Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,157 members, 7,825,616 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 06:51 PM

Nigerian Man Battles Italian Authorities Over His 2 Surviving Children - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Man Battles Italian Authorities Over His 2 Surviving Children (30866 Views)

Nigerian Man Battles Australian Immigration Over Seized Foods & Custard (video) / Obituary Of Man & His 2 Children Who Died In Auto Crash On Keffi-Abuja Road / Italian Authorities Deport 11 Nigerian Eiye Gang Members After Arrest. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Man Battles Italian Authorities Over His 2 Surviving Children by OrientDailyNews: 10:25am On Jul 20, 2018
By Phil Okose, Onitsha
Ikechukwu Ndigwe, a Moroc­co-based Nigerian business­man desperately seeking for help to recover what is left of his once-thriving family and rebuild his shattered life, is now seriously considering legal show­down with the Italian authorities over the custody of his surviving two children.

Orient Weekend reports that Mr. Ndigwe, a native of Nnuk­wu village in Adazinnukwu in Anaocha local government area of Anambra state, lost his wife, Joy, and first son, Gozie Samu­el, during a dangerous voyage across the Mediterranean Sea on September 5, 2016 from Morocco to Italy. Nearly two years after the tragic incident, he is still battling hard to recover his two surviving children – Tochukwu Mathew and Ebubechukwu David – who were lucky to survive the tragic voyage and had remained in the custody of an Italian – Ms. Malandrino Maria Paula, in Siracusa, a town 30km from Catania in Italy.

According to the embattled father of three, who was incarcer­ated in Moroccan prison when the tragedy befell his family, efforts to secure Italian visa for a trip to Italy to reunite with the remain­der of his family, in the form of the two survivor children, has been fraught with frustrating legal quagmires.
Ikechukwu told newsmen in Onitsha that the rejection of his visa application and request to repatriate his kids was flimsy, baseless and without substance, in­sisting that he should be allowed to “enter Italy and see my children.”

He said that he met his late wife, a Nigerian from Benin City in Edo state, in Morocco, married her and that the marriage yielded three children. According to him, all was going well for the family until he was jailed by Moroccan authorities late July 2014. He told newsmen that his late wife and children used to visit him in pris­on until they joined other desper­ate migrants trying to cross the Mediterranean Sea into Europe.

“I remember there was a time she told me that she would be relocating to Italy. I objected to the idea, telling her to either stay back in Morocco with my children or go back to Nigeria pending when I would finish my prison term. By then, it was just six months for me to come out.

“However, for some time, I did not hear from her again and I suspected that something may have happened until the news came that she, with the kids, was heading to Italy through the Med­iterranean Sea when their boat developed problem and capsized off the Libyan coast. The corpse of my wife was found but that of my first son was not. Her corpse, till this day, remains in the custody of the Italian government.

According to him, all his efforts to recover his lost kids had been frustrated by legal encumbrances. Hear him: “When this incident happened, I told my elder sister, Mrs Obiageli Ebilite to get my lawyer, Barrister A. M. Egbesons based in Onitsha, to write the Nigerian embassy in Italy, Italian government and Italian embassy in Lagos. He was to remind them that the surviving kids still had their biological father alive and that they should hand the kids over to them as closest relations.

“The Italian tribunal that entertains minor cases which was presided over by Dottoressa Pricoco Francisco, in Catania, kept my two kids in the Home Department, in the care of a guardian, Mrs Malandrino Maria Paula. The tribunal order was that the kids be handed over to their relations on the ground that they will show proof that they are financially buoyant to take care of them which the couple did but the Italian embassy in Lagos failed to grant my request for entry permit into Italy.
“When I came out of prison I continued from where my sister stopped, demanding to be issued with an Italian visa to go and reunite with my children and arrange to bring them back to Nigeria. That condition of being financially buoyant will not be extended to me as the biological father even if I am assumed to be (financially) unfit. Consequently, we wrote the Italian government, appealing for reversal of the refusal by its embassy in Lagos to issue me visa to travel to Italy to see my kids and start the healing of the psychological and emotional trauma under which the children have been since 2016.

