Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,935 members, 7,828,296 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 08:01 AM

10 Benefits Of An Independent Igbo Land - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 10 Benefits Of An Independent Igbo Land (911 Views)

If The South East Becomes An Independent Country / 10 Benefits Of 2023 Electricity Act Bill Signed By President Tinubu / Buhari, Cabals Unhappy With Osinbajo Over Sack Of Daura - Daily Independent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Benefits Of An Independent Igbo Land by gidgiddy: 12:30pm On Jul 22, 2018
Article 20(1) of the African Charter which Nigeria is a signatory to states that: All peoples shall have the right to existence. They shall have the unquestionable and inalienable right to self-determination. They shall freely determine their political status and shall pursue their economic and social development according to the policy they have freely chosen

I wanted to remind the mods of this law before they rush to ban over secession. Separation or self determination is a legal right and I'm going to discuss that of my people in this thread. I want make a point that independent Igbo land is different from Biafra as Biafra involves several ethnic groups including Igbos. What concerns me most is that Igbo land is free, with or without other tribes in the south. But today, I will talk about my tribe.

To my fellow Igbos, I say 'mma mma nu!'. Igbo land and indeed the Igbo ethnic group are amongst the people and places that were stampeded by the British in 1914 into a new colonial project called "Nigeria". Before then, Igbo land was a confederacy of thousands of loosely connected clans. The clans had no kings and where administered by a council of elders that had no leader.

I'm one Igbo who believes that Igbos/Igboids/Igbo speaking people are far better on their own than within Nigeria. It is important to note Igbo land is not the so called "5 South East states". There are over 1 million indigenous Igbos carved into Benue state, mainly in Obi local govt, 30% of Delta state is Igbo/Igboids sometimes called Anioma or Delta Igbos. 65% of Rivers is Igbo/Igboid.

If this area became independent, as they once were before the British came, the advantages are enormous

1) Restructuring: The opportunity to choose the right system of governance for us and restructure our land accordingly. As things stand now, nobody can restructure anything in Nigeria without the permission of the North

2) Visible governance: Gone will be the days when elected leaders do whatever they like, hide under the cloak of immunity or run to Abuja for protection. There will be no Abuja to run to as governance will be much closer to home and the people can hold the leaders accountable under the enabling laws.

3) Rebranding: To be honest, the name Nigeria isnt one that people all over the world have much admiration for. An independent Igbo land gives us the rare opportunity for a fresh start and to market our selves to the world under a new brand.

4) Security Architecture: As things stand now, the security situation in Nigeria is a disaster. It has proved unmanangeble. Thosands of people have been slaughtered by herdsmen/ISIS/Ghadafis men/Boko Haram and what have you. An independent Igbo land gives us the power to totally overhaul the entire security apparatus of Igbo land and make us defenders of our land. I do not believe that ISIS,Herdsman or whatever will come to Igbo land to commit crime when they realise they will have to deal with the "Igbo police"

5)Autonomy:- Igbos have no autonomy in Nigeria. The future of Igbo land is decided in Abuja. If Igbo land were to become independent, the capital of independent Igbo land would be in Igbo land and the destiny of Igbo land would be decided In Igbo land.

6)Resource control:- I want the Enugu man to control his coal in Enugu, I want the Nsukka man to control his palm wine in Nsukka, I want the Abakiliki man to control his Limestone in Abakiliki, the Ohaji/Egbema man should control his Oil in Imo, the Aguleri man should control his Gas in Anambra and so on and so fort. Igbo land is blessed, however, we are under Nigeria and cannot control our resources without the permission of Abuja

7) An independent Igbo land would have the opportunity to market its self to a 7 billion market called the world

8. An independent Igbo land would promote unity amongst Igbos. For too long, Igbo land has been divided by Nigeria to the extent that we now have people claiming to be "Anambra Igbos", "Imo Igbos","Ebonyi Igbos". Anambra, Imo and Ebonyi are just names of Rivers in Igbo land. Igbo is Igbo and an independent Igbo land would emphasise that.

