Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,811 members, 7,820,837 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:51 PM

Lagos And The Nigerian Tribal Tragedy - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos And The Nigerian Tribal Tragedy (2606 Views)

Open Letter To Nigerian Tribal Supremacists / Dubai Robbery: Femi Fani-Kayode Reacts As Nigerian Youths Start Tribal War / What I Will Do To El-rufai For Calling Me ‘tribal Bigot’- Peter Obi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos And The Nigerian Tribal Tragedy by IsaAbubakar: 9:18pm On Jul 21, 2018
[s]
Alariiwo:
Attimes I wonder if other regions eg. South East would what Yorubas allow in Lagos if they had the ports instead..

Yorubas are asleep seriously.

Decongest Lagos port, a man from SE or SS will say No. I hope one day we'll wake up from our slumber.
[/s]
bro hustle stop the hate
kiss the truth

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos And The Nigerian Tribal Tragedy by IsaAbubakar: 9:19pm On Jul 21, 2018
[s]
Alariiwo:

You're right.. Lagos is giving so much, yet getting nothing in return.

If you can recall, a bill was moved to grant Lagos a special status with similar privileges Rivers and the likes get.. But as expected, the SE. leaders and their senators kicked against it.

Their vague arguement then was that a landlocked Abia or Anambra without ports or pressure must get Special status grant too should Lagos that suffer all the burden get.

They were less bothered about the pressure but concerned about sharing formula.
[/s]
claptrap

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos And The Nigerian Tribal Tragedy by Alariiwo: 9:22pm On Jul 21, 2018
IsaAbubakar:
[s][/s]
why do you hate igbos so much?

Don't say what you don't know.. The real igbo haters won't say it out.
I'm as free as a lark with friends everywhere.
Re: Lagos And The Nigerian Tribal Tragedy by resurgent2019: 9:22pm On Jul 21, 2018
Alariiwo:

To claim ownership of the State maybe..

It took wisdom from a Northerner to move capital away from Lagos. Left for SE and SS, they don't mind choking Lagos and Lagosians to death all in the name of one Nigeria.

Stop with the bigotry na. Don’t you get tired. I am Yoruba and I think the Lagos port should be decongested by opening up eastern ports. And I haven’t seen any igbo Congress man against it.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos And The Nigerian Tribal Tragedy by Amberon11: 9:28pm On Jul 21, 2018
Guestlander:

Probably more than you will ever see in your lifetime.
Re: Lagos And The Nigerian Tribal Tragedy by Guestlander: 9:30pm On Jul 21, 2018
Amberon11:
Rich people don't brag. Only poor dimwits like you do.

Now see yourself out of my mentions.

You are a complete idiot. Brag about what? You asked a question and I gave you the answer. Are you completely retard.ed? Do you have issues with comprehension?
Re: Lagos And The Nigerian Tribal Tragedy by Amberon11: 9:31pm On Jul 21, 2018
Guestlander:

You are a complete idiot. Brag about what? You asked a question and I gave you the answer. Are you completely retarded? Do you have issues with comprehension?
Re: Lagos And The Nigerian Tribal Tragedy by selemempe: 9:32pm On Jul 21, 2018
Alariiwo:

If you can recall, a bill was moved to grant Lagos a special status with similar privileges Rivers and the likes get.. But as expected, the SE. leaders and their senators kicked against it.

Their vague arguement then was that a landlocked Abia or Anambra without ports or pressure must get Special status grant too should Lagos that suffer all the burden get.

Anambra is not landlocked...it has onitsha river port.

2ndly lagos is a state sitting on the progress of other states and u want us to add insult to the injury by further granting it special priviledges.

Why would a company like shell drill oil from ND but have its head office in lagos where it pays corporate tax?

Why would a trader in upper iweka have to go all the way to lagos to clear his container when onitsha has a river port? Paris and london are 2 biggest cities in the world...yet they are not close to the sea. They rely on rivers that run through it.

