Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,839 members, 7,820,924 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:22 AM

African Ladies Abroad Carrying Babies On Their Back!(Dirty Clothes) - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / African Ladies Abroad Carrying Babies On Their Back!(Dirty Clothes) (27342 Views)

Anambra State Witness Influx Of Babies On Jan 1st / Beautiful Black Babies! / Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Ladies Abroad Carrying Babies On Their Back!(Dirty Clothes) by kabukabu(m): 4:34am On Jul 05, 2010
The trolls are out in full force again,the proper albiet safer way to do it is in the front,prevents back strain.African women "back" their kids because they have so much going on in the front like washing,cooking,selling.I have never seen an American woman(black or white) carry in the back,if at all they use the front baby carrier, funny though that everyone showed pics of "white" women,when there are many different ethnic groups that live in western countries, grin grin grin.My people have a long way to go to lift the burden of " white envy" from their shoulders.
Re: African Ladies Abroad Carrying Babies On Their Back!(Dirty Clothes) by spikedcylinder: 4:34am On Jul 05, 2010
This OP sef get problem.
First his issue was the 'monkey culture' of carrying babies on backs. When he saw oyibo do it as well, his issue became 'dirty cloth' used in carrying babies. When they show your picture of dirty oyibo with dirty cloth, what will be your next problem? Kraw Kraw on the backs of 'dirty' Africans?  cheesy
Re: African Ladies Abroad Carrying Babies On Their Back!(Dirty Clothes) by Acidosis(m): 4:38am On Jul 05, 2010
There is nothing wrong in doing what you think is comfortable regardless of what people say, but it's also good to 'blend' with the acts of this century.
Carrying a baby on the back is good, nice and beautiful but it become disgusting and irritating when an old/dirty wrapper is been used.
Re: African Ladies Abroad Carrying Babies On Their Back!(Dirty Clothes) by bidemi12(m): 4:51am On Jul 05, 2010
Like everything in Africa and especialy in Nigeria, it takes a while for us to catch up with the rest of civilization. Poverty is a determining factor in whatever drives us as a people. take for instance there was a topic about spouse/girlfriends washing their boyfriend/husbands clothes. ordinarily this should be a non issue because to nigerians it is "washing clothes" while to others it is simply doing "laundry" which is a strss free and sometimes fun activity. How can you do laundry when there is no electricity to do it with? or where is the money to buy the washing machine in the first place. Same thing is happening again here. there is absolutely nothing wrong in "backing" a child, my mom did it to me and my wife did it to my son. But after moving here you tend to see the wisdom in doing things in a safe, comfortable and practical way. why would my wife "back" my son when she can place him in a stroller, strap him in safely and go on a nice stroll. Like i said initially, poverty in a determining factor in the way we operate in Nigeria. Why would you even consider a stroller in Nigeria in the first place? where are the footpaths/sidewalks to take the stroller through? Our mentality is strange. Our society is strange. And our ways of doing things is strange. Also all those white females placing their children on their backs is just for fashion. i am yet to see it en masse here. them no get time for that one here.
Re: African Ladies Abroad Carrying Babies On Their Back!(Dirty Clothes) by kabukabu(m): 4:54am On Jul 05, 2010
bidemi12:

Like everything in Africa and especialy in Nigeria, it takes a while for us to catch up with the rest of civilization. Poverty is a determining factor in whatever drives us as a people. take for instance there was a topic about spouse/girlfriends washing their boyfriend/husbands clothes. ordinarily this should be a non issue because to nigerians it is "washing clothes" while to others it is simply doing "laundry" which is a strss free and sometimes fun activity. How can you do laundry when there is no electricity to do it with? or where is the money to buy the washing machine in the first place. Same thing is happening again here. there is absolutely nothing wrong in "backing" a child, my mom did it to me and my wife did it to my son. But after moving here you tend to see the wisdom in doing things in a safe, comfortable and practical way. why would my wife "back" my son when she can place him in a stroller, strap him in safely and go on a nice stroll. Like i said initially, poverty in a determining factor in the way we operate in Nigeria. Why would you even consider a stroller in Nigeria in the first place? where are the footpaths/sidewalks to take the stroller through? Our mentality is strange. Our society is strange. And our ways of doing things is strange. Also all those white females placing their children on their backs is just for fashion. i am yet to see it en masse here. them no get time for that one here.

