Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,306 members, 7,811,912 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:19 PM

Amodu Would Have Done Better Than Laggerback Against Argentina - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Amodu Would Have Done Better Than Laggerback Against Argentina (4690 Views)

Would Nigeria Had Done Better In This Match Under Shuaibu Amodu? / Nigeria Vs Argentina 2011 Friendly: 4 - 1 (Eagles Thump Argies) / Amodu Ruined My Dream - Kanu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Amodu Would Have Done Better Than Laggerback Against Argentina by 5p1naz(m): 3:15pm On Jun 16, 2010
medjai:

how is la-gay-back better than Amodu, no one's been able to answer. I saw Super Eagles worst performance ever on Saturday against Argentina where they had only one attempt at goal yet some people that will accept anything as far as it is from a white man are dancing and jubilating. A game where Lagerbacks game plan was to open the gates of our defence and resort to Enyeama's heroics. Some are even giving the time factor as an excuse. Was la-gay-back not aware of how much time we had before the world cup when he signed his contract? What did la-gay-back achieve with a Sweeden team that had Larsson, Ljunberg, Ibrahimovic and the likes? the farthest they went was the 2nd round of the world cup in 2002. very poor. For those that call that shambolic display against Argentina a good performance, check this link 
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report?id=264037&cc=3888&ver=global

n***a you are a groundnut sucked up in a camel's scrotum so u know not wat goeth on out there. . . who d phuck cares abt soccersh*t dot wateva. if egypt can trash us dat much n ghana trashed us without appiah, essien n shite with amodu as coach. . . ow much goals wuda gone in if he had coached us against tevez, milito, higiun, and messi. . . berra wash d coagulated sperms off your eyes. . .
groundnutpaste. . / tshew. . .
Re: Amodu Would Have Done Better Than Laggerback Against Argentina by Ranoscky(m): 3:24pm On Jun 16, 2010
@Medjai

U'r nothing but what u are.

for how long have u seen the GREEN WHITE GREEN jersey play a splendid football like they did on saturday? undecided
Re: Amodu Would Have Done Better Than Laggerback Against Argentina by supereagle(m): 3:42pm On Jun 16, 2010
Time will tell us if Largerback  is good.A good coach is known by the results he gets. Let wait and see what will happen to our Fifa ranking during the time of Largerback.He failed to lead his country to WC, by the time he left , they dropped in fifa ranking. Na Eyeanma save am, he for don go back now.

Profile:

Birthplace: Katrineholm, Sweden
Previous Clubs: Kilafors; Arbra IK; Hudiksvall ABK; Sweden Under-21; Sweden B; Sweden
Honours: None

After over almost two decades helping the Swedish national team, Lars Lagerback will return to the World Cup this summer having taken charge of Nigeria.

Following an undistinguished playing career, Lagerback began working with the Swedish FA in 1990, coaching at junior level, and progressed to coach the country's B team before becoming assistant to Sweden boss Tommy Soderberg in 1998.

He was joint coach with Soderberg when Sweden reached Euro 2000 and the 2002 World Cup before taking sole charge from 2004, leading the country to Euro 2004, the 2006 World Cup and Euro 2008.

However, he is a quiet, modest coach and there was little showmanship about his teams and, after a meek defeat to Russia during the group stages at Euro 2008 saw them fail to make the second round, he came under fire in his homeland and it was felt a more inspirational leader may have been better equipped to the lead the side.

He stayed on for the World Cup 2010 qualifiers but finished third, with Denmark taking top spot and Portugal progressing through the play-offs, and Lagerback's long association with his country's national side came to a disappointing end.

Having retained a good reputation in world football after arguably overachieving during the earlier part of his tenure, he was in demand once he became available. He ultimately ended up with Nigeria after he came out top in an interview process that also included Sven-Goran Eriksson, Glenn Hoddle, Bruno Metsu and Ratomir Dujkovic.

He faces a real challenge as time is short and expectations are high ahead of the World Cup, but it will be hoped that his quiet, considered approach can unite his new country and ensure the team can gel into a settled formation before the tournament gets underway.

Strengths: Lagerback earned a good reputation during his time in charge of Sweden, creating a well-drilled, hard-working team that was capable of securing results against sides with superior squads. It is understood that he was given the post after impressing the interview panel with his in-depth knowledge of Nigerian football, suggesting he is as well equipped to deal with the limited preparation time as could be hoped from a foreign candidate arriving a matter of months before the tournament.

Weaknesses: In 2007, Lagerback told the official FIFA website: "Certainly, I believe in continuity, and I think that national teams benefit from it every bit as much as clubs - if not more. After all, we don't work with our players every day like club coaches do, so it's vital to know those players inside-out, and it's only after some time you can achieve that." Although he has clearly done his research, Lagerback has very little time to get to know the players and he will struggle to experiment with tactics should his initial plans fail to succeed. The fact that his contract could well expire after the World Cup also does little to help promote a sense of stability about the side, plus in a country that expects a lot from its team, his conservative brand of football may fail to garner support.

