Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,889 members, 7,817,614 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:35 PM

Scientists Confirm Diabetes Link With Cancer - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Scientists Confirm Diabetes Link With Cancer (12450 Views)

Help Me Confirm If I Am HIV Positive / Coronavirus: Ghana, Gabon Confirm First Cases / Lady Diagnosed With Cancer At 23 And Had Her Eggs Frozen, Shares Her Story. PICS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Scientists Confirm Diabetes Link With Cancer by Wapnetrealmcom: 2:10am On Jul 23, 2018
A major new study has confirmed the link between diabetes and cancer. The new research also warns that the risk of cancer is sex-specific in people with diabetes.

The study suggests that a diagnosis of diabetes places a person at an increased risk of various types of cancer.

Now, a review analyzing the data collected by 47 studies from across the globe — including the United States, United Kingdom, China, Australia, and Japan, to name but a few — confirms, beyond doubt, that diabetes heightens the risk for cancer.

The study authors note that women with diabetes are especially affected. They appear to be more exposed than men to the development of malign tumors.

The findings of this global review — which assessed the health-related data of almost 20 million people — are discussed in a paper now published in the journal Diabetologia.

The review was conducted by researchers led by Dr. Toshiaki Ohkuma, from the George Institute for Global Health at the University of New South Wales in Sydney, Australia.

His colleagues hailed from the University of Oxford in the U.K., and Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, MD.

Dr. Ohkuma and his colleagues discovered not only that diabetes — both type 1 and type 2 — put people at risk of developing specific types of cancer, but also that this risk is much higher for women than it is for men.

Women with diabetes are 27 percent likelier to develop cancer, compared with healthy women. By contrast, men with diabetes are 19 percent more likely to develop cancer than healthy men.

And, women with diabetes are 6 percent likelier than men with the same diagnosis to develop a type of cancer.

Specifically, in contrast to men with a diagnosis of diabetes, women with this condition have an 11 percent higher risk of developing kidney cancer, a 13 percent higher risk for oral cancer, and a 14 percent higher chance of developing stomach cancer, as well as a 15 percent higher chance of being diagnosed with leukemia.

One exception was liver cancer, for which men with diabetes have a 12 percent higher risk than women with the same metabolic condition.

“We have also demonstrated for the first time,” he adds, “that women with diabetes are more likely to develop any form of cancer, and have a significantly higher chance of developing kidney, oral, and stomach cancers and leukemia.”

http://wapnetrealm.com/scientists-had-confirm-diabetes-link-with-cancer/

1 Like

Re: Scientists Confirm Diabetes Link With Cancer by dora324(f): 2:13am On Jul 23, 2018
its not really new

4 Likes

Re: Scientists Confirm Diabetes Link With Cancer by jetroolowole(m): 4:40am On Jul 23, 2018
ok
Re: Scientists Confirm Diabetes Link With Cancer by mknigeriagreat: 4:42am On Jul 23, 2018
There is nothing as good as staying healthy. Years back I was missed a last flight to Lagos from Abuja. I had to board one ekene night bus to lagos. When we got to Lagos around 7.30am most young guys and ladies in the bus were washing and opening their sleepy mouths with either biscuits, gala, chocolate, coke, fanta or any sugary thing. One grandma looking beautiful at like 80 just quietly brought out 2 green big pears and had it for breakfast. That day, I understood why most of the ancient ones lived longer and had good health. Today, all we gulp into our system are things that can kill someone in few years. If you are still healthy not nursing any illness yet, you better live and stay healthy because prevention they say is better than cure. And for all the sick ones, may God heal you. Sugar ain't good for the body but people won't just listen.

66 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Scientists Confirm Diabetes Link With Cancer by health2wealth: 4:42am On Jul 23, 2018
really
Re: Scientists Confirm Diabetes Link With Cancer by blowjohn(m): 4:44am On Jul 23, 2018
mknigeriagreat:
There is nothing as good as staying healthy.

Yes. So stop taking Alomo

1 Like

Re: Scientists Confirm Diabetes Link With Cancer by judey1992(m): 4:45am On Jul 23, 2018
Diabetes, the silent killer doesn't a lot more harm ND some are undiscovered.
the organism has food but is being starved. what a disorder?

may God save us all
Re: Scientists Confirm Diabetes Link With Cancer by judey1992(m): 4:49am On Jul 23, 2018
mknigeriagreat:
There is nothing as good as staying healthy.

yeah you may want to stay healthy but ur genetic composition might not be a healthy.

early detection ND good management is key in handling diabetes. as well as a good analysis of what runs in the family.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Scientists Confirm Diabetes Link With Cancer by MANNABBQGRILLS: 4:51am On Jul 23, 2018
blowjohn:

Taking Alomo in moderation is a good thing ,
i.e, if you can stand the bitter taste.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Scientists Confirm Diabetes Link With Cancer by Nitobegiku: 4:51am On Jul 23, 2018
This disorder is a big killer. But the Japanese have been treating it effectively with their bitter-tasting Nitobegiku herb for ages (you can Google it).