Well said,brother.completely agree
Re: African Ladies Abroad Carrying Babies On Their Back!(Dirty Clothes) by Outstrip(f): 4:57am On Jul 05, 2010
I am so irritated I want to growl. So ignorant. I wish someone would come and tell me that carrying my child on my back makes them feel this or that. I will seriously give them a feeling
Re: African Ladies Abroad Carrying Babies On Their Back!(Dirty Clothes) by Pafuri(m): 5:03am On Jul 05, 2010
:oQuite interesting. May I ask this guy where this country called 'Abroad' is located since his title includes 'in abroad'. Dude, have you ever lived in 'Abroad'? Or, maybe you've been there but have been walking around eyes closed. Quite a number of women in 'Abroad' now carry their little children in baby slings. This is a culture they have gladly copied from Africans and Asians because it is practical, and good for the mother-baby bonding aspect of child psychology. All the women of 'Abroad' have done is to adapt the practice to suit their peculiar situations. I am proud to thank my mother, your mother (even if the liar that you are would like to petend that your 'mummy' pushed you around in a pram at a time when most African mothers did not know what that was), and all African mothers for this modest contribution to the culture of the country called 'Abroad'. Damn, this is perhaps too heavy for your half-baked intellect. embarassed
Re: African Ladies Abroad Carrying Babies On Their Back!(Dirty Clothes) by Builder: 5:09am On Jul 05, 2010
lol, this is proper concentrated colonial mentality, why cant we black people for once be happy with our ways of doing things, according to a poster, he said the reason we back our kids is cos of poverty, i swear some black people should be shot dead by even thinking of that notion, must we always copy whatever the white man does?

So backing ur kid is not safe nor practical enough, u just have to put the lil kid in a stroller in other to belong to the white mans category, like a putting cement ina wheelburrow.

i really dont understand why some foolish people have to eat the white man's shiiiit in other to be civilised
Re: African Ladies Abroad Carrying Babies On Their Back!(Dirty Clothes) by bidemi12(m): 5:16am On Jul 05, 2010
Builder:

lol, this is proper concentrated colonial mentality, why cant we black people for once be happy with our ways of doing things, according to a poster, he said the reason we back our kids is cos of poverty, i swear some black people should be shot dead by even thinking of that notion, must we always copy whatever the white man does?

So backing your kid is not safe nor practical enough, u just have to put the lil kid in a stroller in other to belong to the white mans category, like a putting cement ina wheelburrow.

i really dont understand why some foolish people have to eat the white man's shiiiit in other to be civilised

I tell a lot of my American friends that i am better than them and much much luckier. they ask me why and i tell them that i have seen both sides of two worlds with which to make comparisms first hand. Until you do you can only grope in the dark and make comments and decisions in ignorance.
Re: African Ladies Abroad Carrying Babies On Their Back!(Dirty Clothes) by bidemi12(m): 5:27am On Jul 05, 2010
[
Builder:

So backing your kid is not safe nor practical enough, u just have to put the lil kid in a stroller in other to belong to the white mans category, like a putting cement ina wheelburrow.

Come to think of it, shirt and trousers are the inventions of the white man. why not discard that and go back to tieing wrapper about to work since you look down on practicality? you've already eaten the white man's shiiit by puting it on.
Re: African Ladies Abroad Carrying Babies On Their Back!(Dirty Clothes) by sulad82i(m): 5:27am On Jul 05, 2010
another stoopid thread of nl from some crazy hass person
Re: African Ladies Abroad Carrying Babies On Their Back!(Dirty Clothes) by Nobody: 5:32am On Jul 05, 2010
bidemi12:

[
Come to think of it, shirt and trousers are the inventions of the white man. why not discard that and go back to tieing wrapper about to work since you look down on practicality?
Why dont you ppl learn?

Adopting new modern inventions does not necessarily mean discarding the old one or seeing the old one as savage.

What is wrong with backing babies? Does it have any side effects?

Why do we back babies?:

1. It's comfy for the mother to back a baby so she can do her chores.

2. Her baby is with her at all times, less thing to worry about

3. Makes the baby sleep faster

4. Baby stops crying when it has a flesh-to flesh contact with its mother.

If you guys cant come up with a reasonable excuse for us to stop backing babies other than "it's not fashionable", then plz just shut up.
Re: African Ladies Abroad Carrying Babies On Their Back!(Dirty Clothes) by bidemi12(m): 5:35am On Jul 05, 2010
i never said backing babies was wrong. It all depends on the society you live in. If i was in Nigeria nothing would make me us a stroller. which footpath would i take with all the bad roads and dusty environment. it will do more harm than good. but here is a different story.
Re: African Ladies Abroad Carrying Babies On Their Back!(Dirty Clothes) by ezeagu(m): 5:36am On Jul 05, 2010
kabukabu:

The trolls are out in full force again,the proper albiet safer way to do it is in the front,prevents back strain.

Never heard of that before. These carrier designs must be banned by now then. . . .

[img]http://terratots.files./2009/03/shopping-ergo.jpg[/img]

kabukabu:

The trolls are out in full force again,the proper albiet safer way to do it is in the front,prevents back strain.African women "back" their kids because they have so much going on in the front like washing,cooking,selling.I have never seen an American woman(black or white) carry in the back,if at all they use the front baby carrier, funny though that everyone showed pics of "white" women,when there are many different ethnic groups that live in western countries,  grin grin grin.My people have a long way to go to lift the burden of " white envy" from their shoulders.