Why would i have to go to lagos or abuja to travel abroad when enugu has an international airport...all govt needs to do is complete it and attract air lines to it.

If lagos ever gets special status, then we are doomed in this country.

P.s we lost our cities to the war yet awolowo who was vp after the war never saw the need to start a south east development project

9 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Lagos And The Nigerian Tribal Tragedy by ANOWEDGREAT: 9:35pm On Jul 21, 2018
selemempe:
A failed City...

Lagos is a crisis on the nation's morality. A typical example of how greed and gluttony can lead to the constipation of a city. A nation with over fifteen thousand miles of coastal land and yet must endure the congestion of containers and tankers queued up to pick up their consignments from an overwhelmed wharf in Apapa.

Clogging the city, they besiege the bridges, streets, highways, in dozens of kilometers of logjam. From Lagos-Ibadan express, to Ijora-Seme axis, to costain-Western Avenue, to Eko Bridge heading towards Epe. The queues stretch all the way to Shagamu, through Berger and through Ibafo. They cause untold human carnage in their wake. And all this because a certain class of humans must "eat" all the taxes and revenues "alone".

Dear Lagosians, you are running a hectic and abnormal schedule that puts the question mark on your life expectancy. You have to understand this, the government has to understand as well, that this is not how to run a city. Therefore they should revert this current template and proceed towards development with a human face... - Sailor 20/7/18

We have to come together as a Nation and see how we have been killing ourselves by ourselves just because we want to ensure some people do not rise to their potential.

That's the curse of the black african man full of greed, envy and wickedness at it's worst form.

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Lagos And The Nigerian Tribal Tragedy by justtoodark: 9:38pm On Jul 21, 2018
selemempe:
are u for real? Se and Ss already have the ports...the govt of eastern region built 3 ports in the east...but govt is killing them delibrately. We are asking that u guys do the right thing and decongest lagos...by allowing other cities with potential to grow.

Will the yoro folks bear wat niger delta minorities have borne if u guys have all that oil?

Why will a man from SE or Ss say no about decongesting lagos when thats wat we have been praying for

the problem is not lagos per se....the problem is the people only concentrating on lagos....

the money is in lagos....just facts....thats why everybody is rushing their....

i dont think their is much the goverment can do if people prefer to transport their things through lagos....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos And The Nigerian Tribal Tragedy by proeast(m): 9:40pm On Jul 21, 2018
Alariiwo:

Continue calling Igbos while Lagos is gradually dying. No sane person now wants to live in Lagos except the few diplomats and rich ones that stay on the island. The rest of the urban jungle is collapsing under its own weight. You guys thought by keeping everything in Lagos, you are suffering others but alas, you ended up cutting your nose to spite your face. Thank God I left that jungle years back. You guys are all living a Hobbesian lifestyle with attendant short, brutish and nasty living. I just they pity you all in that sh!thole grin grin

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Lagos And The Nigerian Tribal Tragedy by justtoodark: 9:41pm On Jul 21, 2018
you east people talk like say lagos is begging una to pass una things through lagos....

return back to your regions....and bloody stay their...!!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos And The Nigerian Tribal Tragedy by justtoodark: 9:44pm On Jul 21, 2018
proeast:
Continue calling Igbos while Lagos is gradually dying. No sane person now wants to live in Lagos except the few diplomats and rich ones that stay on the island. The rest of the urban jungle is collapsing under its own weight. You guys thought by keeping everything in Lagos, you are suffering others but alas, you ended up cutting your nose to spite your face. Thank God I left that jungle years back. You guys are all living a Hobbesian lifestyle with attendant short, brutish and nasty living. I just they pity you all in that sh!thole grin grin

is he wrong...??...your immense greed for money caused this problems...now you wan blame others...?

who is begging igbos to stay in lagos...??...the oba wanted to throw una in the lagoon....

return back to the east...damit...!!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos And The Nigerian Tribal Tragedy by Alariiwo: 9:44pm On Jul 21, 2018
resurgent2019:

Stop with the bigotry na. Don’t you get tired. I am Yoruba and I think the Lagos port should be decongested by opening up eastern ports. And I haven’t seen any igbo Congress man against it.