9) An independent Igbo land will lead to the end of the unhealthy rivalry between the 3 majority ethnic groups that has dogged Nigeria since 1960. For the first time since 1914, Igbos will have the opportunity to decide their future without considering what Yorubas or Hausa/Fulani think.

10) Confederation- Igbo land being independent will give us the once in a life time opportunity to return to our confederal roots. Igbo land should be a confederation of all sub-Igbo nationalities, Aro, Ngwa, Wawa, Ijekebe,Izzi/Ezza and many more should be the confederating units.

1 Like

Re: 10 Benefits Of An Independent Igbo Land by Arysexy(m): 12:42pm On Jul 22, 2018
Including banning of Islam from our land

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 10 Benefits Of An Independent Igbo Land by potoX: 12:52pm On Jul 22, 2018
gidgiddy:
Article 20(1) of the African Charter which Nigeria is a signatory to states that: All peoples shall have the right to existence. They shall have the unquestionable and inalienable right to self-determination. They shall freely determine their political status and shall pursue their economic and social development according to the policy they have freely chosen

I wanted to remind the mods of this law before they rush to ban over secession. Separation or self determination is a legal right and I'm going to discuss that of my people in this thread. I want make a point that independent Igbo land is different from Biafra as Biafra involves several ethnic groups including Igbos. What concerns me most is that Igbo land is free, with or without other tribes in the south. But today, I will talk about my tribe.

To my fellow Igbos, I say 'mma mma nu!'. Igbo land and indeed the Igbo ethnic group are amongst the people and places that were stampeded by the British in 1914 into a new colonial project called "Nigeria". Before then, Igbo land was a confederacy of thousands of loosely connected clans. The clans had no kings and where administered by a council of elders that had no leader.

I'm one Igbo who believes that Igbos/Igboids/Igbo speaking people are far better on their own than within Nigeria. It is important to note Igbo land is not the so called "5 South East states". There are over 1 million indigenous Igbos carved into Benue state, mainly in Obi local govt, 30% of Delta state is Igbo/Igboids sometimes called Anioma or Delta Igbos. 65% of Rivers is Igbo/Igboid.

If this area became independent, as they once were before the British came, the advantages are enormous

1) Restructuring: The opportunity to choose the right system of governance for us and restructure our land accordingly. As things stand now, nobody can restructure anything in Nigeria without the permission of the North

2) Visible governance: Gone will be the days when elected leaders do whatever they like, hide under the cloak of immunity or run to Abuja for protection. There will be no Abuja to run to as governance will be much closer to home and the people can hold the leaders accountable under the enabling laws.

3) Rebranding: To be honest, the name Nigeria isnt one that people all over the world have much admiration for. An independent Igbo land gives us the rare opportunity for a fresh start and to market our selves to the world under a new brand.

4) Security Architecture: As things stand now, the security situation in Nigeria is a disaster. It has proved unmanangeble. Thosands of people have been slaughtered by herdsmen/ISIS/Ghadafis men/Boko Haram and what have you. An independent Igbo land gives us the power to totally overhaul the entire security apparatus of Igbo land and make us defenders of our land. I do not believe that ISIS,Herdsman or whatever will come to Igbo land to commit crime when they realise they will have to deal with the "Igbo police"

5)Autonomy:- Igbos have no autonomy in Nigeria. The future of Igbo land is decided in Abuja. If Igbo land were to become independent, the capital of independent Igbo land would be in Igbo land and the destiny of Igbo land would be decided In Igbo land.

6)Resource control:- I want the Enugu man to control his coal in Enugu, I want the Nsukka man to control his palm wine in Nsukka, I want the Abakiliki man to control his Limestone in Abakiliki, the Ohaji/Egbema man should control his Oil in Imo, the Aguleri man should control his Gas in Anambra and so on and so fort. Igbo land is blessed, however, we are under Nigeria and cannot control our resources without the permission of Abuja

7) An independent Igbo land would have the opportunity to market its self to a 7 billion market called the world

8. An independent Igbo land would promote unity amongst Igbos. For too long, Igbo land has been divided by Nigeria to the extent that we now have people claiming to be "Anambra Igbos", "Imo Igbos","Ebonyi Igbos". Anambra, Imo and Ebonyi are just names of Rivers in Igbo land. Igbo is Igbo and an independent Igbo land would emphasise that.