The images were to legitimise the culture for you all, you know, show the white people Nigerians "envy" "civilising" the carrier.

bidemi12:

I tell a lot of my American friends that i am better than them and much much luckier. they ask me why and i tell them that i have seen both sides of two worlds with which to make comparisms first hand. Until you do you can only grope in the dark and make comments and decisions in ignorance.

You're not the only one who has lived in both cultures on Nairaland.

bidemi12:

[
Come to think of it, shirt and trousers are the inventions of the white man. why not discard that and go back to tieing wrapper about to work since you look down on practicality? you've already eaten the white man's shiiit by puting it on.

How does introducing an invention (which was in 'Nigeria' before the "white man"wink compare to completely subtracting an element of culture that the culture you're trying to imitate is picking up?
Re: African Ladies Abroad Carrying Babies On Their Back!(Dirty Clothes) by Nobody: 5:38am On Jul 05, 2010
bidemi12:

i never said backing babies was wrong. It all depends on the society you live in. If i was in Nigeria nothing would make me us a stroller. which footpath would i take with all the bad roads and dusty environment. it will do more harm than good. but here is a different story.
I get what you're saying.

HOWEVERRRRRRRRRRR. . . .When westerners come into our country, they dont back their babies. They dont adopt our culture. They try as much as possible to "FEEL AT HOME".

"Feel at Home" which is what Nigerian mothers are trying to accomplish by backing babies.

So. . . .

Omo, I go back my baby to Wal-Mart or the mall sef. . . . whoever its killing better die faster and lemme walker over their corpse.

1 Like

Re: African Ladies Abroad Carrying Babies On Their Back!(Dirty Clothes) by bidemi12(m): 5:43am On Jul 05, 2010
@Ezeagu, of course i am not the first, only or last nigerian who has seen both cultures but i am in a position to compare and comment on both cultures. I would like to see someone who has seen both cultures come here and tell me that it is better to "back" a child here. In Nigeria no problem. Anybody who does is only playing to the gallery.
Re: African Ladies Abroad Carrying Babies On Their Back!(Dirty Clothes) by Outstrip(f): 5:48am On Jul 05, 2010
Bidemi it is not necessarily better to carry your child on your back but it is not necessarily better to not carry them either. One is not better than the other. There are safe ways to carry your child on your back. I was never comfortable with the wrapper thing but I have carried my children on my back here in the US
Re: African Ladies Abroad Carrying Babies On Their Back!(Dirty Clothes) by CarlosVent(m): 6:03am On Jul 05, 2010
wetin concern una
Re: African Ladies Abroad Carrying Babies On Their Back!(Dirty Clothes) by Builder: 6:05am On Jul 05, 2010
For some reason Bidemi still thinks the white man's culture is berra than the africans. i understand your point of argument that, cos u are abroad you do as they do, as the Rome adage goes. but when ur so-called white folks are in nigeria, do they do as u people do?

because im in their country dosent mean i shouldnt  practice my culture, the problem with africans is that we always believe our culture somehow is backward and shameful to carry out in public cos its deem too "bushy" or too local, as for me i carry my kid on my back in public, if dem no like am make dem deport me, e no go betta for all of dem
Re: African Ladies Abroad Carrying Babies On Their Back!(Dirty Clothes) by Outstrip(f): 6:13am On Jul 05, 2010
ezeagu I just saw your pictures. There is no way a child will fall out of that
Re: African Ladies Abroad Carrying Babies On Their Back!(Dirty Clothes) by bidemi12(m): 6:13am On Jul 05, 2010
Outstrip:

Bidemi it is not necessarily better to carry your child on your back but it is not necessarily better to not carry them either. One is not better than the other. There are safe ways to carry your child on your back. I was never comfortable with the wrapper thing but I have carried my children on my back here in the US

what makes you think my wife has not done it here. i am talking about day to day activities like boarding a train or bus and never using a stroller. you live here. is it practical?  be honest and dont play to the gallery. you all are missing my point. every decision is based on society, economic situations, weather and norms.
Re: African Ladies Abroad Carrying Babies On Their Back!(Dirty Clothes) by cvibe: 6:50am On Jul 05, 2010
@ Poster,

You really didn't have anything to say , did you?
Re: African Ladies Abroad Carrying Babies On Their Back!(Dirty Clothes) by member479760: 6:57am On Jul 05, 2010
This is a big lesson to anyone that prior to voicing out one need to think and do research on the subject. sorry poster!!! u fall put 4 their hand, u failed dis one, dont take it serious just dont ans again.
Re: African Ladies Abroad Carrying Babies On Their Back!(Dirty Clothes) by Jerjens: 7:00am On Jul 05, 2010
i was driving in my neighbourhood recently n i saw a child on a Leash now dats degrading

i have met men who back their child wit oorja (yoruba for baby harness) its wonderful
@poster u r plain silly[img]http://[/img]

where do u tink civilization started, AFRICA , dumbo! cool cool[img][/img]