Career high: Sweden were at their best under Lagerback during Euro 2004, when they thrashed Bulgaria 5-0 in their opening match before qualifying for the knockout stage at the expense of Italy, only exiting when they were beaten by Netherlands on penalties in the second round.

Career low: Having reached five successive tournaments in his time with Sweden, he will have been deeply disappointed at the failure to qualify for this year's World Cup, particularly as Scandinavian rivals Denmark topped the group.

Tactics: With Sweden, Lagerback favoured the 4-1-3-2 formation, with one defensive midfielder and three attacking midfielders, using the full backs to supply the width and he could well adopt a similar system in his new role. There is an issue with the lack of creative talent at present, but Lagerback made Sweden a very solid, hard-to-beat side and, given the constant changes and lack of discipline during Shaibu Amodu's recent spell, his approach should be of real benefit.

Quotes: "From what I have seen in Nigerian players, they have good individual skills and I know that the team needs to be organised - it needs to be disciplined - but, for me as a coach, I think the individual skills can do really well in the World Cup."

Trivia: Lagerback is often called 'Lasse', a common nickname for Swedes named Lars.

WC prediction: Lagerback has been set a target of reaching the semi-finals, but he is experienced enough to know that is very ambitious indeed. In a group with Argentina, Greece and South Korea, they have every chance of making it to the second round, but they will have to adapt to their new coach's methods quickly if they are to make any impression on the tournament.
Re: Amodu Would Have Done Better Than Laggerback Against Argentina by denitro(m): 4:24pm On Jun 16, 2010
zagazow:

i asked a simple question and no one has been able to answer or is it because the answer is not favourable? PLS CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT LAGERBACK HAS ACHIEVED AS A COACH? if you don't know go to wikipedia and you'll find that he has achieved nothing. absolutely nothing. so pls don't ever compare him with someone who has won the Challenge Cup, League title, Cup Winners Cup, and is the only coach in Nigerian football history to qualify the super eagles for two world cups.

The same man who you said has achieved nothing, beat your Super Eagles and your coach Onigbinde, prevented the Argentine from pasting the group stage, has coached Sweden, played in the Euro cup etc, And when did Amodu win those trophies, (1980s), God, Some Nigerians are really allergic to progress, I enjoyed the Super Eagles match with Argentina - Those it was tension filled, But this is the 1st time I have been proud of our Super Eagles, with each match they will improve,
COMPARED TO AMODU'S ERA IN THE NATION'S CUP,
Super Eagles has no purpose, direction and lacked motivation, No wonder they lost to the Ghana U-21, and couldn't beat Zambia, USELESS COACH,
WATCH THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE MATCH BTW ARSENAL AND BARCELONA, AND YOU WILL KNOW THAT LAGERBACK DID HIS HOMEWORK ON MESSI AND THE ARGENTINE,
Re: Amodu Would Have Done Better Than Laggerback Against Argentina by supereagle(m): 4:33pm On Jun 16, 2010
He has not won any major tournament, also, his team is always bundled out in 2nd in Euro cups go and check Denitro
Re: Amodu Would Have Done Better Than Laggerback Against Argentina by 5p1naz(m): 5:09pm On Jun 16, 2010
ok ok alrite supereagles phuck wateva shite we'v been arguing abt and answer dis one questn. . . d supereagles game against EGYPT, zambia, benin and ghana all put together and the match against ARGENTINA, which was berra,
Re: Amodu Would Have Done Better Than Laggerback Against Argentina by SCYLLA: 5:41pm On Jun 16, 2010
medjai:

how is la-gay-back better than Amodu, no one's been able to answer. I saw Super Eagles worst performance ever on Saturday against Argentina where they had only one attempt at goal yet some people that will accept anything as far as it is from a white man are dancing and jubilating. A game where Lagerbacks game plan was to open the gates of our defence and resort to Enyeama's heroics. Some are even giving the time factor as an excuse. Was la-gay-back not aware of how much time we had before the world cup when he signed his contract? What did la-gay-back achieve with a Sweeden team that had Larsson, Ljunberg, Ibrahimovic and the likes? the farthest they went was the 2nd round of the world cup in 2002. very poor. For those that call that shambolic display against Argentina a good performance, check this link
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report?id=264037&cc=3888&ver=global
You mean we did better against benin? Zambia? Ghana? seriously
Re: Amodu Would Have Done Better Than Laggerback Against Argentina by kobikwelu(m): 11:08pm On Jun 16, 2010
@topic,

is this thread still on

abegiiiiii

mcshewwwwww
Re: Amodu Would Have Done Better Than Laggerback Against Argentina by Ranoscky(m): 7:51am On Jun 17, 2010
@5p 1naz

U'v said it all, i'm also waiting for an answer to that question b4 i make any comment on this topic again.
Re: Amodu Would Have Done Better Than Laggerback Against Argentina by medjai(m): 5:39pm On Jun 17, 2010
Ranoscky:

@5p 1naz

U'v said it all, i'm also waiting for an answer to that question b4 i make any comment on this topic again.
Nigeria 1 Greece 2. i guess that answers your question
Re: Amodu Would Have Done Better Than Laggerback Against Argentina by supereagle(m): 11:27pm On Jul 19, 2010
supereagle:

Time will tell us if Largerback  is good.A good coach is known by the results he gets. Let wait and see what will happen to our Fifa ranking during the time of Largerback.He failed to lead his country to WC, by the time he left , they dropped in fifa ranking. Na Eyeanma save am, he for don go back now.