9) An independent Igbo land will lead to the end of the unhealthy rivalry between the 3 majority ethnic groups that has dogged Nigeria since 1960. For the first time since 1914, Igbos will have the opportunity to decide their future without considering what Yorubas or Hausa/Fulani think.

10) Confederation- Igbo land being independent will give us the once in a life time opportunity to return to our confederal roots. Igbo land should be a confederation of all sub-Igbo nationalities, Aro, Ngwa, Wawa, Ijekebe,Izzi/Ezza and many more should be the confederating units.

Will you people stop smuggling drugs when you get your Biafra?

2 Likes

Re: 10 Benefits Of An Independent Igbo Land by tensazangetsu20(m): 1:09pm On Jul 22, 2018
potoX:

Does Nigeria stop you from mining skulls lipsrsealed

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 10 Benefits Of An Independent Igbo Land by Fatherofdragons: 1:11pm On Jul 22, 2018
potoX:

when will u stop chopping off people's heads?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Benefits Of An Independent Igbo Land by potoX: 1:14pm On Jul 22, 2018
Fatherofdragons:

when will u stop chopping off people's heads?
simple question you no fit answer

2 Likes

Re: 10 Benefits Of An Independent Igbo Land by Xander85: 1:17pm On Jul 22, 2018
melodyogonna:
We all know the many benefits of being independent, that's why we are fighting for it. The problem is that powers that be won't allow us to govern ourselves without a fight.

True that! smiley

Everyone, including Igbo and non Igbo know the benefits derivable from a detachment from Nigeria! Problem is, the non Igbo don't want it to happen either because of envy, or they feel they can't survive alone without sharing the same country with us and tapping into our human and natural resources!

And for the Igbo that don't want it, it's mainly due to them placing selfish and materialistic gains over the freedom and emancipation of their people! They know that in the type of country envisioned by IPOB, many of them wouldn't have access to the unmerited positions and filthy lucre they presently enjoy courtesy of this corrup, ineffective and inefficient 'one Nigeria'!
Re: 10 Benefits Of An Independent Igbo Land by BankeSmalls(f): 1:39pm On Jul 22, 2018
tensazangetsu20:

Does Nigeria stop you from mining skulls lipsrsealed

Savagery at its peak grin

2 Likes

Re: 10 Benefits Of An Independent Igbo Land by potoX: 1:59pm On Jul 22, 2018
Xander85:

True that! smiley

Everyone, including Igbo and non Igbo know the benefits derivable from a detachment from Nigeria! Problem is, the non Igbo don't want it to happen either because of envy, or they feel they can't survive alone without sharing the same country with us and tapping into our human and natural resources!

And for the Igbo that don't want it, it's mainly due to them placing selfish and materialistic gains over the freedom and emancipation of their people! They know that in the type of country envisioned by IPOB, many of them wouldn't have access to the unmerited positions and filthy lucre they presently enjoy courtesy of this corrup, ineffective and inefficient 'one Nigeria'!
You've got nothing anybody wants so stop feeling too important of yourselves. When we deport you in the millions en mass your eye go clear
Re: 10 Benefits Of An Independent Igbo Land by velocity25(m): 2:16pm On Jul 22, 2018
we must continue, freedom of Igbo Land is our duty! God bless Igbo land, God bless Biafrans!

3 Likes

Re: 10 Benefits Of An Independent Igbo Land by gidgiddy: 2:54pm On Jul 22, 2018
velocity25:
we must continue, freedom of Igbo Land is our duty! God bless Igbo land, God bless Biafrans!

ISE!

3 Likes

Re: 10 Benefits Of An Independent Igbo Land by Ttipsy(f): 6:35pm On Jul 22, 2018
nice map, least it's not landlocked

(1) (Reply)

Meet Uzodinma Asonye, Nigerian Lead Prosecutor In Trump's Russian Collusion Case / Again Obasanjo Taunts Buhari, Calls Him A Tyrant / What Has Bianca Ojukwu Ever Done For Humanity?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.