Re: African Ladies Abroad Carrying Babies On Their Back!(Dirty Clothes) by legba1(m): 7:48am On Jul 05, 2010
@poster,even thou i dont know your presenty location i will still liken you to the people our fathers called "Adeko de re". strapping of babies on the back is an age long practice in our part of the world and so had overtime become our a culture. My grand mum once told me that the practice fascilitate good bonding between mother and child and she rightly sited the whites as example. daycare and nannies act mother while here you're with mummy right on her back at home and market et al.nad considering those pictures i've seen here, that shows it is not primitive practice like u claim.so bro upgrade ur self.
Re: African Ladies Abroad Carrying Babies On Their Back!(Dirty Clothes) by Nobody: 7:52am On Jul 05, 2010
After all said and done, people will do what pleases them.

I have no issues with myself, or my wife carrying our baby on our backs, it's cool! I've see the whites look on in envy at African women out and about, with their backed babies. They even ask questions, and want to know how it's done, how to tie the cloth securely.

I feel proud to see Nigeria women, who do not pander to Western influences, just because they're living in the UK or US. Why should they adapt to the Western way? How many Expatriates in Nigeria adapt to African culture, despite having lived and worked in Nigeria for many years?

The OP is simply a brain-washed individual, with a very myopic view on what's acceptable, right or indeed practical.
Re: African Ladies Abroad Carrying Babies On Their Back!(Dirty Clothes) by Nobody: 8:17am On Jul 05, 2010
na wao
Re: African Ladies Abroad Carrying Babies On Their Back!(Dirty Clothes) by semid4lyfe(m): 8:41am On Jul 05, 2010
^^ A little digression. . .
Lol. . .this topic brings back some memories. Make I yarn una the story. . grin

My mum said when I was a baby, she backed me and worked in the kitchen a lot. On this particular day, I was very quiet so she thought I had slept off. She was standing close to a shelf that had these glass tumblers and breakable ceramics on it. All of a sudden I stretched out my hand and pulled one of the trays and all the glass tumblers and ceramics crashed to the ground and broke into pieces. . .and guess what, it was her most expensive set. She immediately unbacked me and gave me the spanking of my life. . .the cry wey I cry that day nor get part 2 (according to her o).

Years later when she told me the story, my comment was 'mummy, u wicked o. . .as I small reach, na so u beat me like that?' She laughed and said 'you gats give a child a sense of right and wrong from a very early age'. . .she even added that of all her kids, I broke & spoilt the most things and that I exhibited my stubborn streak from a very early age. grin grin
Re: African Ladies Abroad Carrying Babies On Their Back!(Dirty Clothes) by reindeer: 8:45am On Jul 05, 2010
Who gave this OP a visa to europe sef?
Now he wants to be more white than his white folks
and he cant even speak/write good english
Na wah o!
So now his african culture is ''monkeyish''
The guy sure has some serious inferiority complex to the white skin.
Re: African Ladies Abroad Carrying Babies On Their Back!(Dirty Clothes) by pek(m): 8:54am On Jul 05, 2010
i guess the poster doesnt know what culture means.or, he is trying to be more white than the white.
Re: African Ladies Abroad Carrying Babies On Their Back!(Dirty Clothes) by oluagness(m): 8:56am On Jul 05, 2010
The poster should find another way of innovation rather than changing our culture.
Re: African Ladies Abroad Carrying Babies On Their Back!(Dirty Clothes) by Redman44(m): 9:03am On Jul 05, 2010
There is nothing wrong in Africans carrying their babies on their backs abroad as long as Health and Safety rules are followed. We have to stop denigrating our culture and traditions wherever we find ourselves on this planet. Our self loathing is what has stopped us from competing with the Asians in Britain, Canada and the United States. The Bangladeshi and Indian communities in Britain have certain traditions and ways of doing things that they flaunt in the public. They don't care if anyone thinks their mode of dressing is primitive. Besides, I've observed that white people are gradually becoming more open to other cultures. They have started looking into our clothing materials, beads, pottery etc in a bid to make them more popular in the Western world. How about Suzanne Wenger [ Adunni Olorisa ] who came down to Nigeria and became the priestess of the Osun Grove? She spent all her adult life taking care of a deity that was not hers because she saw that the yoruba culture is unique. And why are there no African Festivals that are celebrated in a big way in Britain? Food for thought cry cry

www.vibes-extra..com

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Calabar Carnival No Longer About Promoting Our Culture / Olubadan-In-Council Declares Eze Ndigbo Illegal / Would You Marry An Osu?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.