Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,520 members, 7,812,620 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:17 PM

How Senate Leader Failed To Stop Mass Defection From APC - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Senate Leader Failed To Stop Mass Defection From APC (895 Views)

Police Attacks Won’t Stop Mass Exodus To Our Party, PDP Tells APC, IGP / Bukola Saraki All Smiles As He Arrives Kwara After Defection From APC. Photos / How Governor Ortom Announced His Defection From APC To PDP (VIDEO) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Senate Leader Failed To Stop Mass Defection From APC by Ngtimes: 3:38pm On Jul 24, 2018
There was mild drama in the Senate on Tuesday as the Senate Leader, Ahmed Lawan, tried to stop the mass defection of some lawmakers from the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC).

PREMIUM TIMES reported how 15 senators left the ruling party, Majority announced they were joining the main opposition party, PDP.

They said they made the decision to decamp after due consultation with their constituentsand stakeholders in their constituencies.

Shortly after the letter of the first 14 lawmakers was read by the Senate President, Mr Lawan stood up to oppose the defection. He said disagreement in the APC does not translate to factionalisation of the party, which is the basis upon which a lawmaker could abandon his party.

The chamber was then thrown into a rowdy session as the newly-defected lawmakers disagreed with his statement and tried to stop him from talking.

However, after a few moment, Mr Lawan continued. He said it is true the APC has its own internal challenges and members have internal disagreements.

He, however, demanded that the announcement of defections be “contained” so as to let leaders of the party address the issue.

“We all know how so much efforts by so many stakeholders to address the issues that bedevil this party and disagreements do not translate to factionalisation.

“I feel our senators of the APC stock will not have to move to another other party. I also believe that because the issues are under serious discussion by the major leaders and stakeholders of this party, I will ask Mr President that, that announcement be quarantined – contained; and give us leaders of the party an opportunity to use all avenues to address.

“Mr President, very seriously speaking, this matter should be stepped down until we exhaust…

In his response, Mr Saraki made reference to the absence of the Deputy Senate President, Ike Ekweremadu, at plenary due to the siege laid by security operatives at his Abuja residence.

“Your point of explanation is noted. I’m sure that you have seen the seat beside you is absent. As we speak now, the deputy senate president cannot get out of his house, he’s under siege,” he said, saying he escaped a similar experience.

“This is not something that has started today, it will not end today. People have gone and come back, but these kind of actions do not allow for what you are speaking. You have been here for many years and as such – DSP – as we are speaking cannot come out of his house,” he said.

He thereafter announced that another senator, Abdulazeez Nyako, added his name to the listof defectors.

Mr Saraki said he noted the Senate leader’s stance, but could not prevent lawmakers from leaving the APC.

“I don’t believe it should come to this level where people are kept under siege for something at the end of the day is personal to them. So it is noted,” he added

http://www.thengtimes.com/2018/07/how-senate-leader-failed-to-stop-mass.html?m=1

2 Likes

Re: How Senate Leader Failed To Stop Mass Defection From APC by centoke30(m): 3:44pm On Jul 24, 2018
lol
Re: How Senate Leader Failed To Stop Mass Defection From APC by Munzy14(m): 3:44pm On Jul 24, 2018
saraki is a democrat. leave and let's leave is the message he passed across to the clueless leader.

1 Like

Re: How Senate Leader Failed To Stop Mass Defection From APC by Munzy14(m): 3:44pm On Jul 24, 2018
saraki is a democrat. live and let's live is the message he passed across to the clueless leader.

1 Like

Re: How Senate Leader Failed To Stop Mass Defection From APC by dodelight(m): 3:48pm On Jul 24, 2018
Nigeria is winning!

1 Like

Re: How Senate Leader Failed To Stop Mass Defection From APC by SpecialAdviser(m): 3:50pm On Jul 24, 2018
Honestly this Buhari of an idiot is the biggest political fool I have seen.

Who advises this man for goodness sake?
Re: How Senate Leader Failed To Stop Mass Defection From APC by TimFisher2: 3:50pm On Jul 24, 2018
grin

Anything to send that vegetable to 6ft of no-return is a welcome development

Meanwhile i feel like eating poisoned barbeque

Where can i get it?
Re: How Senate Leader Failed To Stop Mass Defection From APC by fergie001: 3:52pm On Jul 24, 2018
Saraki,
Chai
Ewoooooo

See constructive ishioo
Re: How Senate Leader Failed To Stop Mass Defection From APC by FavourAkponome: 3:53pm On Jul 24, 2018
toothless and clawless lion
Re: How Senate Leader Failed To Stop Mass Defection From APC by crispus09(m): 4:04pm On Jul 24, 2018
lawan is just a yeye senator that is been control by tinubu which the new jagaban(saraki) has just defeated.
Re: How Senate Leader Failed To Stop Mass Defection From APC by belente(m): 4:05pm On Jul 24, 2018
Ok
Re: How Senate Leader Failed To Stop Mass Defection From APC by orisa37: 5:14pm On Jul 24, 2018
Buhari can never pass any Democratic Test. And he knows how to weep for sympathy. Such men are very dangerous to trust.

(1) (Reply)

The Menace Of The Gov. Umar Ganduja Underpass In Kano / 2019: ‘we Are Ready To Die With You’ – Akpabio’s Kinsmen Tell Gov. Udom / Saraki To Loose Senate Seat If He Remained In APC - Tinubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.