Profile:

Birthplace: Katrineholm, Sweden
Previous Clubs: Kilafors; Arbra IK; Hudiksvall ABK; Sweden Under-21; Sweden B; Sweden
Honours: None

After over almost two decades helping the Swedish national team, Lars Lagerback will return to the World Cup this summer having taken charge of Nigeria.

Following an undistinguished playing career, Lagerback began working with the Swedish FA in 1990, coaching at junior level, and progressed to coach the country's B team before becoming assistant to Sweden boss Tommy Soderberg in 1998.

He was joint coach with Soderberg when Sweden reached Euro 2000 and the 2002 World Cup before taking sole charge from 2004, leading the country to Euro 2004, the 2006 World Cup and Euro 2008.

However, he is a quiet, modest coach and there was little showmanship about his teams and, after a meek defeat to Russia during the group stages at Euro 2008 saw them fail to make the second round, he came under fire in his homeland and it was felt a more inspirational leader may have been better equipped to the lead the side.

He stayed on for the World Cup 2010 qualifiers but finished third, with Denmark taking top spot and Portugal progressing through the play-offs, and Lagerback's long association with his country's national side came to a disappointing end.

Having retained a good reputation in world football after arguably overachieving during the earlier part of his tenure, he was in demand once he became available. He ultimately ended up with Nigeria after he came out top in an interview process that also included Sven-Goran Eriksson, Glenn Hoddle, Bruno Metsu and Ratomir Dujkovic.

He faces a real challenge as time is short and expectations are high ahead of the World Cup, but it will be hoped that his quiet, considered approach can unite his new country and ensure the team can gel into a settled formation before the tournament gets underway.

Strengths: Lagerback earned a good reputation during his time in charge of Sweden, creating a well-drilled, hard-working team that was capable of securing results against sides with superior squads. It is understood that he was given the post after impressing the interview panel with his in-depth knowledge of Nigerian football, suggesting he is as well equipped to deal with the limited preparation time as could be hoped from a foreign candidate arriving a matter of months before the tournament.

Weaknesses: In 2007, Lagerback told the official FIFA website: "Certainly, I believe in continuity, and I think that national teams benefit from it every bit as much as clubs - if not more. After all, we don't work with our players every day like club coaches do, so it's vital to know those players inside-out, and it's only after some time you can achieve that." Although he has clearly done his research, Lagerback has very little time to get to know the players and he will struggle to experiment with tactics should his initial plans fail to succeed. The fact that his contract could well expire after the World Cup also does little to help promote a sense of stability about the side, plus in a country that expects a lot from its team, his conservative brand of football may fail to garner support.

Career high: Sweden were at their best under Lagerback during Euro 2004, when they thrashed Bulgaria 5-0 in their opening match before qualifying for the knockout stage at the expense of Italy, only exiting when they were beaten by Netherlands on penalties in the second round.

Career low: Having reached five successive tournaments in his time with Sweden, he will have been deeply disappointed at the failure to qualify for this year's World Cup, particularly as Scandinavian rivals Denmark topped the group.

Tactics: With Sweden, Lagerback favoured the 4-1-3-2 formation, with one defensive midfielder and three attacking midfielders, using the full backs to supply the width and he could well adopt a similar system in his new role. There is an issue with the lack of creative talent at present, but Lagerback made Sweden a very solid, hard-to-beat side and, given the constant changes and lack of discipline during Shaibu Amodu's recent spell, his approach should be of real benefit.

Quotes: "From what I have seen in Nigerian players, they have good individual skills and I know that the team needs to be organised - it needs to be disciplined - but, for me as a coach, I think the individual skills can do really well in the World Cup."

Trivia: Lagerback is often called 'Lasse', a common nickname for Swedes named Lars.

WC prediction: Lagerback has been set a target of reaching the semi-finals, but he is experienced enough to know that is very ambitious indeed. In a group with Argentina, Greece and South Korea, they have every chance of making it to the second round, but they will have to adapt to their new coach's methods quickly if they are to make any impression on the tournament.

Time must have told us now.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ahmed Musa And Ali Nuhu / How To Join Barcelona’s Football Academy(fcbescola) In Lagos / Do You Believe Juju Exists in Football?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.