Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,990 members, 7,817,911 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:49 PM

Onitsha river port concessioned with operations to begin any moment - NIWA MD - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Onitsha river port concessioned with operations to begin any moment - NIWA MD (1795 Views)

Onitsha River Port Has Been Concessioned. / Onitsha River Port Concessioned To Universal Eligion Consortium (Photos) / Onitsha Port Concessioned To 2 Firms, May Commence Operations This Year - NIWA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Onitsha river port concessioned with operations to begin any moment - NIWA MD by Blue3k(m): 6:19pm On Jul 22, 2018
Mr Danladi Ibrahim, Acting Managing Director, National Inland Waterways Authority (NIWA) says the ongoing construction of Lokoja, Oguta River ports will be completed before the end of 2018.

Ibrahim, who disclosed this in an interview with newsmen in Abuja, said the Lokoja port was 75 per cent completed while Oguta port, in Imo, was 70 per cent completed.

“We are looking at Lokoja, Oguta ports to be completed in 2018. We have also completed one of our major ports in Baro.

“The two ports will be completed before the end of the year. As soon as the budget implementation starts, we will swing into action,” the official said.

He said by 2019, the agency would commence the Makurdi port, adding that new ports would be developed as the need arises

Ibrahim said that the agency was going to buy equipment in batches to start moving cargoes from Lagos port to Onitsha and Baro.

According to him, when the Onitsha, Lokoja and Baro river ports commence operation, they will create over 2000 jobs.

“By the time Onitsha, Lokoja and Baro ports come into operation, more than 2000 jobs will be created because the operations of these ports will attract infrastructure.

“The port will be connected to rail, companies like Dangote and Bua will also be handy to utilise these ports.”

The NIWA boss, however, said that the dredging maintenance from Ajaokuta-Onitsha would be done as soon as allocation in the 2018 budget was released.

He said that the agency had embarked on direct maintenance dredging of its channels, which was a very cheap way of maintaining the waterways unlike the previous practice.

Ibrahim said the maintenanice of the dredging from Baro to Idah in Kogi state was recently completed.

“We are acquiring additional two dredgers from our 2018 budget and every year we will be adding, until we have a pool of sufficient number of dredgers that we can maintain.

“We are getting the additional dredgers to enhance our capacity for in-house maintenance dredging of the channels.”

He said Onitsha port had been concessioned, “so operations will start any moment from now”.

Source: https://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2018/07/22/niwa-to-complete-lokoja-oguta-river-ports-in-2018-md/amp/

Front page: Lalasticlala

Re: Onitsha river port concessioned with operations to begin any moment - NIWA MD by thatigboman: 6:24pm On Jul 22, 2018
Lie lie govt. Will, shall, never has completed.
Re: Onitsha river port concessioned with operations to begin any moment - NIWA MD by Blue3k(m): 6:33pm On Jul 22, 2018
Interesting lets see if they can meet their expected deadline. It would be impressive if they complete all the ports and dredge rivers this year.

Who did they quietly concession Onitsha river port to? I still can't find it on icrc website. Also they should make it a port of origin like they did for Kaduna dry port.

He said Onitsha port had been concessioned, “so operations will start any moment from now”.
Re: Onitsha river port concessioned with operations to begin any moment - NIWA MD by FriendNG: 8:26pm On Jul 22, 2018
Onitsha port had been concessioned and operations will start any moment from now

Lalasticlala Mynd44 do the needful.
Re: Onitsha river port concessioned with operations to begin any moment - NIWA MD by otokx(m): 8:28pm On Jul 22, 2018
Hope this one too is not the usual lies and propaganda? The people are tired

1 Like

Re: Onitsha river port concessioned with operations to begin any moment - NIWA MD by velocity25(m): 9:56pm On Jul 22, 2018
“The port will be connected to rail, companies like Dangote and Bua will also be handy to utilise these ports.”so the reason why the ports are open ,for aboki companies
Re: Onitsha river port concessioned with operations to begin any moment - NIWA MD by Blue3k(m): 9:57pm On Jul 22, 2018
News Agency of Nigeria already confirmed Onitsha port was concessioned. The MD is quoted saying “Any moment from now, the concessionaire will take over the Onitsha port." That tell me they already picked someone to run port. I'd post more links but the spam bot is stupid.

I took your advice on title change. I also emailed NIWA hopefully they get back to me in a week. Yusuf Ismail bid to run Onitsha port but I doubt he won since there's no news or update on website. It would make for hilarious 10 thread on nairaland.

FriendNG:

Can you get the news from another source to confirm the concession.

And pls modify the title to Onitsha port completed to begin operation anytime from now.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Onitsha river port concessioned with operations to begin any moment - NIWA MD by FriendNG: 10:04pm On Jul 22, 2018
Blue3k:
News Agency of Nigeria already confirmed Onitsha port was concessioned. The MD is quoted saying “Any moment from now, the concessionaire will take over the Onitsha port." That tell me they already picked someone to run port. I'd post more links but the spam bot is stupid.

I took your advice on title change. I also emailed NIWA hopefully they get back to me in a week. Yusuf Ismail bid to run Onitsha port but I doubt he won since there's no news or update on website. It would make for hilarious 10 thread on nairaland.

