Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,019 members, 7,814,486 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:37 PM

Child Naming In Islam - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Child Naming In Islam (6543 Views)

Etiquette Of Child Bearing And Naming In Islam / Palm Wine In Islam / Ruling On Naming A Daughter After Her Mother (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Child Naming In Islam by yakbauer: 5:13pm On Jul 26, 2018
Asslamu Alaikum,
Please I need help and guide with Sahih sources of Hadith as regards naming children. Not the types of names but naming a child after a parent either alive or deceased.
OK let me be clear:
- Is there any Sunnah that recommends naming ones child (first or any other) after a parent (deceased or alive)?
- Who has d final say when it comes to naming a child, the father or the mother?
Please I need help with answers with concrete backing.
Jazakhallahu Khairan

1 Like

Re: Child Naming In Islam by Rashduct4luv(m): 6:38am On Jul 27, 2018
sarahade:
You have a problem.
Nonsense they will give you one hadith that will tell you to feed you child flesh of the deceased you want to name your.child after.

Mtcheew

When did you become a "mind Knower"? It's like you have the ability to guess what people will type in response to the OP. We ask Allah to forgive you and us. And we are Muslims not flesh eating cannibals/Animals.

19 Likes

Re: Child Naming In Islam by Rashduct4luv(m): 6:48am On Jul 27, 2018
yakbauer:
Asslamu Alaikum,
Please I need help and guide with Sahih sources of Hadith as regards naming children. Not the types of names but naming a child after a parent either alive or deceased.
OK let me be clear:
- Is there any Sunnah that recommends naming ones child (first or any other) after a parent (deceased or alive)?
- Who has d final say when it comes to naming a child, the father or the mother?
Jazakhallahu Khairan

The father has the sole right of naming the child. He can discuss with the mother as regard the name he wants and he can give the right to whoever he wants. And no Sunnah exist that forces you to name your kid after your ancestors. You can name your kid after your parents if such names are permissible in itself. What you mentioned is common is some cultures and we are not forced to follow such.

In Islamic Sharee'ah, some names are forbidden, some are disliked while the rest are permissible. If the name is permissible, then there is nothing wrong in naming your kid such name.

Example of names permissible are Authentic names of Allah joined with -Abd i.e. Abd-Allah, Abdur-Rahman, etc. Names of Prophets e.g Musa, 'Isa, Yuunus, Ibrahim, Muhammad, etc. Names of Sahabah eg Abu Bakr, Umar, Uthman, Ali, etc.

Example of Disliked names are names with bad meanings and ugly or unpleasant meanings. Also names which are sexually provocative. Names after immoral actors, actresses or imitating non-Muslims, etc. Names of Animals (like donkey, goat, pig,) offensive names, names ending with -deen eg Muhyideen, Shamsideen, Qomorudeen, and so much others

Examples of forbidden names are names which makes one a servant to one other than Allah. The great Sahaabi ‘Abd al-Rahmaan ibn ‘Awf (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: My name was ‘Abd ‘Amr – or according to one report, ‘Abd al-Ka’bah – and when I became Muslim, the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) called me ‘Abd al-Rahmaan. (Narrated by al-Haakim, 3/306. Al-Dhahabi agreed with him). Also names of Allah that are specifically for Him are forbidden. Included in this are popular names of disbelievers from other religion or idol worship eg Peter, George, etc.

We asks Allah to increase us in understanding.

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Child Naming In Islam by sarahade(f): 8:35am On Jul 27, 2018
horlarwumhe:

which kind bastard be this?

Your type of bastard

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Child Naming In Islam by sarahade(f): 8:35am On Jul 27, 2018
Rashduct4luv:

When did you become a "mind Knower"? It's like you have the ability to guess what people will type in response to the OP. We ask Allah to forgive you and us. And we are Muslims not flesh eating cannibals/Animals.
Maybe

1 Like

Re: Child Naming In Islam by Rashduct4luv(m): 8:42am On Jul 27, 2018
sarahade:

Maybe

Only Allah knows what is hidden in the breast of men! And there's none like Him.

And mind you, you will be questioned; one day...soon.

3 Likes

Re: Child Naming In Islam by joganut(m): 9:54am On Jul 27, 2018
[s]
yakbauer:
Asslamu Alaikum,
OK let me be clear:
Jazakhallahu Khairan
[/s]

1 Like

Re: Child Naming In Islam by Fundamentalist: 10:01am On Jul 27, 2018
Rashduct4luv:

The father has the sole right of naming the child. He can discuss with the mother as regard the name he wants and he can give the right to whoever he wants. And no Sunnah exist that forces you to name your kid after your ancestors. You can name your kid after your parents if such names are permissible in itself. What you mentioned is common is some cultures and we are not forced to follow such.

In Islamic Sharee'ah, some names are forbidden, some are disliked while the rest are permissible. If the name is permissible, then there is nothing wrong in naming your kid such name.