Ndigwe decried the controver­sial decision of the Italian author­ities to deny his visa application and request to recover his chil­dren. “It is quite baffling. What other better reasons could one proffer for the grant of application of this sort?” he queried.
“I want to place it on record that those children have econom­ically buoyant relations who are pressurising me, as the children’s father, to go and make arrange­ments for their return to Nige­ria, their country, their root and their home,” he stressed, adding that “any flimsy reason to deny those children the opportunity to reunite with their father is inhu­man, condemnable and must be vehemently opposed”.

https://orientdailynews.com.ng/cover-story/deadly-europe-tripman-battles-italian/

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Man Battles Italian Authorities Over His 2 Surviving Children by MrBrownJay1(m): 10:48am On Jul 20, 2018
OrientDailyNews:
I remember there was a time she told me that she would be relocating to Italy. I objected to the idea, telling her to either stay back in Morocco with my children or go back to Nigeria pending when I would finish my prison term. By then, it was just six months for me to come out.

PRISON KINI?!?!?

[img]https://media1./images/b0342237f2ff1f3a385ee76f90141221/tenor.gif[/img]

29 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Nigerian Man Battles Italian Authorities Over His 2 Surviving Children by vondi: 11:02am On Jul 20, 2018
hmm, na wa
Re: Nigerian Man Battles Italian Authorities Over His 2 Surviving Children by tayo4ng(m): 12:17pm On Jul 20, 2018
Hmmmm
Re: Nigerian Man Battles Italian Authorities Over His 2 Surviving Children by johnime: 12:17pm On Jul 20, 2018
Do not follow the ideas of others, but learn to listen to the voice within yourself. Your body and mind will become clear and you will realize the unity of all things. Just remember that without love you will never experience the feelings that make life worth living for.
There are two kinds of forgiveness. The kind when you forgive and you give them another chance or the kind you forgive but you move on without them. Use them both wisely.

I will do my best. That is all I can do. I ask for your help - and God's.

Whatever we plant in our subconscious mind and nourish with repetition and emotion will one day become a reality.
Come out of the masses. Stand alone like a lion and live your life according to your own light. I've found that luck is quite predictable. If you want more luck, take more chances. Be more active. Show up more often.

We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths. The struggle you're in today is developing the strength you need for tomorrow.

Sometimes the second time is better than the first time. Forget about the past and jump into your new future today! A lot of times people look at the negative side of what they feel they can't do. I always look on the positive side of what I can do.

She,
In the dark,
Found light
brighter than many ever see.

She,
Within herself,
Found loveliness,
Through the soul’s own mastery.

And now the world receives
From her dower:
The message of the strength
Of inner power.

It is often while travelling through the dark that you find the ones who shine brightest in your life. For they are the ones who remind you of your own beautiful light and show up, without a second thought, in your pain, as well as your glory. It's like the people who believe they'll be happy if they go and live somewhere else, but who learn it doesn't work that way. Wherever you go, you take yourself with you. If you see what I mean.

You see, in life, lots of people know what to do, but few people actually do what they know. Knowing is not enough! You must take action.

Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.

20 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigerian Man Battles Italian Authorities Over His 2 Surviving Children by tobtap: 12:17pm On Jul 20, 2018
SAD...i hope he is re-united with his kids

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Man Battles Italian Authorities Over His 2 Surviving Children by alphaconde(m): 12:18pm On Jul 20, 2018
i would have helped but i wish to know how u got into the prison in the first instance.

thanks

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Man Battles Italian Authorities Over His 2 Surviving Children by Akeos(m): 12:19pm On Jul 20, 2018
street fighter
Re: Nigerian Man Battles Italian Authorities Over His 2 Surviving Children by Mikeross62: 12:19pm On Jul 20, 2018
anythinng for my kids is worth it.
Re: Nigerian Man Battles Italian Authorities Over His 2 Surviving Children by tunjijones(m): 12:19pm On Jul 20, 2018
Why wld a sane parent want to take children to Europe via the Mediterranean sea illegally..

I pray he gets the children though but I doubt it.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Man Battles Italian Authorities Over His 2 Surviving Children by Angy55(f): 12:20pm On Jul 20, 2018
His late wife was a desperado. See what impatience has caused, six months to his release she couldn't just wait.

I pray they grant his request. And for the kids, growing up without their biological parents, I can imagine what they are going through.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Man Battles Italian Authorities Over His 2 Surviving Children by Nobody: 12:22pm On Jul 20, 2018
johnime:
Do not follow the ideas of others, but learn to listen to the voice within yourself. Your body and mind will become clear and you will realize the unity of all things. Just remember that without love you will never experience the feelings that make life worth living for.
There are two kinds of forgiveness. The kind when you forgive and you give them another chance or the kind you forgive but you move on without them. Use them both wisely.

I will do my best. That is all I can do. I ask for your help - and God's.