Yeah it will surpassed 10 pages self. Alright then lemme know when dey reply.
Re: Onitsha river port concessioned with operations to begin any moment - NIWA MD by splendid2: 10:21pm On Jul 22, 2018
I will take the news serious when it starts operation.
We also hope they will not make cost and ease of using the port a monstrous issue
Re: Onitsha river port concessioned with operations to begin any moment - NIWA MD by Kingspin(m): 10:45pm On Jul 22, 2018
If you like promise all married men 10-10 concubines each, una government is going going GONE!
Re: Onitsha river port concessioned with operations to begin any moment - NIWA MD by Blue3k(m): 10:50pm On Jul 22, 2018
Btw did you notice they want to keep adding more river ports. The next one is going to be Benue apperently. This MD needs to be sat down and interviewed.

He said by 2019, the agency would commence the Makurdi port, adding that new ports would be developed as the need arises

Fixed title.
FriendNG:

Yeah it will surpassed 10 pages self. Alright then lemme know when dey reply.

Blue3k you're thread title not in order.
Re: Onitsha river port concessioned with operations to begin any moment - NIWA MD by totit: 11:10pm On Jul 22, 2018
Onisha? You mean, that no man's land grin lipsrsealed

I hope this nigeria(promise and failure) dream come to pass in that part of the country shocked

1 Like

Re: Onitsha river port concessioned with operations to begin any moment - NIWA MD by LaudableXX: 12:04am On Jul 23, 2018
Blue3k:

Okay, o! This is good news. sad I hope the SE importers would use it, and not ignore it, the way they did with Onne port. undecided
Re: Onitsha river port concessioned with operations to begin any moment - NIWA MD by LaudableXX: 12:07am On Jul 23, 2018
Blue3k:
Btw did you notice they want to keep adding more river ports. The next one is going to be Benue apperently. This MD needs to be sat down and interviewed.

Fixed title.

If truly all the river ports can become operational, more attention would turn to our waterways. sad There would be less pressure on our roads, from the long-distance haulage trucks and trailers, that congest our highways. By now, there should be intense efforts to put in place ferries, barges and mid-size vessels which can navigate these waterways & convey goods and passengers, to each of these ports. undecided

It would open up commerce along the riverine communities, while travel time could also be cut in half. Like I always ask: Why can't there be a regular scheduled ferry service linking Lagos to Warri & Port-harcourt? shocked

1 Like

Re: Onitsha river port concessioned with operations to begin any moment - NIWA MD by Blue3k(m): 2:33pm On Jul 23, 2018
Lol posted this story whole day ago didnt grt front page. This site weird sometimes.

LaudableXX:

If truly all the river ports can become operational, more attention would turn to our waterways. sad There would be less pressure on our roads, from the long-distance haulage trucks and trailers, that congest our highways. By now, there should be intense efforts to put in place ferries, barges and mid-size vessels which can navigate these waterways & convey goods and passengers, to each of these ports. undecided

It would open up commerce along the riverine communities, while travel time could also be cut in half. Like I always ask: Why can't there be a regular scheduled ferry service linking Lagos to Warri & Port-harcourt? shocked

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Onitsha river port concessioned with operations to begin any moment - NIWA MD by bestviewer: 3:01pm On Jul 23, 2018
Ok more details about the concessionaire needed.
Re: Onitsha river port concessioned with operations to begin any moment - NIWA MD by knowledgeable: 4:51pm On Jul 23, 2018
velocity25:
“The port will be connected to rail, companies like Dangote and Bua will also be handy to utilise these ports.”so the reason why the ports are open ,for aboki companies

Why do you think the fools have refused restructuring.......because they are parasites leached onto Igbo economic progress. The dysfunctionality we call government allow these fools to prevent Igbo's progress unless on their own terms.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Onitsha river port concessioned with operations to begin any moment - NIWA MD by velocity25(m): 5:47pm On Jul 23, 2018
knowledgeable:

Why do you think the fools have refused restructuring.......because they are parasites leached onto Igbo economic progress. The dysfunctionality we call government allow these fools to prevent Igbo's progress unless on their own terms.
but some political corrects of the south are still sleeping, we can't continue this project called Nigeria, it's not healthy for Igbo success
Re: Onitsha river port concessioned with operations to begin any moment - NIWA MD by Blue3k(m): 9:17pm On Jul 23, 2018
Bump
Re: Onitsha river port concessioned with operations to begin any moment - NIWA MD by justtoodark: 10:53pm On Jul 23, 2018
they will stll not use it....they are in love with lagos....
Re: Onitsha river port concessioned with operations to begin any moment - NIWA MD by LaudableXX: 12:14am On Jul 24, 2018
knowledgeable:
That brand of weed you are smoking has really tapered with your brain. Try and stop it....the topic under discussion, is a river port in Onitsha, and not restructuring. If the Onitsha port was not developed, you would lament that the govt is against you. Now that it has been completed, you are still wailing. shocked Open another thread to lament about restructuring, if you like. Chai!

(1) (Reply)

REVEALED: List Of 11 PDP Members Joining Akpabio To Decamp To APC / Buhari Won't See The Jets He Paid For Till He Leaves Office. / Massive Crowd As Atiku Campaigns In Uyo, Akwa Ibom State (watch Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.