Example of names permissible are Authentic names of Allah joined with -Abd i.e. Abd-Allah, Abdur-Rahman, etc. Names of Prophets e.g Musa, 'Isa, Yuunus, Ibrahim, Muhammad, etc. Names of Sahabah eg Abu Bakr, Umar, Uthman, Ali, etc.

Example of Disliked names are names with bad meanings and ugly or unpleasant meanings. Also names which are sexually provocative. Names after immoral actors, actresses or imitating non-Muslims, etc. Names of Animals (like donkey, goat, pig,) offensive names, names ending with -deen eg Muhyideen, Shamsideen, Qomorudeen, and so much others

Examples of forbidden names are names which makes one a servant to one other than Allah. The great Sahaabi ‘Abd al-Rahmaan ibn ‘Awf (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: My name was ‘Abd ‘Amr – or according to one report, ‘Abd al-Ka’bah – and when I became Muslim, the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) called me ‘Abd al-Rahmaan. (Narrated by al-Haakim, 3/306. Al-Dhahabi agreed with him). Also names of Allah that are specifically for Him are forbidden. Included in this are popular names of disbelievers from other religion or idol worship eg Peter, George, etc.

Just like you said a father has the sole right to name his child , he can consult the wife but the name must have a good meaning

3 Likes

Re: Child Naming In Islam by managermahmud: 10:06am On Jul 27, 2018
sarahade:
You have a problem.
Nonsense they will give you one hadith that will tell you to feed you child flesh of the deceased you want to name your.child after.

Mtcheew
This is a very insensitive and senseless comment coming from you. Anyway, sense is not common. Not everyone has it.

3 Likes

Re: Child Naming In Islam by SarakiBukola: 10:08am On Jul 27, 2018
Rashduct4luv:

You are very nice, may Almighty Allah bless you for it. I would have responded appropriately to her without wasting time.

"An eye for an eye"

4 Likes

Re: Child Naming In Islam by oyebolaidris: 10:10am On Jul 27, 2018
My bother, pls, call this ustaz (El-Haj Abd Rahman): 08054177299 in sha Allah you will get more than enough information regarding your questions.

Ma salam
Re: Child Naming In Islam by PrinceGallant: 10:24am On Jul 27, 2018
Yes, you can name your child after your deceased one or after yourself or somebody alive. What matter most in naming a child is that it must be good name as explained above.

"Ali ibn Abi Taalib (may Allah be pleased with him) named one of his daughters Faatimah, after his wife Faatima, the daughter of our Prophet Muhammad (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him).

She (Faatimah) was not her mother; rather she was his daughter from another woman, one of the slave women of ‘Ali ibn Abi Taalib (may Allah be pleased with him). So one was called Faatimah as-Sughra (the Younger) and the other was called Faatimah al-Kubra (the Elder), so as to distinguish between them."
Culled from https://islamqa.info/en/228211
Re: Child Naming In Islam by cezarman(m): 10:29am On Jul 27, 2018
So can be clear on your questions, but you just decided to be unclear first?

Why are you behaving like that? smiley
Re: Child Naming In Islam by abdulmalik3(m): 10:50am On Jul 27, 2018
sarahade:
You have a problem.

Mtcheew
you are blunt

1 Like

Re: Child Naming In Islam by Alajiki(m): 11:42am On Jul 27, 2018
Rashduct4luv:

I need you to elucidate more on the names you term offensive. Especially the ones listed and their likes. I'll be so glad to learn.
Re: Child Naming In Islam by yakbauer: 11:56am On Jul 27, 2018
Jazakhallahu Khairan, I'm very grateful

Rashduct4luv:

Re: Child Naming In Islam by yakbauer: 12:16pm On Jul 27, 2018
PrinceGallant:
Yes, you can name your child after your deceased one or after yourself or somebody alive. What matter most in naming a child is that it must be good name as explained above.

"Ali ibn Abi Taalib (may Allah be pleased with him) named one of his daughters Faatimah, after his wife Faatima, the daughter of our Prophet Muhammad (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him).

She (Faatimah) was not her mother; rather she was his daughter from another woman, one of the slave women of ‘Ali ibn Abi Taalib (may Allah be pleased with him). So one was called Faatimah as-Sughra (the Younger) and the other was called Faatimah al-Kubra (the Elder), so as to distinguish between them."
Culled from https://islamqa.info/en/228211

Jazakhallahu Khairan, thanks very much
Re: Child Naming In Islam by sarahade(f): 2:21pm On Jul 27, 2018
managermahmud:

This is a very insensitive and senseless comment coming from you. Anyway, sense is not common. Not everyone has it.

Exactly not everyone has it including you. You think coming on line and asking silly questions will make you enter alujannah.

I've seen people misleading others with evil hadith and I know what I'm saying next thing op will create another silly thread If it's ok to eat before noon or how many times should he feed.

What has naming a child got to do with hadith or if the father dies they will go and ask him what the name of the child is in the grave.

Nairaland is not the place to ask questions go to your imam. We have lots of terrorist and boko haraam people here.