SE had their fair share in the Senate, producing the highest number of Senate Presidents in history.
They had their fair share under Obasanjo up till GEJ and even in PMB's govt. they still hold relevent posts.

Why hasn't anyone of them done a single thing in that regard?
You don't expect Yorubas to keep carrying Igbo cross in Nigeria.. do you??

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos And The Nigerian Tribal Tragedy by 9jakool: 9:48pm On Jul 21, 2018
Other cities around the world like Tokyo have adequate infrastructure that supports twice the number of people in Lagos. There is no excuses for the way Lagos is!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos And The Nigerian Tribal Tragedy by justtoodark: 9:49pm On Jul 21, 2018
Alariiwo:

SE had their fair share in the Senate, producing the highest number of Senate Presidents in history.
They had their fair share under Obasanjo up till GEJ and even in PMB's govt. they still hold relevent posts.

Why hasn't anyone of done a single thing in that regard?

igbos will ruin yoruba land....they are too greedy.....they sell petty things sub standard rubbish they import from western nations around lagos without caring about the waste...tax they dont wan pay....

they are just messing the ol place up and in return they blame you.....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos And The Nigerian Tribal Tragedy by Guestlander: 9:52pm On Jul 21, 2018
Amberon11:
I didn't read past the first line of your thrash.

Nigga, I'm done indulging you.

That's right. You need to scram.
Re: Lagos And The Nigerian Tribal Tragedy by Alariiwo: 9:54pm On Jul 21, 2018
selemempe:

2ndly lagos is a state sitting on the progress of other states and u want us to add insult to the injury by further granting it special priviledges.

Why would a company like shell drill oil from ND but have its head office in lagos where it pays corporate tax?

Why would a trader in upper iweka have to go all the way to lagos to clear his container when onitsha has a river port? Paris and london are 2 biggest cities in the world...yet they are not close to the sea. They rely on rivers that run through it.

Why would i have to go to lagos or abuja to travel abroad when enugu has an international airport...all govt needs to do is complete it and attract air lines to it.

P.s we lost our cities to the war yet awolowo who was vp after the war never saw the need to start a south east development project

Landlocked means no access to Atlantic ocean that connects Africa with the rest of the World.

Noone is talking about river here. Even Borno has river and is classified as landlocked.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos And The Nigerian Tribal Tragedy by justtoodark: 9:55pm On Jul 21, 2018
Guestlander:

return to the east....dammit.....we are tired of una....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos And The Nigerian Tribal Tragedy by selemempe: 9:58pm On Jul 21, 2018
Alariiwo:

Landlocked means no access to Atlantic ocean that connects Africa with the rest of the World.

Noone is talking about river here. Even Borno has river and is classified as landlocked.
does london and paris have access to the ocean? Yet they have some of the busiest ports in the world... in ur dreams is where se is landlocked...not in real life

3 Likes

Re: Lagos And The Nigerian Tribal Tragedy by Guestlander: 10:01pm On Jul 21, 2018
justtoodark:

return to the east....dammit.....we are tired of una....

What east tori Olorun?
Re: Lagos And The Nigerian Tribal Tragedy by aribisala0(m): 10:04pm On Jul 21, 2018
proeast:
Keeping everything in Lagos?

Who is doing that exactly

How?

Your hackneyed lament is just that a piteous wail. I bet slum dwellers say the same thing about Davido and Ronaldo.They must have done something horrible to get so rich at their expense. There is a conspiracy to keep them poor.

Ask them to provide details and all you get is incoherent mumbling.

There are many ways to look at things .The rational way is hard because it requires cerebral infrastructure. The easy way is the emotional way.
If Lagos is crumbling and all those horrible things you wish it is

then it is because Lagos is getting a bad deal just like the Niger Delta.