Blood Sugar/Glucose level reduction within 30-mins after intake, lasting 24-hours per serving. The Nitobegiku solution.

2 Likes

Re: Scientists Confirm Diabetes Link With Cancer by mknigeriagreat: 4:52am On Jul 23, 2018
blowjohn:

Me alomo? I ever had a discussion with you before?
Re: Scientists Confirm Diabetes Link With Cancer by squarelead(m): 5:08am On Jul 23, 2018
In fact this world sef. Soo many ailment up and down.

1 Like

Re: Scientists Confirm Diabetes Link With Cancer by ruggedmallaam(m): 5:10am On Jul 23, 2018
My friend told me that if you purchase a new itelp31 phone,there will be a free data bonus for 6 months if you subscribe 1000 naira for only Airtel users.please who knows of the code?
Re: Scientists Confirm Diabetes Link With Cancer by Benblaq(m): 5:17am On Jul 23, 2018
May God help us.

These white monkeys will just be doing stupid research and be instilling fear in the minds of the ignorants.

1 Like

Re: Scientists Confirm Diabetes Link With Cancer by MrBigiman: 5:31am On Jul 23, 2018
Yet Johesu memebers are quick to claim that Medical doctors are not Scientist. Shame on their unholy fight!

2 Likes

Re: Scientists Confirm Diabetes Link With Cancer by johnmba: 5:32am On Jul 23, 2018
We have so many health issues in our generation
Re: Scientists Confirm Diabetes Link With Cancer by johnmba: 5:33am On Jul 23, 2018
MrBigiman:
Yet Johesu memebers are quick to claim that Medical doctors are not Scientist. Shame on their unholy fight!

Pls what are you saying
Re: Scientists Confirm Diabetes Link With Cancer by Nobody: 5:39am On Jul 23, 2018
cancer cells feed on sugar, not news. keep your blood glucose levels down today!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Scientists Confirm Diabetes Link With Cancer by joyfullyjoyous(f): 5:50am On Jul 23, 2018
Cancer will not locate me in Jesus name(Amen).

4 Likes

Re: Scientists Confirm Diabetes Link With Cancer by SheikhMuniru(m): 5:59am On Jul 23, 2018
NOTHING GOOD AS TAKING CAMEL URINE AND ZAMZAM WATER EVERYDAY FOR HEALTHY LIVING
Re: Scientists Confirm Diabetes Link With Cancer by fr3do(m): 6:02am On Jul 23, 2018
I am dropping sugar pata pata
Re: Scientists Confirm Diabetes Link With Cancer by sweetilicious(f): 6:02am On Jul 23, 2018
Nitobegiku:
This disorder is a big killer. But the Japanese have been treating it effectively with their bitter-tasting Nitobegiku herb for ages (you can Google it).

Blood Sugar/Glucose level reduction within 30-mins after intake, lasting 24-hours per serving. The Nitobegiku solution.
I don't know if this is what the Korean doctor treating my father uses,but it sure brought it down. He is so strong and healthy.Makes me so happy.

1 Like

Re: Scientists Confirm Diabetes Link With Cancer by FarahAideed: 6:12am On Jul 23, 2018
Like I have always said
Re: Scientists Confirm Diabetes Link With Cancer by Nobody: 6:17am On Jul 23, 2018
You don't mean it
Re: Scientists Confirm Diabetes Link With Cancer by meezynetwork(m): 6:20am On Jul 23, 2018
Bitterleaf water is good 4 ur health

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Scientists Confirm Diabetes Link With Cancer by kekakuz(m): 6:31am On Jul 23, 2018
it's too late for some. in all situation give thanks

1 Like

Re: Scientists Confirm Diabetes Link With Cancer by kekakuz(m): 6:42am On Jul 23, 2018
sweetilicious:
I don't know if this is what the Korean doctor treating my father uses,but it sure brought it down. He is so strong and healthy.Makes me so happy.

please did your dad travel to Korea?
Re: Scientists Confirm Diabetes Link With Cancer by Troublemaker007(m): 6:55am On Jul 23, 2018
What is this again? You people should just tell us to to eat butt live on water. Oh I forgot! Even water have its own diseases.
Re: Scientists Confirm Diabetes Link With Cancer by Nobody: 6:56am On Jul 23, 2018
Diabetes is a very dangerous and debilitating disease.
Even more dangerous than AIDS
Re: Scientists Confirm Diabetes Link With Cancer by Troublemaker007(m): 6:56am On Jul 23, 2018
ruggedmallaam:
My friend told me that if you purchase a new itelp31 phone,there will be a free data bonus for 6 months if you subscribe 1000 naira for only Airtel users.please who knows of the code?

Na so you Mumu cheesy

(1) (2) (Reply)

Adewole Visits Leprosy Community In Abuja (Photos) / Ogun Doctors Begin Strike Today Over Welfare Package / How To Fight Depression

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.