1 Like

Re: Child Naming In Islam by SweetSoup(m): 2:47pm On Jul 27, 2018
Rashduct4luv:

Very informative, please can my children use my first name as their own surname rather my surname? E.g my first name is Yusuf while my surname is Abdulkerim, i want my kids to use my own name Yusuf as their surname. Is this permissible in Islam? Thanks
Re: Child Naming In Islam by Rashduct4luv(m): 4:09pm On Jul 27, 2018
SweetSoup:
Very informative, please can my children use my first name as their own surname rather my surname? E.g my first name is Yusuf while my surname is Abdulkerim, i want my kids to use my own name Yusuf as their surname. Is this permissible in Islam? Thanks

Yes, i read that is the most permissible and also one can use one's grandfather's name or great grandfather's name.

So your kid can be Abdullah Yusuf or Abdullah AbdulKerim (Taking AbdulKarim as either your grandfather's name or great grand father's)

And Allah knows best.
Re: Child Naming In Islam by Rashduct4luv(m): 4:37pm On Jul 27, 2018
Alajiki:

I need you to elucidate more on the names you term offensive. Especially the ones listed and their likes. I'll be so glad to learn.

I don't get your question.
Re: Child Naming In Islam by blessedvisky(m): 7:26pm On Jul 27, 2018
Rashduct4luv:

Why are names like Muhyideen and Samsudeen forbidden? I have two friends who bear either name and one of them is a well respected member of the Muslim community in my hostel
Re: Child Naming In Islam by mavinjay1(m): 6:40am On Jul 28, 2018
blessedvisky:

Why are names like Muhyideen and Samsudeen forbidden? I have two friends who bear either name and one of them is a well respected member of the Muslim community in my hostel
He actually said DISLIKENED.... not forbidden.
I did research on Names ending with Deen and Yet i dont see any whr dat is not accepatable. I donno where he got his facts from.
May Allaah Increase our knowledge. Masha Allaah
Re: Child Naming In Islam by managermahmud: 7:09am On Jul 28, 2018
sarahade:

Exactly not everyone has it including you. You think coming on line and asking silly questions will make you enter alujannah.

I've seen people misleading others with evil hadith and I know what I'm saying next thing op will create another silly thread If it's ok to eat before noon or how many times should he feed.

What has naming a child got to do with hadith or if the father dies they will go and ask him what the name of the child is in the grave.

Nairaland is not the place to ask questions go to your imam. We have lots of terrorist and boko haraam people here.

And your sense didn't still tell you that there are lot of reliable ulamas here right? It's obvious you have limited knowledge on Islamic rulings. Allah ya gfarce ki
Re: Child Naming In Islam by Rashduct4luv(m): 7:37am On Jul 28, 2018
blessedvisky:

It is makrooh to use any name which is added to the words “al-Deen” or “al-Islam” (i.e., names which appear in idaafah – genitive construction – with these words), such as Noor al-Deen (“light of the religion”), Shams al-Deen (“sun of the religion”), Noor al-Islam (“light of Islam”), Shams al-Islam (“sun of Islam”), etc., because these names give a person more than he deserves. The scholars of the Salaf disliked being given nicknames of this sort. Imaam al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) disliked his nickname of Muhiy al-Deen (“reviver of the religion”); Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) also disliked his nickname of Taqiy al-Deen (“piety of the religion”), and he used to say, “But my family gave me this nickname and it became well-known.” So the names are disliked...

1 Like

Re: Child Naming In Islam by Alajiki(m): 3:27pm On Jul 28, 2018
Rashduct4luv:

I don't get your question.

You catehorized some names as offensive. Names like Muyideen, Qamorudeen, Nurudeen and other names ending with DEEN. I want you to elucidate more. How are these names offensive?
Re: Child Naming In Islam by Rashduct4luv(m): 3:49pm On Jul 28, 2018
Alajiki:

You catehorized some names as offensive. Names like Muyideen, Qamorudeen, Nurudeen and other names ending with DEEN. I want you to elucidate more. How are these names offensive?

No, re read again. And I have explained it again.
Re: Child Naming In Islam by sarahade(f): 3:49pm On Jul 28, 2018
managermahmud:

And your sense didn't still tell you that there are lot of reliable ulamas here right? It's obvious you have limited knowledge on Islamic rulings. Allah ya gfarce ki

I have no sense when it comes to terrorist and kafirs .
And no one is reliable except God.
So f*ck off terrorist.
Re: Child Naming In Islam by Empiree: 4:45pm On Jul 28, 2018
mavinjay1:

He actually said DISLIKENED.... not forbidden.
I did research on Names ending with Deen and Yet i dont see any whr dat is not accepatable. I donno where he got his facts from.
May Allaah Increase our knowledge. Masha Allaah
blessedvisky:

It is his opinion. There is nothing wrong with naming your child Nurdeen, Muyideen etc.

Recall that Abdul Qadir Gilani's full name is Muḥyī-al-Dīn Abū Muḥammad b. Abū Sāleh ʿAbd al-Qādir al-Gīlānī al-Hasani wa'l-Husayni.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How A Western Muslim Left Islam / A Suggestion For Nairaland Muslims / Why Are Muslims Easily Brainwashed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.