It has provided the cheaest access to the sea for decades and has not got any commensurate returns.

The Nigerian state , A colonial force came to Lagos made it the capital and appropriated the coast.

Just like in the Delta the people were fishermen. They lost that and many lost ancestral lands. Did the British pay anyone for Ikoyi?
The Port has given Nigeria trillions but the roads are nevr maintained.

If anyone is a victim it is the people of Lagos.

The port in Lagos was developed by the British mostly . The FG expanded it in the 70s but evr since the decision to move to Abuja was made Lagos was discarded. The only infrrastructure built in Lagos after the 70s was the COMPLETION of the 3rd Mainland bridge.
If Lagos had gone to PDP in 1999 we would be singing another song now.

Look at the National Stadium, Theatre Federal Secretariat and so on. The plan was for Lagos to collapse. Lagos IS inspite of the FG not beause of it.

I agree many parts of the country get a bad deal but that includes Lagos and they are getting a bad deal NOT because of Lagos as many of you like to pretend.

Lagos has been a contributor to the Commonwealth from day one
https://www.nairaland.com/4144976/lagos-1898before-nigeria-not-oil/1#61883209

That is why the British preferred it to Calabar in 1914.
Lagos is like the case of a Layer whose owner wants to take eggs but does not want to buy food. Still it lays.
This idea of keeping everything in Lagos is daft. Who is doing that?How?

God put the coast in Lagos not man. The reason Lagos trumps everything is because that is how the British designeed it. Lagos was designed for EXPORT and that is why we only had two rail lines going North to South.

If you wanted to go to PH by train you went t Kaduna first. Ths informed the Lagos Ibadan Expressway.

It was Obasanjo that built the PH to Enugu road in the 70s .

So Lagos was the Largest port in the country even though all other ports were designed for export too. None had the same ease of access and the FG could just tke money without spending unless forced to.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos And The Nigerian Tribal Tragedy by Amberon11: 10:21pm On Jul 21, 2018
It was my fault, I'm sorry. I just realized now that I misconstrued your words. Please accept my sincere apologies,
I didn't mean to curse.

All the best.
Guestlander:

1 Like

Re: Lagos And The Nigerian Tribal Tragedy by Guestlander: 10:24pm On Jul 21, 2018
Amberon11:
It was my fault, I'm sorry. I just realized now that I misconstrued your words. Please accept my sincere apologies,
I didn't mean to curse.

All the best.

Apologies accepted. I'm sorry for the bad words as well.

1 Like

Re: Lagos And The Nigerian Tribal Tragedy by Amberon11: 10:29pm On Jul 21, 2018
No p, stay blessed.
Guestlander:

Apologies accepted. I'm sorry for the bad words as well.
Re: Lagos And The Nigerian Tribal Tragedy by aribisala0(m): 10:39pm On Jul 21, 2018
selemempe:

At the core of your outburst is emotionality and an unwillingness to face facts or even educate yourself,

You repeat this all the time aabout oil companies headquarters.

IT IS NONSENSE.

Oil companies or any other company in Nigeria by CONSTITUTION pay corporate tax to the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT.
This is repeated so many times and you do not bother to check yet you claaim you went to school

It does not matter where the headquarters of a company is the corporate tax is paid to the FG

How is Lagos sitting on other states? That sounds like a Nollywood theme. A successful Nigeria footballer is sitttting on the progress of his brothers by stealing their luck.
I really would like to know how Lagoos state is sitting on the Progress of others? Did Davido stop you releasing album

Is it Lagosians that lined the streets to celebrate the return of Ibori.

