonder why they can't seem to see what they school did. This is a case of pinning a crime on a child. Even if the said child committed the crime, he was not caught in th act, he was allowed to leave the school (their biggest mistake) for days before a mail was sent to the parents without prior notification. Who does that!

1 Like

Re: EXPOSED: Shocking Exploitation Of Parents At Caleb British International School by UncleSnr(m): 8:19am On Jul 15, 2018
CecyAdrian:

I don't get. So the school can bill anything they feel like because the child was involved. Did you read the part where it said the kid checked out of the hostel without any issue? How come they are pinning these damages on them without prior notice. What if some other set of students did the damage?
The school took advantage of the situation. I remember when I was in the Seminary, the whole class was suspended for the action of a few students, the reason was that we were all accomplice to the crime (we are responsible for the actions of others).
Also, when my younger sister was in secondary school, if you are caught outside the school without a signed exeat card, you are to bring close to (if not more) 30blocks and 2 bags of cement.

1 Like

Re: EXPOSED: Shocking Exploitation Of Parents At Caleb British International School by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:20am On Jul 15, 2018
CecyAdrian:

Please do. I wonder why they can't seem to see what they school did. This is a case of pinning a crime on a child. Even if the said child committed the crime, he was not caught in th act, he was allowed to leave the school (their biggest mistake) for days before a mail was sent to the parents without prior notification. Who does that!
You've said it all my sister.
Some people refuse to read and assimilate.
Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: EXPOSED: Shocking Exploitation Of Parents At Caleb British International School by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:22am On Jul 15, 2018
EbukaHades10:
Capital letter 1?!
Chai! shocked
You be the real I GO DYE O! cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: EXPOSED: Shocking Exploitation Of Parents At Caleb British International School by Teacher1776(m): 8:31am On Jul 15, 2018
CecyAdrian:

Why was it not done in this case? Something is not right
In that case, she should use the official channels provided by the school to lay her complaints.
Trying to run the school down here, is surely not the way to handle these issues. This is Nigeria. In one way or the other, somebody must chop.

1 Like

Re: EXPOSED: Shocking Exploitation Of Parents At Caleb British International School by CecyAdrian(f): 8:36am On Jul 15, 2018
UncleSnr:

The school took advantage of the situation. I remember when I was in the Seminary, the whole class was suspended for the action of a few students, the reason was that we were all accomplice to the crime (we are responsible for the actions of others).
Also, when my younger sister was in secondary school, if you are caught outside the school without a signed exeat card, you are to bring close to (if not more) 30blocks and 2 bags of cement.

Is it right then?

1 Like

Re: EXPOSED: Shocking Exploitation Of Parents At Caleb British International School by dingbang(m): 9:11am On Jul 15, 2018
PTA is the solution to this.
Re: EXPOSED: Shocking Exploitation Of Parents At Caleb British International School by Nobody: 9:47am On Jul 15, 2018
It's funny anyone should think Caleb qualifies as an international school.

Meanwhile...

Re: EXPOSED: Shocking Exploitation Of Parents At Caleb British International School by chicoMX(m): 10:17am On Jul 15, 2018
Big school , Big problem.

If to say you send your pikin go Agidingbi grammar school, this kind thing nor for arise
Re: EXPOSED: Shocking Exploitation Of Parents At Caleb British International School by CecyAdrian(f): 10:19am On Jul 15, 2018
EbukaHades10:

You are a clown cheesy grin cheesy
Re: EXPOSED: Shocking Exploitation Of Parents At Caleb British International School by Nobody: 11:32am On Jul 15, 2018
But there's usually caution fees added to the school fees incase of issues like this. If you have never damaged school property, you can lay claim to that money after graduation. Back in secondary school, 20k per term was the caution fee.

Also prom at Oriental? Really? Talk about misplaced priorities.
Re: EXPOSED: Shocking Exploitation Of Parents At Caleb British International School by CecyAdrian(f): 12:05pm On Jul 15, 2018
Earthbound:
But there's usually caution fees added to the school fees incase of issues like this. If you have never damaged school property, you can lay claim to that money after graduation. Back in secondary school, 20k per term was the caution fee.

Also prom at Oriental? Really? Talk about misplaced priorities.

Most Nigerians don't even know about that. I think the school just wanted to take advantage of the incident.

When you charge, N1.3 million for a work that can be done with 200k most, why won't you hold your prom at Oriental or even Sheraton cheesy dem use these one's as mugu
Re: EXPOSED: Shocking Exploitation Of Parents At Caleb British International School by ayaside(m): 12:38pm On Jul 15, 2018
Abeg...I went to Government schools all my life except SSS1 & SSS2 that i switched to Private.I still sabi small book and representing well...What you'll be,you'll be.Not every expensive thing is the best...Expensive shit na still shit.

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Fire Outbreak In UNIUYO Udi Hall Of Residence / Uniben Students Sign Here / IPPIS: FG Says Lecturers Enrolling, Despite ASUU’s Opposition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.