Whatever we plant in our subconscious mind and nourish with repetition and emotion will one day become a reality.
Come out of the masses. Stand alone like a lion and live your life according to your own light. I've found that luck is quite predictable. If you want more luck, take more chances. Be more active. Show up more often.

We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths. The struggle you're in today is developing the strength you need for tomorrow.

Sometimes the second time is better than the first time. Forget about the past and jump into your new future today! A lot of times people look at the negative side of what they feel they can't do. I always look on the positive side of what I can do.

She,
In the dark,
Found light
brighter than many ever see.

She,
Within herself,
Found loveliness,
Through the soul’s own mastery.

And now the world receives
From her dower:
The message of the strength
Of inner power.

It is often while travelling through the dark that you find the ones who shine brightest in your life. For they are the ones who remind you of your own beautiful light and show up, without a second thought, in your pain, as well as your glory. It's like the people who believe they'll be happy if they go and live somewhere else, but who learn it doesn't work that way. Wherever you go, you take yourself with you. If you see what I mean.

You see, in life, lots of people know what to do, but few people actually do what they know. Knowing is not enough! You must take action.

Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.

Beautiful piece from a beautiful spirit

Well done

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Man Battles Italian Authorities Over His 2 Surviving Children by LexngtonSteele: 12:22pm On Jul 20, 2018

BUSINESSMAN = synonym for CRIMINAL for dem dem

His scientific nomenclature indicates he is in his right habitat.

To the olodos : His name shows he is in his right house.

To the olodos of olodos : him name bin show say na jail he suppose dey

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Man Battles Italian Authorities Over His 2 Surviving Children by miqos02(m): 12:22pm On Jul 20, 2018
Wow
Re: Nigerian Man Battles Italian Authorities Over His 2 Surviving Children by Lexusgs430: 12:22pm On Jul 20, 2018
This is what our politicians have pushed people to do.....

They should just give him his kids jejely....... He would need to deep pockets to fight this case and it must be fought from Italy....
Re: Nigerian Man Battles Italian Authorities Over His 2 Surviving Children by Flexherbal(m): 12:23pm On Jul 20, 2018
They should allow him feel the joy of children around a father.
Re: Nigerian Man Battles Italian Authorities Over His 2 Surviving Children by dontbothermuch: 12:24pm On Jul 20, 2018
Wahala everyday.

Sometimes you wonder if an everlasting sleep isn't better.
Re: Nigerian Man Battles Italian Authorities Over His 2 Surviving Children by tstx(m): 12:24pm On Jul 20, 2018
All this could hv bin averted if only things were all right in our country...

sometimes I feel our leaders purposely Underdevelop our Nation just to keep the masses poor...

10 Likes

Re: Nigerian Man Battles Italian Authorities Over His 2 Surviving Children by DaddyGngeess(m): 12:25pm On Jul 20, 2018
One day , you will be reunited with your children is just time..

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Man Battles Italian Authorities Over His 2 Surviving Children by iListen(f): 12:26pm On Jul 20, 2018
If he doesn't have ulterior motives, why is he refusing repatriation of his kids and insisting on entering Italy to see them?

10 Likes

Re: Nigerian Man Battles Italian Authorities Over His 2 Surviving Children by Sharpshooota: 12:26pm On Jul 20, 2018
sad sad sad

This man is a certified fool

Who carries his family to cross the Mediterranean sea on a bloody boat sad

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Man Battles Italian Authorities Over His 2 Surviving Children by laffwitmi: 12:27pm On Jul 20, 2018
Idiotpigs and prisons are like 5&6 grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Man Battles Italian Authorities Over His 2 Surviving Children by itswell1: 12:29pm On Jul 20, 2018
tobtap:
SAD...i hope he is re-united with his kids
He is not their father. these boys belong to Benin people , the lady families.
He see free woman for morroco and think sey the lady no get family? as long as he did not carry out benin marriage traditional rites he cannot lay claim to the children.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Man Battles Italian Authorities Over His 2 Surviving Children by itswell1: 12:30pm On Jul 20, 2018
iListen:
If he doesn't have ulterior motives, why is he refusing repatriation of his kids and insisting on entering Italy to see them?
God bless you my brother.
You can see the Igbo man's greed.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

COVID-19: Saudi Plans To Repatriate Over 11,000 Nigerians / Ghanaian Schoolboy Caught In Airplane Engine Trying To Escape Abroad (Video) / Truck Crushes Man To Death In Ebonyi (Graphic Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.