If you are old enough to remember Nigeria from 1984-1999 when Buhari Took over until Abdusalam handed over you will appreciate what Tinubu has done

Lagos is not holding anyone back please stop that sentiment

2 Likes

Re: Lagos And The Nigerian Tribal Tragedy by IsaAbubakar: 10:50pm On Jul 21, 2018
[s]
Alariiwo:

[/s]
claptrap

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos And The Nigerian Tribal Tragedy by IsaAbubakar: 10:51pm On Jul 21, 2018
[s]
Alariiwo:

Why hasn't anyone of them done a single thing in that regard?
[/s]
Rubbish

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos And The Nigerian Tribal Tragedy by Odingo1: 10:51pm On Jul 21, 2018
aribisala0:

At the core of your outburst is emotionality and an unwillingness to face facts or even educate yourself,

IT IS NONSENSE.

Oil companies or any other company in Nigeria by CONSTITUTION pay corporate tax to the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT.
This is repeated so many times and you do not bother to check yet you claaim you went to school

It does not matter where the headquarters of a company is the corporate tax is paid to the FG

How is Lagos sitting on other states? That sounds like a Nollywood theme. A successful Nigeria footballer is sitttting on the progress of his brothers by stealing their luck.
I really would like to know how Lagoos state is sitting on the Progress of others? Did Davido stop you releasing album

If you are old enough to remember Nigeria from 1984-1999 when Buhari Took over until Abdusalam handed over you will appreciate what Tinubu has done

You are just lying
Why is it that Yorubas always become jittery anytime the talk about oil companies relocation came up.

The workers in the oil companies dont pay ternament and rental charges and other spending in lagos.

Stop deceiving yourselve thinking that you are playing on other people.

Why is it that lagos have only viable seaport and international airport in Nigeria.

You think that we dont know is an arrangement between the west and the north to keep the old Eastern region down.

Continue deceiving yourselve.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos And The Nigerian Tribal Tragedy by Kingspin(m): 10:56pm On Jul 21, 2018
What is dividing Nigeria is bigger than what is uniting Nigeria.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos And The Nigerian Tribal Tragedy by BabaRamota1980: 10:57pm On Jul 21, 2018
There is distortion between the topic and the input. A reflection of how the OP brain is wired.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos And The Nigerian Tribal Tragedy by selemempe: 11:11pm On Jul 21, 2018
aribisala0:

IT IS NONSENSE.

In fact, the traffic jam along the Oshodi-Apapa expressway, has been directly linked to the congestion in both the Apapa and Tin-Can ports. Vanguard learnt that the congestion is a fallout of the snail-speed offloading of containers by the port terminal operators and acute shortage of space for the trucks to park while waiting to discharge their consignments.

The irony is that while the Lagos ports are heavily congested with ships queuing to get port calls to berth, the eastern ports are lying fallow due to little or no patronage.

Apart from the Port at Onne in RiversState, the other seaports located at Port Harcourt, Calabar, Warri and Koko are, mildly put, existing only in name. Another irony is that most importers who make use of the Lagos Ports have their businesses in the South South and South East geo-political zones.

Stakeholders in the maritime industry who spoke to Vanguard laid most of the blame for the under-utilization of the eastern ports on the corridors of the Federal Government and the foreign shipping lines. The government is said to have rolled out policies that have directly and indirectly stiffled the operations of eastern ports.

Concessioning of ports

Prior to the concessioning of ports to private operators in 2006, the Federal Government gave up to 30 percent discount as incentives to shipping companies willing to use the eastern ports. Most of these shipping companies jumped at the bait and the result was a boom in the operations at the eastern ports. But this incentive was withdrawn after the concession.

To make things worse, the freight charged for using the eastern ports was hiked. Stakeholders who spoke to Vanguard in Port Harcourt recently alleged that these measures were deliberate because the Government wanted to give undue advantage to the western ports.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

"Nigeria Almost Locked My Destiny" — Beautiful Lady Narrates Her Ordeal / Breaking: FG To Construct Port Harcourt-maiduguri Rail Line, Two New Seaports / Geoffrey onyeama(APC) /VS Peter obi(PDP): for President 2023

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.